Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Guardian Spirit Problem

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
This post isn't necessarily asking for a nerf to the Guardian Spirit spell, but more so asking for a rebalance with the inconsistency on how spell interacts with the first turn advantage.

Ever since Reshuffle was changed so that cards no longer duplicate, Guardian Spirit has become a large problem since you can carry as many Guardian Spirits as you can carry attacks (attacks can no longer outnumber Guardian Spirit once multiplied like they used to) and it's been much more difficult to deal with players that constantly revive themselves. While not so much of a problem from first, going second to a player that does so is a completely different story, and here's the main reason.

Say the player going second in a match is the player using Guardian Spirit. After the player is taken out, his turn will be skipped (no spell will be used since he lost all his health before he got to cast his spell) and at the end of the turn Guardian Spirit will revive the player. The following turn, the player going first will be able to react immediately before the newly revived player can use a spell, making getting revived by Guardian Spirit fairly easy to deal with, and technically allowing the player going first to cast 2 spells in a row.

Now let's say that the player with Guardian Spirit is going first. Once revived, the player that just got revived will be able to immediately heal up again or shield because they are revived at the end of the turn, and the player going second can do nothing once the revived player gets their health back (can't Infection, cast Doom and Gloom, blade, attack again, until the revived player gets a defense up).

This provides a very odd advantage for the player using Guardian Spirit, as they can essentially get their health all the way back to full (or close to full) before the player going second can do anything about it, which makes constantly reviving with Guardian Spirit a huge problem in very long match lengths in today's meta.

My suggested change to Guardian Spirit would be to balance it with the current turn system. If reviving health from second, the spell will function the same way it does currently. However, if being revived from first, the player that got revived with Guardian Spirit should be auto-passed (should miss the turn after they got revived) and it should proceed to allow the player going second to cast a spell (reducing the ridiculous advantage the player going first has). With this change (hopefully to PvP only, just like the extra pip to the player going second), Guardian Spirit will still be a potent defense against OHKO strategies, and will be a check to players who use their pips too aggressively (the player going second will have to retain a high amount of pips to take advantage of the defenseless revived player).

Does anybody agree with this change? If not, then why?

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
PvP King on May 2, 2017 wrote:
This post isn't necessarily asking for a nerf to the Guardian Spirit spell, but more so asking for a rebalance with the inconsistency on how spell interacts with the first turn advantage.

Ever since Reshuffle was changed so that cards no longer duplicate, Guardian Spirit has become a large problem since you can carry as many Guardian Spirits as you can carry attacks (attacks can no longer outnumber Guardian Spirit once multiplied like they used to) and it's been much more difficult to deal with players that constantly revive themselves. While not so much of a problem from first, going second to a player that does so is a completely different story, and here's the main reason.

Say the player going second in a match is the player using Guardian Spirit. After the player is taken out, his turn will be skipped (no spell will be used since he lost all his health before he got to cast his spell) and at the end of the turn Guardian Spirit will revive the player. The following turn, the player going first will be able to react immediately before the newly revived player can use a spell, making getting revived by Guardian Spirit fairly easy to deal with, and technically allowing the player going first to cast 2 spells in a row.

Now let's say that the player with Guardian Spirit is going first. Once revived, the player that just got revived will be able to immediately heal up again or shield because they are revived at the end of the turn, and the player going second can do nothing once the revived player gets their health back (can't Infection, cast Doom and Gloom, blade, attack again, until the revived player gets a defense up).

This provides a very odd advantage for the player using Guardian Spirit, as they can essentially get their health all the way back to full (or close to full) before the player going second can do anything about it, which makes constantly reviving with Guardian Spirit a huge problem in very long match lengths in today's meta.

My suggested change to Guardian Spirit would be to balance it with the current turn system. If reviving health from second, the spell will function the same way it does currently. However, if being revived from first, the player that got revived with Guardian Spirit should be auto-passed (should miss the turn after they got revived) and it should proceed to allow the player going second to cast a spell (reducing the ridiculous advantage the player going first has). With this change (hopefully to PvP only, just like the extra pip to the player going second), Guardian Spirit will still be a potent defense against OHKO strategies, and will be a check to players who use their pips too aggressively (the player going second will have to retain a high amount of pips to take advantage of the defenseless revived player).

Does anybody agree with this change? If not, then why?
This is actually really nice.

I don't use the Angel Strategy with my life wizard anymore, but if I have the opportunity to spare some pips on guardian spirit, I will. It's the simple changes that can create a balance. Your concept equally affects both the life wizard AND their opponent, which is so nice to see after the hoards of bias opinions around changes to guardian spirit.

Nice thinking!

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Genevieve HexPyre 100+ PvP Warlord

(Currently questing through Khrysalis)

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Except, you should be using doom and gloom before you kill so they do not revive with as much health. The revived player does not have enough pips to worry about. When facing someone with GS you always have to have a plan for the follow up kill, so I do not really see this making any difference but giving poor players (not planning for second kill) some kind of fall back.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Jasmine3429 on May 3, 2017 wrote:
Except, you should be using doom and gloom before you kill so they do not revive with as much health. The revived player does not have enough pips to worry about. When facing someone with GS you always have to have a plan for the follow up kill, so I do not really see this making any difference but giving poor players (not planning for second kill) some kind of fall back.
Doom and Gloom takes ridiculous amounts of prediction (and luck) from second to use it right. The wizard using Guardian Spirit can change the bubble the turn before you kill and then Guardian Spirit revives them a really high amount. My idea will suggest better counter play from second since you have little to no bubble control in that position.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
Jasmine3429 on May 3, 2017 wrote:
Doesn't help in team PvP. You can have Doom and Gloom up but say someone on the other side's team casts Sanctuary, and at the end of the turn, the GS activates under Sanctuary. However it works, I think GS should not activate at the end of the turn, but maybe on the next turn (in turn order).