Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is the problem with "puppetism"?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 04, 2013
Hi fellow wizards,
I would like to know the whole problem with puppetism. Once, my lvl 90 friend and i were ranked pvp and we got reported cause we were doing 'puppetism'!! Honestly, we were just trying to have some fun together. Same thing with my sister and her lvl 70 friend. People are just trying to have fun. Why are others SO sensitive?
Plz reply and tell me why.

Valdus Ghostsword lvl 27

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
ValdusGhostsword on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
Hi fellow wizards,
I would like to know the whole problem with puppetism. Once, my lvl 90 friend and i were ranked pvp and we got reported cause we were doing 'puppetism'!! Honestly, we were just trying to have some fun together. Same thing with my sister and her lvl 70 friend. People are just trying to have fun. Why are others SO sensitive?

Valdus Ghostsword lvl 27
Puppetting is when a high and low level wizard team together and get much lower level opponents. It is unfair, as the lower levels often cannot hope to defeat puppets, but it is not cause to report. If you would like to pvp with a friend of a certain level, I would suggest making a character the same level.

Survivor
Apr 19, 2012
Hi fellow wizards,

Valdus Ghostsword lvl 27
Hi Valdus GhostSword,
Teh problem about "puppetism" is that they think you are puppeting. The problem is they think you are controlling 2 players. This happened to my level 90 friend and I too. Some things that make them think you are doing puppetism is:
  • You are delaying in sentences right after the other player (friend) says them.
  • Playing with same gender/named wizard
They will report you because the problem is you aren't suppossed to have 2 accounts. Ultimately, KI won't do anything about this. You're okay.

Hannah Moonstone, level 43

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
First off, you don't need to worry about the report. Puppeting is not a reportable offense.

I'll just like to say that I have no problem with puppeting. Other people do though because it causes you to go against a lower level team, which would make defeating them easier for the higher level. There has apparently been strides made against Puppeting, such as when you do a puppet, you are more likely to end up against a team closer to the level of the high level wizard. I don't know if this is true for a fact though, since I haven't seen any official release note saying this.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
Hi fellow wizards,

Valdus Ghostsword lvl 27
Who did you fight? Because puppeting was a MAJOR problem before one of the more recent updates. If you (level 27) paired with your friend (level 90) then before this update, you would have fought level 20's and 30's. Now ask yourself how that is fair? Mostly they have fixed that however, and a level 90/27 team would have gotten level 50 warlords who can most of the time deal with it

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
Healer2704 on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Hi Valdus GhostSword,
Teh problem about "puppetism" is that they think you are puppeting. The problem is they think you are controlling 2 players. This happened to my level 90 friend and I too. Some things that make them think you are doing puppetism is:
  • You are delaying in sentences right after the other player (friend) says them.
  • Playing with same gender/named wizard
They will report you because the problem is you aren't suppossed to have 2 accounts. Ultimately, KI won't do anything about this. You're okay.

Hannah Moonstone, level 43
That is not true, you can have 10 accounts if you want to, the problem is if you are a max level who is teamed with a low level and you get paired with two lower level people, then you are taking advantage of the ranking system..essentially cheating. Because how fair is it for 2 level 20 wizards to fight a level 20 AND a promethean? Even though, it is sorely misunderstood. I dualbox (use 2 accounts) to PvP and do 2v2. I have been called a puppet team even though we were one level apart (30 and 31).

Hope I helped,
Wolf Skullslinger

Defender
Oct 04, 2010
Hi fellow wizards,

Valdus Ghostsword lvl 27
Oh my gosh, it's like your reading my mind. I don't know whats up with all these anti-puppeting people. I see its wrong when the same person plays two different accounts, but seriously people! If I want help from a high leveled friend I shouldn't get criticized for it. I consider puppeting a strategy, and if people think it's wrong, so be it. I've said it now and will say it thousand more times, get over it people!

- Scarlet Moonstone lvl 41

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
scarletmoonstone14... on Apr 27, 2014 wrote:
Oh my gosh, it's like your reading my mind. I don't know whats up with all these anti-puppeting people. I see its wrong when the same person plays two different accounts, but seriously people! If I want help from a high leveled friend I shouldn't get criticized for it. I consider puppeting a strategy, and if people think it's wrong, so be it. I've said it now and will say it thousand more times, get over it people!

- Scarlet Moonstone lvl 41
You do understand that it's considered cheating, right? It's not fair to the other team when they see a level 90+ and a level 27 (for example) teamed together. I've seen many many battles where that kind of insane team-up decimated the other side within 4 or less rounds.

So, if you want to cheat, go right ahead. Your wins wouldn't be 'real' wins.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 28, 2014 wrote:
You do understand that it's considered cheating, right? It's not fair to the other team when they see a level 90+ and a level 27 (for example) teamed together. I've seen many many battles where that kind of insane team-up decimated the other side within 4 or less rounds.

So, if you want to cheat, go right ahead. Your wins wouldn't be 'real' wins.
It may be considered "cheating" by some of the PvP community, but certainly not all. It won't be fair to call puppeting cheating- cheating is breaking the rules; puppeting breaks no official rules of PvP(which there aren't really any, unless you do Central tournaments). Blame it on the matching system for the insane teamups.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
AustinShadowSwordA... on Apr 29, 2014 wrote:
It may be considered "cheating" by some of the PvP community, but certainly not all. It won't be fair to call puppeting cheating- cheating is breaking the rules; puppeting breaks no official rules of PvP(which there aren't really any, unless you do Central tournaments). Blame it on the matching system for the insane teamups.
While the matching system is unfair, I agree with Brynner that puppeting is cheating.

When I was level 24, myself and another adept wizard got paired with a level 2 and a level 70~ the level 70's critical killed us within 2 rounds. To avoid this, I now stick to 1v1 and my magus wizard will never team up again. I've done too much work to rank her up, and I refuse to lose all of that effort to an unfair fight.

Puppeting is not strategy: even if it doesn't break any official rules, it can and should be viewed as an exploit of an already-weak system.

-von
magus veteran

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
If the higher wizards create the friend match up and the lower wizard joins there going to maybe 2 warlords to fight them.

Lvl 90 myth create a 2v2 and a lvl 27 warlords joins his or hers friend in the match.
Friends don't always check there friends lvl so they don't no what there lvl is.

And puppetting is a falsely report to do but mostly only guys warlords report on it.

I did a team up with a life wizard in rank pvp.

And we fought a fire wizard that was a knight and a private that went into shadow shrike form.
The 95 wizard was a private but only did heals.

The life wizard on my team killed the 95 life wizard that was on the same side as the fire wizard.

My life wizard team got killed after killing the lvl 95 life wizard and the fire wizard that was a night did a dumb thing he healed his team mate that was lvl 95.

So i did the power nova spell to kill both of them but I call the spell a ball of cheese.

And that was a long time ago like 4 months ago.

Amy lvl 96 Now still no shadow spells lol

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
i really don't see what the problem is with having two accounts and taking them to pvp together. in fact i have every intention of doing that with my two wizards when i feel like pvping again. It is in no way cheating. its just that when people lose they will complain. the end. no matter what you do or how you do it, what your level is, or what cards you use or don't use. when people lose they whine and complain, and try to make you feel like you did something wrong. they might even report you, but you will never be sanctioned for winning or for owning two accounts. You will never be sanctioned for PvPing with your lower level friend either. these are the same people that will beg and plead with you to throw the match, another thing i never do. some people just take PvP Way way waaaaaay too seriously. if its not fun then you're doing it wrong. if it is fun, mission accomplished.

Amber Raven Song, Max Warlord & 70 Private

Survivor
Apr 29, 2014
I see level 5's with pvp warlord all the time. The problem with puppeting is it is blatant exploitation or a broken system. Everyone that has done it should have their titles removed. If I bought a glass vial from a vendor and sold it back for a profit because something was broken that would be exploitation. Same goes for puppeting.

No one wants to pvp these days they just seem to want to exploit in some way for a title.

Explorer
Dec 24, 2009
My opinion on puppetism shifts with everything I read. Sometimes I agree it's bad. Other times I agree with Scarlet. Right now I think it's a strategy. I would also like to say there's a difference between puppeting and killing time with a stronger friend. When people lose, they will complain and try to make themselves appear like the true victors, it's human nature. No matter what, that won't be changing anytime soon. IDK why people are so sensitive. It might have to do with people not liking to be ruled by another person or group of people. Another part of human nature. Puppeting shouldn't be reported. It's not my fault I know how to exploit the system. It's basic strategy. It would be like spamming fire elf till the opponent fell to their knees (or in this case, rolled their neck). Think about it this way, if you had an elder Couch Potato plant that respawn each day out of a glitch, would you tell Kingsisle about it? No, you wouldn't, because elder Couch Potatoes give great pet snacks(from what I've heard anyway).

Richard BattleStone lvl 86