Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

absorb sheild vs. tower sheild

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 05, 2010
ok this argument has been going through my class and bus for the past week, and i want to settle it once and for all. what sheild do you think is better, absorb or tower? plz give reasons why. i personally, am on the side of absorb sheild, mainly because it cant be easily broken by a wand spell like tower sheild, and if you think about it, it blocks i think 400 damage points, thats 400 that you could have lost, so its like a pre pixie for less pips! i will admit though that when you get to a higher lvl and get hit with criticals and high damage spells, tower sheild will block more damage then absorb because it takes half and absorb only take 400 ( and if you critical a high spell your damage is way over 800), so in the higher lvls tower sheild is better so i am kind of in the middle but 80% of my gut says absorb. plz respond and remember everyone is entiteld to there own opinon.

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
Tower shield - health steal spells can't bypass, 50% of all damage, so a spell that does 1200hp will only do 600hp minus whatever resist your gear and pet has where as an absorb will leave you to take 800hp. It's free in terms of pip cost.

A critical wand spell at higher levels can destroy an absorb.

A weakness combined with a curse, weakness, tower shield and absorb can make an unboosted helephant do no damage though :)

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
I don't think either is "better", they just have different uses. At the higher levels, I think you'll find that a tower is more mathematically useful because a spell that would have done 1600 would be cut in half by a tower shield which is a savings of 800 damage. Further, if you have any gear resist, it gets used with the tower shield, but not with the absorb. Absorb just straight subtracts whatever amount it has left on it from the spell and then passes the rest through. I think they are probably best used together, but just remember, tower shield should be cast AFTER the absorb. There is a bug currently and if the shield is cast before an absorb, any hit that would trigger the shield does so without any benefit for you.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
It does depend if your fighting perhaps a fire or a death wizard absorb might be better so it will work against attack over time spells. But tower is always easy and efficient so while an absorb could be better than tower in a few situations i have to go with tower shield.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
No question Tower shield is better. Cost no pips and can works on any attack.
I never use absorb, My wizards are all higher levels so 400 health points aren't a big deal and it cost pips; pips which could be better used for attack.

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
I like tower, absorb can be good but when i fought a death he destroyed me with ice armor on myself because he used a wraith. He had a feint and he did critical and absorb did nothing! Thats why my ice is part life so i can put on two absorbs and a myth and death shield so a death does nothing to me :)