Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

anyone lend a hand on understanding deck building?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 04, 2009
so i've been off and on with this game for years, ever since its launch all the way to now (just subbed again after like 2 years away or something) and one thing that made the game a drag was the combat, sure when your not trying to get anywhere is fun! but if you try to cross the road that get grabbed by the enemy well thats a drag (no pun intended)

it wasn't until about a few years back that i learned the deck i was running (through the entirety of dragonspyre mind you) with my balance wizard was more for bosses then for standard mobs, i was runing most of my attack buff's most of my shields my low pip and high pip stuff too (i also have a deck using the hydra card as the main attack but it too has a bunch of buff cards for the three elements).

that same person said that you really shouldn't have that for mobs, bosses are fine but mobs drag on, what i should really be using for them is what ever spell you have as your lowest should be what your starting pip count is, also depending on how often you get power pips.

however this is a new concept to me, so im not sure what go's where at this point, if any veteran player could give me a breakdown of this deck building it would be it appreciated

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
hatter999. on Jul 31, 2018 wrote:
so i've been off and on with this game for years, ever since its launch all the way to now (just subbed again after like 2 years away or something) and one thing that made the game a drag was the combat, sure when your not trying to get anywhere is fun! but if you try to cross the road that get grabbed by the enemy well thats a drag (no pun intended)

it wasn't until about a few years back that i learned the deck i was running (through the entirety of dragonspyre mind you) with my balance wizard was more for bosses then for standard mobs, i was runing most of my attack buff's most of my shields my low pip and high pip stuff too (i also have a deck using the hydra card as the main attack but it too has a bunch of buff cards for the three elements).

that same person said that you really shouldn't have that for mobs, bosses are fine but mobs drag on, what i should really be using for them is what ever spell you have as your lowest should be what your starting pip count is, also depending on how often you get power pips.

however this is a new concept to me, so im not sure what go's where at this point, if any veteran player could give me a breakdown of this deck building it would be it appreciated
Typically go for smaller decks for mob fights. A couple AOE and sun fists (highest one you have) and a couple blades.

Bigger decks for bosses

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
I've been playing for years, and one of the best pieces of advice I've gotten is that your main deck should be a relatively small deck in terms of what you pack when facing monsters on the street. Make it only one or two hits, and as few buffs as needed to make those hits finish the enemies. Also, I usually have maybe 2-3 decks at least, and specialize them. Currently I have 1 small deck that I pack the bare minimum needed to kill the average monster, 1 large deck that can take on bosses or tough enemies I don't want to specialize for, and the last deck that has a ton of open slots so I can pack specific shields, converts, and manipulations for hard bosses. This makes it faster and easier to just switch between named decks (Which was a fantastic QoL buff, thanks KI) for different situations.

Personally, I avoid putting in lower rank spells unless they have a part in my strategy. Since you seem like a Balance wiz around level 42ish I'd recommend mostly relying on Judgement, Sandstorm, and Hydra with buffs for each to quickly kill enemies. It may be worth a couple fights seeing how few buffs you can apply before a Sandstorm can wipe the enemy, as that can really speed up the average minion fight. Once you get Power Nova definitely spam that one, as AoE attacks are great. However, I haven't played a Balance wiz in forever, so some people may have more specific tips for you.

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
It is different between bosses and street. I even keep a separate deck for the daily assignments.

I always run solo so my info might be different for you. My street theory is "hit and run". Look at the life score of your foe and in your head you should be able to tell which of your spells will kill in one shot. So blades (one from my school, one multiple), charm yourself ie; use spell that gives you a boost for 4 rounds, charm your strike card with the "fist" cards and somewhere in there shield yourself. Typing this out it sounds so complicated. Your street deck should be lean - so maybe 2 of what you need. Your boss deck will be different in that his much higher score will take more rounds to finish. In lots of boss fights I also cheat. I use Henchmen to help me. Your first one should always be Life. You can't dispatch a boss if you're dead. Try them out to see which one works best for you. Some of them have a spell or two of their own. Higher score bosses plus minions may also need 2 or 3 henchmen. Choose ones that are not your school or your foe's school for max hits. Keeping my street deck that lean was scary at first. It didn't feel like enough. I went back to lower level lands to experiment with my cards until I had in my head which ones would do what in what order. I've never run a Balance wizard so I'm not familiar with the cards. Believe in yourself. You're the one with the power even when you're facing 4 enemies. You'll find a way that comfortable for you. Have fun and good luck
Sydney Skyblood lvl 95 Fire

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
The standard advice is to have separate spell decks for mob fights vs boss fights. For me, being as scatter-brained as I am, I tend to forget to swap spell decks.

Therefore, I do use only one spell deck, but it's moderately sized and packed to allow me to switch roles rapidly in battle. My decks typically have about 20-30 cards. With an even mix of blades, traps, small heals, single hits and AoE hits, my wizard is ready for anything. With careful discarding (keeping things together that go together), usually I can take out mobs in 2-3 rounds with an AoE. If there's a boss, I just set up again and use a single hit the next time.

I use the same spell deck for everything except for specific cheating bosses or harsh dungeons - in those cases I set up a special deck with that particular instance in mind and prepare for the conditions I'll meet in there.

Alia Misthaven

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I usually have 2 blades, 2 monstrous, 2 spells that hit everything, 2 wand blasts, and shuffle. The shuffle is in case something goes wrong. If I need to use prisms then my deck may go as high as 15 cards. Shuffle as a treasure card is a good idea, if your regular shuffle gets fizzled, since you can draw treasure cards again if they fizzle. I may go to 20 or so cards if I'm fighting a boss.

Remember, the fewer cards there are in your deck, the more likely you will draw all the spells you need within the first three turns.

Remember you can turn off spells you get from equipment, like wand spells. While you have your spell book open go to the bottom left where you can see all the thumbnails of spells your equipment and pets give you. If you click on one a large red X will appear over it and that spell will not be in your spell deck during battle. If you click a red X then the X goes away and the spell will be in your spell deck again.