Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spells in Pvp that are Based on Luck?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 06, 2010
45
anyone noticed that some, and i said some, not all of you, some storm pvp people always spam wild bolts and insane bolts these two spells i think are absolutely based on luck, not strategy. PvP is another way of playing this game that requires strategy and thinking. i think these two spells ruins PvP. anyone agree?
-Kenneth NightPvP Warlord

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
4everL0ve on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
anyone noticed that some, and i said some, not all of you, some storm pvp people always spam wild bolts and insane bolts these two spells i think are absolutely based on luck, not strategy. PvP is another way of playing this game that requires strategy and thinking. i think these two spells ruins PvP. anyone agree?
-Kenneth NightPvP Warlord
I agree with you completely. There is absolutely nothing that you can do when a storm person is first and does a OHKO critical max damage wild bolt. Recently, I have never battled a storm that was not a spammer, whether it was tempest, wild bolt, or insane bolt. All of pvp now is luck, really. Luck on if you draw a few cards you want and if they critical. All max level pvp is now is spamming 1-4 pip spells. It gets extremely annoying. Pvp used to be a contest of how much resist people had. Now it's a contest of how much critical and damage people have. Shrike does not help the situation. It just makes high rank level 50 warlords stop doing pvp because they battle people with insane critical and shrike...

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
219
Although it is annoying I disagree. If they choose to spam luck spells that is their choice. Can't say I wouldn't try it if I was a storm but they have just as much chance of losing as winning. In fact I have won against several storms that tried this. When they insane bolt me, I consider it a compliment. They were so desperate to beat me they were willing to risk their own destruction. Stop complaining about other wizards strategies and work on perfecting your own.

Amber Raven Song

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
4everL0ve on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
anyone noticed that some, and i said some, not all of you, some storm pvp people always spam wild bolts and insane bolts these two spells i think are absolutely based on luck, not strategy. PvP is another way of playing this game that requires strategy and thinking. i think these two spells ruins PvP. anyone agree?
-Kenneth NightPvP Warlord
Agreed 101% .

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
307
Aaron SpellThief on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
I agree with you completely. There is absolutely nothing that you can do when a storm person is first and does a OHKO critical max damage wild bolt. Recently, I have never battled a storm that was not a spammer, whether it was tempest, wild bolt, or insane bolt. All of pvp now is luck, really. Luck on if you draw a few cards you want and if they critical. All max level pvp is now is spamming 1-4 pip spells. It gets extremely annoying. Pvp used to be a contest of how much resist people had. Now it's a contest of how much critical and damage people have. Shrike does not help the situation. It just makes high rank level 50 warlords stop doing pvp because they battle people with insane critical and shrike...
Ah, so you have noticed that it has gone from mainly defense to mainly offense. The cause of that is of course, the Aquila crit gear and Shrike. Soon enough it will turn back to defense, but for now you just have to know how to deal with the critical crazy people and Shrike obsessors. Always remember, the Shrike spell has weaknesses as well as strengths. *cough* backlash *cough* Also, for those critical crazy people, there's always block, so its not really all that bad. Heh. I think mwah nearly quoting Duelist101. Oops. Also, people were complaining when it was a contest of resist. They're complaining now that its all Shrike and crit. I suppose they'll complain no matter what. Well, I consider that its full of luck a good thing. Makes it more even in my mind, lol.

-Jasmine Owltalon, level 95 myth

Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
26
I think they should make an update that makes wild and insane bolt no PvP or even replace them completely with something that needs skill.


Luke Spritehammer- Currently a Level 64 Legendary in Zafaria

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
1077
Hey, let's not pretend this is about luck. Luck can't be manufactured by a spell card if you spam it. It is probable that you will be hit by max bolts. Nothing lucky about it, it is programmed to occur relatively often. Plan ahead for it or you're going to get hurt a lot. Seems like most people define luck as "the methods people use to beat me when I didn't plan good countermeasures." That's no reason to ban a card, just plan better.

But if we're talking about the actual spell mechanics, that's legit. Let's talk about that.

I think if developers had given Storm a DoT, they could have lowered the damage done by Wild Bolt. People learn to spam Wild Bolt because opponents can shield against almost any Storm hit. Storm has no learnable damage-over-time spells, so the best way around shields is to hit with something low-pip, like Wild Bolt. If Storm could kill shields with a DoT, Wild Bolt wouldn't need to be as powerful--100, 200, or 300 might be reasonable. Sure, a Wild Bolt could still do 2000 with a max hit, but honestly, so could Lightning Bats, and no one ever asks for that to be banned.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
MythWizardForeves on Jan 5, 2014 wrote:
Ah, so you have noticed that it has gone from mainly defense to mainly offense. The cause of that is of course, the Aquila crit gear and Shrike. Soon enough it will turn back to defense, but for now you just have to know how to deal with the critical crazy people and Shrike obsessors. Always remember, the Shrike spell has weaknesses as well as strengths. *cough* backlash *cough* Also, for those critical crazy people, there's always block, so its not really all that bad. Heh. I think mwah nearly quoting Duelist101. Oops. Also, people were complaining when it was a contest of resist. They're complaining now that its all Shrike and crit. I suppose they'll complain no matter what. Well, I consider that its full of luck a good thing. Makes it more even in my mind, lol.

-Jasmine Owltalon, level 95 myth
Against level 50 high rank warlords, this strategy has no weaknesses. Level 50s, with their max of 120 or so block, even with conviction, cannot block level 95s consistently. Shrike takes away the only reason level 50s can really survive long enough to put out a large hit, resist. Level 95s generally have at least 3500 health, too much to kill without 3+ blades and a combo. Level 50 players simply do not have time to set up the massive attack/combo of several attacks needed to take down players. They do not have high enough critical to spam spells, or block enough to block attacks. Spamming worsens the problem, killing the level 50 in usually 1-3 turns. It is simply not fair. Before Aquila, it was fine. Even after Aquila, matches against level 90s were possible. Now, it's practically impossible for a level 50 to consistently win matches at high rank. All levels should have fair matches, not just max levels.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2011
44
4everL0ve on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
anyone noticed that some, and i said some, not all of you, some storm pvp people always spam wild bolts and insane bolts these two spells i think are absolutely based on luck, not strategy. PvP is another way of playing this game that requires strategy and thinking. i think these two spells ruins PvP. anyone agree?
-Kenneth NightPvP Warlord
If you're all that fussed, I'd say you should do low-leveled PvP. However, I do agree on the most part. Although it is frustrating, like some others have said, it's also up to them as to what they want to do. People play Wizard101 because it's fun, not because they want their freedom dictated by some sore loser. As I said before, there's not much we can do. You should also keep in mind that many other spells are based on luck, too. This is unfortunate, but it can't be helped.

Explorer
Aug 15, 2012
77
Aaron SpellThief on Jan 8, 2014 wrote:
Against level 50 high rank warlords, this strategy has no weaknesses. Level 50s, with their max of 120 or so block, even with conviction, cannot block level 95s consistently. Shrike takes away the only reason level 50s can really survive long enough to put out a large hit, resist. Level 95s generally have at least 3500 health, too much to kill without 3+ blades and a combo. Level 50 players simply do not have time to set up the massive attack/combo of several attacks needed to take down players. They do not have high enough critical to spam spells, or block enough to block attacks. Spamming worsens the problem, killing the level 50 in usually 1-3 turns. It is simply not fair. Before Aquila, it was fine. Even after Aquila, matches against level 90s were possible. Now, it's practically impossible for a level 50 to consistently win matches at high rank. All levels should have fair matches, not just max levels.
I don't see everyone complaining shadow shrike is destroying pvp against lvl 50 warlords. You have to think about your strategy just change it instead of putting up constant blades and relying on sole resistance, start putting up shields. Warlord gear in pvp has high resist, a simple shield will take out shrike and your resist still stands. Not to mention just live for 3 turn and backlash will hit them . not to mention there are spells available such as Weakness that lowers there damage, not to mention auras. so just change your strategy a bit.

P.S. The only reason why I say this is because I seen some friends who are lvl 50 warlords are able to win against lvl 95 wizards

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
Diamond Dust on Jan 9, 2014 wrote:
I don't see everyone complaining shadow shrike is destroying pvp against lvl 50 warlords. You have to think about your strategy just change it instead of putting up constant blades and relying on sole resistance, start putting up shields. Warlord gear in pvp has high resist, a simple shield will take out shrike and your resist still stands. Not to mention just live for 3 turn and backlash will hit them . not to mention there are spells available such as Weakness that lowers there damage, not to mention auras. so just change your strategy a bit.

P.S. The only reason why I say this is because I seen some friends who are lvl 50 warlords are able to win against lvl 95 wizards
I shield or weakness as often as possible without completely destroying my offense and healing... Level 95s often have 20% base pierce. If they put up shrike and wild bolt spam me, or really any spell, they're going to critical nearly every time, even through conviction. Shrike and their base pierce takes my resist down significantly to the point that they can do thousands of damage easily. My base health is around 2300, and cannot stand this many powerful attacks. They can just sit there with a tc deck full of 2 pip spells and use them every round...this is not skill or strategy, this is just spam. Pvp is meant to be a contest of who has the best strategy, not who can spam the best. It should be fair for all levels, not just high levels. I have fine-tuned my strategy well enough to be in the top 200 on the pvp leaderboard. I can beat level 95 wizards; just not consistently, because I need a huge amount of luck to win. This ruins the fun of pvp for me, and I have pretty much quit pvp and the game because of it.

Defender
Mar 08, 2013
114
4everL0ve on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
anyone noticed that some, and i said some, not all of you, some storm pvp people always spam wild bolts and insane bolts these two spells i think are absolutely based on luck, not strategy. PvP is another way of playing this game that requires strategy and thinking. i think these two spells ruins PvP. anyone agree?
-Kenneth NightPvP Warlord
Storm is all about luck. They have the lowest health, defense, and accuracy. It's either hit or die. Their bolts are just another strategy for storms luck.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2012
7
Lucas Rain on Jan 8, 2014 wrote:
Hey, let's not pretend this is about luck. Luck can't be manufactured by a spell card if you spam it. It is probable that you will be hit by max bolts. Nothing lucky about it, it is programmed to occur relatively often. Plan ahead for it or you're going to get hurt a lot. Seems like most people define luck as "the methods people use to beat me when I didn't plan good countermeasures." That's no reason to ban a card, just plan better.

But if we're talking about the actual spell mechanics, that's legit. Let's talk about that.

I think if developers had given Storm a DoT, they could have lowered the damage done by Wild Bolt. People learn to spam Wild Bolt because opponents can shield against almost any Storm hit. Storm has no learnable damage-over-time spells, so the best way around shields is to hit with something low-pip, like Wild Bolt. If Storm could kill shields with a DoT, Wild Bolt wouldn't need to be as powerful--100, 200, or 300 might be reasonable. Sure, a Wild Bolt could still do 2000 with a max hit, but honestly, so could Lightning Bats, and no one ever asks for that to be banned.
Very well said, yes in fact storm doesn't have a DoT spell that is learnable. As a 95 storm who does pvp for fun, it is very hard to break through those shields as most everyone who does pvp has storm shields in their deck due to the high damage. Granted I am not a hardcore pvp player so you can say that I just lack strategy, however that is something everyone guards against. Storm hits hard and fast, what better way then bolts? every schools seems to have 1 spell that they rely on most, storm just happens to have bolt as one of those.

Defender
Oct 27, 2013
160
just gonna wait till i'm a promo life so i can win every battle instead of lose

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
449
poliwhirl555 on Feb 8, 2014 wrote:
just gonna wait till i'm a promo life so i can win every battle instead of lose
1. What does this have to do with the original post?
2. Just because you're promethean, doesn't mean you'll win every battle. Prometheans lose just as much as other players. Personally, I find that I lose more on promethean characters than lower level characters.