Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 08, 2009
Grandparent here. My grandson has stopped playing here much but I'm still on almost every day. I love it!

Survivor
Feb 02, 2009
I'm an older player too. I started playing for free a little over a year ago, finished what I could of the wizard city quests (because of being a free account) and then stopped playing because I couldn't really get any further except leveling up. My death wizard was a level 10 when I stopped playing. Since then I got into playing some other online games and have experienced some of the same annoyances. At Christmas (on Christmas day to be exact), I saw where they were having the special membership price so I took it and am now a member. My death wizard is now a level 36 and currently working quests in MooShu and Grizzleheim. I have had a lot of fun. Lately, I have been having to do a lot by myself because I lost a lot of the friends I had before but I am getting back into the swing of things. I am learning a lot about the game everyday and having a lot of fun. :)

Survivor
Dec 18, 2009
OMG!! That is such a relief my son got me hooked on it when he started playing then I got my husband hooked and not we play more then he does. I always felt bad when other players would try to talk to me because I felt that I shouldn't due to my age but it is SO NICE to know there are other "older" players like ourselves. I REALLY love playing this game!

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
Explorer
May 04, 2009
20 year old here. (Someone quote if you think that counts as an older player) XD I might not count lol!

Survivor
Nov 16, 2009
There are a lot of us older players here, my grown up daughter got me playing this game about a month and a half ago. She and her husband both play and their twins think it is just awesome. The best part about the whole game is that it's so player friendly that even preschoolers like my grandbabies can play with no problem. The only drawbacks I've seen is you get an occasional jerk who jumps into your fights just to get credit for the kills, even thought both gamers usually get credit it's not fair to the one who has been setting up a trap for someone else to jump in and use it with out at least asking. And once in a while you get someone who gets upset because they try talking to a little kid who can't answer them back. I mean really how many preschoolers do you know who can read what you are saying much less type their own answer. Other than that I think this is a wonderful game, that has given me something to do during the long days of bed rest. Thanks W101.

Survivor
May 13, 2009
there are many older players in game some are older than others most are very nice being a grandpa my self i have been hooked for a long time

Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
I played EQ, EQ II then LOTRO, am now 42, and this is a very watered down version of those MMOs, but it's fun, and I can play whenever, don't have to group, be guilded or in a Kin...ppl don't expect you to be on, whatever, it's nice.

Survivor
Jan 13, 2010
Yes I am an older player and like this game. I must admit though that since most of the players are young and seem to be in their own groups, that it is hard to get someone to talk to. People used to friend me, then I think they figured out I was older as I didn't use all text terms, and then they shunned me. I feel it is an unfriendly environment for older people. I wish there was someplace to go to meet the older players and hang out with them. thanks.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2009
i'm not a older player but i think that this game is perfect for anyone at any age

Survivor
Jan 17, 2010
3 decades+ here. Same story. Downloaded because my lil daughter saw the add while we were surfing around the net. Super cute game, made her a toon, started playing. Now I play and she watches. The game is very fun, won't let you get so lost you have no idea what to do, and seems like an enjoyable community. Started with a month subscription, we'll see how it goes from there ^^

Survivor
Jan 08, 2010
i love this game! and i got some of my friends to play too. i am 23 years old. you can post ages if you enable the adult chat, but people who do not have it cannot see. i dont get the whole censoring of the numbers either. it isnt a big deal, but i can definitley see censoring other stuff. i like how they take care of reporting on here too, unlike other games where they seem to encourage harrassment. although, i do see a lot of arguments in the game over the most ridicuclous things, such as, a group of wizards were chatting and they were all picking on one person just because they were new, calling them a noob, in a very harsh manner. i dont even know why they allow you to type noob when they dont allow you to type numbers. anyways, who cares if someone is a "noob"? seriously. does it really matter? we are all here to play the game and have fun, and let it stay fun. dont scare anyone away and make them not want to play because they are getting made fun of. remember we were all new to the game at one point in time. seriously... some of these kids are real young and some may take it to heart and be afraid to play because they are scared they are just going to be made fun of the whole time. and some kids making fun of someones outfit on there is just rude too. anyways, sorry for ranting, i just dont get it sometimes.
:)

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
I am a kid, but yes, I think I actually run into more adults than I do kids, I understand why. This game was called a " Harry Potter Rip-off " I mean... hello... haven't you seen other wizard games and decide to say that for THIS ONE. Arg these adults are good in PVP, I find them very " wise " to the game. I think that older players, there is no difference, everyone has the same thoughts and feelings (kind of) and there is no difference between adults and children ( besides age ) and people have their opinions, but I am one that is glad of our veteran players :-) I find them very helpful.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Started playing last summer and I'm celebrating my 45th birthday today. :-)

Survivor
Jan 10, 2010
Another older player here, 4+ decades. I've been a gamer for a long time and played many MMORPGs hardcore. But like anything else, those things get old fast and who needs more drama in their lives? I don't.

The best thing for me is that I can play with my wife and daughter something that we all enjoy. Our neighbors oldest got my daughter and then my wife and I hooked on this game. We love it.

Explorer
Nov 01, 2009
I too am an older player. I found wizard101 a couple of months back on facebook and have been hooked ever since. I am very grateful to have found this game because I am currently on sickleave from work and am not able to do much. I am able to sit in my recliner chair with my laptop computer and keep myself entertained every day with wizard101. If it wasn't for that, I would have gone stir-crazy by now.

anyway, I have found most of the people I have met on w101 very friendly and nice. However I have noticed in the last couple of weeks there seems to a lot of boys wanting to "ask me out". I don't understand where this is coming from all of a sudden. I have gotten my husband online playing as well and he wasn't playing for more than a couple of hours when a girl asked him out to.

Other than that I have not really had any issues or problems.

Survivor
Jan 03, 2010
As a middle-aged adult, I thoroughly enjoy playing Wizard101. It is a masterpiece in my opinion. Other MMO's that I have played were too much like work. Wizard101 is simply fun. :D

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
I am not a child and looooove this game. My son and i play together and we have a blast. I know many adults that enjoy the game as well. I have run into a few rude lil toots but i just ignore them and port away. I have only reported one person due to the fact that she said some really awful things to my son, that were way out of line. Anyhoo, just know you are not alone and check out other W101related sites like Diaryofawizard :D Enjoy your journey through the spiral!

Survivor
Dec 14, 2009
Survivor
Jul 13, 2009
Well I am not ashamed to say that I'm a mom and step mom, my oldest step child is 20 and my youngest is 11. My hubby and I started playing with our youngest so that we could have something to do together and now we are all addicted. Its a family affair and we have a lot of fun discussing the game when we arent playing. My hubby doesnt play as much any more but we still enjoy it as a family.
Thanks,
Rowan ShadowSword (Pyromancer Mom)
and
Alexander SpiritHunter (Necromancer Son)

Survivor
Jan 21, 2009
First off I am a GM (Game Master) for a rather well known game on the market. I know first hand alot of the rudeness that takes place in todays MMO's. Now to the rest of the story/post.

My daughter wanted to play so I looked into the game. Once I figured that the game was a good game I made my parent account and set her account under mine so I could control some of what was happening.

She of course then begged me to get her a subscription so I done so for her. She was playing alone alot and sometimes she needed some help but didnt have to many friends on the game yet so I made a character to help her out in the free areas. Well she grew out of the free areas rather quickly so she wanted me to get a subscription to help her out more. I figuered with the "Family" pricing only being a few dollars more I done so for my account.

Now for the best part of this whole post.... I have now ended up playing alot on this game because I rather enjoy it. It is a welcomed break from working on games.

Survivor
Jan 03, 2010
Survivor
Dec 22, 2009
im only 13 but my father plays wizard and he is 36.He will be turning 37 very soon.Althugh it is good for adults to play i beileve it is important for people my age and around there teenage years to play something LIKE this beacuse teenagers need the most reilef from stress

Survivor
Oct 24, 2009
well a friend told me about the game
who is an adult too ^_^"

I don't turn my chat talk off
since i tend to lend a helping hand to those
who need it like tips
to find the places for the starter quest like the dark fairies
there is a place where they are very common

my first wizard i made
I did all the questions as if i was the one replying to them
I ended up being in the balance class
I hope they come out with some plush type stuff
of the characters or even figures ^_^
yup I am hoping for the unicorn to be made as a plush
I have a unicorn plush collection so...

Survivor
Jan 20, 2010
Another of the aged class here, just started playing and just opened my subscription last night. Been gaming and roleplaying since I was a youngster and when I finally tried this game, I oddly fell in love with it. Calamity Darkshade is my main name in game if any would like to hook up let me know.