Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Some things to change about Storm

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
kingurz wrote:

Looks like my fears have come to pass.

The new level 70 wand is moon damage. Granted, it isn't very much, but the door has been opened.

I guess the question now is, can any other school boost Moon damage in addition to Storm?????

Off thread topic, but your fears a off base here. Insane bolt is a Storm spell that does moon damage. So it uses storm damage enhancements from gear.

Similar to balance doing elemental damage with spectral blast, but running off their balance boost instead of the corresponding elemental boost from gear.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
archmage987 wrote:
kingurz wrote:

Looks like my fears have come to pass.

The new level 70 wand is moon damage. Granted, it isn't very much, but the door has been opened.

I guess the question now is, can any other school boost Moon damage in addition to Storm?????

Off thread topic, but your fears a off base here. Insane bolt is a Storm spell that does moon damage. So it uses storm damage enhancements from gear.

Similar to balance doing elemental damage with spectral blast, but running off their balance boost instead of the corresponding elemental boost from gear.

First, it's not off topic since I quoted myself and Darthjt's discussion about Insane Bolt (which according to this topic is something to change about Storm).

Second, I know how Insane Bolt works. Scroll back a few posts and you'll see your whole description above is exactly my complaint (and how I described it too). Storm has an ability that use to be exclusive to Balance (boosting non-school damage). Not the end of the world, since other schools have gained other schools exclusive abilites too, but one more distinguisher that Balance lost.

Finally, my fears were that Moon Damage (a spell that couldn't be resisted without universal gear resist or tower/legion shield) would manifest in other spells. And that finally happened with the new Crowns gear (since my first post was before they were introduced). My growing fear is now that Moon Damage exists as a wand, why would it stop there? Now, it's wide open to be included in even more spells in the future. So next time, Storm loses out on an exclusive (Insane Bolt).

While I'm disappointed that some schools are losing their "exclusiveness," it does open up a whole new level of game play. The strategy takes yet another turn. And schools could also gain new exclusives in the future. I'm old school and change isn't easy.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
By the way, my main school isn't Storm (You probably would've noticed after seeing a bunch of my posts saying I'm mainly Balance), so don't just say I'm trying to improve my school to make it more powerful, and I also have a Storm wizard, so don't say I don't know Storm very well.

I have a couple of points:
Storm is somewhat lagging in damage
They lose accuracy, resist, damage boost, and critical block with Zafarian gear, so that's a no way.

Some changes I'd like to make:
(My past ideas are overpowering Storm I now think)
Storm's Zafarian gear should give them more damage boost, since they lose a bunch of stats. That's all I want now.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
archmage987 wrote:
Lets be fair here. You are talking about a general mob in Zafaria with no shield, no universal resistance, and coupled with a critical hit. How is this senario like PvP exactly?

In PvP a storm mage can expect 30-40 universal resistance. Storm can expect a shield often, and lots of them to deal with. Where if they are scoring a critical then either A, they got very very luck or B, it was an arena mismatch where a pre 50 when against a post 50.

I understand that. However, the OP cited sirens as being underpowered specifically because it only did damage to him in the range of 600 while in a PvP match. I made a PvE reference only for the purposes of illustrating that the spell in and of itself isn't underpowered. For the record, the caster had a couple of blades but no critical. There may have been a boost effect as well, but I don't remember that bit for certain.

archmage987 wrote:
Siren was a nerf in that if you extrapolated out the standard increase of damage from level to level Siren should have been higher. The other effect of getting hit by Siren are certainly debatable. I would feel better about the loss of damage if it still did remove two charms,
double smoke screen and really pacify all opponents.

I just can't bring myself to see something that never made it out of test realm as a nerf. Further, given the shear volume of after effects on this spell, I can't help but think that mathematically it was an appropriate change. Damage per pip-wise, Tempest is 80 (with no after effects), Storm Lord is 98.57 w/ stun, and Sirens is 97.77 with remove 2 positive charms, -50% accuracy, and reduce threat level. I'm not saying that I agree with the design choice that KI made with this spell, but it does seem mathematically sound.

archmage987 wrote:
The WW nerf was a loss of 2% damage. I make choice of bigger percents than that when figuring my gear combo, so 2% is ignorable to me. Nor would I truly call this a nerf. I also don't use WW gear set. :P

I wasn't aware of this change (that's why I asked). The only question I have is this... did it make it out of test realm and then get changed, or was it changed in test?

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
archmage987 wrote:
Lets be fair here. You are talking about a general mob in Zafaria with no shield, no universal resistance, and coupled with a critical hit. How is this senario like PvP exactly?

In PvP a storm mage can expect 30-40 universal resistance. Storm can expect a shield often, and lots of them to deal with. Where if they are scoring a critical then either A, they got very very luck or B, it was an arena mismatch where a pre 50 when against a post 50.

I understand that. However, the OP cited sirens as being underpowered specifically because it only did damage to him in the range of 600 while in a PvP match. I made a PvE reference only for the purposes of illustrating that the spell in and of itself isn't underpowered. For the record, the caster had a couple of blades but no critical. There may have been a boost effect as well, but I don't remember that bit for certain.

archmage987 wrote:
Siren was a nerf in that if you extrapolated out the standard increase of damage from level to level Siren should have been higher. The other effect of getting hit by Siren are certainly debatable. I would feel better about the loss of damage if it still did remove two charms,
double smoke screen and really pacify all opponents.

I just can't bring myself to see something that never made it out of test realm as a nerf. Further, given the shear volume of after effects on this spell, I can't help but think that mathematically it was an appropriate change. Damage per pip-wise, Tempest is 80 (with no after effects), Storm Lord is 98.57 w/ stun, and Sirens is 97.77 with remove 2 positive charms, -50% accuracy, and reduce threat level. I'm not saying that I agree with the design choice that KI made with this spell, but it does seem mathematically sound.

archmage987 wrote:
The WW nerf was a loss of 2% damage. I make choice of bigger percents than that when figuring my gear combo, so 2% is ignorable to me. Nor would I truly call this a nerf. I also don't use WW gear set. :P

I wasn't aware of this change (that's why I asked). The only question I have is this... did it make it out of test realm and then get changed, or was it changed in test?

I'll answer that question for you. Sirens was changed during test realm due to complaints. Here's what it used to do:
915 damage, remove 2 charms from opponents, and -50% accuracy to all opponents. Now, it's 880, remove 1 charm, and also -50% accuracy. This spell was fine, but because of low resist wizard complaints, this was changed. I've told many people to use Sirens in 4v4, and here's their reply:
Nah, I'm going to Storm Lord. I didn't argue, because Sirens is much weaker then Storm Lord. Storm lord stuns your opponents, giving your team a chance to heal. It's possible to double Storm Lord, and that's WAY better then just 1 Sirens.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
The best way to fix storm is to give them a 5 pip DoT, boosting their damage only helps if they are going first (whats the point of an extra 5% on a blade is the attack is still hitting an 80% shield?)

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
joujou11cool wrote:
I'll answer that question for you. Sirens was changed during test realm due to complaints. Here's what it used to do:
915 damage, remove 2 charms from opponents, and -50% accuracy to all opponents. Now, it's 880, remove 1 charm, and also -50% accuracy. This spell was fine, but because of low resist wizard complaints, this was changed. I've told many people to use Sirens in 4v4, and here's their reply:
Nah, I'm going to Storm Lord. I didn't argue, because Sirens is much weaker then Storm Lord. Storm lord stuns your opponents, giving your team a chance to heal. It's possible to double Storm Lord, and that's WAY better then just 1 Sirens.

Look, I didn't say I agreed with the design of the spell, I'm simply looking at this from a mathematical standpoint. Sirens isn't "WAY" worse than storm lord, its just different. Sirens is 97.77 damage per pip and storm lord is 98.57 damage per pip which is a difference of .8 damage per pip. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a 4v4 match, when someone stuns doesn't the stunned player get 4 stun shields? Whether or not that's true, there is at least 1 stun shield generated meaning that in two casts, the after effect of Lord would work once. Sirens, on the other hand, is effective every time and in cooperation with either a treasure card or a fire wizard, it can have a more devastating effect than a stun (and without stun shields) since an accuracy caused fizzle causes the card they were going to cast to go back into the deck rather than just losing a turn.

The bottom line here is that this change was made in test realm. Unless there is a flaw on the card I'm looking at, it still removes 2 charms, leaves a -50% accuracy, and reduces threat on all enemies. Add all that up and it looks about right at 880 which is how it was released to live realm. In my opinion, wild bolt could be considered a "nerf" since it was performed on a live spell. However, sirens hasn't been altered since its live release. Obviously, we're talking about an opinion here, but do you see my point?

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:

Look, I didn't say I agreed with the design of the spell, I'm simply looking at this from a mathematical standpoint. Sirens isn't "WAY" worse than storm lord, its just different. Sirens is 97.77 damage per pip and storm lord is 98.57 damage per pip which is a difference of .8 damage per pip. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a 4v4 match, when someone stuns doesn't the stunned player get 4 stun shields? Whether or not that's true, there is at least 1 stun shield generated meaning that in two casts, the after effect of Lord would work once. Sirens, on the other hand, is effective every time and in cooperation with either a treasure card or a fire wizard, it can have a more devastating effect than a stun (and without stun shields) since an accuracy caused fizzle causes the card they were going to cast to go back into the deck rather than just losing a turn.

The bottom line here is that this change was made in test realm. Unless there is a flaw on the card I'm looking at, it still removes 2 charms, leaves a -50% accuracy, and reduces threat on all enemies. Add all that up and it looks about right at 880 which is how it was released to live realm. In my opinion, wild bolt could be considered a "nerf" since it was performed on a live spell. However, sirens hasn't been altered since its live release. Obviously, we're talking about an opinion here, but do you see my point?

Yes, I do see your point, and it was well said. Damage-wise though, a double Storm Lord would be better. 1st of all, it would stun the opponent so no Storm Shields for the next round, so you can hit twice with amazing damage. Now, Sirens can't be comboed, so It's a little weaker. It's not technically a nerf, but more like a change.

Defender
Dec 25, 2008
Sorry, but no no no. Storm is powerful as it is. the blades do not need to be added to 35% nor do the traps need to be increased. This is because of the fact of how high your damage from your gear is already. A storm with WW gear has about 80%+ damage not including pet stats. That is like saying you have an 80% blade at all times. Other schools have maybe 70 or 60 maybe 30 if you are an ice, now storm is meant for damage as ice obviously is not. Nerfing them would make storm so over powered when they already are. considering storm spells do the most damage and they have the highest percentage boost of damage to them too should give you happiness right? wrong storms never seem to be happy. They are either too weak (which clearly they are not) or are too powerful for everyone else and seem to dwell on there low health. yes they have the least health, but that is what makes this game a chance game. Storm is not an easy school to pvp with as i have expierience with. storm is not meant for your first school to lvl due to the fact you always find the need to think you aren't good enough. i'm sorry if i don't make sense, but let me sum it up. Storms do insane amounts of damage. they do less because it makes the game more equal (in pvp that is). Storms just don't seem to understand equality. not trying to sterio type i mean to say SOME storms as well as any school has complainers, but it seems to be most frequent of storms. The nerfing was for a good cause and i don't think anything needs to be changed at the moment.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
Ok, i'm a storm wizard, and i would love thes things but i have to admit they are a bit too overpowered. The thing your basicly saying is that now that storm is weaker then the other schools they need to make us stronger again, and they do but not that extreme.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
SEAN638 wrote:
Sorry, but no no no. Storm is powerful as it is. the blades do not need to be added to 35% nor do the traps need to be increased. This is because of the fact of how high your damage from your gear is already. A storm with WW gear has about 80%+ damage not including pet stats. That is like saying you have an 80% blade at all times. Other schools have maybe 70 or 60 maybe 30 if you are an ice, now storm is meant for damage as ice obviously is not. Nerfing them would make storm so over powered when they already are. considering storm spells do the most damage and they have the highest percentage boost of damage to them too should give you happiness right? wrong storms never seem to be happy. They are either too weak (which clearly they are not) or are too powerful for everyone else and seem to dwell on there low health. yes they have the least health, but that is what makes this game a chance game. Storm is not an easy school to pvp with as i have expierience with. storm is not meant for your first school to lvl due to the fact you always find the need to think you aren't good enough. i'm sorry if i don't make sense, but let me sum it up. Storms do insane amounts of damage. they do less because it makes the game more equal (in pvp that is). Storms just don't seem to understand equality. not trying to sterio type i mean to say SOME storms as well as any school has complainers, but it seems to be most frequent of storms. The nerfing was for a good cause and i don't think anything needs to be changed at the moment.

Again, I'm NOT a Storm wizard. I do have one on my other account though because I already have 6 on this, and I'm pretty good on Storm, until you get to the higher levels. Storm gets weak, most wizards get around 42% resist or up, so damage from Storm is weak, and many schools can get higher then Storm's damage boost, for example:
With waterworks gear though, Balance cab get up to 81%
Death up to 84%
Life up to 81%

4 schools can get up to Storm's damage boost, how fair is that? Now, their level 68 spells do a lot more damage then Sirens. Does that make it fair? Dealing more damage then Storm and more resist, also having more health. That's what's making Storm really bad right now. Their damage is too relatively close/ lower then other schools, and same with their damage boost, while their resist falls behind, accuracy is great, and they can't afford to lose 9% with each ring/athame just to get higher power pip chance or healing boost, or else their damage boost would be 78%, below 4 school's damage boost.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Survivor
May 30, 2009
I love forums like this that involve math and friendly arguing. Here is my opinion: Storm is exactly how it should be, low health, extreme damage. On the forumIce is becoming immortall I did a showing of how much sats storm clothing gives. A few responses to peoples opinions here: Amber, definitely get the WW gear. Also, someone, cant remember who, said something about needing unversal resist? As a myth I love my universal resist and couldnt live with out my 43% resist. Thats all

Survivor
Dec 10, 2008
Here's what Joujou says:

You already know the awnser to those questions. So, why ask?
Sirens is 9 pips, if on a 4v4 teams, where earthquake can be used, and storm lives long enough to cast sirens, it can do some serious damage is properly bladed, there is no denying that.

However, it's damage has been reduced, while other spells gained in damage. Storm has lost more damage boost with the zafaria gear release than any other school.

Here's what I say:

First off, Sirens attacks all enemies, which is good. (Better than Storm Lord anyways) Then, it removes a blade, which is nice. Reduces threat on the target WHILE DOING A LOT OF DAMAGE. That really helps me, because i have a tendency of ticking off enemies at the beginning of the round. Finally, it reduces their accuracy. Overall, 789.653% better than Basilisk (Which is my school's 68 spell)[percentage is my opinion, not a fact]

Now about the Zafaria gear. It is easier to obtain than the WW gear, so it will be worse. Simple as that.