Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Any point in questing after hitting max level?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 03, 2018
feels like the xp i could've gotten would be wasted into the void

kinda scares me

Survivor
Dec 23, 2008
I personally stop questing when I reach max, but I know lots of people like to continue questing to finish the story line of the world.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
There are more than enough XP to max you out before reaching the end of the next world (or half). if you stop questing once you reach max, at some point, you will wind up worlds behind. I know that I usually hit max in Polaris. If I stopped then, I'd be around 1.5 worlds behind as of now. I really wish that ONE update, they boost the level cap by 20 levels instead of 10 (or 10 levels on each of the 2 halves of the world - like Khrysalis and Empyrea)

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Well, let's describe a couple of players and see which one best suits you the most.

Player A:

• Keeps abreast of the game updates.
  • Intends on running a new world as soon as it appears on the Live Realm.
  • Wants to be a part of groups discussions about content regarding new world and experiences.
  • Doesn't mind questing with new persons.
  • Doesn't mind too much with persons joining battle.
  • Doesn't mind too much when the current questing area is crowded.

Then, you may want to continue the main storyline regardless if you're at maxed or not.

Player B:

• Doesn't care too much about Game Updates.
  • Don't intend on running a world as soon as it appears on the Live Realm.
  • Doesn't mind being "left out of the loop" as it regards new worlds.
  • Doesn't care about spoilers too much.
  • Enjoys soloing rather than group play.
  • Wants/Doesn't mind being a little over-leveled.

Then, you may want to wait until the level cap increases to take full advantage of experiences.

Finally, Player C:

A mixture of both Player C;

Enjoys both solo and group play.
Can deal with spoilers.
Doesn't care too much about being over-leveled or at regular level.
Wants to be a part of discussions involving new world content but not being able to participate won't take away from actual gameplay.

In this scenario, I recommend having at least one max that has completed the storyline while having your other wizards waiting until the level cap increases to continue leveling.

It's up to you in the end.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Sarikata on Feb 18, 2019 wrote:
feels like the xp i could've gotten would be wasted into the void

kinda scares me
Do not fear wasted XP! The KI team always make sure every update includes plenty to reach max level without even needing sides!

You don't need to keep questing but if you enjoy it and want to experience (without experience points) the entire content, all battles etc then keep going without any concerns about 'running out' later.

If you are happy where you are and only really enjoy the feeling of progressing and leveling up, it's fine to stop.

Personally I love questing so never minded 'lost XP' for doing things beyond max...but I always have the confidence that any new release will be carefully structured so I can still achieve max when the level raises no matter how much of the previous content I've done

PS. The one downer of questing at max is no opportunity for those lovely energy refills every level up...but we still get just as many as possible over all...gotta love that whoosh though!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I personally don't quest just for the gold, xp and drops. I quest for the adventure; listening to the dialog and let the game tell you the story of battling evil forces threating the land. Story of hope, freindship and rescuing; " To seek new worlds and explore strange places". "To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before". . I find the game more interesting that way

"

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Something to keep in mind, long about Polaris side quests no longer give XP. They are strictly Gold and Rewards.

So without repeating Star Edward's excellent synopsis, Do what feels right to you.

@Patrick

This... Is... Wizards... It... Is... Our... Duty... To... Explore.

Steven Ghoststalker

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I used to play an mmo, that let you continue to gain exp after you hit the level cap. After you reached max level, you were given a reward each time your exp bar got full, then the bar would empty and you could keep filling it to get more rewards. As far as I know the exp required to fill the bar was the amount required to reach that last level. If the required exp kept increasing I didn't notice.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Zebulous Newt on Feb 26, 2019 wrote:
I used to play an mmo, that let you continue to gain exp after you hit the level cap. After you reached max level, you were given a reward each time your exp bar got full, then the bar would empty and you could keep filling it to get more rewards. As far as I know the exp required to fill the bar was the amount required to reach that last level. If the required exp kept increasing I didn't notice.
That sounds like a nice way to do things - I'd definitely enjoy a few more energy refills here and there!

I'm not sure how it would work in W101 - was the game you were playing as linear as this or do the journeys players take have more freedom/choice as to their direction? I'm just wondering because one of the balancing acts KI has is making sure there is enough XP in the main storyline for everyone skipping sides to still max by the end, but also to make sure that everyone who does all the sides can not get too over-powered for their point in the storyline. We don't want to hit max before we've even entered higher level worlds because we'd have no access to appropriate gear.

Considering the balance described above, I'm not sure there would be enough 'spare' XP in side quests to fill the top level bar repeatedly. We'd maybe get 1 extra energy refill from it if we hadn't done any sides at all then did them all...which also means too few sides available in the content for the next level cap to repeat this extra level up.

IDK, I haven't added together all the side quest XP available. I do know that KI balance it well so that whether I've done all sides or just a few here and there, I don't get too far ahead for the storyline and access to gear to work nicely

I'd quite like a max level way of gaining a free energy refill as a reward