Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What gives?

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Dear kingsisle,

I have a level 10 fire wizard, 455 wins 35 losses, rank 1050 warlord. It seems as though a little tweaking has been done to the matching system.

Before I would fight a level 39 private and would win one point when I came out victorious. Fair considering my skill level and resist far exceeds the health disadvantage. Also the opponent that was unfortunate to square off with me lost only a point.

Now I just fought a level 39 death private, rank 422 and when I win I get 30 points??? Worst part is he lost 30 I'm pretty sure.

The old point system was a good challenge for low levels giving the chance to make a very good win loss ratio which was a very popular pass time in my circles and with minimal point loss to inexperienced players. Was something changed because a few people were whining for a easy way to warlord?

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Obvioulsy.. I don't like the idea at all of people that understand PvP taking advantage of players that don't understand it.. And so when the glorious day comes when the higher level wins and they lose once compared to their some hundred wins then they complain.. And now PvP is ruined for the players just starting it. If you ask me people should just level and then pvp so we don't get all this messed up stuff..

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
Obvioulsy.. I don't like the idea at all of people that understand PvP taking advantage of players that don't understand it.. And so when the glorious day comes when the higher level wins and they lose once compared to their some hundred wins then they complain.. And now PvP is ruined for the players just starting it. If you ask me people should just level and then pvp so we don't get all this messed up stuff..

Dear Thorvan,

Your reply had nothing to do with my thread topic, so once again you are off topic and trying to hijack my thread. Ty for your valuable opinion but has nothing to do with the point system. Maybe one day you will actually read a thread before you add your opinion. I have asked you before to not reply to me as you have often changed topics and attempted to close threads with your antics.

Many of the people I fight are actually my level with perfect pets and have more skill than you could even imagine. If I encounter a private who is ice the health difference is 744 to 2100, they have more cards and better spells making it not only a challenge but an entertaining match.

Pls do not reply because you will just be off topic again or try to get me banned lol. I was saying.... It's nice that KI is catering to very good mid level players (ones who rank high enough to fight warlords) but the new point system is only going to punish people with low ranks. like level and ranked matches are not an option (sry I have better things to do with my money than wait an hour for every pvp battle) so the old point system seemed a fair solution to minimizing point loss to newer players.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
thorvon65 wrote:

Actually, with the new system they may just in fact be forced to level up before doing PvP now. Time will tell though in how many low and mid level PvPers are out there.

PvP is now the reverse of Pet Derby. In Pet Derby it is extremely hard to find other players willing to race at the ancient level. Most are all Teen or Adult. Now with PvP, most duels will be at the higher end levels while lower level wizards wait for other low level wizards.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
kingurz wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:

Actually, with the new system they may just in fact be forced to level up before doing PvP now. Time will tell though in how many low and mid level PvPers are out there.

PvP is now the reverse of Pet Derby. In Pet Derby it is extremely hard to find other players willing to race at the ancient level. Most are all Teen or Adult. Now with PvP, most duels will be at the higher end levels while lower level wizards wait for other low level wizards.

That will be nice, Hopefully it can thin some of the complaints on the message boards.

But I would like to thank you king for actually answering my response. As you can Travis just takes any post I reply and if it doesn't agree with him he just makes up something. So thanks for respecting my reply.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
travisAk wrote:
Many of the people I fight are actually my level with perfect pets and have more skill than you could even imagine. If I encounter a private who is ice the health difference is 744 to 2100, they have more cards and better spells making it not only a challenge but an entertaining match.

TravisAK,

I was actually surprised. I thought the point system would have been adjusted before any tweaking with the actual match up system. Now I assume players will have to level up in order to gain any significant points, even though the competition remains the same.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011

It seems fairly unbelievable to me that you are complaining about the new scoring system, which takes both rank and level into account, not just rank.

New people to PvP can learn so much just from practice matches. They do not need to learn to wand off their weakness in ranked matches. Nor not to tower when the opponent is at one pip. I've written on these forums a lot of the important lessons that need be learned in practice before entering ranked matches - and if these new players can't read the forums, they can play in practice as I did to get the hang of things.

I'd wager some legend noob teams (not all) are out of the biz in 2v2. The points are not worth it anymore for the length of time you sit in queue so I must reserve a healthy amount of skepticism for those who dislike the new scoring system especially when they say that the 'liked the challenge' of fighting a much higher level and defeating them without admitting that it isnt a feat to be rewarded. Everyone who 'likes a challenge' admits to liking harder things... well in a fair world accomplishing 'harder' things leads to better rewards.

So to me Travis and Thorvons complaints seem mightily suspicious.

anyone with a legend and a low level of skill is getting docked a lot of points if they dont kill a magus now. I mean there are a lot of things that could unnerve a kid about the new score system.

That they are unnerved because their difficult challenges are now being rewarded appropiately?

Sorry everyone, this is a story some kids are selling that I'm not buying.

new players can help themselves to the practice arena till they learn the ropes or read "1v1 strategies" thread on this very forum.

LW

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Hey Laura....

I am part of a low level group (not level 30 so apparently out of your care zone) that enjoyed the point system because a win at high level would translate into low points. We would enjoy a one point victory because I meant for a better win-loss ratio. Now under the new point system this part of , that you do not do and so you will not care about, is now impossible. If you would once look past your own mid level issues you might havenread this in my original post. Trying to point out that a change to the point system has many different effects on many different people that play pvp for many different reasons. And hold your suspicions pls because you know in your heart this will negatively effect less than perfect players like yourself. Legend level one teams are a disgrace to pvp and we often talk solutions in my circles. Point is, one aspect of pvp I really enjoyed doing is gone now. Thx to all the complainers. I hope the spiral is ready for the next wave of complaints sure to come.

King, matching system was not changed only the point system

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
laurawatersong wrote:

LW

Ok I liked your post until you put Travis and I in the same sentence. Laura I completely disagreed with him lol, I mean unless i'm trully impressed by fact or knowledge. Just know most of the time I will disagree with Travis.
So please don't try to make it appear that he and I have similar complaints or views because we don't lol.

As I stated I don't like people who use superior PvP experience and knowledge, To take advantage of people that are new to PvP. Which from my understanding is what Travis did, and then lost, and it lead to this post which is a complaint if you ask me..

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
laurawatersong wrote:

LW

Ok I liked your post until you put Travis and I in the same sentence. Laura I completely disagreed with him lol, I mean unless i'm trully impressed by fact or knowledge. Just know most of the time I will disagree with Travis.
So please don't try to make it appear that he and I have similar complaints or views because we don't lol.

As I stated I don't like people who use superior PvP experience and knowledge, To take advantage of people that are new to PvP. Which from my understanding is what Travis did, and then lost, and it lead to this post which is a complaint if you ask me..
hey Thorvan, have you ever tried fighting a level 45 balance at level 10? Try it out from second and tell me how it worked out for you. Laura is my mirror image at level 30, meaning she fights underexpierienced legends and uses her perfect pet and resist gear (probably over 50%) for a challenge. Once again Thorvon you have no clue what people are talking about and reply in a seemingly random manner. Take your time and try to absorb a paragraph plz, re-read if necessary.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
travisAk wrote:

Ok, thanks Travis. Thought you were saying you were no longer getting your preferred matchups (your ice scenario) and I thought I saw someone post something similar too. I personally have not had a major mismatch (level wise) recently.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
travisAk wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:
laurawatersong wrote:

LW

hey Thorvan, have you ever tried fighting a level 45 balance at level 10? Try it out from second and tell me how it worked out for you. Laura is my mirror image at level 30, meaning she fights underexpierienced legends and uses her perfect pet and resist gear (probably over 50%) for a challenge. Once again Thorvon you have no clue what people are talking about and reply in a seemingly random manner. Take your time and try to absorb a paragraph plz, re-read if necessary.

Ok keep making stuff up? I did read and it is obvious at this point I don't even think you know what you wrote because you keep changing your answer for everyone that is disagreeing with you? If you can't take a disagreement don't post lol..

Look I'm sorry if you can't come up with a reasonable respone. I dont think an exact level of me fighting a level 45 balance at level ten. But I fought a level 43 balance at level 15 went second and won. If that counts.

Ok if laura is your mirror Image why did she disagree with you.? The only thing you seemed to pick up is that laura tried to say that you and I were wrong. So as soon as you see Thorvon is wrong you agree with her but she doesn't understand my stance on the problem. And you immediately go on her side even if she disagreed with you.

Honestly Travis can you actually try to respond rather than just go on an emotional disagreement that really has no point lol.. Especially that you have contradicted yourself like 5 times already. I can understand confusion can be a useful tactic on the message boards, but your not pulling it off I think your just confusing yourself o. o.

Well this is most likely the way i'm leaving this post because it is getting way off topic. And your again just emotionally disagreeing with me.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
kingurz wrote:
travisAk wrote:

Ok, thanks Travis. Thought you were saying you were no longer getting your preferred matchups (your ice scenario) and I thought I saw someone post something similar too. I personally have not had a major mismatch (level wise) recently.
I'll describe my issue in a little more detail if you don't mind reading into it. As a level ten duelist I have never once downranked to get where I am. Through gear preparation, SOLID deck construction and sharp timing I was able to fight against people my level with equal gear and skill or higher level wizards within the realm of possibility. The new point system has caused my character to move so fast up in ranks that at 1290 my level ten has had some pretty ridiculous battles. 1) vs level 23 commander, juiced pet all warlord gear
2) a level 45 death private thirty five levels higher than me. It's put me in a position where I have to downrank to get a fair fight, essentially forcing people to downrank or level up. Fighting at this level was my favorite thing to do in pvp, where I fought and eventually made friends with people my level. I feel KI took that aspect of pvp away from Low Level players to cater to the needs of mid level dueling without so much as an explanation of why and how the new system works. I feel like the wind has been knocked out of me and at this point I need a break to take it in. Surely I will adjust and continue playing but it's been a few times they have left me with a bitter taste In my mouth. Good luck Laura with your crusade for the betterment of mid level dueling I'm done laying things out for you too but I can see downranking in your future because when the next cap comes you will feel the sting.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
wow, travis, you are mad.

and it is funny. it just reminds me of getting mad with people at the boards before and crafting a word into a sword that I'd push down their throat. I'm mellowing out so much just by looking at you. Also because I think I begin to get a sense of the age of the people that are posting here. :?

I have a level 16 Commander who is my pride and joy. She'd be warlord already but she's trained to team and her partner has been IRLifeing lately. I call anything under level 50 a midlevel. The arguments I make on these boards are for ALL midlevels, including low levels because I actively play with them.

My storm, now a magus, was into PvP before she hit level 10. It's the only thing I ever played the game for. PvP. I have all the crown gear from level 5, level 15, level 25. Some crown items for PvP more than one copy because now I have another level 14 PvPer. An adept ice and a fireling on her way (level 9) who was PvPing at lolz, level five, one vs one.

You still mad? I still have a crusade only for level 30?

Here's the thing, TravisAK. People who downrank are highly interested in getting wins for few points because they messed with their rank and their ratio is in the trash bin. You say you have not downranked ever on this little noob you defending here...... Ok, let's take that at face value. You have NEVER downranked on that little noob of yours.

So your fights have gotten too tough for you because your rank is high? Here's where you should pull out your 'love for a good challenge' personality you have shown us earlier in this thread.

I guarantee you if you win, under THIS new system, you WILL be properly rewarded.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
laurawatersong wrote:
wow, travis, you are mad.

and it is funny. it just reminds me of getting mad with people at the boards before and crafting a word into a sword that I'd push down their throat. I'm mellowing out so much just by looking at you. Also because I think I begin to get a sense of the age of the people that are posting here. :?

I have a level 16 Commander who is my pride and joy. She'd be warlord already but she's trained to team and her partner has been IRLifeing lately. I call anything under level 50 a midlevel. The arguments I make on these boards are for ALL midlevels, including low levels because I actively play with them.

My storm, now a magus, was into PvP before she hit level 10. It's the only thing I ever played the game for. PvP. I have all the crown gear from level 5, level 15, level 25. Some crown items for PvP more than one copy because now I have another level 14 PvPer. An adept ice and a fireling on her way (level 9) who was PvPing at lolz, level five, one vs one.

You still mad? I still have a crusade only for level 30?

Here's the thing, TravisAK. People who downrank are highly interested in getting wins for few points because they messed with their rank and their ratio is in the trash bin. You say you have not downranked ever on this little noob you defending here...... Ok, let's take that at face value. You have NEVER downranked on that little noob of yours.

So your fights have gotten too tough for you because your rank is high? Here's where you should pull out your 'love for a good challenge' personality you have shown us earlier in this thread.

I guarantee you if you win, under THIS new system, you WILL be properly rewarded.

That is pretty mellow for Laura I mean I counted like 11 faces in that. Gosh Travis what did you do??

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
My next course of action becomes clear. In an attempt to touch the stars one must eventually realize that their arms just won't do the trick. The arena has apparently outgrown my level 10 fire wizard. With one hand on the end of my rope it's just not physically possible to hang on anymore.

Take this for face value, starting at level 5 I reached warlord with a 61-1 record all on my own and my loss was a disconnection. This noob was my life for awhile and strategy became art. It just saddens me when I get insane bolted first turn and finished with a high yield bolt, you see my health and resist just aren't enough anymore. I get you Laura, and maybe I'm being a little childish but it just makes me sad. Oh, FYI mid level dueling is level 30... I level I may have to park at for awhile on my sad walk towards celestia. Maybe we'll but heads once again as Roland would have it. But it's bye for now.

Just want to say my bank will feel better with the new point system. It's not a terrible change but new pvp'ers will feel it, already I've seen people with very low ranks spawning up everywhere... Rank 80... Really? Maybe the glance between points and rank needs some more thought IMO

Explorer
May 12, 2010
Travis,

Honestly, what is your problem with the new scoring system?

If takes both rank and level into consideration!

So, if you are a private that is low level, facing a private of higher level, if you lose, you wont lose many points!

If you are a warlord of low level, facing a warlord of higher level, if you lose, you wont lose as many points!

If you are a private of a higher level, facing a lower level private, if you lose, you lose more points!

If you are a higher level warlord, facing a lower level warlord, and you lose, you lose more points!

So, in essence, this takes both into consideration, not just one! Which means better payout for your challenge!

This also allows new PvP players opportunities to gain rank and not lose rank when starting out in PvP!

How is this a problem?

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
RosamaryH wrote:
Travis,

So, if you are a private that is low level, facing a private of higher level, if you lose, you wont lose many points!

If you are a warlord of low level, facing a warlord of higher level, if you lose, you wont lose as many points!

If you are a private of a higher level, facing a lower level private, if you lose, you lose more points!

If you are a higher level warlord, facing a lower level warlord, and you lose, you lose more points!

So, in essence, this takes both into consideration, not just one! Which means better payout for your challenge!

This also allows new PvP players opportunities to gain rank and not lose rank when starting out in PvP!

How is this a problem?
It sounds fair the way it was constructed but I assure you it is a broken system. How in the world, or something along those lines, is the start of your next question which I will try to explain what is happening if you care to hear my view.

Problem #1 Legends/grandmasters learning to fight in rank are getting hit hard right now. There is a line up of very skilled magus wizards ripping them apart and pushing them down the ranks. You see the point system matches them with lower levels with an Exceptional amount of skill and takes a considerable amount of points when they lose. Go into one vs one and scroll down to the bottom of the list. There you will see an unorderly amount of high level players with really low ranks. The gap between matchups is out of control was the buzz as we watched a level 6th paired against a level 46 in ranked arena. These uneven matchings are causing an uproar amongst people who play low level pvp (20 and under).

Problem 2- new players are going to turn away from pvp when their ranks drop to zero in the course of a few days as they are constantly paired up against lower and lower level people with higher and higher skill. Rank should affect points more than level and I'll use myself as an example to explain why. Before update my character was stalled at 1025-1050 because a win translated into only a point. Level 40 privates had to get very lucky to beat my level 10 warlord from first or second as I would mostly blow through them with 470-35 record. I agree the system had flaws before but this goes to show you that levels don't mean that much when it comes to consistently beating someone at pvp. Rank is a reflection of experience and should hold more weight.

This change was made to sooth the pain of critical strikes against magus level pvp players but has negatively impacted new players and all but squashed pvp at lower levels. You can agree or disagree but time is the ultimate balancer and problems never seem to go unnoticed in this game, but I play everyday at low and high level and can see the results of this update, it don't look good.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
travisAk wrote:
RosamaryH wrote:
Travis,

How is this a problem?
It sounds fair the way it was constructed but I assure you it is a broken system. How in the world, or something along those lines, is the start of your next question which I will try to explain what is happening if you care to hear my view.

Problem #1 Legends/grandmasters learning to fight in rank are getting hit hard right now. There is a line up of very skilled magus wizards ripping them apart and pushing them down the ranks. You see the point system matches them with lower levels with an Exceptional amount of skill and takes a considerable amount of points when they lose. Go into one vs one and scroll down to the bottom of the list. There you will see an unorderly amount of high level players with really low ranks. The gap between matchups is out of control was the buzz as we watched a level 6th paired against a level 46 in ranked arena. These uneven matchings are causing an uproar amongst people who play low level pvp (20 and under).

Problem 2- new players are going to turn away from pvp when their ranks drop to zero in the course of a few days as they are constantly paired up against lower and lower level people with higher and higher skill. Rank should affect points more than level and I'll use myself as an example to explain why. Before update my character was stalled at 1025-1050 because a win translated into only a point. Level 40 privates had to get very lucky to beat my level 10 warlord from first or second as I would mostly blow through them with 470-35 record. I agree the system had flaws before but this goes to show you that levels don't mean that much when it comes to consistently beating someone at pvp. Rank is a reflection of experience and should hold more weight.

This change was made to sooth the pain of critical strikes against magus level pvp players but has negatively impacted new players and all but squashed pvp at lower levels. You can agree or disagree but time is the ultimate balancer and problems never seem to go unnoticed in this game, but I play everyday at low and high level and can see the results of this update, it don't look good.

I do not think that Rosemary could have put it ANY clearer.

What you are saying is that your new high rank is actually creating matches for you that you can't beat whereas you liked it better before when you beat everyone and got one point..... You liked it better before because your win / loss ratio would look better. Well how about it looks realistic while you are a super overlord? I feel like you are complaining that your sundae has a cherry on top. That is, over small things on an overall good thing.

A private legend needs to be terrible with capital T not to beat a magus and if their rank gets lower then they deserve it for being a lazy bum that can't take themselves farming to buy the proper treasures, or can't bother to garden for treasure, or can't bother to visit the pvp boards, or can't bother to ask a good player for advice. those maguses that are good and are beating legends are farming like their lives depend on it, gardening their heart out, spending crowns on mega snacks for super pets, farming more to hatch more (sometimes crown couch potatoes to have conviction if they out of training points)... I mean those maguses deserve the win every single bit IF they win. In addition, if they are higher rank than the legend, they dont even get over 20 points, which is what private legends used to get for beating up a low level before (ridiculously easy points).

If we want five year olds hanging out at the arena instead of watching sesame street, yeah, let's go back to the old system. As it stands, I think you can get any 7+ kid to understand how to do well in the arena. All they need to do is be proper young little boys and girls who ask for help or go to practice to learn --- unfortunately many end up trying to do exploits till the down ranking is fixed.

giving everything to kids easy is what makes little cheaters and thieves out of these kids. sometime somewhere they need to understand that being GOOD at ANYTHING requires practice and effort.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
:? Are we getting fired up now? :?

Laura,

First off, I don't really care much for ice cream but I could go for a few cherries.
Listen, I had fun under the previous point system but understand why it had to be changed. As far as creating a near perfect win loss ratio, something i loved to do, those days are over and I accept that. Moving forward I do not wish the ranking system to revert back the way it was only to reflect the fact that a wizards skill level (determined by rank) should be more of a determining factor in point rewards and point loss. Why you ask? The answer lies within the gear ou have on when you face a legendary private. Arena gear makes fighting someone of high level and low experience an easy thing to do. With my 744 health I just cut down an ice wizard with 3300 health points from second position, this shows that my level was not as important as my rank (high rank proving high experience) . My intention is not to suggest a reversal but bringing the point system somewhere in between what it is now and what it used to be.

You forget that this is a game for all ages. A successful family MMO can not grow with the attitude you have expressed. One must create a balance between keeping experienced players happy and making it fun for new players starting out. The current point setup will turn alot of these people away from pvp. A simple rebalancing could advert this.