Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why peolple quit pvp and wizard101!

AuthorMessage
Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
There was a thread like this on central, and I agree with nearly everything it said. So basically, think how much effort and time it takes to succeed in pvp. The reasons I state are the reason why many people decide not to or quit pvp. Also, pvp is meant to keep paying members paying who quit questing, so many people after quitting pvp, will quite the game.

1. The perfect pet.
This either is extremely expensive if you use mega snacks, or takes months and months if you don't use them.

Solution:
Rather then your pet manifesting pre-determined talents, when your pet level up, it shows you a screen as if you were looking at your pet on the pets screen. You then proceed to select a unrevealed talent from the derby and the battle side.

2. Grand Master Artisan and collecting rare reagents like sun stone.
I have this badge so it would be kinda hard hard to give up the rarity of it, but I spent about a 2 month trying to get it, and I don't want other people to have to go through this just so they can have the right ring and knife to succeed.

Solution:
Create a crowns item that can be bought for gold called the collectors outfit. Here are he stats:

Hat=increases the chance of getting multiple reagents by 30%
Robe=increase the chance of getting rare harvest reagents by 30%
Boots=increase the possible amount of reagents that can be gathered by one.

I am gonna give an example as if they were pearls you were collecting. I am going to assume the chances:
10% chance to obtain a golden pearl
90% chance to not get any golden pearls

10% chance to obtain 3 pearls
30% chance to obtain 2 pearls
60% chance to get 1 pearl

Now if you equip this gear:
10% chance to obtain 2 golden pearls
40% chance to obtain a golden pearl
50% chance to not get any golden pearls

10% chance to obtain 4 pearls
40% chance to obtain 3 pearls
50% chance to obtain 2 pearls
0% chance to obtain 1 pearl

3. Waterworks gear (for legends.)
It took me about a week and a half to get my full set, though some people it takes a month. Remember, this is farming a 2 hour dungeon, not many people have time for that.

Solution:
You have a 100% drop rate for one of the clothing items, you cant get the same item twice, that means three runs max.

4. Training point reset.
So you first join wizard101, you see that storm is deals more damage then your own school, and you are yet to be intruded to power pips, so you train storm with all you points, and you continue it as how you spend your training points doesn't really matter while questing. Then at a higher level you decide to pvp and fail, you wonder why and go to a guide on central. They tell you how you need to spend your training points. So you go to Lincoln and the reset cost is around 7,000 crowns, and you refuse to pay that much. So you continue questing until you grow bored of it, you don't have pvp to fall back to, so you quit. NOTE: this is for your average player, not the serious wizard101 fans.

Solution:
I know KI probably wont do this, but here is my idea. Have Diego sell a training point reset ticket for around 400 arena tickets, it remains a crowns vs. money concept, but just a better way at doing it as your average player wont start a whole new wizard just to get their training points right.

5. Mastery Amulets.
This allows you to play 2 schools at once, and you can either spend months farming for it, or 20$. In pvp, if you don't have one, your at a disadvantage.

Solution:
don't have one.

To normally get all this stuff you would need to spend about...
6 months for the perfect pet + 2 months for your crafting badge + 2 weeks for your waterworks gear + 7,000 crowns for a training point reset + 10,000 crowns for the mastery amulet.

17,000 crowns is worth 2 gift cards, so that's 40$ + 8 and a half months of work. I didn't even include the time it takes to craft the items. Time may vary as I have spent 6 months at my perfect pet and I'm only half way there.

Now if you follow my ideas:
A month and a half for the perfect pet + 1 month for the crafting badge + 3 days for the waterworks gear + 8 days for a training point reset + 20$ for a mastery amulet.

That's about 3 month and 20$, much easier to manage.

I am gonna answer to some replies that I know are gonna come up..

1. You don't need this stuff to win in pvp.

Yes you don't, but you are at a big disadvantage to someone who does. I lose in pvp on my balance because I can't find a strategy without feint, and I refuse to pay 20$. I also don't have the perfect pet.

2. You are just lazy, you can't get anything good if you don't work for it.

I pay for this game by doing chores and getting allowance for the chores. I don't want to do in-game chores just to get an in-game reward. I think they call this grinding. I think work, then play this game as my reward, and its not very rewarding if online work is my reward.

3. If everyone had these things, then it wouldn't be special, and if everyone was good at pvp, what fun would it be?

If you say or think this, then you are just being selfish. You obviously got a perfect pet and put a lot of work into it, so you don't want someone to be able to get one for less work. You want to feel special and exclusive. Well, if you want to feel that way, then go buy a crowns house or a life force blade. That's what crowns items are meant for! Anyways, even if this did happen, not everyone would be good at pvp. I think what should separate the good duelist from the bad duelists should not be how much time and effort they put into pet training and crafting, but how much time and effort they put into deck construction and strategy. I think we all agree on this, and that is the kind of arena I am trying to create.

-Solstice64
P.S. the reason why this is in the pvp section is because you don't need these things to quest.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
554
Well that is why people become good at PvP because they work hard in game to get the things that will help boost their chances of becoming a good PvPer. And it is not like you need those for PvP I myself and I know plenty who have won PvPs without waterworks gear or with a pet that doesn't really match the Opponents pet. And in all these posts we need to remember PvP is optional, they didn't make waterworks with the intention that it is only for the benefit of people who PvP, They didn't make crafting so people could become better at PvP. We shouldn't change the whole game just to make it easeir to PvP.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
thorvon65 wrote:
Well that is why people become good at PvP because they work hard in game to get the things that will help boost their chances of becoming a good PvPer. And it is not like you need those for PvP I myself and I know plenty who have won PvPs without waterworks gear or with a pet that doesn't really match the Opponents pet. And in all these posts we need to remember PvP is optional, they didn't make waterworks with the intention that it is only for the benefit of people who PvP, They didn't make crafting so people could become better at PvP. We shouldn't change the whole game just to make it easeir to PvP.


I typed this whole big response but I accidentally deleted it so I am in no mood to type, so I'll give you a short response.

These two quotes should respond to most of what you typed.

Yes you don't, but you are at a big disadvantage to someone who does. I lose in pvp on my balance because I can't find a strategy without feint, and I refuse to pay 20$ to reset my training points. I also don't have the perfect pet.

I think what should separate the good duelist from the bad duelists should not be how much time and effort they put into pet training and crafting, but how much time and effort they put into deck construction and strategy. I think we all agree on this, and that is the kind of arena I am trying to create.

I am quitting wizard101 at the end of this month because of these reasons. I enjoy pvp, but I loathe the work and money to have the correct tools to succeed. I am posting this because I am sure other people have quit because these reasons, so I am telling KI they are losing customers and something needs to be done.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
564
Some people might really not like PvP though. So people are allowed to like what they like and dislike what they don't like

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
Rihanna12 wrote:
Some people might really not like PvP though. So people are allowed to like what they like and dislike what they don't like


How would this effect people that dont pvp though? This wouldn't unbalance pvp, or ruin questing, so just because some people don't like pvp doesn't mean much. Remember, your average naive player is going to level up their character, then pvp. They fail in pvp so they go to some guide, they tell them that they need to have the right training points, the crafted knife and ring, and waterworks gear. They start working for that stuff, realize its gonna cost them 20$ and months of works, so they quit pvp. They grow bored of questing, while waiting for updates, so they quit wizard101.

This is to everyone. Do you think I am just complaining? I have everything on this list besides training points and the perfect pet. While working for my perfect pet, I realized that when I play wizard101, how little I pvp. I play wizard101 to pvp, not to pet train. Doesn't any pvper agree with that?

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
Solstice64 wrote:
This is to everyone. Do you think I am just complaining? I have everything on this list besides training points and the perfect pet. While working for my perfect pet, I realized that when I play wizard101, how little I pvp. I play wizard101 to pvp, not to pet train. Doesn't any pvper agree with that?


I don't think you're complaining. I think it is a very reasoned post. I agree that the amount of work that you need to do in order to have a reasonably fair match is kind of ridiculous. I think that pet training is beyond obnoxious after the first epic pet, and that grinding to craft items is very annoying as well. But I don't want to make it easier on people to obtain the things I had to work so hard to obtain myself... that's obnoxious well beyond PvP. However, I think that the answer leans toward a couple of different ranked options vs. making it easier to obtain what are supposed to be rare items. If there was a ranked option with rules that would allow the more casual player to have a fair PvP match, then I believe you would bring a lot more people to the PvP community in general.

Explorer
May 11, 2010
61
I have to agree. I gave up on pvp pretty quickly once I realized that if you don't have a good pet and have trained a useless secondary school then you have no chance. I just can't compete because I usually end up fighting opponents that have nearly 50% resist to all the schools (because of their pet's abilities) and a life mastery amulet.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
2900
How about barring Crowns items from PvP altogether? One should be able to buy a PvP ranking, simply because he/she has the most money to spend.

Explorer
Jul 14, 2009
85
Heres the problem, almost everything you said is going to affect the whole game and not just pvp and what are people who dont pvp going to think? There going to think why is K.I changing everything to make people happy for something that many people dont care about

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
colagada wrote:
How about barring Crowns items from PvP altogether? One should be able to buy a PvP ranking, simply because he/she has the most money to spend.


Well, this is mainly focused on things like the perfect pet that gives the play an extra 15% resist. Also, you cant really bar training point resets from pvp. Crowns items arent that big of a deal compared to things likr pets and crafting.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
2900
I would guess that it's a matter of making a different module for PvP, so that the game can be tailored for PvP without affecting normal (PvE) battles.

As far as Crowns items go, I was referring to equipment, pets, Elixirs, etc. Training points reset is more of a service than an actual item.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
colagada wrote:
I would guess that it's a matter of making a different module for PvP, so that the game can be tailored for PvP without affecting normal (PvE) battles.


Exactly.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
2900
It's very unlikely that we'll have a separate PvP module. That would involve a lot more time and cost.

The problem with many of these solutions is that they assume that there can only be one version of PvP.

Try this on for size: Have two versions of PvP: Elite and Standard (or whatever terms). Elite would be like it is now. Everything that's legal goes. In Standard PvP, pets and treasure cards would be barred, as well as whatever spells unbalance things and whatever else unbalances things.


Hero
Jun 11, 2010
729
I like the Arena Ticket Training point reset! I spent 3 training points on spells I no longer want, so I want to reset, but I'm too far in the game to start over, and I can't buy Crowns. I would be willing to work for it, though.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2010
16
Personally, I do think you are complaining and whining a bit. sry, but it shouldnt be easy to get those items. Crafting special items does take time and effort, and if you need those items in pvp to do well, then go out and do the work. Nothing in life that is worthwhile is easy, better to learn this now on a game then irl. Working towards a goal, like getting that crafted item, takes time, effort, perisistence, perserverance, and major dedication....ie....ALL the traits that help one to become a successful adult in the real world.

Sorry, but I believe that working towards special items, whether they are crafted, farmed, or bought with crowns is fine. I do not believe that everyone should have them just to make things easier for all. The game needs to have some challenge items that are 'exclusive' to those that want to and do work hard to get them, that means in the game (crafting & farming) and outside of the game too (crown items).

That is my opinion, so take it for what its worth. Just like in real life, the best items should require effort.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2010
16
colagada wrote:
It's very unlikely that we'll have a separate PvP module. That would involve a lot more time and cost.

The problem with many of these solutions is that they assume that there can only be one version of PvP.

Try this on for size: Have two versions of PvP: Elite and Standard (or whatever terms). Elite would be like it is now. Everything that's legal goes. In Standard PvP, pets and treasure cards would be barred, as well as whatever spells unbalance things and whatever else unbalances things.



They kind of already have that now: it is called ranked and practice pvp.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
colagada wrote:
It's very unlikely that we'll have a separate PvP module. That would involve a lot more time and cost.

The problem with many of these solutions is that they assume that there can only be one version of PvP.

Try this on for size: Have two versions of PvP: Elite and Standard (or whatever terms). Elite would be like it is now. Everything that's legal goes. In Standard PvP, pets and treasure cards would be barred, as well as whatever spells unbalance things and whatever else unbalances things.



I think I misread you first post, I am talking about what it takes to be at the same level as your opponent gear wise. Maybe if the two version were where one is what it is now, and the other gives everyone default gear and pets.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
On the note about note quitting, with a lucky turn of events, I'm not. I met this guy who has about 10 perfect pets on each of his wizards and is willing to help me. He also showed me how to have big gardens that yield big rewards.

-Solstice64