Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why No One Does Ranked 4v4 Anymore

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 25, 2009
I am a semi-new player having done much of ranked 4v4 around 2011-2012; I found it really fun to get together with 4 of my friends and just have a good time. However, new updates have made 4v4 turning more to critical, armor pierce, and shadow pips. While I think some updates were fine, others were just not thought out for the pvp players. I will explain updates from a couple years back to now on why ranked 4v4 is broken.

It all started when 4v4 powerhouses at legendary level, fire and storm were successful because of the temp and meteor spamming. By the level 80 cap, ices crafted gear with double resist pets would give around 80% resist to fire and storm which practically excluded those schools in team pvp. Despite mass converts, they could easily be stopped with the opposite school double shields before the convert or the double shield spell after the convert. Later, when jade gear came out, ice and life teams would form to create defensive juggernauts that would make 4v4 take forever and not be fun

When Aqulia came out as an extension to the 90 cap, This brought the trend of mass critical with decent but not over powered armor pierce with most people having around 20-30%. 4v4 started getting more unpopular not because these updates were op, but simply unskilled players would get creamed way faster. The people with mass critical would blow past the people who weren't skilled or didn't have any block. However, Jades and ices were still able to tank these people pretty well leaving some 4v4 taking forever while others would end in a couple turns.

To counter jades and ices, the level 95 cap came out. This cap introduced shadow shrike which is a shadow spell that does 50% armor pierce. This made matches easier to take out tanks, slowly making matches more and more crit and offensive based. This also brought the trend of using lots of your own schools dispels to counter others offense, which made being first a pretty big factor to win. Some matches would be based on which attacker would get the shadow pip first. People didn't like losing rank on so called "lucky factors". This reduced ranked 4v4 from being played a lot.

Then the Darkmoor update later came out after the 100 cap and even later were jewels. This came out to give players a challenge and quest easier from high health bosses and minions. Ki however didn't realize the impact this would make for 4v4. With darkmoor gear having so much crit, and armor pierce being as high as 55% with jewels, being first had too big of a impact with 4v4. Getting shadow pips going second or being obvious, you are prone to getting dispelled which shuts down your team. Not needing other school spells, this reduced diversity in pvp such as wearing mastery amulets, using tc outside of your school, etc. I was running out of word count, but everyone knows the obvious on this update to why 4v4 isn't very fun at this level.

Lastly, there hasn't been a big Wizard101 YouTube Wizard101 4v4 Team since Team Perfect Catch.

Explorer
Apr 26, 2010
Wow I completely agree with you. 4v4 is my favorite type of pvp and I am sad to see it is not as popular now. I have only seen 1 match in the last 5 months. And lastly, I miss Team Perfect Catch also, those guys were awesome.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
The Unknown Wizard on Aug 30, 2015 wrote:
I am a semi-new player having done much of ranked 4v4 around 2011-2012; I found it really fun to get together with 4 of my friends and just have a good time. However, new updates have made 4v4 turning more to critical, armor pierce, and shadow pips. While I think some updates were fine, others were just not thought out for the pvp players. I will explain updates from a couple years back to now on why ranked 4v4 is broken.

It all started when 4v4 powerhouses at legendary level, fire and storm were successful because of the temp and meteor spamming. By the level 80 cap, ices crafted gear with double resist pets would give around 80% resist to fire and storm which practically excluded those schools in team pvp. Despite mass converts, they could easily be stopped with the opposite school double shields before the convert or the double shield spell after the convert. Later, when jade gear came out, ice and life teams would form to create defensive juggernauts that would make 4v4 take forever and not be fun

When Aqulia came out as an extension to the 90 cap, This brought the trend of mass critical with decent but not over powered armor pierce with most people having around 20-30%. 4v4 started getting more unpopular not because these updates were op, but simply unskilled players would get creamed way faster. The people with mass critical would blow past the people who weren't skilled or didn't have any block. However, Jades and ices were still able to tank these people pretty well leaving some 4v4 taking forever while others would end in a couple turns.

To counter jades and ices, the level 95 cap came out. This cap introduced shadow shrike which is a shadow spell that does 50% armor pierce. This made matches easier to take out tanks, slowly making matches more and more crit and offensive based. This also brought the trend of using lots of your own schools dispels to counter others offense, which made being first a pretty big factor to win. Some matches would be based on which attacker would get the shadow pip first. People didn't like losing rank on so called "lucky factors". This reduced ranked 4v4 from being played a lot.

Then the Darkmoor update later came out after the 100 cap and even later were jewels. This came out to give players a challenge and quest easier from high health bosses and minions. Ki however didn't realize the impact this would make for 4v4. With darkmoor gear having so much crit, and armor pierce being as high as 55% with jewels, being first had too big of a impact with 4v4. Getting shadow pips going second or being obvious, you are prone to getting dispelled which shuts down your team. Not needing other school spells, this reduced diversity in pvp such as wearing mastery amulets, using tc outside of your school, etc. I was running out of word count, but everyone knows the obvious on this update to why 4v4 isn't very fun at this level.

Lastly, there hasn't been a big Wizard101 YouTube Wizard101 4v4 Team since Team Perfect Catch.
Aquila Isn't New World (just side dungeon world) not full world

Zafaria: Level 60-70
Avalon: Level 70-80
Azteca: Level 80-90
Khrysalis Part1: 90-95
Khrysails Part 2: 95-100
Khrysails Part 1 & 2: level 90-100

(got pet level order wrong) mix up 68 pet on level 78 (didn't got pet on level 68 got spell during zafaria on that world (give our zafaria pet level 78) mini-spell in Avalon (so, pet post: zafaria pet post be call: be level 68 pet on level 78 but others calling level 68 pet call as level 78 pets! didn't get high level spell in Avalon (had mini-spell) mini spell from Avalon is just pointless (except mass convert took forever get too)

easy get level 100 that easy in khrysails (seem pointless move on khrysails part 2 because shadow creature pointless because everybody being darkmoor (all have shadow magic shield)

least terror hoard pack exist wand better malistaire (some people wouldn't care about anymore now jewel socketing part of our gear & pets!

most like part about update (pet jewel) resist jewel for pet jewel isn't flat resist jewel so, happy didn't made resist jewel for pet not a flat jewel (wouldn't care armor pierce) rather having resist increase anyways nobody wouldn't care because armor pierce!

everybody 2v2 every storm/balance/fire (mostly storm) to aggressive as much as fire/balance (don't use talent for spell for aggressive because make people dispel you more mostly like wearing Mastery Amulet because others use BATTLE ORDER to see want your school is easy to defeat you have the right spell to use for that set

so, that why people use transformation (because there a bug on them enter pvp) glitch battle order because wizard name chance from transformation glitch enter pvp (so, others more harder time figure out school that you are) so, can't defeat them because battle order show wrong school & wrong name as there wizard)

see anyone w/ transformation (don't attack them) because transformation glitch battle order so name real wizard be wrong or others

Survivor
May 25, 2009
JustinFrostHunter on Aug 31, 2015 wrote:
Aquila Isn't New World (just side dungeon world) not full world

Zafaria: Level 60-70
Avalon: Level 70-80
Azteca: Level 80-90
Khrysalis Part1: 90-95
Khrysails Part 2: 95-100
Khrysails Part 1 & 2: level 90-100

(got pet level order wrong) mix up 68 pet on level 78 (didn't got pet on level 68 got spell during zafaria on that world (give our zafaria pet level 78) mini-spell in Avalon (so, pet post: zafaria pet post be call: be level 68 pet on level 78 but others calling level 68 pet call as level 78 pets! didn't get high level spell in Avalon (had mini-spell) mini spell from Avalon is just pointless (except mass convert took forever get too)

easy get level 100 that easy in khrysails (seem pointless move on khrysails part 2 because shadow creature pointless because everybody being darkmoor (all have shadow magic shield)

least terror hoard pack exist wand better malistaire (some people wouldn't care about anymore now jewel socketing part of our gear & pets!

most like part about update (pet jewel) resist jewel for pet jewel isn't flat resist jewel so, happy didn't made resist jewel for pet not a flat jewel (wouldn't care armor pierce) rather having resist increase anyways nobody wouldn't care because armor pierce!

everybody 2v2 every storm/balance/fire (mostly storm) to aggressive as much as fire/balance (don't use talent for spell for aggressive because make people dispel you more mostly like wearing Mastery Amulet because others use BATTLE ORDER to see want your school is easy to defeat you have the right spell to use for that set

so, that why people use transformation (because there a bug on them enter pvp) glitch battle order because wizard name chance from transformation glitch enter pvp (so, others more harder time figure out school that you are) so, can't defeat them because battle order show wrong school & wrong name as there wizard)

see anyone w/ transformation (don't attack them) because transformation glitch battle order so name real wizard be wrong or others
Justin, these were just significant updates that changed 4v4 by a wide margin. Aquila, I know wasn't a main world but pvp was pretty much the same from when Avalon and Azteca came out. The Aquila update with the Hades gear is what played a significant role in changes.

People don't do ranked 4v4 at 100 even which is why I wouldn't want to be 100 doing pvp because I don't like it anyways.

I didn't quite understand what you were talking about with the pet jewels but... The pierce jewels do play a medium role on why there is too much offense in pvp now. People wear the morganthe amulets over mastery because they give the needed block, resist, and critical to succeed in a pretty much all offensive pvp. Not to mention unless you have the exalted amulets, you are missing on the jewel sockets too. Not having mastery amulets limits diversity in decks, and a lot of people's decks are pretty much looking the same in terms of what kind of strategy they are trying to pull off in 1v1.

I didn't get the glitch transformation thingy either because I never experienced this but.. like I said earlier the trend with people crazily dispelling started when more and more offensive updates produced like the shrike update. People still do this now which is why turn order is much more crucial now than before.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2014
I agree now PVP IS IMPOSSIBLE

Taylor Swift Level 37Wizard