Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Whining vs Trying

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1556
Okay, let's face it, more than half the complaints about spells/schools/gear being overpowered are only because a) the wizard lost to that type of person b) isn't willing to find a way on defeating it, and c) hoping for pvp to be as simple as 1-2-3 and as easy as possible. There are some understandable complaints, such as Ice's unneeded resist to Fire and Storm. That complaint actually had reason to it, and it wasn't just because that school defeated them, it was because Ice actually had overwhelming resist. Prisms weren't always the solution (Shrike still only makes them have around 40% resist), and spamming Insane Bolt was too risky. That, is what really ruined PvP for Fire and Storm. On the other hand, there's people on the message boards that complain about a certain spell as simple as Judgement or Heckhound, then they refuse to find a solution to beating it. There are people that complain about Treasure Cards while everybody has access to them. There are some who complain that they face too high level of wizards, while their rank is well above 2000. The solution to that? Rank down.

PvP was never meant to be a walk in the park or a "Hey I'm trying to get to Warlord, flee for me please" game. It's about trying to fill in your weak spots and building your advantages, not sitting and complaining without trying any solutions. So please, keep some unnecessary complains off the message boards or instead of complaining ask how you can defeat it.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
PvP King on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Okay, let's face it, more than half the complaints about spells/schools/gear being overpowered are only because a) the wizard lost to that type of person b) isn't willing to find a way on defeating it, and c) hoping for pvp to be as simple as 1-2-3 and as easy as possible. There are some understandable complaints, such as Ice's unneeded resist to Fire and Storm. That complaint actually had reason to it, and it wasn't just because that school defeated them, it was because Ice actually had overwhelming resist. Prisms weren't always the solution (Shrike still only makes them have around 40% resist), and spamming Insane Bolt was too risky. That, is what really ruined PvP for Fire and Storm. On the other hand, there's people on the message boards that complain about a certain spell as simple as Judgement or Heckhound, then they refuse to find a solution to beating it. There are people that complain about Treasure Cards while everybody has access to them. There are some who complain that they face too high level of wizards, while their rank is well above 2000. The solution to that? Rank down.

PvP was never meant to be a walk in the park or a "Hey I'm trying to get to Warlord, flee for me please" game. It's about trying to fill in your weak spots and building your advantages, not sitting and complaining without trying any solutions. So please, keep some unnecessary complains off the message boards or instead of complaining ask how you can defeat it.
This is self-explanatory. Some things are simply not fair. How is a level 50 supposed to beat a level 95 that has advantages in everything but resist and "skill" in comparison to the level 50?

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
953
To add to that, KI designed the game in my opinion to be very difficult for certain schools to
be able to beat other schools. I think that KI designed each school to have problems with
two other schools. Example, Balance only has Heal over rounds, and Ice is designed to
steal them. It makes it impossible for Balance to beat an Ice, when Ice can steal each and
every heal. Death is designed to be able to bring down Life, and it goes on and on.
Each school has it's weak points, and that is why I think the Amulets were brought
into the game.

Second adder, Experience is a key factor, if you have a ton of XP, and you have designed
your deck and gear for how you play, you will almost always beat someone that has no
or limited xp. I really have to say that is the key to all the complaints, the person complaining
is limited in experience.

The one area that I could counter is Storm, and the resist that Ice. With the new Shrike spell,
and Storms huge damage, I really no longer see this as an issue.
Just look at the 2 age PvP for storm, they are #1, no question about it.

Storm, 1, 5, 9, 58, 96, 106, 112, 115, 176, 194.

When your Ranked 1, 5, 9, for Level 90 and above, it says something. No other school
can touch this kind of record.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
32
I shouldn't need to downrank just to be able to play the game. Simple as that.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1556
Noohb on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
I shouldn't need to downrank just to be able to play the game. Simple as that.
I have a level 50 Ice wizard, and trust me, defeating high levels is very possible. It just takes a little more time and putting on a more defensive strategy, and trying to survive until you find an opening to defeat the high level. It's difficult, but definitely not impossible.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
32
PvP King on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
I have a level 50 Ice wizard, and trust me, defeating high levels is very possible. It just takes a little more time and putting on a more defensive strategy, and trying to survive until you find an opening to defeat the high level. It's difficult, but definitely not impossible.
True, PvP King, but I find it truly difficult to consistently gain rank at legendary. I'm stuck at the 1400 wall, I get prometheans, and I pretty much win/lose 50/50. It's just if I get lucky and block their crits. But if I'm against storm, I lose almost every time unless I crit myself. All they need to do is infallible triton then bolt spam and I can't do anything. Any tips? I try to play defensively, but that doesnt work against them. No point in shielding when they're pumping out 700 damage with bolts every round, and that's if they DON'T crit, and only hit 100. If they hit 1000, I'm dead anyways.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
220
Noohb on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
I shouldn't need to downrank just to be able to play the game. Simple as that.
If you don't want to rank down why don't you try leveling up. There is more to the game than pvp and your experience in game WILL help you better understand the mechanics of your schools spells. As a side note, i have been beaten by a few very clever level 50's - it can be done.

Amber Raven Song, Max Warlord

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1556
Noohb on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
True, PvP King, but I find it truly difficult to consistently gain rank at legendary. I'm stuck at the 1400 wall, I get prometheans, and I pretty much win/lose 50/50. It's just if I get lucky and block their crits. But if I'm against storm, I lose almost every time unless I crit myself. All they need to do is infallible triton then bolt spam and I can't do anything. Any tips? I try to play defensively, but that doesnt work against them. No point in shielding when they're pumping out 700 damage with bolts every round, and that's if they DON'T crit, and only hit 100. If they hit 1000, I'm dead anyways.
On my Ice wizard I've been using stun attack spells frequently and keep low pip spells like Arcticzilla to take the Storm wizard down to low health. Sometimes, not always, I find that Volcanic Shield saves me from their Wild Bolts quite often, but I'm sure other schools would have troubles with this considering their low health. In my opinion, Storm at max level PvP is far beyond overpowered anyways, and if they can one shot a max level Ice wizard then they're going to have no problems with a Grandmaster/Legendary of any school. A solution to it though is casting a minion and then stalling the Storm wizard out with shields and overtime heals (Regenerate), and constantly stunning them. For other schools, it's a lot easier, just use your normal strategy but always go defense before offense, unless you're first and are 100% sure you're going to kill with the spell.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
PvP King on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Okay, let's face it, more than half the complaints about spells/schools/gear being overpowered are only because a) the wizard lost to that type of person b) isn't willing to find a way on defeating it, and c) hoping for pvp to be as simple as 1-2-3 and as easy as possible. There are some understandable complaints, such as Ice's unneeded resist to Fire and Storm. That complaint actually had reason to it, and it wasn't just because that school defeated them, it was because Ice actually had overwhelming resist. Prisms weren't always the solution (Shrike still only makes them have around 40% resist), and spamming Insane Bolt was too risky. That, is what really ruined PvP for Fire and Storm. On the other hand, there's people on the message boards that complain about a certain spell as simple as Judgement or Heckhound, then they refuse to find a solution to beating it. There are people that complain about Treasure Cards while everybody has access to them. There are some who complain that they face too high level of wizards, while their rank is well above 2000. The solution to that? Rank down.

PvP was never meant to be a walk in the park or a "Hey I'm trying to get to Warlord, flee for me please" game. It's about trying to fill in your weak spots and building your advantages, not sitting and complaining without trying any solutions. So please, keep some unnecessary complains off the message boards or instead of complaining ask how you can defeat it.
I think you are on to a good point here. There is a lot of non-constructive complaining. If people spent half the energy of complaining on actually learning how to play effectively, they would be ranking up just fine.

I understand the impulse to complain -- I have done my fair share of it myself. But once you stop complaining, and start observing how the good players are winning, then your game gets better quickly.

To win in PVP takes good strategy, good equipment, and good pets, relative to the level of your wizard. Check out the stats of the wizards who beat you and see what they have that you can get for yourself. Notice the spell combinations that are highly effective, and start using them. It is that simple.

I noticed back in the NFL playoffs, that when the quarterbacks of the loosing team were interviewed, they never said "It is so unfair! The other team had such big players and they used cheating formations!" No, a winning quarterback always takes responsibility: "I could have played better. I could have read the coverage better, or thrown more accurately. This loss is all on me. I am going to go watch the film and see what I could have done better." That is why they get to be elite, winning quarterbacks -- they take responsibility for what they need to do to be winners.

Now, not everybody really wants to go through all the trouble of getting the right equipment and strategy to be successful at PVP. PVP is only one optional part of Wizard101. I did not want to do PVP for a long time. But if you do want to be good at PVP, then all it takes is learning how to be good at it, and then taking the time and effort to get good at it. Take responsibility for being a winner, and you will get there sooner or later.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
32
PvP King on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
On my Ice wizard I've been using stun attack spells frequently and keep low pip spells like Arcticzilla to take the Storm wizard down to low health. Sometimes, not always, I find that Volcanic Shield saves me from their Wild Bolts quite often, but I'm sure other schools would have troubles with this considering their low health. In my opinion, Storm at max level PvP is far beyond overpowered anyways, and if they can one shot a max level Ice wizard then they're going to have no problems with a Grandmaster/Legendary of any school. A solution to it though is casting a minion and then stalling the Storm wizard out with shields and overtime heals (Regenerate), and constantly stunning them. For other schools, it's a lot easier, just use your normal strategy but always go defense before offense, unless you're first and are 100% sure you're going to kill with the spell.
Do you think I should buy an ice amulet for my balance, then? I have Winter Moon and Paw from lore, still going for Lore itself though.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
32
AmberRavenSong7 on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
If you don't want to rank down why don't you try leveling up. There is more to the game than pvp and your experience in game WILL help you better understand the mechanics of your schools spells. As a side note, i have been beaten by a few very clever level 50's - it can be done.

Amber Raven Song, Max Warlord
I want to stay at level 60 because it, in my opinion, is the most skill based level. Anything under 50 is just whoever can blast their high level tc off, and I feel like 50 is just whoever has a huge damage pet. I did pretty good at 60, my record was 120-40. Now It's 160-80 because of the matches that I get..

Explorer
Oct 10, 2010
92
Finnagainwindrider wrote: "To win in PVP takes good strategy, good equipment, and good pets, relative to the level of your wizard. Check out the stats of the wizards who beat you and see what they have that you can get for yourself. Notice the spell combinations that are highly effective, and start using them. It is that simple.".

I would like to add one items to Finnagainwindrider's above statement.
Along with what he added, I would also like to suggest getting or crafting the additional spells
that are available. For example, Life has a spell that does damage and also puts up a
weakness at the same time. These spells can really help as you progress in your combos,
and strategies, as you level up in rank.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
220
Noohb on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
I want to stay at level 60 because it, in my opinion, is the most skill based level. Anything under 50 is just whoever can blast their high level tc off, and I feel like 50 is just whoever has a huge damage pet. I did pretty good at 60, my record was 120-40. Now It's 160-80 because of the matches that I get..
Well that sounds like a very good excuse to keep whining, and not trying. PvP at my level takes plenty of skill. If you want to keep using spells that you are comfortable with and never learn anything new or grow,hey man, that is your choice. Do not expect me to cry for you or go easy on you in the ring. I guess since you refuse to level up then yes you are gonna be ranking down. I will be happy to assist you with that.

Amber Raven Song, Max Warlord

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1556
Noohb on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
Do you think I should buy an ice amulet for my balance, then? I have Winter Moon and Paw from lore, still going for Lore itself though.
I used to use an Ice mastery amulet back when my Balance was at lvl 30 (Then I switched to the Myth mastery amulet for Shatter once the spell got updated), and I just used Melts and buff myself until I could get a clear Judgement on them (It only works with unlimited shuffle, and since that doesn't exist anymore it's probably a good idea to keep a high level of Reshuffle TC and some Cloaks in your main deck). Later on, I used a Myth Mastery amulet, which was the best thing ever for me. I always used my Mander the first turn then Cloaked a bunch of Weaknesses/Infections/Vaporize while Reshuffling, then when I'd completely drown them in those I'd Cloak spam Elemental/Spirit/Tower/Volcanic/Dream Shields, and I'd sacrifice my minion for health, stack up for Judgement with regular Feint, Feint TC, Feint from my pet, and use Melt to stop any Tower Shield then use Shatter. Some people were smart enough to use Empower, so I usually layered my Feints while shielding. I'm not sure if this strategy works still or not (highly likely that the Ice Mastery would do you a lot better), but it's what I did to beat level 60-70's. With PvP at a much higher damage pace now, I think the Ice Mastery amulet would be good for Judgement of course, and also the stun from Winter Moon is a pretty smart move, I never thought of that for my Balance. So I'd say yeah, it's good for stunning them while they have backlash on, then shielding/dispelling if they're Ice.

In my opinion though, it's a great amulet but way too complicated to set up from second. I'd prefer a Death mastery amulet at level 60 PvP for Balance, just for those quick Doom and Glooms vs high levels (It's a whole lot worse when they heal), and also using some Sacrifices for quick heals.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
32
AmberRavenSong7 on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
Well that sounds like a very good excuse to keep whining, and not trying. PvP at my level takes plenty of skill. If you want to keep using spells that you are comfortable with and never learn anything new or grow,hey man, that is your choice. Do not expect me to cry for you or go easy on you in the ring. I guess since you refuse to level up then yes you are gonna be ranking down. I will be happy to assist you with that.

Amber Raven Song, Max Warlord
I have started leveling up, and I'd like to see you in my shoes without complaining.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
32
AmberRavenSong7 on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
Well that sounds like a very good excuse to keep whining, and not trying. PvP at my level takes plenty of skill. If you want to keep using spells that you are comfortable with and never learn anything new or grow,hey man, that is your choice. Do not expect me to cry for you or go easy on you in the ring. I guess since you refuse to level up then yes you are gonna be ranking down. I will be happy to assist you with that.

Amber Raven Song, Max Warlord
And I'm sorry, but if as a promethean, you manage to lose against a level 50, something is TERRIBLY wrong.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
364
Veracity8 on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
To add to that, KI designed the game in my opinion to be very difficult for certain schools to
be able to beat other schools. I think that KI designed each school to have problems with
two other schools. Example, Balance only has Heal over rounds, and Ice is designed to
steal them. It makes it impossible for Balance to beat an Ice, when Ice can steal each and
every heal. Death is designed to be able to bring down Life, and it goes on and on.
Each school has it's weak points, and that is why I think the Amulets were brought
into the game.

Second adder, Experience is a key factor, if you have a ton of XP, and you have designed
your deck and gear for how you play, you will almost always beat someone that has no
or limited xp. I really have to say that is the key to all the complaints, the person complaining
is limited in experience.

The one area that I could counter is Storm, and the resist that Ice. With the new Shrike spell,
and Storms huge damage, I really no longer see this as an issue.
Just look at the 2 age PvP for storm, they are #1, no question about it.

Storm, 1, 5, 9, 58, 96, 106, 112, 115, 176, 194.

When your Ranked 1, 5, 9, for Level 90 and above, it says something. No other school
can touch this kind of record.
Just so you know, Ice didn't have Snow Drift until 2 worlds after balance's SECOND HoT (Heal over time). I do agree that sometimes it seems like there is an obvious way that one school can dominate another. My PvP friends and I often complain about myth in 1v1. That is because a lot of us are balance, and their basilisk is deadly almost instantly. (we PvP at magus through grandmaster). Also, yeah I think that Storm is doing REALLY good right now, they are not unbeatable until you find them as Warlords at max level though. The spammer storms are easy to beat with a solid strategy..thank goodness. Also I completely agree with the "experience factor" if you complain, often you have less experience than the people who don't complain and instead immediately find a counter for the situation.

Wolf Skullslinger

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
AmberRavenSong7 on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
Well that sounds like a very good excuse to keep whining, and not trying. PvP at my level takes plenty of skill. If you want to keep using spells that you are comfortable with and never learn anything new or grow,hey man, that is your choice. Do not expect me to cry for you or go easy on you in the ring. I guess since you refuse to level up then yes you are gonna be ranking down. I will be happy to assist you with that.

Amber Raven Song, Max Warlord
Why shouldn't anyone be able to pvp at a certain lvl without unfair matching? Before you say a thing to me why don't you answer that question (if it takes a few weeks that's okay I'll be waiting). This is a major problem right now, noohb has a good excuse for complaining because it's a real problem. You being a max lvl explains why you struggle so dearly to understand this problem. Before you tell anyone to stop whining make a lvl 50 and rank her up in the 2000s and hopefully your ignorance of this problem will cease.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
32
AmberRavenSong7 on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
Well that sounds like a very good excuse to keep whining, and not trying. PvP at my level takes plenty of skill. If you want to keep using spells that you are comfortable with and never learn anything new or grow,hey man, that is your choice. Do not expect me to cry for you or go easy on you in the ring. I guess since you refuse to level up then yes you are gonna be ranking down. I will be happy to assist you with that.

Amber Raven Song, Max Warlord
Also, nothing you said was even relevant to what I was saying. I was talking about how it's broken that level 50s-60s can get level 95s. What are you even talking about?

Survivor
Apr 10, 2011
8
apparently, ki doesnt want me to answer your question. please stop being rude. it seems like you can read so if my previous messages were unclear, read them again. maybe use a dictionary. good luck on your pvp adventure.

Survivor
Jul 25, 2011
3
you know ki make everything good, every school have it own power to defeat other school. beside every school have it on hidden secret try to find it :)