Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Suggestion for a Worrying Trend - PvP Ejection

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
I had made a post on this MB about the topic of insults and bad behavior within the arena, and while replying to a response, I realized I was basically typing out a solution, and that it was best to start a new post instead of it just being a reply. This is the suggestion I have in mind to deal with the issue.

• A questionnaire should be cast where players can submit the current insults and offensive phrases that are in the game.
  • That questionnaire is then evaluated by KI so that the actual insults, compared to what people may write for fun, are implemented into a trigger system.
  • When a player in a PvP match says anything that is on that list, it triggers a pop up on his/her opponent's screen that gives them the liberty to eject the player from the match. Which would then result in an automatic win for the opponent.
  • The ejection would be similar to fleeing, and a five minute ban on PvP would be implemented.
  • Three ejections in 24 hours would result in a week ban from PvP.
  • Continuous ejections would result in an account suspension or an account permanent ban.
The drawbacks?

• As easy as it may seem in words, it won't be a simple task for the developers to implement it into the game.
  • People may say it would dilute PvP and the competitive nature of players.
  • People might argue that an actual ban on the words and phrases submitted would be a better solution.
  • Where the questionnaire would be posted might be an issue - albeit a small one.
  • People might argue blocking enemy chat during PvP is the best solution. (Though there is still the spectators.)
The parameters?

• It would only apply to PvP. Why only PvP? PvE needs moderation too? Well think about it this way, say you pass a guy and he was saying something insulting, do you know if he is saying it to you or he is describing something that is happening to him real life? And say if he does insult you, where would he be ejected to? His dorm? What would be his immediate punishment? Wouldn't reporting be an easier call to make? Sure, a trigger system for PvE would be great, but that would have to have more thought and consideration taken into account, because so many things can go wrong in that scenario.
  • Players would be able to argue their case if they are mistakenly ejected by a system bug or any other phenomenon.
  • All the creative insults would be taken into account. No longer would spacing out letters or typing creative puns get you pass the word ban in the game.
  • The list would be actively updated every few months.
  • Even if spectators use an insult they will still get ejected, and the five minute ban would apply to taking part in matches and watching them.
  • Spectators would not be able to return to the match even if their five minutes is up.
  • Ejections would be recorded similarly to how the crown history is recorded. Parents would be able to see if their children were ejected and how many times.
As for when players insult you after a game and you are by the pedestal in the arena, just report them and port away. Do you agree?

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Glad we can finally start a discussion about this topic on these boards. I think the suggestion is worth looking into and it's worth figuring out a way to execute it well.

It's a messy situation because bad behavior is a cross section of so many game dynamics, but I like how you've addressed them all. If KI doesn't want to monitor the conduct of their customers with the Hall Monitors they hired, they still have a responsibility to do something about bad behavior, especially in PvP. It would be patently absurd to expect the customer base just to fend for themselves in a "family friendly" platform.

If there were an automated tool that could pick out players who were pushing the limits of acceptable behavior, I do have some suggestions:
  • Notifications need to not be distracting. If our complaint is that spectators or opponents are distractions from having fun, the tool to fix the situation needs not to do the same thing. Pop-up shouldn't cover significant part of the screen. Should be discrete, small, off to the side, and efficient. Must be able to click other things while the pop-up is present.
  • Would a pre-boot warning be appropriate, viewable to spectators only? Some people could trigger a phrase by accident. Rather than pop-up and notify the player first, I wonder if it would be better for the spectator to have a chance to revise his/her behavior. Plus, the players might inadvertently be encouraged to think there's a problem simply because they see a pop-up telling them someone is being mean. They might have had no idea otherwise, or might have just let it slide, but then the system would be giving them a message that is basically saying "Hey, you should be offended!" And maybe they should be, but I worry about the cases where they could resolve the situation without being punitive.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
Invitirion on Feb 19, 2015 wrote:
I had made a post on this MB about the topic of insults and bad behavior within the arena, and while replying to a response, I realized I was basically typing out a solution, and that it was best to start a new post instead of it just being a reply. This is the suggestion I have in mind to deal with the issue.

• A questionnaire should be cast where players can submit the current insults and offensive phrases that are in the game.
  • That questionnaire is then evaluated by KI so that the actual insults, compared to what people may write for fun, are implemented into a trigger system.
  • When a player in a PvP match says anything that is on that list, it triggers a pop up on his/her opponent's screen that gives them the liberty to eject the player from the match. Which would then result in an automatic win for the opponent.
  • The ejection would be similar to fleeing, and a five minute ban on PvP would be implemented.
  • Three ejections in 24 hours would result in a week ban from PvP.
  • Continuous ejections would result in an account suspension or an account permanent ban.
The drawbacks?

• As easy as it may seem in words, it won't be a simple task for the developers to implement it into the game.
  • People may say it would dilute PvP and the competitive nature of players.
  • People might argue that an actual ban on the words and phrases submitted would be a better solution.
  • Where the questionnaire would be posted might be an issue - albeit a small one.
  • People might argue blocking enemy chat during PvP is the best solution. (Though there is still the spectators.)
The parameters?

• It would only apply to PvP. Why only PvP? PvE needs moderation too? Well think about it this way, say you pass a guy and he was saying something insulting, do you know if he is saying it to you or he is describing something that is happening to him real life? And say if he does insult you, where would he be ejected to? His dorm? What would be his immediate punishment? Wouldn't reporting be an easier call to make? Sure, a trigger system for PvE would be great, but that would have to have more thought and consideration taken into account, because so many things can go wrong in that scenario.
  • Players would be able to argue their case if they are mistakenly ejected by a system bug or any other phenomenon.
  • All the creative insults would be taken into account. No longer would spacing out letters or typing creative puns get you pass the word ban in the game.
  • The list would be actively updated every few months.
  • Even if spectators use an insult they will still get ejected, and the five minute ban would apply to taking part in matches and watching them.
  • Spectators would not be able to return to the match even if their five minutes is up.
  • Ejections would be recorded similarly to how the crown history is recorded. Parents would be able to see if their children were ejected and how many times.
As for when players insult you after a game and you are by the pedestal in the arena, just report them and port away. Do you agree?
Inside of pvp this would work great

but outside of pvp i don't think that such a good idea because players would think they wont get band and start doing it to get to there dorms faster and if they misspelled a word outside of pvp then they end up getting in trouble for no reason

but great thinking and if they updated every week that be even better that way they can get any new words

i like this idea if it happen i may go back to pvp

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
First off let me say I enjoy reading your threads, and I do agree. The drawbacks you've listed aren't that signifigant to prevent implementation. Only reason something like this hasn't happened, is there is no will to do it.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
Lucas Rain on Feb 19, 2015 wrote:
Glad we can finally start a discussion about this topic on these boards. I think the suggestion is worth looking into and it's worth figuring out a way to execute it well.

It's a messy situation because bad behavior is a cross section of so many game dynamics, but I like how you've addressed them all. If KI doesn't want to monitor the conduct of their customers with the Hall Monitors they hired, they still have a responsibility to do something about bad behavior, especially in PvP. It would be patently absurd to expect the customer base just to fend for themselves in a "family friendly" platform.

If there were an automated tool that could pick out players who were pushing the limits of acceptable behavior, I do have some suggestions:
  • Notifications need to not be distracting. If our complaint is that spectators or opponents are distractions from having fun, the tool to fix the situation needs not to do the same thing. Pop-up shouldn't cover significant part of the screen. Should be discrete, small, off to the side, and efficient. Must be able to click other things while the pop-up is present.
  • Would a pre-boot warning be appropriate, viewable to spectators only? Some people could trigger a phrase by accident. Rather than pop-up and notify the player first, I wonder if it would be better for the spectator to have a chance to revise his/her behavior. Plus, the players might inadvertently be encouraged to think there's a problem simply because they see a pop-up telling them someone is being mean. They might have had no idea otherwise, or might have just let it slide, but then the system would be giving them a message that is basically saying "Hey, you should be offended!" And maybe they should be, but I worry about the cases where they could resolve the situation without being punitive.
Wow, that was very insightful. A very nice analysis.

Yes, I was imagining a very discreet pop up, similar to when you get gifted or when someone asks you to trade TC. It would be on the left or right side, and in the usual pop up circular icon. When pressed, a box would open and would ask you whether you wish to eject <wizard's name>.

As for your point about the system telling you that you should be offended, I really had to think about that. It was a very good point. The pop up may make players too self aware. They may, like you said, end up thinking that they need to eject the player. And more than likely, they will, because if the opponent is ejected it means an automatic win. However, what about the other side of that issue? What about the current scenario? Where players bring thier friends and bully another player into quitting PvP. Isn't that still an ejection? And it turns out to be a permanent ejection since they never come back to the arena. But that doesn't mean the trigger system should start another social problem. So, logically, on paper, the best way to work around it is - a warning system, in which the player is warned once before the actually ejection occurs. This would effeciently stop any exploitation of the trigger system and it won't make players feel that they need to eject - since the pop up would only appear if the player ignores the warning. But if one would flip the coin? What would happen when players adapt? They would exploit that one message warning to say as many insults as they can just to throw off the opponent. Sure, its normally the constant insults that cause discomfort, but a concentrated insult can just be as damaging. So as contraversial as it may be, I think there shoudn't be a warning. None. This would teach players to respect each other within the arena where not even one insult is tolerated. I understand your point, mistakes can happen, especially if you are in private chat and it turns out that it appears in public chat. But this is a family game, and there should be no room for mistakes. I know my stance is a little harsh but if mistakes are made, that are due to the game, like I stated above, there would be a way to get back your points in rank or a way to take off the ejection from the ejection history. I whole heartedly believe in options, I think everyone should have a choice, but there shouldn't be a choice in how many times you can hurt someone. A player can revise his behaviour after the punishment is made, and to be honest, I think it would have a better result. Even if they try to bully someone outside of the game, the arena would be a beacon of peace, where people would know they can't be targeted. I think a safe haven in the arena would serve as a way to bring back players to PvP. Who doesn't want a place where they know they can't be bullied?

Also, players can refuse to press the pop-up, so technically, that should balance out the issue. Even if the intimidating pop up is present.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
sliver moon wolf on Feb 19, 2015 wrote:
Inside of pvp this would work great

but outside of pvp i don't think that such a good idea because players would think they wont get band and start doing it to get to there dorms faster and if they misspelled a word outside of pvp then they end up getting in trouble for no reason

but great thinking and if they updated every week that be even better that way they can get any new words

i like this idea if it happen i may go back to pvp
Yes, it can cause quite a bit of trouble if implemented outside of PvP. And every week is also a good suggestion, but you have to take into consideration that the developers have other things to do, like building new worlds and coming up with great ideas. It may be a little challenging for them to keep updating the words every week. I really do hope the attitude in PvP change so that you can return to PvP. It is never a pleasent feeling knowing players are held back from PvP due to issues like insults and disrespect.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
Mr Talon on Feb 20, 2015 wrote:
First off let me say I enjoy reading your threads, and I do agree. The drawbacks you've listed aren't that signifigant to prevent implementation. Only reason something like this hasn't happened, is there is no will to do it.
I am very humbled by your appreciation and praise. Since my threads generally tend to focus on issues people stay away from, it is very refreshing to know someone actually enjoys them.

A part of me agrees with you, but I would like to give KI the benefit of the doubt and hope they do realise that there is a serious issue regarding bullying within the game - especially within the arena. But if they do realise, and don't have the will to tackle the issue, I would be very disappointed. After seeing this game grow into what it is today what a shame it would be that it is no longer nurtured. KI should at least spare some attention to these issues that might potentionally cripple the game. But like I said, I have full faith in KI and I give them the benefit of the doubt. So I'm sure they might tackle this in their own way.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Invitirion on Feb 21, 2015 wrote:
I am very humbled by your appreciation and praise. Since my threads generally tend to focus on issues people stay away from, it is very refreshing to know someone actually enjoys them.

A part of me agrees with you, but I would like to give KI the benefit of the doubt and hope they do realise that there is a serious issue regarding bullying within the game - especially within the arena. But if they do realise, and don't have the will to tackle the issue, I would be very disappointed. After seeing this game grow into what it is today what a shame it would be that it is no longer nurtured. KI should at least spare some attention to these issues that might potentionally cripple the game. But like I said, I have full faith in KI and I give them the benefit of the doubt. So I'm sure they might tackle this in their own way.
I too share your hope. I do not however, share your faith.

Defender
Jan 02, 2011
There's an easy solution - just keep chat during pvp turned off.

Rather than focusing the insult issue on just pvp, how about expanding it to the entire game. it would be very nice to be able to really get across to KI that some of the things players say are mean and hurtful.

noob, for one, is a nasty insult that KI completely ignores. There are lots of others and they're being said all over the game not just in pvp.

So if we're going to have a questionnaire, let's make it game wide.

But for PVP, just turn chat off. then you can't hear what's being said.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
tanda1 on Feb 28, 2015 wrote:
There's an easy solution - just keep chat during pvp turned off.

Rather than focusing the insult issue on just pvp, how about expanding it to the entire game. it would be very nice to be able to really get across to KI that some of the things players say are mean and hurtful.

noob, for one, is a nasty insult that KI completely ignores. There are lots of others and they're being said all over the game not just in pvp.

So if we're going to have a questionnaire, let's make it game wide.

But for PVP, just turn chat off. then you can't hear what's being said.
Yes, I did state above that people may think that keeping enemy chat turned off may be an easier solution. However, what if your partner or a spectator insults you? Would turning off enemy chat still help? I understand that it should be for the full game, I wholeheartedly agree. But expanding the suggestion to the whole game will have tons of problems. Though, I guess I can think about how to expand it.

• Instead of being ejected out of the arena. The person would be teleported to the headmaster's office. They would then see a pop up saying they have been sent to the office due to them breaking the rules. Then Headmaster Ambrose would strip them of the wand and spell book he originally gives them at the beginning of the game (it would only be taken away for a certain amount of time, like an hour or ten minutes etc.)
  • They would also be banned from speaking to the public, as they would be muted. Chat would be limited to their friends only.(This would also be for a limited amount of time.)
  • If the person repeats the offense, the time in which they are punished will increase. Eventually, they would get expelled. Thus being banned from the game completely.
The only issue with this is that its going to be hard trying to get everyone in the spiral on board with this. In the arena, the only thing people want to do is duel with another person. That is their only goal. Players would readily accept that change, since PvP do suffer a lot from bullying and insults. It would be easier to adjust, knowing that the arena is a special zone for no insults. If this was a game-wide suggestion, there would be a lot of people complaining, since friends sometimes insult each other for fun in their homes or on quests. It isn't a practice I endorse, but it is a commonplace phenomenon. I honestly don't expect an expansion of my suggestion sitting well with the PvE community. Also, there would be a lot of issues to highlight and solve, since expanding it to more people would mean more pop ups and a directional issue. Because how would you know who the insult is directed at? Like say for instance, someone says "stupid spell fizzled" (I know stupid is an already banned word, this is an example) "stupid" may trigger the ejection system, but is it a legitimate trigger? "False positives" would have a negative effect on the gaming on a whole.

So wouldn't it have the same effect on PvP? - No, it won't.

Why? - Because PvP carries a whole different atmosphere. It can survive with a strict system, since PvP carries strict penalties to begin with. If one loses in rank, you can lose your badge and rank.

Strict? What do I mean? - It's simple. People spend a lot of time learning how to succeed in PvP. It in turn becomes a discipline and a talent. That then equates to a level of seriousness.

Do I think PvE is more relaxing? - Yes, I do. My questing deck can say it all.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Tanda1, I often see people suggest turning chat off, but this solution isn't adequate to address the larger issues at play. It doesn't address bullying culture in the game at all, it adds one more thing for players to have to toggle and keep track of, and it makes someone incapable of talking to friends, acquaintances, and friendly strangers.

On the other hand, a well-thought out ejection system would increase player's trust in the game and the PvP system, reduce bullying, and makes it safe and easy to continue interacting with those who are friendly, and it would do this without requiring much attention or effort. I hope KI takes this discussion seriously, it could potentially be a great help to restoring the sense of community in the game.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
Lucas Rain on Mar 2, 2015 wrote:
Tanda1, I often see people suggest turning chat off, but this solution isn't adequate to address the larger issues at play. It doesn't address bullying culture in the game at all, it adds one more thing for players to have to toggle and keep track of, and it makes someone incapable of talking to friends, acquaintances, and friendly strangers.

On the other hand, a well-thought out ejection system would increase player's trust in the game and the PvP system, reduce bullying, and makes it safe and easy to continue interacting with those who are friendly, and it would do this without requiring much attention or effort. I hope KI takes this discussion seriously, it could potentially be a great help to restoring the sense of community in the game.
Very well said. A badly thought out ejection system for the whole game would be detrimental. With PvP, the system can be kept quite simple. But an expansion would add lots of complexities. This is in no way favoring PvP, it is just humble logic.

I also hope KI takes this seriously. As, Mr. Talon pointed out, I have a tad more faith in KI than others, and honestly, if this issue isn't addressed I would be sorely disapointed.

Realistically speaking, quelling bullying and insults on a whole, may not even be possible, but if players know that some part of this game has a system where that isn't even tolerated, it would help change the mindset of some. And PvP is the best place to start, since (I don't know I may be wrong on this) from my experience, PvP generally is the source for most of the conflict among players, and tends to habour bullying the most. I have seen insults in PvE, especialy if someone uses a feint spell that was place by another player and stuff along those lines, but at the level of PvP? I have yet to see it.

If anyone can offer a well thought out system that evaluates all of the elements of PvE and social patterns then I would be thrilled, and would surely support it. But it is not an easy feat. So those who think I was only being biased since I limiting it to PvP, it is just because I know the limits of the suggested system, and trust me, it can't stretch that far. I can't even imagine a trigger system in PvE. It would be a monstrocity in my opinion. And I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that way.