Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

the "strategy" of not speaking during pvp?!?

1
AuthorMessage
Historian
May 01, 2010
665
sry if this topic has came up before but i have wondered lately

why people never talk in pvp (well at least mostly)

in my eyes it is really rude, yes i know if you do talk they can pull up your stats in a second, but, what do you have to hide, a good wizard can tell almost everything about you from the pets you have, your health, etc. etc.

and then there is the problem with sore losers reporting the winner, yes they can easily do that, but, if you never did anything wrong, then you have nothing to lose.

if you speak they can see your stats and what you are wearing yes, but even though they can see your stats, you reflect and learn how to cover your weaknesses.

finally i would say not speaking in pvp is a "noob strategy" like the spamming gargantuaned lightning bats.

so if you agree or disagree post and say your opinion and why, i want to see every angle i can on this, not just mine

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
960
slammer111 wrote:
sry if this topic has came up before but i have wondered lately

why people never talk in pvp (well at least mostly)

in my eyes it is really rude, yes i know if you do talk they can pull up your stats in a second, but, what do you have to hide, a good wizard can tell almost everything about you from the pets you have, your health, etc. etc.

and then there is the problem with sore losers reporting the winner, yes they can easily do that, but, if you never did anything wrong, then you have nothing to lose.

if you speak they can see your stats and what you are wearing yes, but even though they can see your stats, you reflect and learn how to cover your weaknesses.

finally i would say not speaking in pvp is a "noob strategy" like the spamming gargantuaned lightning bats.

so if you agree or disagree post and say your opinion and why, i want to see every angle i can on this, not just mine


Slammer111,

I have three things to reply on this topic,

1. It may not matter at the lower levels if you talk or not, but it does matter at the upper levels. Allowing someone to see what amulet, etc that you have, what your resistance is, can give them a real advantage. Just like a card player never shows his hand, you don't want to show you weakness at you level up.

2. You may be a very nice person, but that is not the way everyone is in PvP. Some people get out of control, and really get rude and sometimes nasty.
Yes, I have had some nasty comments made to me, and after a while you just get tired of it. I have talked and got reported because I won. So, it's not just the point of being nice or not, there are real reason why people are turning off their chat or just won't talk.

3. Last, sometimes I just dont' feel like talking, or am doing other things at the same time I am pvping. I look up, make by choice after I look at the health, and go back to doing, etc. People are all different, some like to chat, other don't, but does that mean their rude? I don't like to chat in PvP, but I don't mind afterwards. I don't think anyone should be offended if I don't feel like talking in PvP.

Joseph LionHunter.

Defender
Apr 30, 2010
114
I can certainly find enough reasons for not talking in pvp, one of them being I don't want to respond to the jeers and snide remarks some of the wizards make and it does matter if they can pull up your stats right away. At first glance, I look like a death wizard or maybe an ice so if I can not use blades right away they'll think that I am one of those schools and shield using those shields, truth is I'm a fire. Sure after they know what school I am I'll talk but most of the time I just keep quiet through the whole thing. I've learned that if you get into a conversation with someone you can lose your focus, they can lose their focus and you might get into a word fight. I really can't stand sore losers, winners or warlords in pvp and so I find it best to keep my hands off the keyboard.

BTW: I don't like it that you called not talking a 'noob strategy' I don't talk, I am a legendary and I don't consider it to be a strategy not to talk, there are times when people just dont feel like talking, so why is it wrong for me not to talk?

Historian
May 01, 2010
665
ok thx lion359, when i was posting this those were the things "out of my angle" yes it isnt all that rude now that you bring up those details.

to your reply #1. yea i know it doesnt matter at lower lvls, but, at higher lvls it could matter, if they see your amulet, they dont know your strategy still (lets bring back that card simile) if you one card from your hand they can see what else you have in it. but still, i get that they can get an advantage. kinda wish that KI would take away the arrow in pvp

to your reply #2. who cares if you get reported for winning? what i mean is if you didnt do anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

to rely #3. great point, never really took that into account....

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
173
It's been a long while since I PVP'd.

One because I have run into some hardcore players that are just WAY to serious and cut throat for their title. It wasn't fun at all and mean things were said sometimes.

But as I was trying to get pointers and "training" from some friends before, someone told me not to speak because I will reveal my stats. So going into any PVP matches, I didn't say anything. But if someone said hello, then I would respond likewise. I figure if they are willing to "reveal" their stats then I would too. And it would seem rude not to say hi back. If they didn't say anything, I didn't either. Some chatted after, some didn't. I took no offense to it.

So I may have 2 legendaries now, but I still consider myself to be mediocre at PvP - especially solo. And if I enter a match now, I'll either get paired with a lower level with less PvP experience like me, or another legendary who is cut throat. Neither seems satisfying.

I prefer the laid back practice pvp atmosphere where people will chat and friendly smack talk - more fun. And I have met a few good friends through it.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
I completely agree about not talking in pvp, its just not fun when no one talks and they say gg and leave. Imo I would rather have the person calling me names and reporting me because I find that funny rather then boring.

Maybe in a pvp battle, you can't look at someones stats! The button is just shaded out.

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
227
Well, not talking in pvp makes it so the other people cant see your stats or school, and for those people who like to stitch.... Thats a disadvantage. Say you are fighting a life. You are wearing black and white but are a fire. Your pet is a fierce hound or sea dragon. The life will start spamming death shields and you just save up for a big attack. I know that blades and traps ruin it but if you use the sun spell... Anyway thats one reason. Another is how others mentioned they will see your resist and deck, amulet, ring, athame, stats of pet. Some pets give good cards and are not very easy to tell apart. (aka all of the dragons)

Historian
May 01, 2010
665
spiritshadow- as i said, " a good wizard can tell almost anything from health pets etc etc" i mean, this is what i can see when i look someone over...
health 3021- life or death 3300's balance/ life 3600 do i have to say it? 2200's, storm 2700, fire/ myth
pet sea horse with spiritly- they have most likely the crafted ring and athame, whatch out for heals
spells- gives me an idea of what they're school is, and stiched items, its fairly bad to make assumptions based on what they look like, sometimes theyre right sometimes wrong, though it does make it slight easier to figure the school ring athame yada yada yada.
and the pet thing triggers back into a good (mostly dedicated) wizard

redwolff-this is mostly based on opinion, why i called it a "noob strategy" (but only when its used as a strategy) is everyone uses it to get strategic leverage(if you know what i mean). ever see someone like spam GARGANTUANED lightning bats or other rank 2 spells?? it cheap its easy, and if used right, they could do 600 for 2 pips! and really only legendaries can use it cause the gargantuan spell was fixed for lvl 58 and up

so what i am trying to say, is if used to get a strategic leverage, then not speaking during pvp is a "noob strategy"

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
89
slammer111 wrote:
sry if this topic has came up before but i have wondered lately

why people never talk in pvp (well at least mostly)

in my eyes it is really rude, yes i know if you do talk they can pull up your stats in a second, but, what do you have to hide, a good wizard can tell almost everything about you from the pets you have, your health, etc. etc.

finally i would say not speaking in pvp is a "noob strategy" like the spamming gargantuaned lightning bats.

so if you agree or disagree post and say your opinion and why, i want to see every angle i can on this, not just mine


First off, I do not speak in pvp hardly at all anymore and it is not a "noob" strategy, or even a pvp strategy at all really. I used to speak all the time until I was matched up with a truely rude person once who did not like the fact that I used my minions and won the match, ( I am myth btw), this person now had my name in their chat log and hounded, harrassed me for hours after that match by sending me rude text messages over and over and over! I could not ignore them because I only had their name in my chat log and when you click on the name it will not bring up the menu where you can actually ignore them. So I was stuck with the harassing text messages for hours that night! (I guess the person was a true loser, lol, with nothing better to do than send me text messages) anyway thats my take on it and why I will not talk during pvp anymore.

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
342
I think they need to add something called "Team Chat" or something.
Like where you change from general chat to group chat, you could change it to team chat. It would look like general chat, but only your pvp team could see it. This would come in huge handy, as some people don't like joining groups for pvp.
-Taryn

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
227
slammer111 wrote:
spiritshadow- as i said, " a good wizard can tell almost anything from health pets etc etc" i mean, this is what i can see when i look someone over...
health 3021- life or death 3300's balance/ life 3600 do i have to say it? 2200's, storm 2700, fire/ myth
pet sea horse with spiritly- they have most likely the crafted ring and athame, whatch out for heals
spells- gives me an idea of what they're school is, and stiched items, its fairly bad to make assumptions based on what they look like, sometimes theyre right sometimes wrong, though it does make it slight easier to figure the school ring athame yada yada yada.
and the pet thing triggers back into a good (mostly dedicated) wizard


Ok well, i was talking more non rnk pvp with an open all lvl pvp. For instance my storm wizard dresses in myth stuff (i just like how it looks, a lot better than cl stuff) (i also have resist stuff) - say i was using my resist stuff. It beings my health down to about 2011 (or so) If you are fighting a lvl 35 or so wizard what do you think they will think? I am a storm grand or a myth lvl 35ish?

On another note...
What is a pet sea horse? Do you mean to say sea dragon?? People also have second schools so if i just used myth shields and stunned due to my pendant and maybe an orthrus with only white pips cause my chance is bad then would you think i am myth?

Anyway I see your point too :D

Historian
May 01, 2010
665
sunsword44 wrote:
I think they need to add something called "Team Chat" or something.
Like where you change from general chat to group chat, you could change it to team chat. It would look like general chat, but only your pvp team could see it. This would come in huge handy, as some people don't like joining groups for pvp.
-Taryn


i remember greyrose said something like this...

if you click the block enemy pvp chat, then not only you cant see your enemie's chat, in 2v2 or more? you can speak with your teammate, without group or text chatting,and the enemy cant see it either, thats only from my memory, which is notorious for not remembering everything of something XD, so it may be a little off

and then spiritshadow- i also see your point, but in prectice pvp this is definitly not a problem (or is it even a problem in ranked lol) and yes i did mean sea dragon (you got what i meant so in my terms it is ok)

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
342
slammer111 wrote:
sunsword44 wrote:
I think they need to add something called "Team Chat" or something.
Like where you change from general chat to group chat, you could change it to team chat. It would look like general chat, but only your pvp team could see it. This would come in huge handy, as some people don't like joining groups for pvp.
-Taryn


i remember greyrose said something like this...

if you click the block enemy pvp chat, then not only you cant see your enemie's chat, in 2v2 or more? you can speak with your teammate, without group or text chatting,and the enemy cant see it either, thats only from my memory, which is notorious for not remembering everything of something XD, so it may be a little off

and then spiritshadow- i also see your point, but in prectice pvp this is definitly not a problem (or is it even a problem in ranked lol) and yes i did mean sea dragon (you got what i meant so in my terms it is ok)


Unless they are also blocking chat, I'm pretty sure they can see it... Idk though, but it would be nice.

Historian
May 01, 2010
665
sunsword44 wrote:
slammer111 wrote:
sunsword44 wrote:
I think they need to add something called "Team Chat" or something.
Like where you change from general chat to group chat, you could change it to team chat. It would look like general chat, but only your pvp team could see it. This would come in huge handy, as some people don't like joining groups for pvp.
-Taryn


i remember greyrose said something like this...

if you click the block enemy pvp chat, then not only you cant see your enemie's chat, in 2v2 or more? you can speak with your teammate, without group or text chatting,and the enemy cant see it either, thats only from my memory, which is notorious for not remembering everything of something XD, so it may be a little off

and then spiritshadow- i also see your point, but in prectice pvp this is definitly not a problem (or is it even a problem in ranked lol) and yes i did mean sea dragon (you got what i meant so in my terms it is ok)


Unless they are also blocking chat, I'm pretty sure they can see it... Idk though, but it would be nice.


hey, i found this post by greyrose

"I just wanted to remind our players that you have the ability to block messages from your Player vs Player Opponents.

Under Options is the option to hide your opponent's Chat in Player vs Player combat. If you have this option enabled, during a PvP duel:
Anything you type cannot be seen by your opponents, but can be seen by your teammates and spectators.

Anything your opponents type you can’t see, but can be seen by their teammates and spectators.

All Menu Chat can be seen by everyone.

You can change this setting at any time, including during a PvP duel, but it will not take affect until the next turn."

(lol it was on the first page of pvp forums at the top)

Defender
Oct 09, 2010
160
slammer111 wrote:
sry if this topic has came up before but i have wondered lately

why people never talk in pvp (well at least mostly)

in my eyes it is really rude, yes i know if you do talk they can pull up your stats in a second, but, what do you have to hide, a good wizard can tell almost everything about you from the pets you have, your health, etc. etc.

and then there is the problem with sore losers reporting the winner, yes they can easily do that, but, if you never did anything wrong, then you have nothing to lose.

if you speak they can see your stats and what you are wearing yes, but even though they can see your stats, you reflect and learn how to cover your weaknesses.

finally i would say not speaking in pvp is a "noob strategy" like the spamming gargantuaned lightning bats.

so if you agree or disagree post and say your opinion and why, i want to see every angle i can on this, not just mine


First off, millions of wizards out there (like me) are shy. Talking is pretty optional in a few people's eyes. But I'm pretty sure many people pull up the stat-thing in PVP, but the blades,traps, and etc. that you cast USUALLY give out the information.

Second, sometimes people get creative and try to "disguise" their school for a while. I don't get it - some people color their clothes a different color and other buy Transformations from the crown shop. (I think i've done the transform thing, but that was a LONG time ago,) I think THAT is a "noob strategy". (No offense to anyone)

Third, I don't think it's a noob strategy. Like i said, many people are shy. And besides, like some other people say, not talking might prevent you from hearing "the worst" from other people ...

So i don't think it's too much of a problem.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2010
2


I personally think talking in pvp is a bad idea, because, you give away your strategy right away to the other team. So, in conclusion, don't chat in pvp, especially in ranked matches, unless you are thanking someone or saying hello etc.!

Historian
May 01, 2010
665
mforseth wrote:


I personally think talking in pvp is a bad idea, because, you give away your strategy right away to the other team. So, in conclusion, don't chat in pvp, especially in ranked matches, unless you are thanking someone or saying hello etc.!


ok 2 things, one, you are contradicting yourself if you shouldn't chat, then why would you say hello? or thank you?

and two, how can you give away your strategy, they have no clue what cards are in your hand, what you are planning, and if your whole strategy is based around your amulet or something, thats the only real exception, but they dont have telepathy (even if the did they could only see a bunch of pixels)

and @ wizzgal,
you said yourself (indirectly) that not speaking during pvp is a noob strategy, you say that using transformations, coloring is a noob strategy, they gain a strategic leverage in a noobish way, same for not speaking, i said

"so what i am trying to say, is if used to get a strategic leverage, then not speaking during pvp is a "noob strategy"

sry, but i have yet to seen a shy person on this game and also, if someone is talking to you that much this is what you do, you log out, you do another activity for 10 or so minutes, you log back in, if you dont reply, you dont give them satisfaction, then they WILL eventually quit.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
563
Well people can easily see people's school by the battle orders section of menu chat. So it's not just keeping quiet.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
slammer111 wrote:
mforseth wrote:


I personally think talking in pvp is a bad idea, because, you give away your strategy right away to the other team. So, in conclusion, don't chat in pvp, especially in ranked matches, unless you are thanking someone or saying hello etc.!


ok 2 things, one, you are contradicting yourself if you shouldn't chat, then why would you say hello? or thank you?

and two, how can you give away your strategy, they have no clue what cards are in your hand, what you are planning, and if your whole strategy is based around your amulet or something, thats the only real exception, but they dont have telepathy (even if the did they could only see a bunch of pixels)



I think mforseth ment if people said ,"use stormlord." Or planning out what you are going to do out loud. mforseth, we are talking about any kind of talking in pvp where if you said hello, then they look at your stats.

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
296
Forgive my ignorance, but what does it matter if they can see your stats and decks and things? It's not like they have the opportunity to change theirs to fight yours. And once you cast a major spell that is school-only, they are going to know what school you belong to, not to mention, certain amulets have certain spells, so it's really just a question of narrowing it down, but like I said, what good does knowing do, when you can't do much with the knowledge?

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
255
Solstice64 wrote:
I completely agree about not talking in pvp, its just not fun when no one talks and they say gg and leave. Imo I would rather have the person calling me names and reporting me because I find that funny rather then boring.

Maybe in a pvp battle, you can't look at someones stats! The button is just shaded out.


I agree with the button idea and about people just saying gg and leaving. Most of the time when they say gg and leave its not that good of a game and they are just saying it.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
2
There are many people that report at the end of a match if they lose, but there are also people that will report during the match just so you can't pick cards. One match a friend and me were in( and we said nothing wrong) we were both reported in excess of 3 times and always during card picking. And while you are right that nothing happened to my account because all the reports were false, my friend and me did lose the match due to the number of turns we were unable to pick cards.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
429
There is an advantage to looking at someones gear and stats. It can help you determine what to discard or try to prepare for a spell you see they have in their gear. While I personally am more then happy to greet a fellow wizard in a match, if they say nothing I will say nothing either. True that bit of information more often then not is inconsequential, but there are times when advanced knowledge of say oh that judgement in his gear might be the tipping point. There are many different strategys in PvP some you may like, others not so much. The fact is you will have to do your best to deal with them all in order to survive.
Why do I have to wear red because I have a pyromancer? I cant tell you how many matches someone has cast death shields because I like the color black. That's one turn wasted on a spell that is useless, how is that not a boon for me? Guess I'll stay a noob!

Historian
May 01, 2010
665
noahmunch wrote:
There is an advantage to looking at someones gear and stats. It can help you determine what to discard or try to prepare for a spell you see they have in their gear. While I personally am more then happy to greet a fellow wizard in a match, if they say nothing I will say nothing either. True that bit of information more often then not is inconsequential, but there are times when advanced knowledge of say oh that judgement in his gear might be the tipping point. There are many different strategys in PvP some you may like, others not so much. The fact is you will have to do your best to deal with them all in order to survive.
Why do I have to wear red because I have a pyromancer? I cant tell you how many matches someone has cast death shields because I like the color black. That's one turn wasted on a spell that is useless, how is that not a boon for me? Guess I'll stay a noob!


i think you may have misunderstood what i meant. for the people doing that trying to get a strategic advantage (not ust cause they like the color) that would be considered the noob strategy, but i am not calling your case a noob strategy, but the oppoment who does that, they need to learn "dont judge a book by its cover"

Adherent
May 20, 2010
2902
slammer111 wrote:
sry if this topic has came up before but i have wondered lately

why people never talk in pvp (well at least mostly)

in my eyes it is really rude, yes i know if you do talk they can pull up your stats in a second, but, what do you have to hide, a good wizard can tell almost everything about you from the pets you have, your health, etc. etc.

and then there is the problem with sore losers reporting the winner, yes they can easily do that, but, if you never did anything wrong, then you have nothing to lose.

if you speak they can see your stats and what you are wearing yes, but even though they can see your stats, you reflect and learn how to cover your weaknesses.

finally i would say not speaking in pvp is a "noob strategy" like the spamming gargantuaned lightning bats.

so if you agree or disagree post and say your opinion and why, i want to see every angle i can on this, not just mine


Talking is an option, not a requirement. It's not rude to refuse to speak.

Yes, false reporting is rude. There's not much you can do about it. It's KingsIsle's call on whether to punish the person doing the false reporting.

I don't see how not speaking to be a "noob strategy". It makes perfect sense to me. There's no sense in giving the opponents information that they aren't entitled to.

1