Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

So is their a trick or do I have bad luck?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 28, 2009
I did 17 pvp matches today I started off at a rank of 1329 I ended with a rank of 1313. However of all these matches I went first only 1 time, and the match I did go first it was this guy I beat all rdy so he fled. Then my going second streak continued. Is there a trick? Can someone share wt they do that normally makes them first? Is their a ritual? Does stroking the beard of Ambrose help cause honestly I feel cursed. Anyone got suggestions?

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Sorry man. It's luck and random number generation. How the system decides who goes first is akin to flipping a coin but instead of that it'll generate a number. If it's in a set range, you go first. If it's in the other range you go second. Just sounds like you had a run of bad luck there.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
There is no trick. Lots of superstitions though. The most popular rumor is that dancing or clapping before a match starts gives you the first turn. (It doesn't.)

I won't say that the system is "random," because I have my doubts regarding the particular random number generator that Wizard101 is using, but I will say that there will be good days and there will be bad. Maybe you just had a bad day.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Lucas Rain on Sep 19, 2014 wrote:
There is no trick. Lots of superstitions though. The most popular rumor is that dancing or clapping before a match starts gives you the first turn. (It doesn't.)

I won't say that the system is "random," because I have my doubts regarding the particular random number generator that Wizard101 is using, but I will say that there will be good days and there will be bad. Maybe you just had a bad day.
NorthStar,

I agree with Lucan Rain on this one completely, I have never found the system to be fully random.
I have often got locked into being second for 6 or even 7 times in a row. It eventually does
change, but you may only go first once and then back to second.

At one time I decided to chart my wins and loses, to see which type of Wizard I would lose
to most often. After 250 matches, I found that I had gone second 67.5% of the time.
I gotta say, I thought it more like 95%, or that's the way it seemed to me at the time.

As one guy stated, I need more data to prove anything, maybe 1000 or 2000 or more.
As was stated by Lucas, the random number generator never seems to be all that random
(at least at times).