Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Two VERY upset customers (Playing quality)

2
AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 03, 2008
174
Personally, i've never had any problems or gripes with this game except for great spyre being a forced group instance (won't be very fun when future worlds are released :(). As far as fizzle rates go, it's all luck based and, whether you accept it or not, luck plays a big factor in this game. As for having all cards readily available instead of having to draw, I see this creating lots of griping in the arena because high levels would have an even bigger advantage in lower levels than they already do ( imagine them having 7-10 tritons/helephants/judgments/etc ready to launch at you since they wouldn't have to wait to draw them.) In fact, I like that our spells don't always work, because it brings more excitement and balance to the game. After all, one thing about luck is that it is ALWAYS FAIR!!!!

Explorer
Feb 11, 2009
86
all i have done is explain the game mechanics and how they are by design not by error. Ok, I took one jab but it was more of a counter jab. I also attemped to explain the percentages on the card which there appears to be a rather large misunderstanding about and confusion in the difference between a chance of success and a rate of success. Oddly enough the OP has only responded to the negative posts.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2008
37
ok everyone is entitled to there opinions, and you do expect more when you pay to play
that being said allow me to set one thing straight
odds dont work like you think
if a lotto card is a 1 in 6 of winning , thats PER CARD not overall, I can buy 25 cards and still lose
70% accurracy PER CAST not out of 10 you hit 7 , that would be more like 98% chance
you dont have to beleive me , please ask any math major

Survivor
Jun 28, 2008
37
ok suggestions of things you can currently do yourself to use the system in place
get the biggest deck you can find , load as many of your fav spells as possible....in battle dont be afraid to discard, think three turns ahead and discard 4 cards if you need, only boss battles last long enuff to worry about runing out of cards
slow down , pack more sheilds last longer then the fizzles dont hurt as much
you can choose your level range in the arena
there is a spell called reshuffle if your have limited space
alternately:when you build your deck only max copy the best spells limit off spells to 1 or 2 to increase the odds of the spell you need

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
716
Ooooh FEISTY! :P

Ok. Lets go over this shall we? Why the fizzle rate? It has been said, more than several fizzle threads around the forums, take the time to look them up, they are informative and fun to read.

Card based wizard duels? Well, lets think. True, in cartoons, anime, comics, books, movies, wizards dont use cards to cast their little spells. They simply use their magic powers and make it happen. I am familiar with that concept, and I understand what you are saying with that.

However, there is more than one way to skin a cat. (Did I say that right? Check please!) Wizard101 simply decided to use cards. End of story. You may ask Wizard101 directly if you like, as to why they decided to use that method of spell casting.

So, cheer up a bit, stop being so defensive. (Oh, and try to sound a bit friendlier in the process.)



Survivor
Mar 29, 2009
3
kordach wrote:
I think you may have misinterpreted the percentages on the cards as well. The card has a 70% chance of work, each time, not it works 70% of the time. You have to look at the card as an individual item. Its ability to work is not dependent on past or future results but the odds that were given to that card that it will work at that time in space.

A quarter has a 50% chance of coming up heads, but if you flip a coin 100 times you wont get 50 heads and 50 tails. the percentage of success is not trend based. Unfortunately that cannot be tracked without access to the game code because it is a one time event. Consider role playing games and their funny dice. there is a set of dice to roll for percentages. w101 works much the same way. lets take a storm card, 70% chance of success. If your computer "rolls the dice" to see if it works, the result of the roll can be from 1 to 70.


I agree with what you are saying and in you answer lies exactly what i was getting at. Yes in order to get the "true" answer to my test you would have to cast the same exact card ten times not the same spell but different cards. But are we to agree that the same spell cards are to act the same exact way? As Far as "chance of success" and "success rate" go I did not see anywhere where it states which one is applied here. I also think that if it is a "chance of success" that it still means that you should come up with a 70% chance of succeeding, or very close, or else it's not 70%. take your coin test for example, if you did that test I bet you would come up with 50% or very close to it. and the higher number time you flip it the closer to 50% you will get. Also if you want to do the dice test then you numbers are wrong there as well. You would need to roll a 100 sided die and any number from 1 to 70 would be a success and 71 to 100 a fail, hence 70% chance to succeed.

I was just trying to point out the fact that I don't believe the success ratio is accurate to what the cards read.

To respond to Slontoppy's post:

I'll make this simple. Go talk to a math major and ask them the difference between "odds" and "percentages" please, because you cleary don't understand. No matter how you word it 7 out of ten is 70%

Here's the equation: 10 X .7 = 7
The .7 or 0.70 is your 70%

This is elementary school math

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
11
The problem is that it is elementary math. If you flip a coin you have a 50% chance of getting heads.

The problem people run into is the fact that if you flip that same coin again, you have 50% chance of getting heads. People tend to think that if you flip the coin again, there is a better chance of getting the opposite of what you got last time. Even if you get 500 heads in a row, you still have a 50% chance of the next throw being heads.

Now if you throw that coin an infinte number of times, statistically speaking you should average out close to getting 50% heads and 50% tails, but chaos dictates that you wouldn't get exactly 50%.

Your example of casting a 70% chance spell 10 times is statistically insignificant as your set is too small. You would have to significantly increase the number of times you cast before you would be able to judge whether the 70% is accurate or not.

Survivor
May 07, 2009
3
ephran wrote:

Your example of casting a 70% chance spell 10 times is statistically insignificant as your set is too small. You would have to significantly increase the number of times you cast before you would be able to judge whether the 70% is accurate or not.


Oww we have a smart one here, well tell me which parameter defines the percentage of fizzles? Cause you say 10 is not enough you want lets say
1000 times before judging the percentage, but I say the actual statistic
number has to be judged. This means when I use a Card the first time ever and this card hits, I do have 100% success, if it then misses I do have 50% success. Both sides are correct as the calculation of the percentage remains
the same, just with another way. Now how does the game calculates it?

I give you an answer, I'm almost sure that the fizzle percentage is calculated in an excel sheet which says Card Nr 1 = 70% chance to hit.

Thats it, this means it has 70% chance to hit but this doesnt mean that it does hit 70% for you or for me, as no time period is given.


This also explains why Life Wizards can fail 4x a row with Cards, with 92%
whilst Storm Wizards can spam 70% Cards 5x a row without any fuzzle.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
40
so what your saying is you want to be really god like? have fun with that little person :P

Survivor
May 16, 2009
5
MikeJohnson1337 wrote:
overreact a little more please.

+1

As a long time gamer, and someone who understands statistics and, um, basic math, the claims of losing 8 battles in a row due to fizzles is absurd. Fizzle is based on percentages, and I haven't seen one less than 70% yet. That means, that 7 out of 10 times, you're going to hit. If you lost 8 times in a row, maybe you should look at your strategy and/or determine if you're trying something too difficult for your character. Just because you got a quest doesn't mean you're ready for it yet.

If you're looking for a game where you stand no chance of ever losing, maybe you should play something else. This game is incredibly well balanced, and my four year-old handles his defeats with more poise and grace than has been displayed here.

Kudos to KI!

Explorer
Nov 26, 2008
60
aegis41 wrote:
MikeJohnson1337 wrote:
overreact a little more please.

+1

As a long time gamer, and someone who understands statistics and, um, basic math, the claims of losing 8 battles in a row due to fizzles is absurd. Fizzle is based on percentages, and I haven't seen one less than 70% yet. That means, that 7 out of 10 times, you're going to hit. If you lost 8 times in a row, maybe you should look at your strategy and/or determine if you're trying something too difficult for your character. Just because you got a quest doesn't mean you're ready for it yet.

If you're looking for a game where you stand no chance of ever losing, maybe you should play something else. This game is incredibly well balanced, and my four year-old handles his defeats with more poise and grace than has been displayed here.

Kudos to KI!

well there is one spell that is under 70% accuracy and thats wildbolt ( 20% accuracy 1000 damage 2 pips, storm only ) but really it depends mostly on chance and remember the spells are 70% that is still pretty high, higher than 50% for sure. Take me for example i can cast a bunch of storm and it rarely misses but my ice spells ( 80% accurate ) tend to miss more. What basicly happens is a case of bad luck, even life spells fizzle, it adds difficulty to the game.

Explorer
May 19, 2009
51
My problem is this for past week my game play has been so laggy and choppy that i cannot even move my character anymore. it just chop chop Freeze then im in a fight.whenever i go places it tells me that it was Unable to find your zone? ok i paid Over 15$ in the past month to try this game out.i liked and it played it all the way to marleybone. Now no matter where i go what i do i just cant move without it freezing only to catch up to me only to be involved in another fight i was trying to avoid to finish quest.it has taken me one week to from 32 to 33 because of the lag and me having to ask friends to port to where i need to be because i cant get there.id like an aswer to this. it is not a Computer problem. as this is my specs.

2ghz Mem
AMD Athlon™ 4000+
360GB HD

and only 13 programs running in the background.
even tried this on a friends computer same avail.even when switching to another server in the game i still get it.im about to give up.

and by the way me going into battle at 33 with lvl 45-50 is just wrong!

Suri WillowLeaf
Magus Pyromancer!

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
39
I sort of think you're overreacting a bit. As someone who has played about a dozen games in the past year, I can say that this is one of the better ones programming wise. Bad programming isn't you not getting the card you want right when you want it or the PvP system not being good enough at the present moment. If anything, it's something to consider fixing, not throw a fit over. Bad programming would be a faulty wall monsters come through at random that's been that way for over a year and totally ignored despite probably hundreds of nub deaths. Bad programming is adding in snow for a background effect at Christmas and getting everyone killed because it glitches their skills. Bad programming is a patch that makes it impossible for Clerics to heal anyone in their party properly whose name is too long. -_-

I can understand your frustration, I'm not trying to discredit you or belittle you, I'm just saying that I've seen far worse and you should realize how lucky you are and try to remain patient. Programmers who work on these games can work hours and hours straight and still not be able to get something running. I've heard of one group working for 14 hours and having to apologize because they couldn't finish it right away . And a lot of the time, when you comment or ask for help, you get ignored or trampled on. KI seems to be really good about this and as someone who is a parent, I personally believe you should set a better example for your kids rather than teaching them how to be a "sore loser" and removing a source of fun and entertainment from them because you're angry that your husband lost a PvP battle. PvP isn't necessary, you could very easily voice your complaints and then avoid it until it's fixed as it probably should be. If not, there's really no need to be so upset. You should know that you can't just snap your fingers and have everything change so practically stamping your feet and DEMANDING that this be changed IMMEDIATELY is rather childish and unrealistic, you don't just change a game overnight and the world does not revolve around one or even three people, I'm sorry. And if this will cost KI 3 accounts, I'm positive they won't stay up all night crying, believe me, more people are undoubtedly registering at this very moment who don't consider PvP a must to the extent that they'd get this mad and leave. Another lesson that'd be wise to teach your children would be humility. The programmers and designers and what have you working on this game are people, too, and they seem to care which I think calls for some kindness in return.

As for your deck situation, I've found that discarding a card or two that you don't want or need helps bring up others. If I have a little spell, weak but 100%, in my deck and I'm going for a big gun, I discard it. Or if I have a Trap and don't need one any longer, I discard it as well and it usually helps bring up what I need. Another thing you could learn to do is plan ahead. I've found that there is a certain pattern to these battles and so I know not to wait until the last second when I only have 100 health left and no Pixie. I try to make sure one of those cards is in my deck at all times or that I'm set up for victory before death. And really, you should never expect to win every battle you enter and I think that's where the fizzles and card appearance thing comes in. Who would want to play a game that's so easy you could beat it in your sleep?

And as for fizzle rates, I think they're fine. I wouldn't expect my big spells to cast perfectly every time so one or two fizzles, while frustrating, is just a reality that makes this game more challenging than beating up a plastic dummy blindfolded and with your hands tied behind your back.

2