Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why DoT is bad for Storm

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1623
A bunch of Storm wizards are complaning to make a DoT Storm spell that Storm wizards can get from their school with ease without using treasure cards to mutate spells or to get the Storm Hound pet. Well, I'll tell you why Storm shouldn't get a DoT.

Have you not remembered from the start of the game where they explained all the schools and that Storm is supposed to be suffering of health but hits 1 big shock? Fire is supposed to be patient and also to take time with their spells (the DoT spells) and they said that DoT spells was Fire's advantage. Not once did they say that any other school's main hit is a DoT.

Other reasons, and this includes PvP. If Storm were to get a DoT, there's 1 spell that ends it all. Triage. Storm wizards would be badly complaining about Triage and also would be complaining about their DoT being "weak".

Storm is supposed to be the 1 hit-high-damage school. If Storm got a DoT, it would really mess up the 1 hit.

You guys never said how powerful the DoT should be, so I say at level 78 it would do 80 damage per round. That's all you guys wanted! A DoT and that's one right there. This would cost 3 pips. There, right there you guys would be complaining like a storm! Storm isn't supposed to get a hit multiple times spell, THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO HIT ONCE AND THAT ONE HIT CAN END A MATCH BEFORE YOUR ENEMY SHIELDS! Storm can use a Storm Sahrk at level 60 and this would hit a truck load of damage still. EVEN with waterworks gear.

So, if KI would ever make a DoT, it should be REALLY weak because Storm is only supposed to hit once and using a DoT would ruin Storm completely. 80 damage per round would be fair, so it wouldn't be your initial move. There you go Storm wizards. If you don't like it, then don't complain for a DoT because it would probably be a waste for you. Yes, it would hit this weak because you know how they made Insane Bolt? Exactly how they can make any more of your spells. So, if you don't like doing 240 damage, then don't complain for a DoT!

Defender
Dec 23, 2009
137
joujou11cool wrote:
A bunch of Storm wizards are complaning to make a DoT Storm spell that Storm wizards can get from their school with ease without using treasure cards to mutate spells or to get the Storm Hound pet. Well, I'll tell you why Storm shouldn't get a DoT.

Have you not remembered from the start of the game where they explained all the schools and that Storm is supposed to be suffering of health but hits 1 big shock? Fire is supposed to be patient and also to take time with their spells (the DoT spells) and they said that DoT spells was Fire's advantage. Not once did they say that any other school's main hit is a DoT.

Other reasons, and this includes PvP. If Storm were to get a DoT, there's 1 spell that ends it all. Triage. Storm wizards would be badly complaining about Triage and also would be complaining about their DoT being "weak".

Storm is supposed to be the 1 hit-high-damage school. If Storm got a DoT, it would really mess up the 1 hit.

You guys never said how powerful the DoT should be, so I say at level 78 it would do 80 damage per round. That's all you guys wanted! A DoT and that's one right there. This would cost 3 pips. There, right there you guys would be complaining like a storm! Storm isn't supposed to get a hit multiple times spell, THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO HIT ONCE AND THAT ONE HIT CAN END A MATCH BEFORE YOUR ENEMY SHIELDS! Storm can use a Storm Sahrk at level 60 and this would hit a truck load of damage still. EVEN with waterworks gear.

So, if KI would ever make a DoT, it should be REALLY weak because Storm is only supposed to hit once and using a DoT would ruin Storm completely. 80 damage per round would be fair, so it wouldn't be your initial move. There you go Storm wizards. If you don't like it, then don't complain for a DoT because it would probably be a waste for you. Yes, it would hit this weak because you know how they made Insane Bolt? Exactly how they can make any more of your spells. So, if you don't like doing 240 damage, then don't complain for a DoT!

this is true but life needs a DOT

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
12
I think you are right. I have a storm myself, who has trained fire elf, and he can just use that for shields. The school that needs one is life. Why life? Well, Life can't deal a great amount of damage in the first place. If you put a shield up, the only thing we can do is wand it off, or use our Myth Mastery Amulet and Shatter/ Earth it off. It's a pain having to deal with shields, especially from second. Having a DoT will really help Life PvP. I can't get near warlord on my life, generally because of shield spammers. Anyway, storm already has one, two really. However, in your post you say DoT is fire's thing. When the game came out, Ice, Death, and Storm had DoTs. That leaves just Myth, who have 2 now (However, they don't need one since Shatter will destroy shields), Life, who needs one (I know this because I have a Life wizard. I have lost to a lot of Balance wizards who Spirit Shield spam), and Balance, who doesn't need one because Fire Elf will destroy towers and Weakness, Balance's only real defense aside from absorbs.

Thank you for reading,

~Michael Lifesword, PvP Commander

Explorer
Jul 05, 2009
54
Well, I, for one strongly oppose the idea of a storm dot, REGARDLESS of how weak it is. Even, if it's 1 damage per round.

The primary reason storm pvpers are demanding a dot is because they're whining about people spamming storm shields. Well guess what, there is a "domino effect" to this. Storm got insanely powerful. So what people to do? They start training storm shields. What do storm students do in return? They start spamming bolts, which is fine with me. That is the ONLY way ANY storm can beat me: go first, start spamming bolts and hope you get lucky. Otherwise your chances are between 1% and 0.

Now, if KI throws in a trainable dot for storm, storm will not only have the means to remove our only defense against them, they will still have the ability to do quick low-pip high damage. Going second against storm would be close tmeaning losing. Again, I dont see the point of giving a dot to the ONLY school that can hit over a thousand damage for just 2 pips.

Now let's look at some of their arguments.
1) bolts "waste" their blades

A: so what? Guess what? Link also "wastes" my blade when I want to get rid of a shield. Most of the time I double blade, knowing that my opponent is likely to use a shields. Life wizards face the same problem, yet, I don't see them whinning as much as storms do.

2) people spam storm shields

A: with the insanely high power boost, critical, and damage capability storms have, storms would be unbeatable if people didnt "spam" storms shields.

3) ice's huge resist to storm

A: ok, this is close to a valid point. But then again, ice's new high resist is from CRAFTED gear. Yup, it's probably a good idea to do those quests too., which means you can also craft gear that drastically improved your stats. TWICE in the arena I have beaten an ice with 75% resist to fire, with my fire. I am sure I'm not the only one, nor school, that has done it.

whether storms wizards agree with me or not isn't going to change my perception on this. Nor, do I expect to change theirs. What I hope is that KI realizes, just like they have since they started the game, that storms does NOT need a dot. I don't know what kind of pvp people on here engage, but in the league of transcended overlords, I have yet to meet a storm that complains about it. They always have a way of dealing with the shield "spamming" as you people call it (as if we didn't have the right to cast a certain shield on us as much as we want).

Now, I know some of you, will say "oh he doesn't have a storm, and that's why he doesn't want a storm dot". Well guess what, not everyone is biased against a particular school because he or she only has it. I DO have a storm, and I do not see the need for a dot. Now, you may argue my preference. My favorite school is indeed fire, and if your argument is that I only oppose the dot because I like fire better, I can also say that you want a storm dot because you prefer storm. In that case it'd be a deadlock.

So far, I have yet to read substancial arguments on why a storm dot is needed (i am sure KI feel the same way), besides that storm is facing shields, which is the case for everybody else!
I dont see a storm dot happening anytime soon, so you might as well start putting those grey matters to work to start finding ways around shields, which MOST good storm pvpers have done.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2010
5
joujou11cool wrote:
A bunch of Storm wizards are complaning to make a DoT Storm spell that Storm wizards can get from their school with ease without using treasure cards to mutate spells or to get the Storm Hound pet. Well, I'll tell you why Storm shouldn't get a DoT.

Have you not remembered from the start of the game where they explained all the schools and that Storm is supposed to be suffering of health but hits 1 big shock? Fire is supposed to be patient and also to take time with their spells (the DoT spells) and they said that DoT spells was Fire's advantage. Not once did they say that any other school's main hit is a DoT.

Other reasons, and this includes PvP. If Storm were to get a DoT, there's 1 spell that ends it all. Triage. Storm wizards would be badly complaining about Triage and also would be complaining about their DoT being "weak".

Storm is supposed to be the 1 hit-high-damage school. If Storm got a DoT, it would really mess up the 1 hit.

You guys never said how powerful the DoT should be, so I say at level 78 it would do 80 damage per round. That's all you guys wanted! A DoT and that's one right there. This would cost 3 pips. There, right there you guys would be complaining like a storm! Storm isn't supposed to get a hit multiple times spell, THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO HIT ONCE AND THAT ONE HIT CAN END A MATCH BEFORE YOUR ENEMY SHIELDS! Storm can use a Storm Sahrk at level 60 and this would hit a truck load of damage still. EVEN with waterworks gear.

So, if KI would ever make a DoT, it should be REALLY weak because Storm is only supposed to hit once and using a DoT would ruin Storm completely. 80 damage per round would be fair, so it wouldn't be your initial move. There you go Storm wizards. If you don't like it, then don't complain for a DoT because it would probably be a waste for you. Yes, it would hit this weak because you know how they made Insane Bolt? Exactly how they can make any more of your spells. So, if you don't like doing 240 damage, then don't complain for a DoT!


I am sorry but I have to completly disagree, and here's why.
Although you are correct about Storm being a 1 hit Power school, it may not have crossed your mind that just because that is your school's specialty, that your school should be limited to that type of spell. Let me explain
Death specializes in stealing health from an enemy to heal him/herself, But death's spells are not limited to just steal health spells, and yes I realize if death had only steal health it may be a tad overpowered, so what did KI decide to do? They gave death a regular hit spell AND a DoT (dark sprite and skeletal dragon AND skeletal pirate). All schools have some sort of spell that is similar to another school. Yes storm does have storm hound but I think what people mean is that as you said a regular spell that can be obtained through quests or simply added to the professor's list.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
Life is supposed to be the healing school, does that mean we should take all the attack spells from their decks and give them only healing spells?

Ice can get easily 49% attack boost, 63% Storm 63% fire, and 54% global resistance, with 101% accuracy, 83% power pip chance.
Ice is the tank school, how about they lose all attack boosts and just get resistance? Ice has also gone from 4000k health to 4600 health.

Storm is supposed to be the 1 shot attack school, but has lost power from 89% to 73% a 16% loss in power! Storm has gone from 2200 to maybe, 2700 or 2800 depending on gear, according to Gtarhannon, but that is not with a life mastery amulet, while Ice has over 4500 health with this incredible resistance and a life mastery amulet, I know, I have an ice with these stats.

Where is the so called Balance in your statements? Where are you showing any good reason or just cause for your statements?

Yes, there is triage, a spell every school has to worry about, which is also, why it will not matter if storm finally does get a DoT spell.

Just because you don't like it, does not mean it is "Bad for Storm" as you put it.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
441
of storm got a Dot it would make it to like fire. fire deals about the same amount of damage over time as storm, while storm does it in one hit.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
957
JouJou11cool,

I agree, I have a storm and I don't think giving him a Dot spell would be a good idea. Would I love for him to have one, sure, but I honestly think it would make him overpowering.
Right now, I can set up my deck, and use storm elf, and kill in 7 rounds, on average. Storm Elf is always easy to get, at least every time I have gone in the store, it's been there.
Ok, yeah I gotta farm sometimes, but after the new world by bank is full, so I can pvp for a long while and not have to worry.

For me, Storm Elf is all he needs.... and same with Ice, all it needs is Ice Elf.

Just my .02 cents.
Joe.

Defender
Jul 09, 2011
113
Well that was a little harsh, and I think thats exactly what all the complainers need. I second the idea to have a 240 DoT spell for Storm. Especially with Storm having all the AoE spells, I mean Tempest, Storm Lord, and Sirens? Why would you even want a DoT spell

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
272
Yea just trash Storm school out of the game! Majority on message board that's all you'll want.

Thanks for making my Storm school literally worst... We cant do any damage, we have low health and on top of that our newest spell is weak...

Yea yea, you know what Damage was Storm specialty! Yet every school has gain that, and we never improve on anything not even health.

Thanks for listening to these people who all they want is our Storm school to go from bad to worst.

Whatever I guess...


Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
darthjt wrote:
Ice can get easily 49% attack boost, 63% Storm 63% fire, and 54% global resistance, with 101% accuracy, 83% power pip chance.
Ice is the tank school, how about they lose all attack boosts and just get resistance? Ice has also gone from 4000k health to 4600 health.


Cite that config for me please. I'd like to know how its done.

darthjt wrote:
Storm is supposed to be the 1 shot attack school, but has lost power from 89% to 73% a 16% loss in power! Storm has gone from 2200 to maybe, 2700 or 2800 depending on gear, according to Gtarhannon, but that is not with a life mastery amulet, while Ice has over 4500 health with this incredible resistance and a life mastery amulet, I know, I have an ice with these stats.


Wow man. I got under your skin eh? Quit citing me without full disclosure. That 16% power loss is on a config with a pet having two open talent slots. You can fill those slots and take the damage back up to 85% and that would only be a 4% loss.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1623
qwertyuiop749 wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
A bunch of Storm wizards are complaning to make a DoT Storm spell that Storm wizards can get from their school with ease without using treasure cards to mutate spells or to get the Storm Hound pet. Well, I'll tell you why Storm shouldn't get a DoT.

Have you not remembered from the start of the game where they explained all the schools and that Storm is supposed to be suffering of health but hits 1 big shock? Fire is supposed to be patient and also to take time with their spells (the DoT spells) and they said that DoT spells was Fire's advantage. Not once did they say that any other school's main hit is a DoT.

Other reasons, and this includes PvP. If Storm were to get a DoT, there's 1 spell that ends it all. Triage. Storm wizards would be badly complaining about Triage and also would be complaining about their DoT being "weak".

Storm is supposed to be the 1 hit-high-damage school. If Storm got a DoT, it would really mess up the 1 hit.

You guys never said how powerful the DoT should be, so I say at level 78 it would do 80 damage per round. That's all you guys wanted! A DoT and that's one right there. This would cost 3 pips. There, right there you guys would be complaining like a storm! Storm isn't supposed to get a hit multiple times spell, THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO HIT ONCE AND THAT ONE HIT CAN END A MATCH BEFORE YOUR ENEMY SHIELDS! Storm can use a Storm Sahrk at level 60 and this would hit a truck load of damage still. EVEN with waterworks gear.

So, if KI would ever make a DoT, it should be REALLY weak because Storm is only supposed to hit once and using a DoT would ruin Storm completely. 80 damage per round would be fair, so it wouldn't be your initial move. There you go Storm wizards. If you don't like it, then don't complain for a DoT because it would probably be a waste for you. Yes, it would hit this weak because you know how they made Insane Bolt? Exactly how they can make any more of your spells. So, if you don't like doing 240 damage, then don't complain for a DoT!

this is true but life needs a DOT


Probably.