Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why are drains so different?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 20, 2011
Drains are a funny breed of attack. Not only are they the only form of attack that ignores absorbs, but the heal that is given back after the initial attack is also not even treated as a heal. What i mean by this is if you have an infection on you and you cast a drain you still receive half the amount of damage from your attack as a heal. So i have to wonder:
1. why did king isle even make drains to be like this in the first place
2. would it be better for drains to be like other attacks and heals, or do you think it should stay the way it is?
I post this because there are already so many things that affect healing that i am not really sure how this would affect pvp. I mean death would be able to use ghoul to get rid of infection like fire and link. But this would also mean that death would not get good heals form attacks if doom and gloom were up. and from what i have seen in pvp most death people don't even care for the heals. i just don't know which way this would go.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
LiquidCarbonite wrote:
Drains are a funny breed of attack. Not only are they the only form of attack that ignores absorbs, but the heal that is given back after the initial attack is also not even treated as a heal. What i mean by this is if you have an infection on you and you cast a drain you still receive half the amount of damage from your attack as a heal. So i have to wonder:
2. would it be better for drains to be like other attacks and heals, or do you think it should stay the way it is?
I post this because there are already so many things that affect healing that i am not really sure how this would affect pvp. I mean death would be able to use ghoul to get rid of infection like fire and link. But this would also mean that death would not get good heals form attacks if doom and gloom were up. and from what i have seen in pvp most death people don't even care for the heals. i just don't know which way this would go.

Drains are suppose to work like that. That is an exclusive for Death wizards. They limit the healing of others, while continuing to heal themselves. However, because of this ability their attacks are some of the lowest in the game. Death has to trap or blade to maintain DPS.

Doom & Gloom + Infection is one of the best combo spells in PvP.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010

My Reply: Because it's what makes Death so unique and special. It can put up Doom and Gloom and attack and heal, no other wizard can really do this under D&G. Some wizards will use Skeleton Dragon under D&G, but I don't. I just use Wraith, Posion, and the Monster, for all my attacks.
So, life can superheal, Myth can take off shields, Fire has high attacks over rounds, Storm can hit quick and do massive damage, Balance has it's hard to block spells, etc. KI made each Wizard have something special, and completey different from the other.

My Reply: I hope they never change what Death or any other wizard is.
If they change the way Death is, they have destoryed the Wizard, and I wouldn't want to see this happen. You have to master each wizard, because they all play different, and have easy times at different levels.

I don't care if they add more Wizards that are different, but then I hope they add the options to add more wizards to your account. I have six out of seven, and I kinda like it like this, you just can't have them all without a second account.

Joe.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
I hope they don't change drain, i mean these are what makes death well death! Taking this special attack away would ruin the balance of power even more and more over ruin all of death.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
The Drain spell is a Death power, and devastating when used correctly. A well buffed Frankenstein can kill almost any boss, and can win many a match in PvP. A Warlord Death friend of mine uses Enchanted, low pip Drain spells to win. So basically, I think these should remain as is.