Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A reminder on account security.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 14, 2015
If anyone remembers, back on October 23rd 2018, I made a post talking about account security, and how even with a strong password, your account could still be stolen by a hacker. Well, now we have an actual case of an account being taken by a hacker.

This morning, I met what appeared to be a brand new player. Or so I thought, until she explained to me that a hacker had managed to steal her account. And to my horror, the hacker had managed to do so WITHOUT her revealing her password!

Folks, THIS is why you must take extra precautions to ensure your account's security! There are many ways malicious hackers can take it away from you, and they don't need to trick you into giving up your password to do it.

Here's a few ways you can keep your account safe:

• Update your password every 6 months, on average.
  • Ensure your E-mail that is tied to your account is secure.
  • Keep your computer's default security software (Including your firewall) updated.
  • Do not use Operating System's (OS) that are no longer supported by the creators; They no longer receive security updates.*
  • Do not visit questionable websites; They may infect your computer with viruses, malware, or WORSE.
  • Install security software.
  • If you think your computer has been infected with a virus, or some other program that might allow a hacker to steal your account, run a security scan and get rid of the virus immediately.
  • Overall, if you think your account is in danger, don't wait until it's too late; ALERT KINGSISLE IMMEDIATELY!!

While sadly, we can't prevent all account thefts, we can reduce them by staying alert. So make sure to follow the steps above, and keep your account safe. If not for your sake, then for the sake of whatever poor soul at KingsIsle gets stuck with the task of sorting the mess out when your account DOES get stolen.

(Also, don't worry about the girl who lost her account; I gave her some Empowers to sell for gold to get her back up and going again. She'll recover in due time.)

*PUBLIC SERVICE WARNING: On January 14th, 2020, Microsoft is ending all support for Windows 7 Operating Systems. This means that this OS will no longer be supported by the developer, and all security updates for Windows 7 will cease. This means that your Wizard101 account may be more vulnerable to hacking attacks on Windows 7 once support for the OS ceases. Please update your computers to Windows 10 as soon as possible.

Administrator
Scot S on Jun 1, 2019 wrote:
If anyone remembers, back on October 23rd 2018, I made a post talking about account security, and how even with a strong password, your account could still be stolen by a hacker. Well, now we have an actual case of an account being taken by a hacker.

This morning, I met what appeared to be a brand new player. Or so I thought, until she explained to me that a hacker had managed to steal her account. And to my horror, the hacker had managed to do so WITHOUT her revealing her password!

Folks, THIS is why you must take extra precautions to ensure your account's security! There are many ways malicious hackers can take it away from you, and they don't need to trick you into giving up your password to do it.

Here's a few ways you can keep your account safe:

• Update your password every 6 months, on average.
  • Ensure your E-mail that is tied to your account is secure.
  • Keep your computer's default security software (Including your firewall) updated.
  • Do not use Operating System's (OS) that are no longer supported by the creators; They no longer receive security updates.*
  • Do not visit questionable websites; They may infect your computer with viruses, malware, or WORSE.
  • Install security software.
  • If you think your computer has been infected with a virus, or some other program that might allow a hacker to steal your account, run a security scan and get rid of the virus immediately.
  • Overall, if you think your account is in danger, don't wait until it's too late; ALERT KINGSISLE IMMEDIATELY!!

While sadly, we can't prevent all account thefts, we can reduce them by staying alert. So make sure to follow the steps above, and keep your account safe. If not for your sake, then for the sake of whatever poor soul at KingsIsle gets stuck with the task of sorting the mess out when your account DOES get stolen.

(Also, don't worry about the girl who lost her account; I gave her some Empowers to sell for gold to get her back up and going again. She'll recover in due time.)

*PUBLIC SERVICE WARNING: On January 14th, 2020, Microsoft is ending all support for Windows 7 Operating Systems. This means that this OS will no longer be supported by the developer, and all security updates for Windows 7 will cease. This means that your Wizard101 account may be more vulnerable to hacking attacks on Windows 7 once support for the OS ceases. Please update your computers to Windows 10 as soon as possible.
A great update Scot, thank you for sharing.

Also, please read our Account Security Best Practices post here: https://kingsisleblog.com/2019/02/05/account-security-best-practices/

Survivor
May 14, 2015
Sparck on Jun 3, 2019 wrote:
A great update Scot, thank you for sharing.

Also, please read our Account Security Best Practices post here: https://kingsisleblog.com/2019/02/05/account-security-best-practices/
Heh, no problem. But I'm being serious here: In only little over 6 months from now, all support for Windows 7 is going to end.

That means no more security updates.

That means your PC, and by extension your Wizard101 account, will be in increased danger from being hacked.

That means YOUR IN DEEP TROUBLE!!

The word needs to be spread like wildfire: It's time to make the upgrade to Windows 10. I really thinks KingsIsle needs to make an official announcement to let everyone know it's time to make the jump. It's annoying, yes, but if we want out PC's and our accounts to remain secure, we have to do it.