Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The unfairness of Wizard101 PvP cost my vote

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
I would have voted for Wizard101 for the game of the year contest, but never as I can not recommend a game to anyone where the PvP element is totally unfair and heavily stacked to one side. The side that goes first in PvP has all the advantages, while the team that goes last are at a severe disadvantage due to not knowing what the first side is going to cast upon them or the effects that will be upon them while the team that goes first knows their attacks won't be further affected and that they won't be losing pips from dispels and won't be hitting their own team with beguiles. I won't play ranked PvP because I would not play a game of say Monopoly with a banker who has trouble seperating the bank's money from their own, and due to the unfairness of PvP I will not cast Wizard101 my vote, or even recommend to others to play it. If PvP were made fair, then I would play it, I would be comfortable in recommending the game to others, and I'd even cast a vote to the game of the year contests. It does not matter much to me if I get a free lightening bat or not, I view that as bribery for my vote and am actually ashamed that Wizard101 isn't above bribing people for votes.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
2899
Perhaps the game would be better off without you, what with your flat out accusing the Wizard101 staff of bribery.

Survivor
Aug 04, 2010
13
i understand what you are saying, and i must admit that the team who goes first does have quite an advantage. but keep in mind that there is not much anyone can do about it. i suppose they could make it so that the turns switch, but that wouldnt be much fair, as people could bend that to there advantage.

i do think that wizard101 is bribing people to cast there vote. but if it werent for that, i wouldnt have noticed the voting thing. i also know that the pet would not be worth much, as everyone would have one. hey, wizard101 is still a great game, and so won my vote.

back to the pvp, ya the team has quite an advantage, but there isnt much that they could do about it, and if you still think that something should be done, reccomend it! i would definately be interested in what you say!

try to make a change!
Kelly, lvl 23 LIFE

Survivor
Jul 08, 2010
4
seasnake wrote:
I would have voted for Wizard101 for the game of the year contest, but never as I can not recommend a game to anyone where the PvP element is totally unfair and heavily stacked to one side. The side that goes first in PvP has all the advantages, while the team that goes last are at a severe disadvantage due to not knowing what the first side is going to cast upon them or the effects that will be upon them while the team that goes first knows their attacks won't be further affected and that they won't be losing pips from dispels and won't be hitting their own team with beguiles. I won't play ranked PvP because I would not play a game of say Monopoly with a banker who has trouble seperating the bank's money from their own, and due to the unfairness of PvP I will not cast Wizard101 my vote, or even recommend to others to play it. If PvP were made fair, then I would play it, I would be comfortable in recommending the game to others, and I'd even cast a vote to the game of the year contests. It does not matter much to me if I get a free lightening bat or not, I view that as bribery for my vote and am actually ashamed that Wizard101 isn't above bribing people for votes.


To be honest no PVP is balanced. With a card based PVP it's just luck of a draw. Not knowing what your opponent is going to do is the whole point of a PVP duel. If you knew exactly what your opponents was going to do then it's not even worth calling it a PVP duel. Trust me I've been playing MMO's for a very long time and they all have been massive PVP servers and not once can i say that one side is balanced more than the other.
To be honest if you know your opponents weaknesses well exploit them and use them to your advantage. It's all about strategy. A lot of the PVP servers that i used to play in you could not even level up in because a lot of people would just come along and kill you. An when you duel someone it was solely based on how well you knew your characters class.
A way to really help you get the advantages is to study each class and also study your opponents and see what type of spells they use and also study their weaknesses, trust me there are always weaknesses in each class and once you find them you will be use to beat them.

Defender
May 30, 2009
157
bishop3995 wrote:
seasnake wrote:
I would have voted for Wizard101 for the game of the year contest, but never as I can not recommend a game to anyone where the PvP element is totally unfair and heavily stacked to one side. The side that goes first in PvP has all the advantages, while the team that goes last are at a severe disadvantage due to not knowing what the first side is going to cast upon them or the effects that will be upon them while the team that goes first knows their attacks won't be further affected and that they won't be losing pips from dispels and won't be hitting their own team with beguiles. I won't play ranked PvP because I would not play a game of say Monopoly with a banker who has trouble seperating the bank's money from their own, and due to the unfairness of PvP I will not cast Wizard101 my vote, or even recommend to others to play it. If PvP were made fair, then I would play it, I would be comfortable in recommending the game to others, and I'd even cast a vote to the game of the year contests. It does not matter much to me if I get a free lightening bat or not, I view that as bribery for my vote and am actually ashamed that Wizard101 isn't above bribing people for votes.


To be honest no PVP is balanced. With a card based PVP it's just luck of a draw. Not knowing what your opponent is going to do is the whole point of a PVP duel. If you knew exactly what your opponents was going to do then it's not even worth calling it a PVP duel. Trust me I've been playing MMO's for a very long time and they all have been massive PVP servers and not once can i say that one side is balanced more than the other.
To be honest if you know your opponents weaknesses well exploit them and use them to your advantage. It's all about strategy. A lot of the PVP servers that i used to play in you could not even level up in because a lot of people would just come along and kill you. An when you duel someone it was solely based on how well you knew your characters class.
A way to really help you get the advantages is to study each class and also study your opponents and see what type of spells they use and also study their weaknesses, trust me there are always weaknesses in each class and once you find them you will be use to beat them.


Very well said! I have been trying to make this point all over these message boards. Just because you go second or you are "insert school" or because you are a lower rank, doesn't mean that you can't win the match. Anticipating your opponents moves and actually knowing your own school helps out greatly in PvP. Strategy is key and unless you learn how play your own school to your advantage and find the weakness of the other schools, you will always find something to complain about in this area.

As far as the so called "bribing" pertaining to the contest, I wouldn't go so far as to call it that. When they hit 10 million wizards, we were given a gift. Same goes for their second birthday (remember the transformations which I'm sure you used), getting X amount of fans on Facebook and many other different times. This gift is for celebrating a win. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you don't feel like you can recommend this game to others, why exactly are you still playing? You are all over this place with "I want to change this" or "you need to add this" but obviously from this post you aren't very happy with the game in general. Maybe it's time for you to move on? This is a wonderful online game that I try to tell ALL my friends about. My family and I have enjoyed countless hours here in the spiral together and I can honestly say that there is no other game we can play together and have this much fun. PvP is only ONE area of this game, not the entire thing. Wizard101 should not be judged on this one area alone.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
Araylia wrote:
i understand what you are saying, and i must admit that the team who goes first does have quite an advantage. but keep in mind that there is not much anyone can do about it. i suppose they could make it so that the turns switch, but that wouldnt be much fair, as people could bend that to there advantage.

i do think that wizard101 is bribing people to cast there vote. but if it werent for that, i wouldnt have noticed the voting thing. i also know that the pet would not be worth much, as everyone would have one. hey, wizard101 is still a great game, and so won my vote.

back to the pvp, ya the team has quite an advantage, but there isnt much that they could do about it, and if you still think that something should be done, reccomend it! i would definately be interested in what you say!

try to make a change!
Kelly, lvl 23 LIFE


already wrote out ways to fix it so pvp plays fair in the pvp section, it wouldn't be that hard to accomplish... but when it comes to best games of the year and the like any MMORPH had better have a PvP element and that PvP element had best be pretty fun and pretty fair to be considered a top contender in the online scene... the unfairness of going first over going last really did cost Wizard101 my vote. Their bribe made me think that they were really greedy, give everyone what would amount to a worthless pet in exchange for winning a contest that could well net them millions of dollars, I don't really care if other games also resort to bribery for votes but you aren't winning mine that way and I am ashamed of the entire pay to play politics that occurs in the world.

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
125
Bribe? This is an overstatement if I ever heard one.

Have you ever listened to politicians when they are begging for your vote?

"If I'm elected, I will lower your taxes"

I don't see any difference here, except that the politicians usually lie (sorry if there are any of you reading this!)
This type of stuff has been going on for a VERY long time, and is not considered bribery.

This is not bribery, its just KI's way of saying thank you.
I see nothing wrong with that, in fact, I think its quite nice that they would do this.

Personally, with all the things wrong with this game that the original poster has seen, I don't understand why he is still here.

Rogan Firehammer


Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
Rogtim wrote:
Bribe? This is an overstatement if I ever heard one.

Have you ever listened to politicians when they are begging for your vote?

"If I'm elected, I will lower your taxes"

I don't see any difference here, except that the politicians usually lie (sorry if there are any of you reading this!)
This type of stuff has been going on for a VERY long time, and is not considered bribery.

This is not bribery, its just KI's way of saying thank you.
I see nothing wrong with that, in fact, I think its quite nice that they would do this.

Personally, with all the things wrong with this game that the original poster has seen, I don't understand why he is still here.

Rogan Firehammer



They promise a gift only if they win and then expect everyone to vote for them in anticipation of getting that gift. You can look up bribe in the dictionary and I'm pretty sure that this will meet the definition. If they were going to give us the gift whether or not they won, then it would not be a bribe.

Historian
May 02, 2009
698
If you dislike ranked pvp so much then just dont do it. Your not forced to play ranked pvp, its not a requirement to continue on in the game. And besides, there's a other things in wizard101 that you could be doing also like hatching/training/racing pets, role-play, etc. other than complaining so much about pvp even though it's an OPTIONAL area to play in.

On another note, i've noticed allot of your posts revolve around complaints you have on pvp. If you hate pvp so much then by all means, dont do it, but you dont need to complain about every little thing. Like others have said, if you refuse to think of decent strategies and/or figure out your/your opponents strengths/weaknesses, then you'll just continue to lose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I DO get where your going at, as I'm a former adept fire veteran. Yes, I've up's and downs and faced bolters/lorders, chain stunners and the like, and yes, it's incredibly annoying. But I dont come on here and complain about it like you do (no offense).

Again, if your having trouble with pvp, then take a break from it and try something else. Wizard101 doesn't revolve solely on pvp, and there's more than one way to have fun with games, believe me.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, but I strongly believe that this is getting out of hand, and am trying to help put an end to it.

Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
9
well, isee your point but what if they gave you nothing if they win instead?

want that?

in fact, everyone will hate you if you just ruin everything!

poor you

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
261
seasnake wrote:
I would have voted for Wizard101 for the game of the year contest, but never as I can not recommend a game to anyone where the PvP element is totally unfair and heavily stacked to one side. The side that goes first in PvP has all the advantages, while the team that goes last are at a severe disadvantage due to not knowing what the first side is going to cast upon them or the effects that will be upon them while the team that goes first knows their attacks won't be further affected and that they won't be losing pips from dispels and won't be hitting their own team with beguiles. I won't play ranked PvP because I would not play a game of say Monopoly with a banker who has trouble seperating the bank's money from their own, and due to the unfairness of PvP I will not cast Wizard101 my vote, or even recommend to others to play it. If PvP were made fair, then I would play it, I would be comfortable in recommending the game to others, and I'd even cast a vote to the game of the year contests. It does not matter much to me if I get a free lightening bat or not, I view that as bribery for my vote and am actually ashamed that Wizard101 isn't above bribing people for votes.


seasnake,

As I have become active in the boards, I have come to appreciate your posts as both knowledge and more importantly, accurate. I have not needed to take issue or even disagree with any of your messages. Now I find myself in agreement with you once again. I thoroughly dislike the pvp system and so I simply do not participate in it. I have not complained because I could think of no fair way to fix the problem and loathe ranting for the sake of letting off steam. I will, however, let you do it for me.

As for the bribery charge, I find Wizard101 guilty, but have little ire for it. People would not vote if they didn’t have something to gain from it. If they could get the reward regardless of the outcome, most wouldn’t vote. As it is, a lowly pet isn’t much of a reward anyway. I appreciate you standing up for your principles, but I can not muster the effort to bother.

Devin Darksong – Grandmaster Necromancer – lvl 50 Death
Digby Darksong – Grandmaster Theurgist – lvl 50 Life
Duncan Darksong – Grandmaster Sorcerer – lvl 50 Balance
Dylan Darksong – Grandmaster Diviner – lvl 50 Storm
Dustan Darksong – Grandmaster Conjurer – lvl 50 Myth
Dolan Darksong – Master Thaumaturge - 50 Ice



Squire
Dec 21, 2008
563
Beguile works when I use on Emily Spiritriver. Once it even worked on a grandmaster death wizard before it's even been 1 whole round yet. Okay, I got a little off-topic there, I would reccommend Wizard101 to other people, but tell them, "If you don't like _____________________, then don't PvP, but I guess you can with your friends,"

Caroline Sunbright Level 50 Life
Brittany Rainriver Level 43 Storm
Emily Spiritriver Level 34 Death
Nicole Jadesword Level 23 Balance
Laura Iceheart Level 22 Ice

Survivor
Apr 06, 2010
6
colagada wrote:
Perhaps the game would be better off without you, what with your flat out accusing the Wizard101 staff of bribery.


i believe there need to be something done about chain stunning i have played 4v4 3 times in a row and there is 3 myth and a storm and all they do is stunn and quake and the stun again and the fourth round they do a quake then a lord and the match is over can you alll do something about it please

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
gabriald wrote:
colagada wrote:
Perhaps the game would be better off without you, what with your flat out accusing the Wizard101 staff of bribery.


i believe there need to be something done about chain stunning i have played 4v4 3 times in a row and there is 3 myth and a storm and all they do is stunn and quake and the stun again and the fourth round they do a quake then a lord and the match is over can you alll do something about it please


earthquake should not rid stun shields, that is the entire problem being encountered here

Defender
Dec 21, 2008
187
gabriald wrote:
colagada wrote:
Perhaps the game would be better off without you, what with your flat out accusing the Wizard101 staff of bribery.


i believe there need to be something done about chain stunning i have played 4v4 3 times in a row and there is 3 myth and a storm and all they do is stunn and quake and the stun again and the fourth round they do a quake then a lord and the match is over can you alll do something about it please

I think I faced that same team. I no longer like to chain. I faced this chain team and all but one had gear. Most of them had the name of Alia. They would stun when they all had pip to quake. Then the first myth would quake and then would stun again then. Then second myth quake and third one stun. Then they keep doing it. Yes now, I do agree that the stun spells that stun all should not have the stun shield removed my earthquake. I do enjoy doing it but I dont enjoy it anymore.

Luke ThunderShade lvl 50 myth overlord
Ryan Legendblade lvl 50 storm overlord
Lucas SunFlame lvl 50 fire warlord
Lucas IceFlame lvl 50 ice warlord
Luke Rain lvl 50 balance overlord
Ryan Storm lvl 50 death commander
Ryan Life Flame lvl 50 life commander

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
589
colagada wrote:
Perhaps the game would be better off without you, what with your flat out accusing the Wizard101 staff of bribery.


I agree. Seasnake if you dont think wizard101 is fair then DON'T PLAY!
Quit we don't care. That will make all the complains go away. STOP COMPLAINING OR QUIT!

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
589
akifoniq99 wrote:
gabriald wrote:
colagada wrote:
Perhaps the game would be better off without you, what with your flat out accusing the Wizard101 staff of bribery.


i believe there need to be something done about chain stunning i have played 4v4 3 times in a row and there is 3 myth and a storm and all they do is stunn and quake and the stun again and the fourth round they do a quake then a lord and the match is over can you alll do something about it please

I think I faced that same team. I no longer like to chain. I faced this chain team and all but one had gear. Most of them had the name of Alia. They would stun when they all had pip to quake. Then the first myth would quake and then would stun again then. Then second myth quake and third one stun. Then they keep doing it. Yes now, I do agree that the stun spells that stun all should not have the stun shield removed my earthquake. I do enjoy doing it but I dont enjoy it anymore.

Luke ThunderShade lvl 50 myth overlord
Ryan Legendblade lvl 50 storm overlord
Lucas SunFlame lvl 50 fire warlord
Lucas IceFlame lvl 50 ice warlord
Luke Rain lvl 50 balance overlord
Ryan Storm lvl 50 death commander
Ryan Life Flame lvl 50 life commander


First of all, there's no such thing called overlord. Second you can't have 7 wizards. Ok back on topic. I agree with you.

Defender
Jul 13, 2009
152
Ok seriously? First of all pvp is not unfair, who gets to go first is totally random , and if that dousnt mean anything to you think about it this way, the players who go second can learn about the opponent first, like you fighting a fire wizard , and your wondering if they do damage over time spells or not (I kno its a bad example but still) and they get to go first, well the first few rounds they do fire elves a lot, well then you can use that to your advantage. Or you see a death wizard, and your wondering what their second school is, over the next couple rounds (where they go first) you see they also use storm. Second pvp is ONE part of the game, if you don't like it don't play it. You don't hav to say wiz 101 is bad (which in my oppinion it isn't, I love wiz 101!!!!!) because u don't like pvp. Third itisnt bribery, its like a thank you gift, so enjoy it. Last Stop Complaining!

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
403
cameron225 wrote:
Ok seriously? First of all pvp is not unfair, who gets to go first is totally random , and if that dousnt mean anything to you think about it this way, the players who go second can learn about the opponent first, like you fighting a fire wizard , and your wondering if they do damage over time spells or not (I kno its a bad example but still) and they get to go first, well the first few rounds they do fire elves a lot, well then you can use that to your advantage. Or you see a death wizard, and your wondering what their second school is, over the next couple rounds (where they go first) you see they also use storm. Second pvp is ONE part of the game, if you don't like it don't play it. You don't hav to say wiz 101 is bad (which in my oppinion it isn't, I love wiz 101!!!!!) because u don't like pvp. Third itisnt bribery, its like a thank you gift, so enjoy it. Last Stop Complaining!


Totally agree

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
403
seasnake wrote:
Araylia wrote:
i understand what you are saying, and i must admit that the team who goes first does have quite an advantage. but keep in mind that there is not much anyone can do about it. i suppose they could make it so that the turns switch, but that wouldnt be much fair, as people could bend that to there advantage.

i do think that wizard101 is bribing people to cast there vote. but if it werent for that, i wouldnt have noticed the voting thing. i also know that the pet would not be worth much, as everyone would have one. hey, wizard101 is still a great game, and so won my vote.

back to the pvp, ya the team has quite an advantage, but there isnt much that they could do about it, and if you still think that something should be done, reccomend it! i would definately be interested in what you say!

try to make a change!
Kelly, lvl 23 LIFE


already wrote out ways to fix it so pvp plays fair in the pvp section, it wouldn't be that hard to accomplish... but when it comes to best games of the year and the like any MMORPH had better have a PvP element and that PvP element had best be pretty fun and pretty fair to be considered a top contender in the online scene... the unfairness of going first over going last really did cost Wizard101 my vote. Their bribe made me think that they were really greedy, give everyone what would amount to a worthless pet in exchange for winning a contest that could well net them millions of dollars, I don't really care if other games also resort to bribery for votes but you aren't winning mine that way and I am ashamed of the entire pay to play politics that occurs in the world.


of course it gonna win them more money!!!!! Just like any other business KI goal is to make money and entertain. BUT, i'm still voting for them WHY???? Cuase its a great game and if you dont think so DONT PLAY!!!!!!!!

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
You do realize that's a terrible argument? Why would someone need to go second to realize that a Pyromancer uses DOT spells? Uh, thank you Captain Obvious! Why would someone in PvP care about a player's second school? They're kinda busy being attacked! Face it, going second stinks. Either way, you can't really complain about it since someone has to go second. By the way seasnake, if there wasn't a prize for voting for Wizard101 as Game of the Year, I'm pretty sure people wouldn't have voted due sheer laziness.

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
164
i cant wait to build up my life wizards block hehe.
mabe i will be able to surviv a good match like say 4v1 .
sad face i actually just came out of a 4v1 match .
it was actually 2v2 but they both had a minion and i didnt have one. and my team mate abandoned me. i still did pretty good hehe they had to use reshuffle shows how good i am as a main school life. off schools ice/balance/death now if i could build block on top of my already powerfull build i whould be pretty good in pvp. not that im not already good but you get what im saying lol.