Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

whos 1st & 2nd:new ideas on how to decide?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 11, 2009
in case you havent noticed, the random choosing of whos first and whos second is getting pretty annoying, espacially(cant spell) in pvp. so does anyone have any knew ideas on how to decide whos first and whos second?
coin flip?
rock paper scizors?
i dont know. you guyz have any ideas, dont be afraid to post them.

Geographer
Feb 27, 2009
Well, I think it is better random. And I'm not saying its not annoying for me too. But if everyone went thesame way every time, it wouldn't be fair.

Explorer
Mar 19, 2010
Popman98 wrote:
in case you havent noticed, the random choosing of whos first and whos second is getting pretty annoying, espacially(cant spell) in pvp. so does anyone have any knew ideas on how to decide whos first and whos second?
coin flip?
rock paper scizors?

A lot of players have said that it would run much more efficiently if it was done in a chess format, like one team takes a shot and thats the end of that turn and the next turn only the other team can take a shot and not the team who had just had theirs. I think this would help too because it would stop chain beguiling even if it does sort of wreck the whole of the spell but as a lot of the control magic doesnt have much of a space in pvp, e.g taunt pacify, beguile does which dpesnt seem fair on the non death players who only have the spells like pacify and such. This technique would also help players see if the first team have put shields or such up so they dont have that disadvantage of "those who go first can see enemies turns and those who go second cant see enemies turns".

Nathan StormRider
Grandmaster Storm

Defender
Jun 11, 2009
77296 wrote:
Popman98 wrote:
coin flip?
rock paper scizors?

A lot of players have said that it would run much more efficiently if it was done in a chess format, like one team takes a shot and thats the end of that turn and the next turn only the other team can take a shot and not the team who had just had theirs. I think this would help too because it would stop chain beguiling even if it does sort of wreck the whole of the spell but as a lot of the control magic doesnt have much of a space in pvp, e.g taunt pacify, beguile does and so this technique would help it would mean that players can see if the first team have put shields or such up so they dont have that disadvantage of "those who go first can see enemies turns and those who go second cant see enemies turns".

Nathan StormRider
Grandmaster Storm
Rank

whoa, this idea is awesome. i have a feeling this topic has already been discussed. it would totally help to have it like this.although it would make things a bit slower, it would totally make the game better.

Defender
May 31, 2009
Wow - this certainly is a theme that has suddenly become all the rage.

However, I'll reply here because the other post on the same topic is more of a rant than a constructive call for discussion.

I too agree with the general consensus that going first is indeed a huge advantage and makes winning going second very difficult. Not impossible, mind you, but at some levels of the game I'd guess that going first translates into winning 90% or more. I know this from my own personal experience as I have defeated some very high level wizards (2000+) by going first that I KNOW I couldn't have won going 2nd.

As to suggestions, I can think of but a few...

1. Hear, hear, 77296 - the chess like format is indeed the most "fair". The person going first has a small advantage, but over time that advantage disappears. After all, a one time advantage is far more "fair" than an advantage every single round. The only thing I'd add is to change the 30 second time to come up with a spell to 15 seconds - otherwise, the matches would last forever!

2. Give the person going 2nd 5 (or 10) extra seconds to select a spell after the first person chooses a card. So the person going first has 15 seconds, and when they select a card it is shown to the person going 2nd. They, in turn, get 5 (or 10) seconds to come up with a spell.

3. Give the person going second extra pips to start. This only gives an advantage to the person in the beginning, and it eventually goes away, but still, it's a start.

Regardless, I think the easiest "fix" that doesn't actually change the game play his would be to change the way pvp "points" are issued. As in, if you go first and win, you get 1/2 as many points and your opponent loses 1/2 as many. Conversely, because it's harder to win going 2nd, if you do win going 2nd you get twice as many points (and your opponent loses twice as many). This way, it rewards those who can overcome this disadvantage and, who knows, maybe some folks might actually WANT to go 2nd.

I'd be interested to see what other ideas are out there...

mlb

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
Popman98 wrote:
coin flip?
rock paper scizors?
hmmm... I should try that so my cousins will stop fighting over who goes first when they play monoploy, etc.