Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

spies in pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
Hey fellow pvp players and those who are thinking about doing pvp, i was doing some 2v2 with a friend.
we want to get to warlord. I'm not complaining or stuff like that but during some of the pvp matches we realized that. before i go on with the happenings i know pvp is about strategy and all but this is ridiculous,
during the match i saw one person alone there was no one else and the people we were fighting pretty much knew exactly what me and a friend were using! is it just me or is pvp getting to the point of no return.

I have nothing against pvp but its kinda scary that people know what you are using.

also if Wizard101 can do this it would be really awesome both me and my friend are private maybe they could have a rank battling system like privates pvp privates and so on and so forth

just to make it a little more even.

thanks

Wolf duskblade grandmaster

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2011
They were most likely using Spectator Mode or just very accurately predicting what you were going to cast.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
You can't see what the wizards are casting until after they have chosen.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
hey first of all thanks for posting a reply but...... Megan we knew that they were using spectator mode, and
seethe yeah we kinda knew that from the start (didn't mean to sound rude)

we did another pvp match yesterday the 9th and found yet another "spy" he openly said that he was "spying on us" for yet dun dun dun a 1st age pvp warlord and his friend a pvp warlord so he would be gifted

sorry if I sounded mean during that last part. i'm just really sad, at how the people who pvp have too have "friends" spy during what seems a fair honest pvp match.

and yes I know life isn't fair and so on

wolf duskblade

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Animalcrossing5150 on Oct 11, 2014 wrote:
hey first of all thanks for posting a reply but...... Megan we knew that they were using spectator mode, and
seethe yeah we kinda knew that from the start (didn't mean to sound rude)

we did another pvp match yesterday the 9th and found yet another "spy" he openly said that he was "spying on us" for yet dun dun dun a 1st age pvp warlord and his friend a pvp warlord so he would be gifted

sorry if I sounded mean during that last part. i'm just really sad, at how the people who pvp have too have "friends" spy during what seems a fair honest pvp match.

and yes I know life isn't fair and so on

wolf duskblade
Wolf,

I guess I'm confused, I really don't understand your post, or the point of it.
If the people watching the match, don't know anything more than the people
playing the match, what does it matter. I just don't understand why you call them
spies, as a spy would be someone gathering information. How can these people
watching the match, gather information the players don't already know?

Other than your rank and level, but how useful that that really be? Most likely your
level will be close to theirs, and rank really means nothing. I could be a level 2000
warlord Wizard and also have a Level 33 private.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Spies really can't do anything. They can see your stats, but only if you say something. They also can't see what you cast until it's too late. The only thing a 'spy' can do is help your opponent predict your moves, which is more of a friendly helping thing. The same thing could happen if your friend was standing behind you at the keyboard telling you what to cast. Try being less predictable and see what happens to your spies.

Defender
Jun 17, 2012
Yeah, I know how you feel. I was in pvp and my friend teleported to me to watch the match. I said hi to him. my opponents friend clicked on the thing I said and told him all of my resist (so he new how much to pierce), my damage (so he would know if it would be worth shielding), and my pvp win vs. loss, and made fun of me. I just ignored them but the information led to me losing.
and also, I too think that it should only be private vs. private so everyone doesn't get obliterated by warlords. out of all the times I fought with warlords, I've won only once.
Justin firethief level 100, Michael level 59

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
What they could be doing is a technique called watching the queue. Once they see what their opponent will be they instantly go to adjust their deck. Apparently if someone is skilled at it they can make very accurate predictions resulting in some of the stuff you've gone through.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Robobot1747 on Oct 12, 2014 wrote:
Spies really can't do anything. They can see your stats, but only if you say something. They also can't see what you cast until it's too late. The only thing a 'spy' can do is help your opponent predict your moves, which is more of a friendly helping thing. The same thing could happen if your friend was standing behind you at the keyboard telling you what to cast. Try being less predictable and see what happens to your spies.
There actually is one somewhat unfair thing that spies can do - know how a card is enchanted. For instance, if I used loremaster twice, with different enchants, the opponent wouldn't know it, but the weaknesses would stack. A spectator can know that the spells have different amounts of damage, tell their friend, and their friend can gain a slight advantage from that. It's not a huge advantage, but it could be unfair in some situations.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Aaron SpellThief on Oct 27, 2014 wrote:
There actually is one somewhat unfair thing that spies can do - know how a card is enchanted. For instance, if I used loremaster twice, with different enchants, the opponent wouldn't know it, but the weaknesses would stack. A spectator can know that the spells have different amounts of damage, tell their friend, and their friend can gain a slight advantage from that. It's not a huge advantage, but it could be unfair in some situations.
Good observation. I was thinking how Eye of Bartleby weakness and regular treasure card weakness look the same, but anyone who watches can say that they have stacked. Same with Infection and Infection treasure cards. It probably won't break the game, but it's not really fair either.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
The only thing I see repeatedly is that people tend to use two accounts at once and have their other account added as a friend and join the same queue, just on the opposite team so they can see what you are using and defend against it while making their other character seem like it's completely innocent. It's annoying, yes, but at the same time there's really nothing that can be done against it.

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
I agree with the fact of stacking awareness.
However I strictly and extremely disagree with the fact of spies.
There is no such a thing as spying in pvp. It's as if your friend ported to you and kept saying what he is doing. I mean the rest is just revealed. Also there is another fact. There is a trick how to know the spell that is being cloaked.(Not always about 40% of the times. But Even 1% can sometimes save you)

Defender
Jun 13, 2009
No one can spy, the spells only show up in spectator mode when both people already casted.