Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

another useless fire spell

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 19, 2010
77
Any other pyromancers out there think that the new spell is weak? I mean look at the stats compared to our last spell and then compared to the other school's equivalents. Fire was supposed to be the second strongest school but now it seems it's falling behind, badly, and with quite a few useless spells (detonate, backdraft, etc). Storm's spell is not only extremely powerful but has an extra effect quite like a few of its predecessors. The effect with most fire spells isn't even worth taking into account, except for efreet which is still my best spell at exalted. Idk, maybe it's just me but what are you guys' thoughts on this?

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
892
You have no idea what you are talking about. "Fire from Above" is an incredibly powerful spell. Combine it with a Gargantuan, and a "pipped" out Backdraft, and the evil bosses of the Spiral quake in fear.

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
5
yea i agree but it still powerful but no one uses fuel in pvp it useless and a waste of pips and with the new spell adds traps that don't really help they should change it to something else because traps aren't good in pvp unless your jading but if your not, you're not gonna use traps. But the base damage i do without a critical is 2300 which is really good on storm and with critical which i hardly possible to critical with the good block is 5500 and these are with no resists btw. But seeing the storm spell it should be nerfed like seriously fire from above is one hit spell and the storm squall is hit all. But they should remove fuel from fire from above and add more use full like a blade or something that is better then fuel because i hardly even worry about the fuel does not even help me

GarrettGhostPants level 100

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
251
It is a pretty powerful spell but it feels more like its for 1v1 or finishing off a boss after killing the minions. The extra traps are nice if you want to use some kind of quick combo in case they manage to survive and you need a few extra hit points.

I had kind of been hoping it would be an AOE (its very rare that I only need to hit one thing and even then AOEs still get the job done).

I also wouldn't have minded if it had a more devastating after effect like removing pips or stunning since there are only a few fire spells with after effects that aren't dots
Efreet, King Atrorius,brimstone reverent and krampus (also a few tcs which I'm not counting until we can train/craft them ).

But yeah fire does have a few spells that are only useful in extremely specific situations but I'm pretty sure every school has some of those. Last time I used detonate it was in avalon on the Dragon version of King Artorius with that infinitely running dragon dot...I hated that thing.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
945
Garrett ghost pant... on Jan 6, 2015 wrote:
yea i agree but it still powerful but no one uses fuel in pvp it useless and a waste of pips and with the new spell adds traps that don't really help they should change it to something else because traps aren't good in pvp unless your jading but if your not, you're not gonna use traps. But the base damage i do without a critical is 2300 which is really good on storm and with critical which i hardly possible to critical with the good block is 5500 and these are with no resists btw. But seeing the storm spell it should be nerfed like seriously fire from above is one hit spell and the storm squall is hit all. But they should remove fuel from fire from above and add more use full like a blade or something that is better then fuel because i hardly even worry about the fuel does not even help me

GarrettGhostPants level 100
Your points are otherwise valid, but PvP isn't the point of the game. I think the spell is perfectly fine as it is now.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
299
Backdraft is useless???
So, a spell that adds 140% damage, and can't be earthquaked off is useless??
But only when compared to supercharge right??
Detonate?? Is far from useless. This spell kills the dragon in Avalon in one hit if you push thew over time at the boss... But... yeah... Useless...lol

Explorer
Mar 19, 2010
77
Sarg042 on Jan 7, 2015 wrote:
Backdraft is useless???
So, a spell that adds 140% damage, and can't be earthquaked off is useless??
But only when compared to supercharge right??
Detonate?? Is far from useless. This spell kills the dragon in Avalon in one hit if you push thew over time at the boss... But... yeah... Useless...lol
Fire is a school mainly focusing on DoT spells in which case backdraft is not very useful and detonate as discord spiders said has only very specific conditions in which it would be useful. I havent really used either of them since i got them unless fighting with another pyromancer that knew what they were doing.

Explorer
Mar 19, 2010
77
Garrett ghost pant... on Jan 6, 2015 wrote:
yea i agree but it still powerful but no one uses fuel in pvp it useless and a waste of pips and with the new spell adds traps that don't really help they should change it to something else because traps aren't good in pvp unless your jading but if your not, you're not gonna use traps. But the base damage i do without a critical is 2300 which is really good on storm and with critical which i hardly possible to critical with the good block is 5500 and these are with no resists btw. But seeing the storm spell it should be nerfed like seriously fire from above is one hit spell and the storm squall is hit all. But they should remove fuel from fire from above and add more use full like a blade or something that is better then fuel because i hardly even worry about the fuel does not even help me

GarrettGhostPants level 100
I guess that is the main reason i think it is weak; that OP storm spell. I admit i got carried away and it isn't really weak but it's really that i think it could be better considering some of the spells other schools got.

Defender
May 17, 2014
168
Zachary Thunderfla... on Jan 5, 2015 wrote:
Any other pyromancers out there think that the new spell is weak? I mean look at the stats compared to our last spell and then compared to the other school's equivalents. Fire was supposed to be the second strongest school but now it seems it's falling behind, badly, and with quite a few useless spells (detonate, backdraft, etc). Storm's spell is not only extremely powerful but has an extra effect quite like a few of its predecessors. The effect with most fire spells isn't even worth taking into account, except for efreet which is still my best spell at exalted. Idk, maybe it's just me but what are you guys' thoughts on this?
I agree fully.

When I crit with my fire dragon I usually do about 3000 damage to each enemy, and then DoT. I'm equipped with a fire shield, +15 star spell, tough and sometimes an elemental blade. Fire from above would do 4000-4500 to ONE enemy and no DoT with the same stats I have (if it crits).

You're also right about storm getting an OP spell. Oh well, I always have a level 40 death to try to get to 100. *sigh*

Explorer
Mar 19, 2010
77
Nicole ShadowSong on Jan 7, 2015 wrote:
I agree fully.

When I crit with my fire dragon I usually do about 3000 damage to each enemy, and then DoT. I'm equipped with a fire shield, +15 star spell, tough and sometimes an elemental blade. Fire from above would do 4000-4500 to ONE enemy and no DoT with the same stats I have (if it crits).

You're also right about storm getting an OP spell. Oh well, I always have a level 40 death to try to get to 100. *sigh*
Yea it doesn't do more damage than sun serpent, which i would usually try to avoid using if i could because it was usually pretty weak. I wish they would at least consider revising this spell.

Explorer
Feb 23, 2012
74
I also agree as well, mainly because we are all ways known as an AOE school. even if the spell is a single hit target the after effect is not worthy its more of an finishing move. other then that I can just fuel up my traps on a someone. 1100 dmg is a solid hit but compared to the rest I would say it little more damage but no good effect.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
365
spell just fine way it is and not all spell meant use for pvp & pve!

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2273
Zachary Thunderfla... on Jan 5, 2015 wrote:
Any other pyromancers out there think that the new spell is weak? I mean look at the stats compared to our last spell and then compared to the other school's equivalents. Fire was supposed to be the second strongest school but now it seems it's falling behind, badly, and with quite a few useless spells (detonate, backdraft, etc). Storm's spell is not only extremely powerful but has an extra effect quite like a few of its predecessors. The effect with most fire spells isn't even worth taking into account, except for efreet which is still my best spell at exalted. Idk, maybe it's just me but what are you guys' thoughts on this?
detonate and backdraft have been 2 spells hotly debated, with few actually giving examples of when they could be useful (in general, not this specific thread). I will say that backdraft has come into its own in Darkmoor. A Potent Backdraft is an absolute assassin when stacked with other buffs. Im glad to see this spell finally get some play time.

As for Fire from Above, I LOVE it. I like that fire gets another one off spell vs another AoE DoT spell. It now is a choice between FFA and Efreet on which to use. They BOTH have their purposes, and from a PvE perspective, you'd be better off hitting with FFA first, then setting up for an Efreet. Why? FFA can hit earlier, do AS MUCH damage as efreet, and leaves those lovely traps, which then Efreet can take advantage of for a huge hit, then leave the weakness..... that is IF your monster even lasts that long

Defender
May 09, 2010
180
Zachary Thunderfla... on Jan 5, 2015 wrote:
Any other pyromancers out there think that the new spell is weak? I mean look at the stats compared to our last spell and then compared to the other school's equivalents. Fire was supposed to be the second strongest school but now it seems it's falling behind, badly, and with quite a few useless spells (detonate, backdraft, etc). Storm's spell is not only extremely powerful but has an extra effect quite like a few of its predecessors. The effect with most fire spells isn't even worth taking into account, except for efreet which is still my best spell at exalted. Idk, maybe it's just me but what are you guys' thoughts on this?
Man, that's where you're wrong. Fire is GREAT! Powerful, and all around well-rounded. This school is not "falling behind" in any way. That Fire from above spell is terrifying in PVP!


Survivor
Mar 28, 2014
1
Just a few things,I feel that many pyromancers underestimate backdrafts ability, also I feel that maybe since fire focuses on the DoT spells, that a x3 prism spell like fuel should be added, and lastly I feel fire needs a new AoE that isn't a DoT (Meteor needs an update basically). =

Defender
Aug 04, 2014
147
People have to realize Wizard101 is not souly based on PvP. There is a reason why this game is called Wizard101 and not MagicPvP101. Fire From Above may do less damage than Sun Serpent but the pip cost is less. Don't compare yourself to storm. Fire is made for damage but storm more so. FFA (I believe) does the most damage out of all the new level 100 spells too. Also, the storm spell has already been nerfed so it probably doesn't need another one.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2012
29
Intrepidatius on Jan 5, 2015 wrote:
You have no idea what you are talking about. "Fire from Above" is an incredibly powerful spell. Combine it with a Gargantuan, and a "pipped" out Backdraft, and the evil bosses of the Spiral quake in fear.
This is all I have to say

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
213
Zachary Moon on Feb 6, 2015 wrote:
Just a few things,I feel that many pyromancers underestimate backdrafts ability, also I feel that maybe since fire focuses on the DoT spells, that a x3 prism spell like fuel should be added, and lastly I feel fire needs a new AoE that isn't a DoT (Meteor needs an update basically). =
Fire already has a new AoE that isn't a DoT -- Sun Serpent.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
945
Errol Everhart on Feb 11, 2015 wrote:
Fire already has a new AoE that isn't a DoT -- Sun Serpent.
300 base damage is a really weak AoE for ten pips.

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
213
lewski on Feb 11, 2015 wrote:
300 base damage is a really weak AoE for ten pips.
But the Sun Serpent spell isn't just a 300 base damage AoE. It also does 900-1000 base damage to the target, which in my opinion makes it a very effective AoE, capable of killing the boss and all minions with one hit.

Explorer
Mar 26, 2011
83
"Fire From Above" will probably never be nerfed, it looks like many of you don't get the power of Fire. "Fire From Above" with a colossal does 1375-1535? Correct me if I'm wrong, anyways the after affect pretty much is a blade, there really isn't much of a difference between a blade and a trap yet we always favor blades. Why? The answer is because it "looks" like it does more. I think some of you need to reconsider Fire because it doesn't look like you can understand the full potential. Fire is NOT meant to be a crazy attack school like Storm.

Just my thoughts.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
2273
The Fire on Feb 11, 2015 wrote:
"Fire From Above" will probably never be nerfed, it looks like many of you don't get the power of Fire. "Fire From Above" with a colossal does 1375-1535? Correct me if I'm wrong, anyways the after affect pretty much is a blade, there really isn't much of a difference between a blade and a trap yet we always favor blades. Why? The answer is because it "looks" like it does more. I think some of you need to reconsider Fire because it doesn't look like you can understand the full potential. Fire is NOT meant to be a crazy attack school like Storm.

Just my thoughts.
blades DO do more damage (in general) because they affect the whole spell, not just one hit. Blades vs trap on a single hit are practically the same, but on a DoT, give me a blade over a trap ANY day. The ONE exception to this is darkmoor and backdraft