Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Am I playing ice right?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 21, 2009
My only wizard is a level 50 ice with secondary schools of life up to satyr and death up to feint, plus the first three balance school all traps/blades. I was able to solo most of the dragonspyre towers pre-patch (where they got easy). Now I am doing more battles (PvP and PvE) with other grandmasters, and my strategy is seeming to lack. Obviously I am a defensive character. I try to play as a support/tank character. I spend most of my turns trapping, blading, feinting, and healing. But the more I play, I find that balance outclasses me in blades and traps, and life outheals me by far. I feel like a watered down version of both. Tower shields are nice, but many schools second in ice up to them anyway. Ice armor pales in comparison to dryad so painfully, is is half as strong and only self cast, which is horrible for 4v4. All I can do to keep my storm grandmaster alive is to toss a couple shields and burn all my pips using satyr for the base 860 heal. I am wondering what I am doing wrong, I just seem to contribute less that I could if I was another school. I am tanky, but in PvP who focuses the ice guy?

Any tips on how to play? Or should I make a life/balance wizard to be a support char? Or I could just go storm/fire/death like the masses and use selfish spells :P

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
andrewjnw wrote:
My only wizard is a level 50 ice with secondary schools of life up to satyr and death up to feint, plus the first three balance school all traps/blades. I was able to solo most of the dragonspyre towers pre-patch (where they got easy). Now I am doing more battles (PvP and PvE) with other grandmasters, and my strategy is seeming to lack. Obviously I am a defensive character. I try to play as a support/tank character. I spend most of my turns trapping, blading, feinting, and healing. But the more I play, I find that balance outclasses me in blades and traps, and life outheals me by far. I feel like a watered down version of both. Tower shields are nice, but many schools second in ice up to them anyway. Ice armor pales in comparison to dryad so painfully, is is half as strong and only self cast, which is horrible for 4v4. All I can do to keep my storm grandmaster alive is to toss a couple shields and burn all my pips using satyr for the base 860 heal. I am wondering what I am doing wrong, I just seem to contribute less that I could if I was another school. I am tanky, but in PvP who focuses the ice guy?

Any tips on how to play? Or should I make a life/balance wizard to be a support char? Or I could just go storm/fire/death like the masses and use selfish spells :P

hello, each school has there special talents. life's talent is that they are best at healing. no other school can heal like life. this is so with each other school they have a talent that no other school has. Ice talent is that they can defend like crazy. they rock in the arena just because of there defense. Well, i hope this helped cya

Delver
Jun 21, 2009
It seems your charaters are too weak because you don't focus on a primary and secondary. Having three elements weaken your charater. So, I wouldn't start a storm,fire, and death charater. You might want to reset your training points and go with ice and storm.

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
MercMissionary wrote:
It seems your charaters are too weak because you don't focus on a primary and secondary. Having three elements weaken your charater. So, I wouldn't start a storm,fire, and death charater. You might want to reset your training points and go with ice and storm.

I am not one to judge, but since I have Wizards in 6 Schools, Ice being one of them, I noticed, by nearing the end of Marleybone, Your Wizard should be concentrating on more of the Primary School, and less on the Secondary. By DS you should be focusing on your main School 100%.

Not saying this is the way to play. Just saying this works for me. Max out your School of Focus Spells first, then work on the Secondary, then if you choose a third School, that would be the last you would stick points in.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
with the wide variety of shields an ice/life/death wizard has, you can help more (meant to sound supportive, probably just sounded critical).

you can use iceshield, stunshield, volcanicshield, legendshield, dreamshield, spiritarmor, and icearmor.

as for healing, you have satyr, pixie, and sprite (heal over time... good good good)

if you absolutely must blade and trap, use more than feint. you also have iceblade, iceprism, and icetrap.

you have chosen a three-school combination built to survive. use the blessing!

ps: it may be a good idea to put training points into the fire or storm school.

pps: i think someone said using three schools weakens you... not true... actually gives you more options.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
You need to compliment the strengths and weaknesses of your primary school. You seem to have branched out without strategy or specific focus and it is costing you wasted time and pips. You may have what you need now but may need to modify your deck configuration or you may need to buy your training points back and rethink how to spend them to your greatest benefit and fighting style.