Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 05, 2010
Survivor
Jul 28, 2009
slewme wrote:

Another old guy here, kids are out of the house semi retired and i love this game. Old time D&D player and been playing mudds before any of these morp's came out but i find that there are several of us out there and only a few rude people but they are mainly in PvP trying to get you riled to make a mistake.
Old Folks Unite,
Angle Bane-Grandmaster Storm

I am an older player also, GrandMaster Storm/Life, and I am as old as my level plus some. I love the game but I have reached my peek except for being able to create new clothes, cards, etc., I sold my my second task items which is the ring and sword by accident, and now I need to collect more scrape iron, and can't find it in either Chelsea or Hyde Park. Very fustrating! I also have a problem with beating Balance in the arena, due to they always shield me. Any suggestions?
Natilie Hexriver

Survivor
Jan 29, 2010
Defender
Dec 23, 2009
I'm somewhat older too, I guess. You can't use numbers in-game, and someone asked me how old I was. I explained, as best as possible through filters, that I am not a kid. She was obviously young. I had to explain to her what grad school was, and didn't believe me when I described it. "Only kids play W101" I heard, and I didn't have the patience to argue. I just needed something to wean me off of WoW, as I crave PvP. This will do for now, although I goofed up my training points and I'm getting my butt kicked. Probably why I'm leveling a balance wiz right now.

And I'm not "that old". Just really, really early thirties. Darn whipper-snappers...

-Wolf Ashrunner, Grandmaster of Death
*BOO!*

Survivor
Nov 19, 2009
I am a mother of an almost teenager, and he got me hooked on the game. He doesn't even play anymore, so I bought my own membership and have a girl for almost all the schools. I love this game! I'm very impressed with the mounts and new school houses for purchase (even though the prices are a little steep). I'm waiting anxiously for new worlds to arrive and maybe castles for GH.
A couple ideas though, I'd love to be able to gift housing items and equipment to other players, not purchase them for crowns or gold, just give out of your own stash of goodies.
I'd also like to be able to dye my mount whatever color I wanted. Can you imagine a horse of many colors running around WC?
And last, but not least, I would love for there to be equipment available for Grand Master level at the bazaar.
But I digress!
I have made some wonderful friends from all over the world, and yes they are adults also. And in the words of my wonderful son, "Wizard 101 rocks!"

Elizabeth Darkheart
Master Necromancer

Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
i to am an older player. then fun i have had is worth a million bucks. :D
i look forward to my time to play and the friends i have made. some older some younger. my son made a comment that with Wizards101 i have been lucky that so many have been pleasant to game with. in his experience with other games he has run into some not so fun to play with.
have several wizards and will create more as i get them up to grandmasters. HOWEVER, i would really love to see the program expanded.
i dread the day i have no more room for another wizard and no more worlds to explore.
PLEASE expand, this is the best game out there.
thank you
a wizard of many faces

Survivor
Jan 29, 2010
Older player here. And after playing wow for 4 years and coming to a free mmo. I'm surprised, I'm actually having this much fun. Plus the community is very respectful of each other. If you've ever been on wow forum's, you know what I mean lol. I've recommended Wizard101 to all my coworker's :)

Survivor
Feb 02, 2010
I am an "older" player as well, I absoloutly love this game.
Can't post an age, but I will say that I am older than twenty and younger than 30! Hope thats allowed.

I have been looking for a game like this and found this one by chance on my browser. It's better than I was looking for. My husband is annoyed because I ignore him, but I am hooked!
I love Harry Potter so this game is just for me!
Its not the same as HP but VERY similar.
For instance, the likeness of Malistaire to Voldemort. I love the similarities without it seeming like a rip off.

Survivor
May 12, 2009
Hi, I'm another older player. I love this game. I play with my grandkids and I have met some great friends on here Young and Old. I have four grandmasters and working on two more.

Keira Flame-Fire, Keira- Life, Keira- Ice, Alia Death, and Keira Dawn- Storm

Survivor
Jan 29, 2010
My husband and I started playing a few weeks ago and I love it. I have been a gamer for a very very very long time. I have gone through and done most of the MMO's and was bored one day and saw a commercial for this game. I said heck why not and got hooked and then hooked my husband with me. I really love this game and am so glad I found it.

Tal

Survivor
Dec 29, 2009
I am a "grandmother-age" older player. I discovered this game after leaving WoW. I just couldn't take the stress and aggravation of that game anymore. For the most part I find this game to be much more relaxing and enjoyable. I do keep friend requests and trades turned off, and I made the chat bubbles and text box go away, too. Not because I am anti-sociable but because there are so many children playing and I'm not comfortable dealing with the inappropriate dating type chats as well the "noob" taunts. I came here from WoW to get away from all that nonsense.

level 46 Balance/Life wizard
level 14 Storm/Myth wizard

so far...

Survivor
Feb 15, 2010
Me and my wife just started last night we are both 25+ years of age and we came on to play with my little brother of 10.

Figure it a good way to keep in touch with him and do something with him, i played wow for 4 yrs leading a top guild there for 3+ yrs and lineage 2 retail for 4 years as well , just recently left jade dynasty where me and my wife and some friends from wow ran #1 alliance there and its still being ran i gave it over to my 2nd in command and i still pop in to check on them.

As of now me and my wife play second life avidly and it is actually were we met and are now together RL with 2 daughters.We still play second life and are now on wizard,i find it a nice change of pace from the seriousness of other mmo's i played, it's very refreshing.

Survivor
Jan 09, 2009
I'm *somewhat* older

(hides age) :P

I've been playing mmorpgs for years now. I've played everything from Lineage to Cabal to Aion. I love this game. I will say with all the action packed.. and grinding games I've played. I am most perplexed with the menu chat >.< LOL

I worry I come off rude to younger players.. because it takes me forever answer.. most of the time they've ported away by the time I find *ok* :P

Being in my 20's I do find this game fun and it has a lot to offer all age groups.

Suri Rain ~Ice

Survivor
Jan 20, 2010
My husband and i both play and we are older adults though we are truely kids at heart. husband saw an ad on tv one day while our daughter and him were watching cartoons together he came to the computer room and started a charater and played for a couple weeks i am a facebook junkie and started playing W101 about a month ago, we both have our own accounts and pay the monthly subscription to play my computer died about a week ago the power supply went out so we now just have the one comp to play on he has been playing an alt and i haven't played at all we are getting new computers soon so we can start playing together again real soon have missed playing so much if you need help or just a friend to hang out with Jennifer Fairycaller is the name and the husband and i just started doing quests in marlybone if anyone is interested in hanging out with us

Survivor
Jan 23, 2010
I am one of the older players on here, daughter saw this game on an ad and I decided to look into it and I say its a pretty enjoyable game, very family oriented. I am 30 yrs of age and have been a gamer mostly all of my life. I like the turn base card gameplay and I like the story. Most of the games I have played don't have very good stories.

If you want to add me my name is Taryn Skullbreaker (lol) My family plays mostly in the afternoons.

One thing that bothers me is that there is no mods in game and I have seen people scamming others out of cards, while they promise them a mount. Luckily I play with my kid and I can put an end to it quickly, there really should be some mods to advert this.

Sorry if I necro-ed the forum LOL

Survivor
Jan 16, 2010
I'm old enough to remember Atari, The Muppet Show and George Burns I get home before my husband and play for a few hours whilst dinner is cooking. It is really quite fun and its good to know that I'm not alone! I'm just at level 26 balance & fire but I'm really getting the hang of it!

It is wonderful to know that I'm in such good company!

Survivor
Feb 07, 2010
I would not consider myself "old" but I have two teenagers, one of whom plays the game with me.

Survivor
Jan 09, 2010
i am so happy to find out im not the oldest player in the game...
ok so next question how do i meet people.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
judy4760 wrote:

About 50% of the people who have 'adult talk' seem to actually be adults, and after about 5 minutes of talking with them, you'll know for sure :)

Look for the lack of a talk symbol next to the current title people are carrying.

Survivor
Jan 09, 2009
MikeStrath wrote:
judy4760 wrote:

About 50% of the people who have 'adult talk' seem to actually be adults, and after about 5 minutes of talking with them, you'll know for sure :)

Look for the lack of a talk symbol next to the current title people are carrying.

I know there are 3 different chats.. How can you tell who actually has the over 18 chat? I know how to tell the under and over 13 chat... just not the over 18 one.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

I am not that old myself, but this game is just so fun I would play it till i couldn't the screen anymore! 8)

Survivor
Jul 12, 2009
I'm not exactly "older" but I am older than most people picture players of W101. Im a teenager, and have loved computer games all of my life; and I got hooked The first Half-hour I played it! Great game, if a little pricy. :?

W101 Rocks!

.•*´¨)
`¸.•´¸.•*´¨)¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•Matthew Soulblade Level 26 Diviner.•*´¨)
`¸.•´¸.•*´¨)¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
Older gamer here too. Past the half-century mark. I'm a grandma in real life but a kid at heart. I play computer games more than my grandkids. I love playing Wizard101.

Survivor
Jan 09, 2010
Let's just say I'm a SAHM who got hooked while standing over the kids telling them to get ready for dinner. LOL. It's fun and stress free. I recently read an article about women over the age of 40 being the largest community of online gamers. When I thought about it I wasn't surprised and I feel less guilty now, too!

Community Leader
Much Older ;) I play with a very large group of adults.