Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
Survivor
Mar 20, 2009
Its totally normal. I've met several "older" individuals like you and myself while playing this awesome game. Best online game environment i've played on ever. Keep up the great work!!

Survivor
Jun 02, 2009
Yes there are many older gamers that play Wizard 101! I started playing with my kids about 2 weeks ago and immediatly got hooked.

Here is some more of us older gamers........
http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31597

Survivor
Mar 21, 2009
I am an "older" player as well. I just stopped playing an online game for the same reasons. Greedy and rude players. We need more fun! Only drawback I see is that once you reach level 50 there is nothing left to accomplish so until new world comes lots of people have stopped playing. Anyway good luck and if you need a friend let me know!

Survivor
Oct 23, 2008
just call me grandma lol and i still play and i love it

Survivor
Jul 22, 2008
I'm an older player (read:adult) without even a child on site, and I love it. Very stress free and fun game to play! :D

Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
Older player here. I have all chat options off so there could be all kinds of drama and i have no clue. Love the game though.

Survivor
Oct 19, 2008
I'm not a kid, but I find this game quite enjoyable and a great change of pace from some of the other MMO offerings out there. I'd say it's absolutely normal. :)

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
I too am a older player and a grandmother. I have all grown children and 2 of them are now playing. I too was surprised at just how many older people are actually on here playing. Keep up the great work we all deserve it. And yes I was hooked the very same day I started, which was a little over 3 months ago.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
My fiance makes fun of me for playing "kid stuff" as well. Basically, I don't like other MMO's. They're boring and basically all the same. This one is much more unique.

What do you consider an older player? I'm still young, but no longer a teenager. I assumed most players were probably adults, anyway... at least in the pay areas.

Survivor
Dec 15, 2008
Older and have many kids and love playing this game. And yes this game is put together very nicely!! And they keep adding more stuff. :)

Survivor
Dec 25, 2008
You'll quickly find that a lot of 'older' people play this game. This can be either because of their kids playing, they need something to do during down time, or they just got tired of the usual MMO games and needed a little something different.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
Older player here, and I switched from another MMO (one of many) to play something that does not contain tons of too realistic violence so that the kids kan have a look at it without being exposed to things they shouldn't.

Best of all, our oldest (who cannot read and write yet) can even try to play at times. And we don't have to babysit her all the time while she does.

But I'm hooked more than she is.

So I'd say it is perfectly normal. Does your boyfriend read comic books? Those were supposed to be for kids only in the past as well. :P

Like so many others stated: finally a game that is just fun.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2009
I started playing to see if this game was appropriate for my nephew, who lives with my wife and I. Now I'm just as hooked as he is. 8)

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
oh I am a wife and mom and my friends are all parents or at least adults.

Most of the adults I know play the quests and are high level. Kids tend to be here more for the pvp and bragging rights. Not that that is the rule but something I noticed. (smile)

Don't feel alone because your not. I think I like it here because it is less blood and guts and still challenging.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
I am an older player and I love the game and so does my kids, and yes it does take a lot of drama out of your real life. That is why i love to play the game. If I am feeling stressed and want to get away I just open my pc and log on and just enjoy the rest of my day.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
My wife and i recently became great-grand parents. Is that adult enough? :D She and I both play the game, have our own accounts and we bought my wife a new computer for her birthday because of W101. We are giving our mature, adult kids updated computers so we can introduce them to the game.

I would love to have a 'group' of players that are grandparents get together and help each other out. I think it would be fun. Especially when Grizzleheim comes to the live realm. They will have a much better chat section. So if any of your are game, just respond on this board and we can go from there.

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
I am definitely and older player and I have played almost every MMO out. I definitely agree with the problem now with people being rude and unruley in most of the games. I have only been playing W101 for about a week and I love it. I started playing with my daughters and I think I am more hooked than they are. :D

Hope to see you all in game, would be fun getting a group together once they start adding things to the game. Overall its been a great experience for a 40ish person :D

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
I am an older player and all of the kids are out of the house, one with child (makes me a grandparent). The reason I started playing is because these are the only kinda games we ( my wife and I) like to play! I was in a street fight the other day with a kid and was telling him about the "good old days" with pen and paper D&D, naturally he had no clue. So I would love to hang with the older "kids". Look me up in MB right now, getting close to done with it though. I have no problem helping when I can, I even pull off of quests and instances to go help.

Antonio Deathgiver
magus life\myth
William Icespear
magus ice\balance

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
Older player here. Let's just say my two sons got me into the game.

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
I am old enough to know better but too young to resist. I have 2 children that are 10 that play this game.

Survivor
May 09, 2009
Well aged here as well. I started playing so that when my son wanted to play I would have an idea what was happening and be able to explain it to him. Well long story short I have stopped playing the other MMO I was subscribed to, dropped $60 for a full year and play more than my son. Whatever KI did they did it well.

Defender
May 15, 2009
I would say that my wife and I are older than the types who use "boyfriend" and "girlfriend". :-)

I am old enough to remember Gary Gygax (I played when Advanced D&D came out).

I am old enough to remember Nolan Bushnell (founder of Atari...still have my 2600).

This game has very sound fundamentals and mechanics for any age; the "wrapper" (cartoon-y look, etc.) is irrelevant in that regard. I.e. you can take the same game and stick any gory adult theme to it and you wouldn't be asking the original question.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009

Another old guy here, kids are out of the house semi retired and i love this game. Old time D&D player and been playing mudds before any of these morp's came out but i find that there are several of us out there and only a few rude people but they are mainly in PvP trying to get you riled to make a mistake.
Old Folks Unite,
Angle Bane-Grandmaster Storm