Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

things i've learned about pvp~

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
1) playing ice does not require strategy.

you stand there, spam some shields, and maybe heal occasionally (this is assuming your opponent ever gets through your shields. and before you say "use armour pierce or shatter", one is a waste of pips and neither can counter immunity.

2) ranking up is the wizard version of being unable to find work because you can't get experience because you can't find work because you can't get experience...

how am i ever supposed to get past sergeant, if my only opponents are warlords 10 levels higher with uber gear and pet, and have such a huge advantage straight outta the gate? how am i supposed to get the gear if i can't rank up? how am i supposed to compete with said warlords if i can't get the gear? it's all a vicious cycle that repeats itself like an infinite loop.

3) being a private is the only way i will ever be paired with someone of my own level/rank.

once i hit corporal, i fight nothing but warlords. but being a private still doesn't guarantee i'll face one~ i've been fighting captains and commanders all night.

ki's matching system is totally random, like drawing names from a hat.

4) money buys rank.

yep. the only way to rank up is to spend actual money on the game~ start at level 5 and buy some crowns gear. rank up easily, get uber pvp gear, become a warlord by level 10 and never pvp again... instant level 90 warlord, minus any actual effort on your part.

maybe i should give up and come back to pvp when the system is fair.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
dr. von's pvp experiment, part 2:
"if you can't join them, join them anyway... then beat them"

-i created a new wizard on my secondary account and got her to level 5.

-i transferred some crowns from my main account and bought her some overpowered gear (nothing extreme, no mastery amulets or anything like that~ just the level 5 crowns gear with tons of resist).

(worth noting: i did not get her an uber pet yet)

-i built her deck like so: 3 pixie, 1 stun block, 3 death trap;
-sideboard has 3 poison, a seraph, and a tower shield;
-item cards are one each of thunder snake, blood bat, scarab, imp, frost beetle, fire cat, dark sprite, ghoul, lightning bats, hex, and tower shield.

then off to the arena we went, and came home 3 for 3~
future level 90 warlord, with absolutely zero effort on my part!

i'd call this a day (and money) well-spent.

-dr. mrs. von.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Sorry, but there is no way your sergeant wizard is playing warlords 10 levels higher than you. Maybe you meant to say he's playing warlords 10 levels lower than you.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
It is NOT true that money buys rank. I didn't spend any money on my level 30 balance. Who currently has 1,600 PvP rank and about 3200 Tourney rank, well I spent crowns on that I guess. But I didn't do tourneys till after I my gear and a winning strategy. I have to agree with Malt, you can't fight people 10 levels higher than you who are Warlords unless you waited for about 30 minutes. Also, since when does playing Ice not require a strategy? My Ice wizard was a First Age Warlord but I didn't bother committing to ranking back up. I lost my touch in 1v1 so I can't now. People say fires and storms can't beat us. LIES. They can. Also some people like to PvP to just keep on having fun. So some people stay at the level we ranked up at (I did).

Sorry Von, have to disagree
Wolf Skullslinger and Wolf Legend

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Malt22 on Sep 18, 2013 wrote:
Sorry, but there is no way your sergeant wizard is playing warlords 10 levels higher than you. Maybe you meant to say he's playing warlords 10 levels lower than you.
No, it's worded as it happened: my level 23 private (at the time) got paired with a level 60 warlord~ I lasted exactly 2 rounds, and that was only because the other guy fizzled. No adept wizard can block critical.

I have also fought low-level warlords in elite gear. But hey, if I can't beat them legitimately/with in-game stuff, then I'm not above circumventing the system with money power.

-v.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Dr Von on Sep 19, 2013 wrote:
No, it's worded as it happened: my level 23 private (at the time) got paired with a level 60 warlord~ I lasted exactly 2 rounds, and that was only because the other guy fizzled. No adept wizard can block critical.

I have also fought low-level warlords in elite gear. But hey, if I can't beat them legitimately/with in-game stuff, then I'm not above circumventing the system with money power.

-v.
Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but there really is absolutely no way your level 23 private got matched with a level 60 warlord.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Malt22 on Sep 20, 2013 wrote:
Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but there really is absolutely no way your level 23 private got matched with a level 60 warlord.
It only happened once, waaaay back at the very beginning of the second age, and I think he and I were equally confused. To this day, I figure it must have been a glitch~ yes, the system's broken, but not THAT broken.

I usually just get level 5-10 noobs in the elite gear, or magus/master privates in horrible gear and with no concept of strategy. So that legendary warlord thing must have been a one-off.

Explorer
Dec 02, 2010
The main thing I've learned about PVP is that since the system's been very broken for so long, and after it calls itself "fixed" even though much, if not all, of the same problems are still there, having a PVP rank higher than Sergeant doesn't really mean anything. For too long has the system been broken, allowing tons of people to take advantage of it and gain ranks they don't truly deserve. Heck, I have a friend who did that for a long while.

For those of you who PVP fairly then what I said is NOT directed at you, of course. But to those that fall in the "OTHER" category...