Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wild Bolt in PVP

1
AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 02, 2010
94
I think wild bolt should be removed from PVP- I was paired with a storm wizard in PVP and on the first turn he used a wild bolt, criticaled and i was wiped out in one shot. I lost 16 points.

Defender
Apr 05, 2013
100
Not really a pvper, but just because that guy got lucky with wildbolt and got a crit, doesn't mean wild bolt should be removed. In fact, it's a slightly risky move. But there are a ton of moves that can be a lot stronger than wild bolt (especially if they critical, try getting more block perhaps?), so I don't think it should be removed. Also, sorry about your loss.

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
143
JStormCatcher on Nov 28, 2014 wrote:
I think wild bolt should be removed from PVP- I was paired with a storm wizard in PVP and on the first turn he used a wild bolt, criticaled and i was wiped out in one shot. I lost 16 points.
Just like Insane Bolt wild bolt should be removed from pvp (However as a TC not a real card)
It's not a player's fault that it is strong. It's his real card he obtained it by doing the quest and becoming a right level for it. It shouldn't be removed from pvp as a real spell.
Now I think that the only reason they keep Wild Bolt as a tc in pvp and have removed Insane Bolt is because of following reason.
Percentage.
There is a 50% chance that Insane Bolt will kill you.
There is also 50% chance that Insane Bolt will kill the caster.
However Wild Bolt is different.
There is 33.33'% that Wild Bolt hits 1000, or 100, or 10
There is 33.33'% that it can hit any of those numbers.
Now. If you look at it from the other perspective.
There is a ratio of 2:3 that Wild Bolt will not kill you.
That makes it 66.66'% that it won't kill you.
And only 33.33'% that it will.
Therefore That is probably the reason Wild Bolt TC wasn't removed. While Insane Bolt TC was.
If anyone can disagree feel free to do so, I will be interested in hearing your facts and opinions.

Nicholas Star

Delver
Jun 02, 2010
222
I don't use wild bolt due to one primary reason these days. Its not that effective. That person who got you was just lucky. Btw. Its also possible to be killed by a triton, judgement spectral blast and many shadow spells first round if unlucky. I don't complain about this. I just grin and move on.

Explorer
May 02, 2010
94
Sarah Waterbreeze on Nov 29, 2014 wrote:
Not really a pvper, but just because that guy got lucky with wildbolt and got a crit, doesn't mean wild bolt should be removed. In fact, it's a slightly risky move. But there are a ton of moves that can be a lot stronger than wild bolt (especially if they critical, try getting more block perhaps?), so I don't think it should be removed. Also, sorry about your loss.
You say it's a risky move. But you also have to remember that the spell only costs two pips, and with a good storm deck, you could fit 7 of those cards into deck.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4163
JStormCatcher on Nov 30, 2014 wrote:
You say it's a risky move. But you also have to remember that the spell only costs two pips, and with a good storm deck, you could fit 7 of those cards into deck.
And you could critical and do only 20 damage and waste 2 pips. You can carry 9 cards on good decks btw, but no one carries full decks for pvp. Wild bolt is only useful at low levels and is unreliable. You're much better off with regular attack spells. You can cast a colossal Catalan or Stormzilla first round for a guaranteed damage almost as high as the random wild bolt, with far more success rate.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
278
JStormCatcher on Nov 28, 2014 wrote:
I think wild bolt should be removed from PVP- I was paired with a storm wizard in PVP and on the first turn he used a wild bolt, criticaled and i was wiped out in one shot. I lost 16 points.
I agree because of now with the power cap wild bolt is way to powerful for any level they can just spam it and then any storm blocks you had are gone and if they blade and spam it well you health just drops crazy because you can't always block them and with there power cap it like one hit and poof your going die storm wins

also wild blot ant about getting lucky that insane bolt wild bolt hit more times with the bigger damage then the little damage insane blot most like lee to kill the caster then the other person wild bolt is more likely to kill the other person and if they spam it you die so i think ether it needs a less chance of hitting the big mark or be removed from pvp because of the power or higher the pips to cast it because it is not fair in pvp that you can spam a spell that powerful and kill almost anyone in battle unless they have crazy resistance to you

Delver
Jun 02, 2010
222
seethe42 on Dec 1, 2014 wrote:
And you could critical and do only 20 damage and waste 2 pips. You can carry 9 cards on good decks btw, but no one carries full decks for pvp. Wild bolt is only useful at low levels and is unreliable. You're much better off with regular attack spells. You can cast a colossal Catalan or Stormzilla first round for a guaranteed damage almost as high as the random wild bolt, with far more success rate.
Yep Exactly what he said. This is exactly why I stopped using wild bolt. Not reliable. I one hit kill with Triton more so.

Explorer
May 02, 2010
94
seethe42 on Dec 1, 2014 wrote:
And you could critical and do only 20 damage and waste 2 pips. You can carry 9 cards on good decks btw, but no one carries full decks for pvp. Wild bolt is only useful at low levels and is unreliable. You're much better off with regular attack spells. You can cast a colossal Catalan or Stormzilla first round for a guaranteed damage almost as high as the random wild bolt, with far more success rate.
But are you considering the fact that Storm wizards have really high damage?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4163
JStormCatcher on Dec 8, 2014 wrote:
But are you considering the fact that Storm wizards have really high damage?
Yes, even if I have 100% damage boost + critical + Colossal, it still would only do 1140 or 2700 66% of the time. Catalan will do 3900 100% of the time. Kraken will do 3180-3420 100% of the time. Triton will do 4280-4600 100% of the time.

Delver
Jun 02, 2010
222
JStormCatcher on Dec 8, 2014 wrote:
But are you considering the fact that Storm wizards have really high damage?
Have you also considered the following:
1. That lots of people in pvp have 100+ storm resists
2. That lots of people storm shield shield really often.
3. That lots of people have health like 5500 plus.
4. That people can critical block so often even with critical being so high these days.
5. That people heal with like 4000 health Satyrs
6. That we don't want to be waiting forever in a pvp match either!

You obviously never had a storm wizard. I telling you. Try this in high level ranked pvp and you will see it well seldom help. This is coming from a Warlord Storm wizard. I don't use that spell for a reason.

Explorer
May 02, 2010
94
Alex Stormlight on Dec 8, 2014 wrote:
Have you also considered the following:
1. That lots of people in pvp have 100+ storm resists
2. That lots of people storm shield shield really often.
3. That lots of people have health like 5500 plus.
4. That people can critical block so often even with critical being so high these days.
5. That people heal with like 4000 health Satyrs
6. That we don't want to be waiting forever in a pvp match either!

You obviously never had a storm wizard. I telling you. Try this in high level ranked pvp and you will see it well seldom help. This is coming from a Warlord Storm wizard. I don't use that spell for a reason.
1. Immunity is impossible in PVP now, I believe.
2. Storm uses Myth spells which remove positive wards.
3. Yes, the people from the 95+ line and they're mostly Ice, so it's irrelevant to any other school.
4. Storm critical can reach well over 100% and this usually overrides a block, the reason I don't know but I've seen this on videos.
5. Storm can use WB first round and not lose pips if they use the subtract pips spell. How is someone supposed to expect that their opponent is gonna Wild Bolt and auto-use Satyr? A 0 pip WB would allow a Storm to use a huge hit spell next round, especially if they have the first move. And a Colossal on a WB would ensure high damage.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4163
JStormCatcher on Dec 22, 2014 wrote:
1. Immunity is impossible in PVP now, I believe.
2. Storm uses Myth spells which remove positive wards.
3. Yes, the people from the 95+ line and they're mostly Ice, so it's irrelevant to any other school.
4. Storm critical can reach well over 100% and this usually overrides a block, the reason I don't know but I've seen this on videos.
5. Storm can use WB first round and not lose pips if they use the subtract pips spell. How is someone supposed to expect that their opponent is gonna Wild Bolt and auto-use Satyr? A 0 pip WB would allow a Storm to use a huge hit spell next round, especially if they have the first move. And a Colossal on a WB would ensure high damage.
1. It's rather easy for any school to be immune to Storm, it's the easiest of any immunity.
2. I've never learned any Myth spells on my Storm. Not quite sure why a Storm would learn Myth.
3. Ice, Balance and Life.
4. It's actually not that easy to exceed 100% critical, and if you do you have really no other decent stats.
5. Elucidate is only available from ONE quest in the game. It's not a card that you can rely on or stockpile easily. You also cannot stack Elucidate and Colossal.

Explorer
May 02, 2010
94
seethe42 on Dec 22, 2014 wrote:
1. It's rather easy for any school to be immune to Storm, it's the easiest of any immunity.
2. I've never learned any Myth spells on my Storm. Not quite sure why a Storm would learn Myth.
3. Ice, Balance and Life.
4. It's actually not that easy to exceed 100% critical, and if you do you have really no other decent stats.
5. Elucidate is only available from ONE quest in the game. It's not a card that you can rely on or stockpile easily. You also cannot stack Elucidate and Colossal.
1. And how many times have you seen someone lucky enough to be immune to the exact school of their opponent?
2. Myth is the opposite of storm, and there are TC's..
3. Why I said "mostly".
4. Jack Hallow wand
5. You can pack multiple WBs.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
950
seethe42 on Dec 22, 2014 wrote:
1. It's rather easy for any school to be immune to Storm, it's the easiest of any immunity.
2. I've never learned any Myth spells on my Storm. Not quite sure why a Storm would learn Myth.
3. Ice, Balance and Life.
4. It's actually not that easy to exceed 100% critical, and if you do you have really no other decent stats.
5. Elucidate is only available from ONE quest in the game. It's not a card that you can rely on or stockpile easily. You also cannot stack Elucidate and Colossal.
I agree with you, but I believe JStormCatcher meant Pierce and Shatter TC when he talked about Myth spells that remove positive wards.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4163
JStormCatcher on Dec 23, 2014 wrote:
1. And how many times have you seen someone lucky enough to be immune to the exact school of their opponent?
2. Myth is the opposite of storm, and there are TC's..
3. Why I said "mostly".
4. Jack Hallow wand
5. You can pack multiple WBs.
Immunity to multiple schools is actually pretty common at high levels. That wand doesn't give over 100% at all. It's one item that gives around 45% critical. I know it's possible to get over 100% but it's not one item and it severely lowers other stats like pips and accuracy. Your point about multiple WB's has nothing to do with Elucidate that you brought up which is a pointless issue. It's not a card that can be abused. Learn to play your school better instead of focusing all your time trying to weaken other schools. You seem intent on making Balance and Storm weaker for some reason. The schools are very balanced in power as they sit.

Defender
Aug 03, 2011
103
We have to look at all the factors here.

Wild bolt has a 20% chance to hit 1000. 80% chance to hit 10, or 100. When you add a gargantuan, that's a 20% chance for 1225, a 30% chance for 235, and a 50% chance for 325. Most storms who do this have about 100% damage. This bring the spells up to 2450, 470, and 650. Storm's critical can be between 400-600 normally. They will critical very often. Damage goes to 4900, 940, or 1300 base damage. It's pretty rare to see someone block, but not very many people have 40% resist or above to any given school(resist increases as rank increases), so let's just say 35% resist to all schools. Storm wizards can have about 25-35% pierce. We'll say 25. That means you have 10% resist to them(without a shield). Assuming all of the above is true, the wild bolt will normally hit around 4410, 856, or 1170. You put up a tower shield, they counter with shrike. Same damage. If you keep spamming tower shield, you can't focus on attacks, and therefor, cannot win. Both you and the storm are blading up. After weakening your health, the storm can easily OHKO you. Game over. If the storm goes first, it's hardly fair. Just like the 5 pip minions, they should ban this, because it's really hard to come back(I have beat a few who do this), and your chances of winning shrink every bolt they do. I'd suggest stocking up on tower shield TC's and spam that. That's all I can say. But to remove a strategy from storms(a high damage strategy), is like to remove satyr from PvP entirely. It's something that works, and instead of finding a way around it, we try to ban it. It simply won't do.

Survivor
Mar 17, 2014
35
illucidate the -2 pip cost spell is not commonly found enough to go into a pvp strategy

Explorer
Jun 13, 2009
99
Wild bolt is fine how it is for higher level wizards fighting higher level wizards. However it should be nerfed for wizards about levels 1 to 40. The spell nerfed should deal 10, 100, or 550 damage. That to me sounds reasonable considering the fact that it costs 2 little pips and is way to op for lower level wizard use. I mean its just a really cheap shot if first round you are hit with a wild bolt and you lose. I only have a problem with people who just spam the spell over and over until you are defeated. There are other ways of defeating your opponent besides wild bolt. To me people who spam wild bolt are cowards too unskilled to come up with a legitimate strategy to defeat their opponent fairly. The spell should be changed.

Victoria Storm Warlord
Mason Greenbane Commander

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
365
JStormCatcher on Nov 28, 2014 wrote:
I think wild bolt should be removed from PVP- I was paired with a storm wizard in PVP and on the first turn he used a wild bolt, criticaled and i was wiped out in one shot. I lost 16 points.
doesn't really matter (storm are like that) can't use that spell was remove,will would use insane bolt! that why have shield for to use!

Explorer
May 02, 2010
94
seethe42 on Dec 23, 2014 wrote:
Immunity to multiple schools is actually pretty common at high levels. That wand doesn't give over 100% at all. It's one item that gives around 45% critical. I know it's possible to get over 100% but it's not one item and it severely lowers other stats like pips and accuracy. Your point about multiple WB's has nothing to do with Elucidate that you brought up which is a pointless issue. It's not a card that can be abused. Learn to play your school better instead of focusing all your time trying to weaken other schools. You seem intent on making Balance and Storm weaker for some reason. The schools are very balanced in power as they sit.
Ok, let's take our average Storm wizard. around 100 damage, high critical (nearly unblockable).

Let's just drop a Colossal on a Wild Bolt. This makes the spell go from 10, 100, 1000 to 285,375,or 1275.

Criticaling a spell renders twice the damage. 100 damage here is already twice the damage.

So if you criticaled the weakest one (not accounting for resist, but putting effort into Storm drops alot of your other stats which is why it is very rare)

You'd already be hitting about 1140 damage, which if I am correct is 140 damage higher than an unenchanted one with no critical.

You bring it up to 375 and you're at 1.5k. 1275- which I see hit nearly ALWAYS for some unknown reason, you get hit with a 5100 hit which is usually a game-ender.

Explorer
Oct 23, 2011
81
Wild bolt should be no PvP. A landing critical on the highest hit and you die (he didn't got unlucky every single storm spam wild bolt and it reaches a thousand very often). After 9 wild bolt, 3 of them reach the thousand.

Explorer
Oct 23, 2011
81
seethe42 on Dec 8, 2014 wrote:
Yes, even if I have 100% damage boost + critical + Colossal, it still would only do 1140 or 2700 66% of the time. Catalan will do 3900 100% of the time. Kraken will do 3180-3420 100% of the time. Triton will do 4280-4600 100% of the time.
ALL of the time? You're assuming storm is the best school.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
950
Alex watersinger on Apr 14, 2015 wrote:
ALL of the time? You're assuming storm is the best school.
No, he's not. He's just doing the math.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
950
Alex watersinger on Apr 14, 2015 wrote:
Wild bolt should be no PvP. A landing critical on the highest hit and you die (he didn't got unlucky every single storm spam wild bolt and it reaches a thousand very often). After 9 wild bolt, 3 of them reach the thousand.
1. Not every single Storm wizard spams Wild Bolt in PvP.

2. He did get unlucky, the chances for the different levels of damage are quite equal according to my experience.

3. After nine Wild Bolts, none of them might have done a thousand damage, or all of them might have done a thousand damage. A one in three chance doesn't mean that a third of the hits will do a thousand damage.

1