Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 06, 2010
I am also an older player. I love this game :)
Glad to see many more as well! :D

Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
I am a grandma and I love playing the game. I have one character that is finished until a new world opens up-can't wait, and I have another character which I am playing on Mooshu with. Love the game!

Survivor
Jan 04, 2010
Hee, I have to admit there are a lot more older players out there than I first thought.

So I guess that puts me at old-ish..? xD Har, been playing since xmas, and loving it more with each day. I am so hooked. @.@

Survivor
Jan 31, 2010
I am an older gamer. I love this game (used to play World of Warcraft all the time and then I found out about this game. Ended up letting my subscription there lapse because I like this game better and can afford it better! LOL) I have noticed there are still a lot of immature people here and it really drives me nuts! I quest a lot on my own, and rarely ask for help (and usually then its just for really hard bosses). I've had people ask me ALL THE TIME to help them, even with simple quests. Drives me nuts.

Survivor
Oct 03, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

I agree. I am not an "older" person so I don't really know what you are talking about, but I got a feel. That sounds scary, with older people being on.

It can be stressful sometimes, but sometimes you just got to think and say 'That its just a game and it doesn't have anything to do with real life.'

Explorer
Oct 14, 2008
:D I am in the older group and i love playing wizard 101 I love it that i can go on and make friends any time of the day.I can get on at one in the morning lol and still say hi to someone. The only thing i would like to see more of for the older genre's ,is that there be a microphone option.It is a long stretch but i also play many other games of which consist of microphone ussage .

To add it to the game would greatly increase your population. :P Of course it would only be allound for people of the age 8) This is just an idea i thought i would throw out there lol. To all of the people that started wizarding 101 , you did a phenominal job with every aspect of the game I believe that this game will go very far and expand through all of the horizons.I enjoy the game so much that i actually bought almost the whole game . I intend to play this game for a very long time :).

Survivor
Mar 05, 2009
I myself am an older gamer and I have over a dozen friends here that are also older gamers.

Survivor
Feb 10, 2010
Hello all,
Wanted to mention I am an older player also and this is a refreshing change from the drama and rudeness that seems to have taken over WOW. Funny thing is when I tried this game a few months ago did not like the mechanics of it at all but gave it another chance a few weeks ago and realized how much fun it is. :-)

In the last week have been amazed how much of a "thinkers" game this can be, especially in combat using the right cards. Building the right deck of cards combination is a learning process in itself!

I want to thank KingsIsle for a wonderfully refreshing so called kids game that has "older appeal" also.

To the person who started this thread I wanted to mention a forum post somewhere I read where one of the original members of the band Blue Oyster Cult plays this game and loves it. Apparently he is older than dirt. :-)

I would love to group with older players sometime, my in game character is Caleb Goldenleaf and I can usually be found in the evenings on Sunbird server central time.

Survivor
Jan 07, 2010
well i cant say i am an "older" player but i am not a kid lol :P

Survivor
Mar 16, 2010
Adults say Aye!

AYE!

Growing up I never would have thought that adults (anyone over the age of 25) would be a gamer. That of course was my thought, as a kid. Now that I'm one of those...over the age of 25....players I have absolutely no surprise that adults can be gamers. lol Especially if you grew up a gamer.

Once a gamer, always a gamer...Regardless of age ;)

Explorer
Feb 18, 2010
My daughter and I play this game together. We have a lot of fun. My wizard has almost caught up to her level.

Michael Raven Heart
Level 17
Death Wizard

Survivor
Oct 18, 2009
I am an older player too, My husband and I both play this and we love it emensly I cant wait to see what the future unfolds.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
I am an adult and a grandma, and started playing this game when it was Beta, but stopped when it went live and you had to pay for it. I recently came back a few months ago and really enjoy the game. My husband even helped me name one of my wizards! My daughter and her boyfriend started playing the game and bought subscriptions also.

I used to play another game online and was also a test player, but stopped playing because of the competitiveness, and people just kept getting ruder. I haven't come upon this sort of problem yet with W101. People are generally nice, and I can play the game at my own pace.

I'm glad I came back and look forward to the new and exciting additions that are to come.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
Dad player here. It's funny how my kid wanted to see what Wizard101 was about....and now I play it all the time :D

I have have all kind of friends on here, both young and old, and everytime I log on I have a great time playing.

I grew up playing games and I dont think I will every quit.....grandchildren beware (I dont share my toys!!)

Survivor
Jul 31, 2009
Add me to the "old folks" list(half century plus). My son turned me on to this game and I love it. We now have the entire family playing :) I am an old hard core gamer and in response to one comment, I too know who Gary Gygax(sp?) is and personally knew one of his friends that came up with D&D. This game is great and play every night with my wife. Have three grands and am working on a fourth. Thank you KI for a game the entire family can play!

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
I here am a older player

Survivor
Mar 24, 2010
Survivor
Mar 05, 2010
I guess I fit into that category... curse it!

My boyfriend and I play with his kids. I'm very surprised that this game can keep my interest. I mean I've played lots of different mmo and yes this game is 'kiddy' compared but it's just so much fun! My boyfriend and I talk about it sometimes, just how funny it is that we like it so much. :-)

One bad things about the game is just the immaturity of a lot of the players but you find that in any game. Like... "I NEED A GIRL/BOY" it just makes me roll my eyes, especially when they are asking me to be the girl.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
I have been a gamer since space invaders came out for atari 2600 :) and I have to say of all the mmo's I've played ( there is a lot of em too ) Wizard 101 has the highest fun factor of em all so far .Keep it up Kings Isle !

Brian Deathsword Lvl 50 Sorcerer

Survivor
Feb 19, 2010
I started playing this game about 3 weeks ago and love it! Already at level 31. I was playing another online game that all you did was build up city and troops only to have it all wiped out while offline. Got frustrating and boring. Ran across this jewel and can't get enough! Look me up sometime.

Over 50 and still a kid at heart

Finnigan Fireflower
Magus Pyromancer

Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
Another old one here =). I found this (I believe) on the mmorpg site and is really a lot better than Chaotic (another ccg-stye game). At first I was worried about KS-ing here, but then realised that you still got XP and treasures regardless of who killed the mob.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I am half way to pushing up daisies.

I really enjoy RPG's, especially the "friendly" ones like Wizard101. I have a fulfilling life, no regrets, and simply play Wizard101.

I like it when the older generation play rpg's such as this one. More well behaved, well mannered, and generally more fun to play with.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Yeah older gamer here. lets just say my son is in eleventh grade lol. Anyway i played everquest online adventures for 5 years then went to world of warcraft for a few months and finally came across wizard101. I have been playing w101 for 2 months now and have a 43 pyromancer , I must say its alot less frustrating to level up on this game and im finding this game very enjoyable.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
When it comes down to it. We are all children.

We argue like children, become annoying like children, play like children, fight like children.

The difference? We can legally have jobs.

Thats it.

I won't be suprised to find a kid on here that acted much better than an "adult."
Conversely, I won't be surprised to find an adult on here that acted much worse than "child."

Survivor
Mar 27, 2010
I'm also older than the target audience, I do think so. I like the game cause it's shiny, and fun to play. Also, everyone I've talked to so far is really nice. (or else the chat filter is forcing them to be...)

My fiance thinks is kiddish, but then again, he thinks most of the games I like to play online are really really weird.