Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The 1 thing KI needs to fix and fix quickly

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 15, 2008
I have come upon an interesting phenomenon within the world of Wizard101, I am sure we have all come upon it at some point and we shrug it off as a accepted part of the game. But I refuse, to accept this angering and disheartening flaw of this otherwise superb game. This flaw I speak of is of course, the 1st turn advantage. I am sure that anyone who PvP's at least a little have been introduced to this flaw. The fact that going 1st gives multiple agvantages, such as the ability to dispel large spell and chain attacks without giving an opponent time to heal, seriously disrupts what is otherwise an enjoyable experience. I could understand these advantages if going second was not seen only in a negative light. Don't believe me? Try to think of one, just one, advantage to going second. Give Up? The simple fact is that there aren't any advantages. I will leave this alone and adress another issue, what has KI done to fix this? Nothing, absolutely nothing!! How is it, that adding new "card packs" or bettering the sound quality is more important than fixing a serious problem with this game? It really is disheartening... Now don't get me wrong, KI has done an incredible job with this game and I enjoy this game more than anyother i have played, but why must we be tormented by this obvious flaw? Please KI, we beg you, at least TRY and fix this, just a try... Thank you :-D

Otherwise, you do an excellent job

Armiger
May 10, 2010
While I completely agree with you, Professor Falmea asked a while back for suggestions to fix PvP.

I think they might be working on it, but who knows how long it will take.

There are always ways around everything though, it is always possible to win, even if going 2nd, but I do agree, you are at a disadvantage.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Heian,

This is an issue that has been brought up again and again, by so many.
There is no question that the design of "going first" gives a tremendous advantage. Not just in 3v3 and 4v4, but also in 1v1 and 2v2.
I expect that KI has to be working on this or at least have plans of changing it, as other issue are resolved.
A change to this degree in the code will take a lot of work, a considerable amount of test time, which will include Beta, Alpha, etc.

So, keep heart, I expect something has to be in the works on this issue..... just based on the number of complaints and how KI has responded in the past.

Fred (Death Wizard)
(Joe's Dad, on Joe's account).

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Heian wrote:
I could understand these advantages if going second was not seen only in a negative light. Don't believe me? Try to think of one, just one, advantage to going second

Ok!

Me and my opponent both put up a bubble, I'm going second, My bubble, being cast after my opponent takes control of the field. Therefore I win control.

My opponent casts weakness on the same turn I use a wand spell. Weakness gets washed away.

My opponent uses a dispel on my, but I only put up a blade, dispel gets washed away

My opponent casts an attack all spell the same turn I summon a minion. My minion is missed, I keep the minion, opponent loses attack all spell.

So far that's four examples of the good part of going second. You said come up with one.

And if you would like others, I'm sure I can come up some more.

Yes, I know these would require luck, but it would have been slightly the same even if I was going first, in regards to the luck that is.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
CorbinW wrote:
Heian wrote:
I could understand these advantages if going second was not seen only in a negative light. Don't believe me? Try to think of one, just one, advantage to going second

Ok!

Me and my opponent both put up a bubble, I'm going second, My bubble, being cast after my opponent takes control of the field. Therefore I win control.

Okay, but then person with 1st turn puts up a bubble again and wins control again! However, I will concede this, as it may be the only advantage.

My opponent casts weakness on the same turn I use a wand spell. Weakness gets washed away.

And then he puts another weakness on you and you attack, that would nullify your wand rebuke!

My opponent uses a dispel on my, but I only put up a blade, dispel gets washed away

Or you actually casted a spell and you lose all your pips, while if you casted dispel, person with first turn will always see it and be able to not lose those valuable pips, player 2 is always in the dark as to what player 1 will do.

My opponent casts an attack all spell the same turn I summon a minion. My minion is missed, I keep the minion, opponent loses attack all spell.

Yes, that is indeed possible, but who is to say, that they will not attack your minion again the very next round costing you said minion before you can shield him, where as, player 1 can cast a minion and then have time to shield said minion!

So far that's four examples of the good part of going second. You said come up with one.

Actually, I will give you one example, but then again, this is just my opinion.

And if you would like others, I'm sure I can come up some more.

More would be good, but please make them viable and not complete luck or easily countered.

Yes, I know these would require luck, but it would have been slightly the same even if I was going first, in regards to the luck that is.

I give you the bubble is probably the best part, but at the same time, if player 1 waits till player 2 casts the bubble, that would still nullify that example. It still shows that going first has many more advantages, but nobody ever said that PvP was completely equal.

Survivor
Dec 15, 2008
First of all, you clearly don't realize how awful your advantages are...

Your second advantage, what if you were using a large attack? If you had gone first, you could get rid of the weakness with a wand instead of doing less damage with a large attack

Your third, what if they use a dispel and they dispel your forest lord or ra or whatever, YOU just lost eight pips, but if you had went first, you could at least choose which spell fizzles

Your fourth, THE SAME THING can be said if you go first, if i go first and i summon a minion, even if the second player casts meteor it still won't hit I:

Your first advantage is decent, but that situation is HIGHLY unlikely to occur as bubbles are not used very much

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
Well, SOMEONE has to go first, and it can't always be the same person, can it? I mean, if they go first, you complain, and if you go first, they complain. How is KI supposed to make both of you happy? You can't both go first.

Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
something like a coin toss or anything would be good, so sick of going second this happens to me 90% of the time I always go second and I'm sick of it. Would be nice to go first once a day but that don't even happen. Even to day 8 matches every one I went second how is this fair at all especially when I'm going against 2 Warlord? and my Quick join partner is a Vet Yet I think it's just KI that has a problem with just me. I don't think anyone always goes second but yet I do. Yes people do have advantages going first, but are they unstoppable No even going second you can win I have Lots of time, and no I'm not Ice I am Fire.

Defender
Mar 27, 2010
Heian wrote:
I have come upon an interesting phenomenon within the world of Wizard101, I am sure we have all come upon it at some point and we shrug it off as a accepted part of the game. But I refuse, to accept this angering and disheartening flaw of this otherwise superb game. This flaw I speak of is of course, the 1st turn advantage. I am sure that anyone who PvP's at least a little have been introduced to this flaw. The fact that going 1st gives multiple agvantages, such as the ability to dispel large spell and chain attacks without giving an opponent time to heal, seriously disrupts what is otherwise an enjoyable experience. I could understand these advantages if going second was not seen only in a negative light. Don't believe me? Try to think of one, just one, advantage to going second. Give Up? The simple fact is that there aren't any advantages. I will leave this alone and adress another issue, what has KI done to fix this? Nothing, absolutely nothing!! How is it, that adding new "card packs" or bettering the sound quality is more important than fixing a serious problem with this game? It really is disheartening... Now don't get me wrong, KI has done an incredible job with this game and I enjoy this game more than anyother i have played, but why must we be tormented by this obvious flaw? Please KI, we beg you, at least TRY and fix this, just a try... Thank you :D

That is so fair, it just means you guy's are to weak for us. "Dispell" is a spell that blocks the oponents move. If your tired of it, then use your rank 0 spell the same scool of the despell. no traps or shards will be broken because it fizzled but the despell is gone, so you earned one pip and you lost you dispell. Being first isn't the problem eather, use shields to block a big attack. I don't care if they use treasure cards, One they will be wasting valuble treasure cards and it wont be as strong if you put shields and weakness. I think the problem is are the people who are complaining. If you think pvp is unfair, then forget it, do your quests.

Hope this stopped the complaining

Hunter WildHorn
Mater pyromancer

Armiger
May 10, 2010
amiramir321 wrote:
Heian wrote:
What Heian said

That is so fair, it just means you guy's are to weak for us. "Dispell" is a spell that blocks the oponents move. If your tired of it, then use your rank 0 spell the same scool of the despell. no traps or shards will be broken because it fizzled but the despell is gone, so you earned one pip and you lost you dispell. Being first isn't the problem eather, use shields to block a big attack. I don't care if they use treasure cards, One they will be wasting valuble treasure cards and it wont be as strong if you put shields and weakness. I think the problem is are the people who are complaining. If you think pvp is unfair, then forget it, do your quests.

Hunter WildHorn
Mater pyromancer

Okay, first off. You are in battle. The other person goes first. You have your blades on, and are ready for the attack. You cast your attack, but the other person goes first. He puts a dispel on you, right when you click attack. You fizzle and lose all your pips. 2 turns go by, you see your opponent is almost ready to attack now, so, you put a dispel on him/her. However, since he/she goes first, they get to see the dispel and use a 0 pip spell to remove the dispel and save their pips. You did not have that option.

The whole point of this post, is not to complain, but get problems fixed. Even if turns were split up, player 1 would go, then player 2 would get the chance to pick a spell and go, then back to player 1. That would level out the playing field.

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
Heian wrote:
I have come upon an interesting phenomenon within the world of Wizard101, I am sure we have all come upon it at some point and we shrug it off as a accepted part of the game. But I refuse, to accept this angering and disheartening flaw of this otherwise superb game. This flaw I speak of is of course, the 1st turn advantage. I am sure that anyone who PvP's at least a little have been introduced to this flaw. The fact that going 1st gives multiple agvantages, such as the ability to dispel large spell and chain attacks without giving an opponent time to heal, seriously disrupts what is otherwise an enjoyable experience. I could understand these advantages if going second was not seen only in a negative light. Don't believe me? Try to think of one, just one, advantage to going second. Give Up? The simple fact is that there aren't any advantages. I will leave this alone and adress another issue, what has KI done to fix this? Nothing, absolutely nothing!! How is it, that adding new "card packs" or bettering the sound quality is more important than fixing a serious problem with this game? It really is disheartening... Now don't get me wrong, KI has done an incredible job with this game and I enjoy this game more than anyother i have played, but why must we be tormented by this obvious flaw? Please KI, we beg you, at least TRY and fix this, just a try... Thank you :D

There is no fix for this. Someone will always have to go first. There are not many games that are turn based where there is someone who isnt going first. While they can't "fix" the combat system they can change the process of who is selected of going first. I have state it many times and even sent them an example I'm hoping they will give it a try. The suggestion is this:

1. The go to arena screen comes up for you to accept or decline.

2. From there there is a split screen with both wizard names and a "spin" is occuring with numbers 1-100 are cycling very fast.

3. Each person has 10 seconds to click the mouse or the computer clicks for them. Clicking stops the cycling on a number.

4. The person with the highest number goes first. If there is a tie it happens again.

The method is like flipping a coin instead of the computer doing this for us. Who goes first is very important due to the fact the person going first will win 75%-80% of the time. So let us have a more vested part of determining who is going first. Something like this would be very easy to incorporate.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
amiramir321 wrote:

Hunter WildHorn
Mater pyromancer

This is post makes you look very ignorant. First off how many spelling errors you have. Second how all of your facts aren't valid. When going second and someone puts a dispel on you the turn you are using an 8 pip spell, you lose 6 pips and you cant change your spell to a trap or a shard (whatever that is.) I didn't understand your part about going first so I wont reply to that, maybe you could clarify that.

What bothers me the most though is how you called the author a complainer when he is really giving feed back to KI. Then you call him weak? How is trying to make pvp more balanced make him weak? If you cant understand this concept, click here.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
To: Hunter Wildhorn,

Heian is not just complaining like so many do, without facts. In this case, it is a fact that if you go first, the odds are in your favor. As you basically have stated, this may not be the case, in the lower or mid levels of PvP. It is however a fact as you get into the Higher levels, no question about it.

In the Lower Levels, I can go second and Win more than 60% of the time. I quickly found, that as I moved up, the percentage dropped to less than 25% of the time.

You may not see this right away, being a Fire Wizard, as they are an excellent Wizard to use to PvP. I have seen more than a few Fire Wizards win against Ice, and other Wizards.

There are other options, that may make PvP even harder to win at (believe it or not). As it is, complaining about the "Going First Advantage" is a legitimate complaint, and not one that needs to be dispelled.

Joseph LionHunter.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Temperest wrote:

There is no fix for this. Someone will always have to go first. There are not many games that are turn based where there is someone who isnt going first. While they can't "fix" the combat system they can change the process of who is selected of going first. I have state it many times and even sent them an example I'm hoping they will give it a try. The suggestion is this:

2. From there there is a split screen with both wizard names and a "spin" is occuring with numbers 1-100 are cycling very fast.

3. Each person has 10 seconds to click the mouse or the computer clicks for them. Clicking stops the cycling on a number.

4. The person with the highest number goes first. If there is a tie it happens again.

The method is like flipping a coin instead of the computer doing this for us. Who goes first is very important due to the fact the person going first will win 75%-80% of the time. So let us have a more vested part of determining who is going first. Something like this would be very easy to incorporate.

Unfortunately, this solution is simply a graphically depiction of what is already happening. This would actually take more time to get into the arena and battle and of course would lead to more complaints in these forums (like the 30 sec timer for going to your house or the pet hatching timer). The game already conducts a "coin toss," you just don't see it. The computer randomly generates who goes first in both PvP and PvE, but most wizards only notice the times they go second. This is very similar to the fizzle arguments that appear often in the forums. A wizard remembers the times he/she fizzles more often than the times they don't, especially if they contribute to a loss. Same concept here with going second. If you go second four times in a row it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth than simply going second once out of the four battles. Remember, for every person going second, there is someone going first!

When the skill is so great between wizards, it comes down to sheer luck (who goes first). Most complaints from this seem to stem from the inability to keep a perfect or winning win/loss record (since luck factors in), not the battle itself. Going second does not mean instant defeat, your strategy has changed dramatically, anticipating any mistakes the first wizard will or can be forced to make. Wizards who go first could suffer from fizzlesticks, thereby granting advantage to the second wizard. There are a lot of variables in battle.

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
kingurz wrote:
Temperest wrote:

Unfortunately, this solution is simply a graphically depiction of what is already happening. This would actually take more time to get into the arena and battle and of course would lead to more complaints in these forums (like the 30 sec timer for going to your house or the pet hatching timer). The game already conducts a "coin toss," you just don't see it. The computer randomly generates who goes first in both PvP and PvE, but most wizards only notice the times they go second. This is very similar to the fizzle arguments that appear often in the forums. A wizard remembers the times he/she fizzles more often than the times they don't, especially if they contribute to a loss. Same concept here with going second. If you go second four times in a row it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth than simply going second once out of the four battles. Remember, for every person going second, there is someone going first!

When the skill is so great between wizards, it comes down to sheer luck (who goes first). Most complaints from this seem to stem from the inability to keep a perfect or winning win/loss record (since luck factors in), not the battle itself. Going second does not mean instant defeat, your strategy has changed dramatically, anticipating any mistakes the first wizard will or can be forced to make. Wizards who go first could suffer from fizzlesticks, thereby granting advantage to the second wizard. There are a lot of variables in battle.

Very true it doesnt stop someone from going second. I guess just for me personally I want to have a hand in the coin toss. (Just for PVP) and Im only talking about an extra 10 seconds unless there is a tie.

The other option would be to jack up everyone's health just for pvp.

Survivor
Jan 17, 2009

I cant see a quick fix for this issue, if they made it like chess where one player made their move, then the second player could react and play their move, games would take 3-4 times as long . It would also make quite a lot of spells obsolete.

The combat changes would have to transfer to the PvE side of the game and slow down the pace of an already pretty slow game. (this isnt a complaint, i love relaxing a playing some pve wizard)

I guess i can just see the problems they have when looking at this issue. Any fix for the first turn issue will have to include a massive overhaul of the combat mechanics of the game.

On a personal note, going second is harder but feels more satisfying when you sneak that win :) As its 50/50 who goes first it evens out eventually over the course of your dueling time. I tend to assume im going second and build a deck around that. Weaknesses, shields etc

Survivor
Dec 15, 2008
Thank you everyone who can see that I truly don't mean to complain, I just wish that KI could see how so many loyal players just want an attempt to fix this... I don't mean to sound ignorant when I say people win by going first, but if you have a decent amount of experience in pvp you can understand where i am coming from. Honestly, this can be an angering situation when an opponent attacks and you can do nothing to combat it. Shield? They can get rid of it and attack the next turn without being able to play another...and believe me I can say i have won games by going first.... I just want KI to try...

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Mackuk2000 wrote:

The combat changes would have to transfer to the PvE side of the game and slow down the pace of an already pretty slow game.

They don't need to be the same. There can be two separate modules: one for PvE and one for PvP. The spells, equipment, rules, etc. can be different for each. I don't know if KingsIsle already has a separate PvP module; if not, it should be implemented. Several other (M)MORPGs do this.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2010
Heian wrote:

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Here are my suggestions. I don't endorse that any are good, bad, workable, or unworkable.

1) Have whoever goes first made random for every round, with the order being hidden until the round actually starts.

2 Have whoever goes first made random for every round but let everybody know who is going first and who is going second.

3) Show which side goes first. Have the side that goes first alternate every round. In other words:

Team A - Team B
Team B - Team A
Team A - Team B
Team B - Team A

This way, the teams know who goes first and when for each round, they know they'll effectively have two consecutive turns, and they can plan accordingly.

4) Show which side goes first and force that side to choose its gags first. When the gags are locked in, they're displayed to the other side, who gets 10 (or 15) seconds to choose their gags. The side that goes first could be random, the same every time, or alternating.

Here's another idea for 2v2 and higher: Have the entire move order randomized, without regard to teams. In other words, the entire team doesn't go first. For example, in a 3v3, the system could decide that B2 goes first, followed by A3, A1, B3, A2, and B1. This would almost have to be done hidden (who goes when doesn't show up until the combat part begins), as doing it any other way would drag things out interminably.

And one more idea: Have all spells cast simultaneously, meaning no charms, wards, etc. cast during that round will trigger during that round. This probably isn't practical.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2010
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/31420.ftl

is my forum post listing possible Fixes to this very problem. Personally i believe the best by far to be: cheapest pip cost spell is cast first. In case of a same pip cost spell by 2 people the game would fall back to the default order of whichever it picked as first. This would allow everyone a chance to put up defenses when they see there own is gone, as well as give both sides the chance to utilize beguile and dispel effectively not just the first turn holder. and would make it so for the most part there is no one with an advantage based on placement.
Even outside of PVP, this would aid things such as being able to buff your teammate who is in front of you by current turn order. As it is now, you are forced to put your buffing mages in the tank position for them to be able to land their buffing spells on their teammate.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2010
Heian wrote:

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
Heian wrote:

Just a question... Who should go firs then? lol Someone has to go first and it certainly wouldnt be fair for one to go first and then the one who goes second then gets an extra turn and goes first, so they get 2 turns in a row? I play pvp a lot and yes sometimes I go first, but most of the time I go second, go figure, and yes you can win from second. I dont know why the other wiz gets to go first more often, it may just seem that way. Truely I dont see it as a problem as someone has to go first, you both cant go at the same time. Maybe all they need is a more advanced program that has more randomness in the choice of who goes first. Maybe a more advanced algorithm. There really is no other fair way to do it except to let the computer choose.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
[There is no fix for this. Someone will always have to go first. There are not many games that are turn based where there is someone who isnt going first. While they can't "fix" the combat system they can change the process of who is selected of going first. I have state it many times and even sent them an example I'm hoping they will give it a try. The suggestion is this:

Ah, hello? the computer is already doing this by randomly choosing the first and second players by a computer code algorithm that has been written into the game. No need to bring other games into the arena, otherwise those will be sources for complainers to complain about. The computer is best, they just need to tweak the code.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
To: Hunter Wildhorn,

Heian is not just complaining like so many do, without facts. In this case, it is a fact that if you go first, the odds are in your favor. As you basically have stated, this may not be the case, in the lower or mid levels of PvP. It is however a fact as you get into the Higher levels, no question about it.

In the Lower Levels, I can go second and Win more than 60% of the time. I quickly found, that as I moved up, the percentage dropped to less than 25% of the time.

You may not see this right away, being a Fire Wizard, as they are an excellent Wizard to use to PvP. I have seen more than a few Fire Wizards win against Ice, and other Wizards.

There are other options, that may make PvP even harder to win at (believe it or not). As it is, complaining about the "Going First Advantage" is a legitimate complaint, and not one that needs to be dispelled.

Joseph LionHunter.

give me a break! It is not a legitimate complaint. Someone has to go first. and for all of you complaining about the issue there are many out there who realize that in probablity the coin can land heads up time after time after time and then finally land tails up after a long stretch with heads up, that is how probability works. The point is that probability states that heads and tails has a 50:50 chance, just like going first does. It does not mean that you will go first and then go second and then go first again the next time, that is not how it works. Most likely those who have issue are only remembering the times that they went second and forgeting about all of the times they went first.