Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
Survivor
May 27, 2009
Yes, many of us are parents, and are grateful that a game like W101 exists, where both parent AND child can have a shared, (and safe) playspace.

Survivor
Sep 26, 2009
Survivor
Apr 01, 2010
Add me to the list. :)

I went looking for family-friendly games my seven-year-old would enjoy. I tried some others but get bored quickly; then we found this. Now we play together sometimes, separately sometimes, and have our own sets of friends. Kinda funny, actually.

Survivor
Jul 09, 2009
Well I to am an older player, This is my first time going through the forums, found this thread, and thought I'd drop a few lines, from what I can tell we are not supposed to say our age, so lets just say: im no spring chicken LOL, :D I have played many different MMORPG's over the years,
Only thing I really dislike about the game is : Not being able to type out numbers, trying to tell someone what level you are is a PITA, I have went to the site and adjusted my settings and have no parental controls on. Though I have seen others typing numbers, tried to ask how but got no reply. And nothing in the help area about it either.
Anyway see you all in game have fun and Best of luck :D

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Arcainium wrote:
Well I to am an older player, This is my first time going through the forums, found this thread, and thought I'd drop a few lines, from what I can tell we are not supposed to say our age, so lets just say: im no spring chicken LOL, :D I have played many different MMORPG's over the years,
Only thing I really dislike about the game is : Not being able to type out numbers, trying to tell someone what level you are is a PITA, I have went to the site and adjusted my settings and have no parental controls on. Though I have seen others typing numbers, tried to ask how but got no reply. And nothing in the help area about it either.
Anyway see you all in game have fun and Best of luck :D

Welcome to the game! Just a comment about the numbers/level issue.

In the game, if you click on the chat bubble in the upper left corner, and look at the menu chat items, under "friendly", there is a "stats" option. It will tell the other players your current level, manna, etc.

As for the parental controls on your account, make sure that you "enabled" the chat option you want.

Also, on the tabs on the left side of this screen, under "See the Game", there is a Player's Guide that explains a lot (including different chat options).

And under "Wizard Community" tab, there is a link to websites that give clues/cheats for the game. Hope you enjoy the game as much as I do! Have fun!

Julia Rainstalker, currently Level 40, in Mooshu.
(Also have 5 other wizards) Did I mention that I really like this game? LOL

Survivor
Apr 24, 2010
Hello from a new "older" player. As I understand, we can't mention our age, but let's just say I was in diapers when my dad was lying on his belly in front of the TV, filming the live transmission of the first moon landing.

I've been playing MMOs for years now and I have tried many of them. Some stuck, most didn't. But I'm always on the look-out for something new. Wizard 101 has caught my eyes before, but a few days ago I finally decided to give it a whirl. And, boy, am I loving it!

I have no children of my own, but after a few fleeting moments of "guilt" I figured: "this game brings out the child IN me" and I felt that was as good an excuse as any. So I signed up. :)

This game is quite simply amazing in its deceiving simplicity. I can certainly see how parents would view this game as a good learning experience for children. The graphics are gorgeous, and the whole card system is unique in MMO land. My balance wizard is now level 12, and in these few short days I have had more challenging encounters than I ever had in any of the other MMOs I've played. A job well done!

I can't wait to see what lies beyond Wizard City.

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
I am a older player and i've been gaming for a few decades :-)
and my wife got me hooked on wizard101about a year+ ago the funny part is it is her first time she played a RPG game ever! lol and she love's it.

me an her play all the time now she is hooked to thus game BIG TIME!! lol
(like iam not lol) she's disabled so this give's her a way to still enjoy life and meet people like we use to do, all i can say is thank you KI you really did help someone enjoy life a little more thank you.

Micheal Redblood
Grandmasterdeath
and wife
Destiny Dreamcatcher
Grandmasterstorm

Survivor
Oct 13, 2008
i am older. i first started to play to make sure it was ok for my two daughters and the rest is history. i really enjoy the concept and the pacing is great. with the exception of marleybone (which drags a bit in the middle), this is a very fun game even after multiple times through.

jason crow
grandmaster death

Survivor
Apr 19, 2010
Older ( and totally New ) player here.

I have a friend who is MMO curious, but was totally overwhelmed by WoW and other similar games. She's pregnant, and has a godson who is also starting to be interested in MMOs and I since I have the most background I set off on a Quest! to find something that was fun, user friendly, and intelligent, while still being appropriate and easy to catch on to.

It goes without saying that I'm now hopelessly addicted. :D
My friend loves the look and feel of the game and is planning on showing her godson as soon as she sees him again.

This is an impressive game, and a wonderful change of pace from 80% of the other Massively Multiplayer experiences out there. Now I just need to figure out how to turn off chat...

<3
Stephanie WildHeart.

Survivor
May 22, 2009
i heard about wizard101 on the tv comercial it is the best video game i've ever played my twin cousins play and so does my little cousin! i play almost everyday but not always but it's the best game! now all you gotta do is make it for mac too so my computer doesn't freeze! WIZARD101 ROCKS 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Survivor
Apr 28, 2010
Older gamer here. How old, you ask? My kids are in college and I just retired from the US Navy. Yeah, that IS old...

Defender
Dec 14, 2009

Hello,

I am an older gamer. Just topped over the hill this year. Additionally, I am disabled and spend a fair amount of time in my house. Wizard101 has become a wonderful way for me to have a social life with other human beings, which I would not otherwise be able to enjoy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven SkullHammer - Level 50 (Grandmaster Thaumaturge)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 25 (Adept Theurgist)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 10 (Initiate Pyromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 9 (Apprentice Necromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 5 (Apprentice Diviner)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 2 (Novice Sorcerer)

Survivor
Feb 16, 2010
I am a older plaer too.. Over the hill and still enjoying the game.
Steven Stormchaser
Talon Ravensong

Survivor
Apr 30, 2010
HI
Well I am an OLD gamer. I still remember growing up and listening to Gunsmoke on the radio.

I am really enjoying my stay in Wizard city. This game is not just for kids.

Any way thanks for the great game.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2008
oh yes i would say there are many older players.
My husband and I play every day :) we enjoy the time we are playing and sometimes when we go on trips (which we do alot) we cant wait to return to play:)
We have also met players who play the same way ie.. in the same house .
My brother also plays. but i cant get the rest of the family who are everywhere to join geesh they dont know what they are missing .
I LOVE this game:)
Monica Sanddust
Grand Master Life

Survivor
Apr 30, 2010
Hi :D My daughter and I discovered the game last summer and were addicted. We backed away for a while, but the new expansion and pet aspect are very exciting for both of us.
I was wondering if there is a thread in the forum specifically designed for adults to introduce themselves. I have many young questing buddies, but I'd kinda like a few near to my age lol.

Survivor
Apr 16, 2010
I'm an older player, and I'm not even a parent to boot.

Of course, my friends would maybe take issue with calling me an "adult", but chronologically I have been one for years now. :)

Defender
Jun 04, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

Yes, there are many older players playing. End of story for that.

Because, adults aren't 'boring' like some kids would say, they wanna have a great time too! So, yes, in conclution, there are many older wizards playing throughout Wizard101!

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
I'm an older player who just became a member yesterday. The game is so much fun. And I'm surprised at the complexity and length. I'm only level 15 and it has taken me quite a while. I still have so far to go... and that is so exciting and what keeps me coming back!

Survivor
Oct 01, 2009
I am also older. I bought a subscription for my daughter who is 11 to play.. Because of her schedule with sports and other activities she rarely does.
So, I thought I try it out. That was last June, LOL :D
I enjoy playing when everyone goes to bed. I find the graphics appealing and doesn't take alot for it to run on my computer.

Survivor
Mar 24, 2010
I'm 33 and play regularly. We pre-screen all media before exposing the kids to it. I started playing to ensure the game was "safe" for my daughters and got hooked. We've been trying to get my wife to play too but she's holding out on us!

Survivor
May 04, 2009
Not me, I'm only 52.

I'll let you know when I get older.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2010
Well I guess this is the place (answering my original question). I have a tough time finding adult gamers "in game" so if you see me, I'm usually in the Drake realm - crowded realms cause my game to lag - I have an older account, not currently subscribed, with Olivia Mystwhisper, Grandmaster Death, Olivia Rose, Master Life, and a couple other Olivia's, myth master, and low level storm. My youngest has a wizard on that account so I've left it to her and started over. Currently I'm trucking around as Olivia Wildheart, death, and I'm halfway through Krok. If ya see me, say hello :)

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
I have met many "older" individuals on the game. I am not old my slef, but age is but a number. Just because your "older" doesnt mean you cant have a good time.