Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 15, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

Hi,

I agree with you, The design of this game is superb. The programmers are excellent, the management of the game, including the scheduled weekly maintainance is first class.

I am older. :P I am a parent and I have encouraged my children to play. I've encouraged my friend to play, and her children. :P

I think this game is really good, I love the filtered chat for kids, even though most of them have figured ways round it, it is there and makes for a safe environment for everyone.

Social, fun, strategic - this game is learned in minutes, yet takes patience and stamina to master. Perfect combination.

Dont feel bad about being grown and enjoying Wizard. Wizard rocks!

KI - great job, well done!

Grogglelet - an alias for various and multiple wizards who meander through the streets and fields of the spiral. :P - personally, I think they may be looking for their pension, though I doubt very much they'll find it! Guess they'll just have to keep looking, wont they? :)

Survivor
Dec 26, 2008
Im an older player. I just got in to. Im just really hooked on this game, im also female, but my character is a boy. We should have a gatheirng of all the older players on a certain realm.

Johnathan Wraith
Level 26 Fire

Survivor
Sep 30, 2009
I am also a older player with kids grown up. My wife got me hooked and now we have the kids hooked to. I usually have friend request off till I meet someone in battle that just wants to have fun. No person should ruin your relax time and fun. Most of my of my Friends are the same married and have kids. I am picky about adding someone.

I do like the idea about the adults being able to play on a server or realm with other adults. Then the kids could pester other kids instead.

Survivor
Jul 17, 2009
Another older player here :) It would definitely be nice to find some older player friends with whom to go through quests and the like! I've heard of the Wizened Wizards group... just waiting for it to open back up for accepting membership. It looked like it was closed? Happy gaming to you all :)

Tristan Thorn-- Initiate Necromancer
Rowan Silverglade-- Adept Diviner
Moira Rainsong-- Apprentice Theurgist

Survivor
May 09, 2009
Adult wizard here. My nephew told me about this game. I've been playing MMOs for several years and decided to give it a try. I enjoy the slower pace of turn based combat.

Survivor
May 31, 2009
I am an older player, I love this game. I have been playing RPG for a long time now (huge Zelda fan), and Wizard 101 by far comes close to my obsession with Zelda. This game appeals to all ages. I hope they keep adding worlds and more stuff to do.

Survivor
Dec 29, 2008
Hey look at it like this. You're never too old to be a kid. You may grow out of the years when you're referred to as the age of a kid, but as long as you have fun and do what you like you can still be a kid. I thought I was old for the game but looking through this it seems most people are older. So just play and have fun.

Survivor
Dec 02, 2009
Yep! I just signed up today after trying the trial and getting my ice wizard up to level 9 and realizing I needed a subscription to continue. I am definitely an older player in her college years. No longer a teenager as well. There should be no shame in enjoying something that is just pure fun. :) Regardless how old you are.

Survivor
Sep 14, 2009
I am an older player, and i am totally hooked! I even got my husband playing! Its so fun after a day with a toddler!

Survivor
Apr 14, 2009
I am an older player as well. I witnessed my nephew playing this one day and I asked him what it was called. I later tried the game myself and have been hooked since. I am in my mid Twenties and I enjoy this game a lot. :P

Survivor
Sep 30, 2009
I am a mom, grandmom, and I love wizzard 101. It's the safest, most fun game for all from 9 to 99! I would recommend this game to people of all ages. Thier chat filters are the safest for our children to play and not worry about being harrassed by predators! It defenately makes you think, so it's a great teaching tool. It makes you read, to give the best output you want. It's helpful for learning the concept of teamwork. Wizzard 101 is in my opinion one of, if not the best online multiplayer game on the net. I am proud to say that I am a wizzard101'o-holic!! Great job!!! to all who have had a hand in the wonderful creation of a game.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2009
willow13760 wrote:
I am an older player, I love this game. I have been playing RPG for a long time now (huge Zelda fan), and Wizard 101 by far comes close to my obsession with Zelda. This game appeals to all ages. I hope they keep adding worlds and more stuff to do.

I, too, am a huge Zelda fan. I've been playing Zelda since it first came out.
I don't know if my obsession with Wizard101 equals that of my obsession with Zelda but it sure comes close lol

Survivor
Oct 25, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

Let me Guess... this game is: rune scape? just an idea. I used to play it, and everything you are describing relates to it.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2009
Since were not supposed to post our ages in Wizard 101, I'll just say that I am an older, OLDER player. That is, I'm slightly more than half way through my fifth decade of life. LOL. And I'm male, and I love this game.

Survivor
Jan 06, 2009
Hi, nice to know there're quite a few "oldies" on here. Let's just say I could've probably been at school with most of the teachers when they were kids. Love gaming..always have,always will

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Older player here, introduced to the game by my daughter and never left. now we have three generations in this family playing wizard101, myself, my daughter and her eleven year old and the six year old has a character on the eleven year olds account.
We live thousands of miles apart so wizard is one way we get to run around and play together. We have a program that allows us to talk as we play so have a lot of fun and take the game as a way of communicating with each other in a manner that is much better then just talking on the phone.
Yep, three generations of wizard101 players in one family!

Survivor
Nov 12, 2009
I am an "older / old" person enjoying my time in Wizard 101. I agree with what you said, Laady, especially about other online games. The anonymity seems to make people more brazen than they would be face to face.

Wizard 101 has captivated me like no other game yet. The fighting is awesome (you can jump in to help someone or be helped when in trouble). I find this game to be very organized and structured nicely. The chat part is "interesting", trying to find the words allowed. lol I wonder if the kids have to spell correctly now...

Yes, there are older gamers out here playing.

Survivor
Nov 29, 2009
I am in that middle demographic between two and a half decades and five and a half, male and a parent. It was my daughter that found this game after seeing the commercial on the tube. I had to check it out to make sure it was ok. It is far more than ok with some caveats. Chat is easy to beat. There are plenty of code words that the kids have figured out to get around the filter. I have noticed a difference in the generations in how friends are added in online experiences, whether here or elsewhere. Older players tend to be more cautious about the people they add. I let them add me generally. Nine times out of ten they want to trade treasure cards. Fine. It gets tiresome when I am in the middle of a quest and somebody is asking me to come bail them out of a situation, but I usually oblige on that too. My daughter is in the under a decade bracket, so I turned off the open chat and left her with the menu options for the reason cited above. This is the first game I have ever paid to play online. It is a reasonable amount considering the untold number of quarters I have fed into arcade machines over the years.
Needless to say I am thoroughly addicted to this well thought out and presented game.

Survivor
May 10, 2009
hi.i am kevin dark flame.my dad started a new charther last year he is grandmaster! he rocks the house!

Survivor
Aug 06, 2009
My wife was on facebook when i seen the ad for wizard101. So i looked it up to see what it was about and been here every since. Yes i to am an older gamer.

James Nightshade
Grandmaster Death/Myth

Survivor
Dec 16, 2009
As an older player (read great-grandmother), I find this game relaxing. I have two moderated accounts (a level 3 skiller and a level 118 killer) on a popular browser-based MMO and have cancelled membership due to the inability/unwillingness of the company to control the disgusting account names/language.

Wizard is a game that adults can enjoy and parents can feel safe in allowing their kids to play!

Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
Burpo wrote:
Older player here.
I am a mother of twins
Brianna Griffianbran
level 50 Fire :-)

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
There was once a negative post called "I am completely disgusted and outraged" that was made by an adult. My friends and I thought it was wrong and mean. We love this game.

There are many, many older gamers on wizard101. It can be a complex game and adults may find it easy. In fact, if you have a friend who helps you and who has impressive equipment (maybe stitched) and spells, you may be friends with an older gamer. Adults have gone through learning and are usually very strategic!!

So there are players of all ages on wizard101. Goes to show how great a game it really is!!

Survivor
Dec 26, 2009
Older player and experience player with other games. Had my daughter during christmas break. She got me hooked on it.