Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ranked PVP has no rules - like it or not

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
While I'm of the opinion that a lot of things people do should not be allowed in ranked PVP, the fact is that KI has chosen to allow them. I may not feel that some of the actions people take are in the spirit of fair play, but that has nothing to do with the fact that they are perfectly legal actions.

Get this through your head once and for all:
The only things not allowed in ranked PVP, KI has coded out.

That means, whether you like it or not, it is perfectly valid for someone to use minions, treasure cards, heal, cast the same spell every single round (such as smoke screen) and do everything else that SOME people get nasty about.

I'm exceptionally tired of certain people making up their own personal rules about what others can and can't do in ranked PVP and then taking issue (and being quite nasty about it ) when other people don't follow those personal rules that they never agreed to.

If you (meaning everyone reading this post) want to impose your own personal rules on the people you are fighting, go into practice, set up a match with friends only and agree on those rules before you start.

Ranked is very much the wild west with no rules, no law enforcement, and anything goes.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
Which is why I don't team PvP - I impose on my myself not fighting chain smoke screens or leg noobers or downrank team nonsense - so can everyone else.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
You are right there, Rank PvP has no rules....

There is no code of honor, morals, ethics, it is a low down dirty trick anything goes brawl....

People, including myself, will complain about things we don't like...

We want to teach or kids morals, ethics, standards, honor, and to be humble, yet, Ranked PvP, for a family game, is not children or family oriented at all...

Maybe an options tab in ranked PvP would be good... Yes, it might take longer to find a match if you select options, but at least you have a choice, rather that fighting anyone, anywhere, anytime, with anything goes...

Not everyone like to fight with minions, or wants to fight people that are 20 or more levels above them or below them... Some people actually want a good fair fight that tests their skills...

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
I agree that 65% of the time people always complain about a certain "flaw" in PvP. And because of some of these complaints everyone has the idea that Ranked PvP is filled with "cheaters". I mean really people the only actual cheaters in game would have to be hackers or 1 person on different accounts simultaneously playing team matches. Everything else is pure strategy.

1) Treasure noobs - I myself am one and apparently everyone finds this to be a BIG deal and usually leave me a nasty comment at the end of a battle. Side decks are supposed to be use to help you in battle like a situation where a super boosted ice angel is thrown at you, as a death i have no natural defenses against this and i dont have the training points to train to tower shield, so i carry some in my side deck with a few triage to keep me alive from a monster attack.

2) Smokescreen spams - This is another infamous issue in Ranked PvP even though people dont realize the effect isnt very great and can be beaten. I have spammed smokescreen before and lemme tell you right now its not a flawless strategy at all. First of all, since you have to constantly spam them you are not attacking, shielding, or healing whatsoever. Second of all, Accuracy boost still takes affect which explains why a storm can still do colossal damage on the team forcing them to heal and shield and stop spamming for a maybe a round or two giving you guys the chance to launch attacks limit healing and all that having to worry about only three players actually damaging you while we worry about 4.

3) Low level warlords vs. High level privates - Since you decided to get warlord this way possible epic pets with high ranked moves, arena and/or crown gear, and lets not forget using treasures for maximum damage and battling inexperienced level (1-25)'s to receive the warlord title. But by doing so you are capped at a certain point because you are being matched with level 60's all the time. Well there is a very easy solution of leveling up and if its too time consuming well too bad since you chose to take the easy path there is a road block up ahead :-D! (I give that joke a 7).

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
TheDarkestMask wrote:

3) Low level warlords vs. High level privates - Since you decided to get warlord this way possible epic pets with high ranked moves, arena and/or crown gear, and lets not forget using treasures for maximum damage and battling inexperienced level (1-25)'s to receive the warlord title. But by doing so you are capped at a certain point because you are being matched with level 60's all the time. .

capped to what, exactly? The highest rank you can get is warlord, the highest rank gear is commander. No pets for any higher rank.

So no real issue with level 16 warlords fighting level 60 privates (and mine not only does, he wins about 50% of the time).

The real problem is the level 60 privates that pair up with a low level newbie to do 2v2, and have the newbie make the match, thereby trying to ensure that they as a team will fight a team of fairly low level players.

That is wrong and should be prevented as the low level players probably don't have a chance unless they are both at least commanders.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Crystalwizard1234 wrote:
"Get this through your head once and for all:

That means, whether you like it or not, it is perfectly valid for someone to use minions, treasure cards, heal, cast the same spell every single round (such as smoke screen) and do everything else that SOME people get nasty about.

I'm exceptionally tired of certain people making up their own personal rules about what others can and can't do in ranked PVP and then taking issue (and being quite nasty about it ) when other people don't follow those personal rules that they never agreed to. "

Crystal,

Thank you so much for putting common sense into words and posting it...
I for one very much appreciate your post..... and I hope everyone reads it twice.....

Thanks,
Joe
Joseph LionHunter.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
The reason people post complaints on the message boards, is to try and get things fixed!!!

You can say, "Like it or not" all you want, however, people have a right to post their perspective!

Now, Talos, a spell myth gets at high level, is available as a treasure card...
This treasure card should have a Level restriction on it...

People have every right to state this fact!

If people did not post about these issues, Low Level Polymorphs would still be allowed, chain stuns would still be allowed!

So, tell me to like it or not, but I will still post the things that need to be fixed and changed! Just because it is, does not mean it is right!

Also, the new matching system is seriously flawed! We are driving away new wizards and low level wizards! It is specificially catering to those that are Legendary and those that already are Warlords with full Commander Gear!

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Ok, Darthjt, there are many ways to look at this......

The reason people post complaints on the message boards, is to try and get things fixed!!!

Reply: In some cases, but in most cases it's to change the game to be the way they want it, and nothing more. Perfect example, Travis wants to fight a low level game, rank up and still play people only his rank. KI didn't program the game this way, and so he complains. It's not broke, it doesn't need to be changed to make him happy, it's the way it was designed.
To bring it up as a possible concern or issue is a different matter. To put it on a Wish List is another way to present it, but not the way it's being whined about.
------------------------------

You can say, "Like it or not" all you want, however, people have a right to post their perspective!

Reply: Persepctives are like faces, everyone has one. Stating it that way is fine, as long as you don't start claiming facts that are not there, like it's broke.
-----------------------------

Reply: No, because anyone can use it, anyone........
---------------------------------

Reply: It's not a fact, it's a statement, there is a difference. Travis doesn't understand this, but you of all people should.

If people did not post about these issues, Low Level Polymorphs would still be allowed, chain stuns would still be allowed!

Reply: Yes, issue should be brought up, but they should be stated as possible problem or items that KI may want to look at to change.
Not as just the system is broke, because it's not.
------------------------

So, tell me to like it or not, but I will still post the things that need to be fixed and changed! Just because it is, does not mean it is right!

Reply: That is what the boards are here for, not for attacking people, but for posting issues. Something a lot of people have forgotten on this board.
They really need to address the issue, and back off on the personal attacks. If they are not mature enough to stop the personal attacks, they should do some self analysis to find out why.
-------------------------

Also, the new matching system is seriously flawed! We are driving away new wizards and low level wizards! It is specificially catering to those that are Legendary and those that already are Warlords with full Commander Gear!

Reply: Flawed in who's eyes, not the person Leveling up their player as he/she pvps. Only to the person trying to gain Warlord at a low level.
This is Travis's whole complaint, and maybe one that KI doesn't want to address, who knows. I see no where in the PvP manual, that you should be able to keep at level 5, 15, or level 30, and become a Warlord.
This is something that some would like to see changed, so they can do that.
But PvP is not broke because of it, it can still be played.
So, if you want to say it's seriously flawed, define what you mean, don't make a general statement.
If you want to see what Gtar suggested, the Bands be made, then state that, don't just say it's broke.

Joe.

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
While I'm of the opinion that a lot of things people do should not be allowed in ranked PVP, the fact is that KI has chosen to allow them. I may not feel that some of the actions people take are in the spirit of fair play, but that has nothing to do with the fact that they are perfectly legal actions.

Get this through your head once and for all:

I'm exceptionally tired of certain people making up their own personal rules about what others can and can't do in ranked PVP and then taking issue (and being quite nasty about it ) when other people don't follow those personal rules that they never agreed to.

If you (meaning everyone reading this post) want to impose your own personal rules on the people you are fighting, go into practice, set up a match with friends only and agree on those rules before you start.

Ranked is very much the wild west with no rules, no law enforcement, and anything goes.

come to think of it...what you're saying is true. i just realized that now that i've read your post. ranked PvP is pretty much pulling some random dudes name out of the proverbial hat and dueling him, nothing else. :?

Defender
Apr 01, 2011

I sit here looking at this thread trying to decipher its purpose.

The letters of the subject rearrange themselves into: "The sky is blue - like it or not."

I ponder about the times the sky is sometimes navy, or black, or red ablaze, or white, or pink with orange, but all I see are people talking stating the sky is a different color.

Truth is everyone has a bit of right and a bit of wrong. So let me talk about
my rainbow sky.

Crystal is right to say people should deal with treasure cards and healing and minions - but wrong to say that chain smoke screens are something I or anyone that dislikes it should deal with. We don't have to deal with it because it doesn't exist in 1v1 and we can play 1v1 until that thing gets fixed. That's what I'm doing.

If they fixed stun chains is because they dont think its fun for anyone to walk into an arena where they cant cast anything from the moment the game starts till the moment the game ends. That's not the spirit of fair play.

Nobody can impose rules on anyone else, Crystal, but anyone can sure make their opinion known. If someone plays cheap and dirty, I for sure will let them know it. There been way more than a handful of kids that have changed their style of fighting when they realize what they are doing is not very cool.

For me, whenever *I* am in a ranked arena, Darthjt, my ethics, my morals and my code of honor, is there with me. You just think there is no code because other people that you face are not ruling themselves by one and you think ethics makes you weaker. Well, that's an untruth you going to have to figure out by yourself when you get older. Cheaters are sprinting, fair-minded people run marathons.

I still dont agree with a tab on ranked PvP because it will greatly increase match times.

As far as the DarkestMan's assertion that smoke screen chains are 'pure strategy,' I find that laughable. For one, he doesn't understand that it's a team fight exploit bc he writes about how one is not getting attacked while getting spammed smoke screens ---- well wake up, this is a 3v3 and 4v4 strategy where you are double smoke screened every turned while a legend critical strikes you (this usually happening to midlevels that cant block). that being said, i find no problem with treasure cards. as far as low level warlords getting matched with legends ------- wouldn't mind it if those legends rating was their REAL rating not their down ranked rating.

A lot of these people that complain about really ridiculous things like the use of treasure cards or minions are like very small kids who don't know what's up - I don't understand why a bunch of teenagers needs to take the lil kids comments so serious - especially when they are patently ridiculous.

Finally, I agree with Darthjt on that people should come to the board with their feedback on PvP - however misguided I think Darth is on some of his opinions (like that changing the scoring will improve matching), I still don't post for him to stop sharing his opinion.

In addition, crystal, all those kids that come here to complain about the treasure cards or the minion don't even have the attention span to come back the next day and see what all the other people wrote on it so going back to the beginning.....

"The sky is blue whether you like it or not" - do you really think any of those seven year old kids will care? Theirs is strawberry-colored with a cherry on top.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Hey Joseph,

You seem to know quite a bit about what I want, what I think and what I don't understand. What you fail to understand is that my level ten fire wizard (1516) rank could fold your Legend ice in a heartbeat. I practically breathe low level pvp and understand the issues completely. the last level 30 I fought was 1300... A good match. You're missing my point completely, my drive is not to match wizards by exact level but rather to provide low level DUELISTS like me some critical block on gear if they are being forced to fight legends. Your response are often vague to me.Isnt it bad enough my level 10 fire can get slapped in the face with gargantuan level 58 spells hitting for twice my health? Do I really have to deal with the fact that at any random time that damage could suddenly double? Pls refrain from providing the forums with thoughts and feelings you have constructed for me ok.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Ok, Darthjt, there are many ways to look at this......

Reply: In some cases, but in most cases it's to change the game to be the way they want it, and nothing more. Perfect example, Travis wants to fight a low level game, rank up and still play people only his rank. KI didn't program the game this way, and so he complains. It's not broke, it doesn't need to be changed to make him happy, it's the way it was designed.
To bring it up as a possible concern or issue is a different matter. To put it on a Wish List is another way to present it, but not the way it's being whined about.
------------------------------

Reply: Persepctives are like faces, everyone has one. Stating it that way is fine, as long as you don't start claiming facts that are not there, like it's broke.

You should know me by now, I don't just claim things, I do them, analyze them, and then make a decision... I am not speaking out of emotion, I am using logic to dictate my observations...

Reply: No, because anyone can use it, anyone........

Really? This is your defense? Hmm, seem to recall that Polymorph was a treasure card before that anyone could buy at the bazaar too... Yet, for some reason, no idea why, but I seem to think that Polymorphs were given a level restriction and are no longer sold at the Bazaar... Now, maybe I am wrong, please correct me if I am wrong... Now, I seem to recall that this was because of the posts, stating this problem... Now, some said it was not a problem, because everyone could buy them, same as Talos, yet, for some unknown reason, I don't think you can buy them now, or use them at low levels in PvP... So, if that is the case for Polymorphs, could that also not be the case for Talos?

---------------------------------

Reply: It's not a fact, it's a statement, there is a difference. Travis doesn't understand this, but you of all people should.

Fact: Myth Players do not get the Talos minion spell until Level, what? 55?
I think that is right, but my Myth was Legend, so I am not exactly positive, I think they said the new spells were for levels 35 and 55... Either way, Talos is a high Level spell, correct?

Now, Polymorphs are also high level spells yes? Are they level restricted? Gargantuan is a high level spell, yet, that is also level restricted... Now, you mean players can use a high level spell such as Talos, yet not be able to use a high level spell such as Gargantuan?

Fact is, some things need to be level restricted, to keep things fair in PvP. Now, it is of your opinion, based on what evidence, that Talos is fair? the fact that people can buy them at the bazaar? People could buy Polymorphs when they first came out too, yet they were deemed overpowered...

I have to use this quote here, and I love this quote, it is from Star Trek IV The Voyage Home...

Bones is talking to Spock; "Your best guess is better than most peoples facts!"

Reply: Yes, issue should be brought up, but they should be stated as possible problem or items that KI may want to look at to change.
Not as just the system is broke, because it's not.

Sorry, but when a low level player at any rank, mostly faces people that are 20 to 40 levels above them, something is seriously broken...

You can say it is not broke until you are blue in the face, but that does not mean it is not... The only way to get things fixed, is to admit they are broken... Not everything about PvP is broken, but some things are... I know I am taking heat on this issue, because it may not be a popular view to Legends and Warlords with Commander gear, however, I am looking at things as a whole, as I always do... Looking it from my point of view and also thinking of people who do not possess the skills that I do...

------------------------

Reply: That is what the boards are here for, not for attacking people, but for posting issues. Something a lot of people have forgotten on this board.
They really need to address the issue, and back off on the personal attacks. If they are not mature enough to stop the personal attacks, they should do some self analysis to find out why.

That is why I am here, to address issues... Now, I agree with you, some do nothing but attack people, I guess that is because they have no facts to back up their claims, so they just attack the posts...

-------------------------

Reply: Flawed in who's eyes, not the person Leveling up their player as he/she pvps. Only to the person trying to gain Warlord at a low level.
This is Travis's whole complaint, and maybe one that KI doesn't want to address, who knows. I see no where in the PvP manual, that you should be able to keep at level 5, 15, or level 30, and become a Warlord.
This is something that some would like to see changed, so they can do that.
But PvP is not broke because of it, it can still be played.
So, if you want to say it's seriously flawed, define what you mean, don't make a general statement.
If you want to see what Gtar suggested, the Bands be made, then state that, don't just say it's broke.

Joe.

Now, you stated yourself Joe: "Flawed in who's eyes, not the person Leveling up their player as he/she pvps. Only to the person trying to gain Warlord at a low level."

Why should Legendary Wizards and those that Already have Commander gear be privledged?

Now, let me ask you this... What good is commander gear to a Legendary?

What level is commander gear best for? Let me help you with this, it is best for Low Level... There is no level restrictions on commander gear. PvP was designed for everyone at all Levels and the gear proves that... Now however, PvP is being designed for only Legends and Warlords already equipped with Commander gear...

Now, how can you say, honestly, from the entire spirals point of view, look at it from all wizards, every level, every skill and say, that PvP, the match ups, the Talos card, that some things are "Not" Broken???

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
Well I just really like that peeps are starting to see that asking for low level critical block on pvp gear and downranking prevention is the best way to further strengthen low level PvP.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Darthjt,

It's not that I dont' see your points, I do. But to say something is broke, you need to have it functional in a certain way first.

Example 1, I have designed a car that goes 200 mph but has no reverse gear.
It cannot back up at all, but it is not broke, it was designed that way.

Example 2, I have a car that goes 100 mph forward and 20 mph backwards.
I put it in reverse gear, and it does nove, that is considered broken.
It was design to go backwards, and it does not, see my point.

You cannot say that PvP is broke, because it does not meet the specifications that you want. It was designed this way by KI and it works the way they disigned it, like it or not.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, and some have really opened my eyes to things that I did not understand. In this case, I stand my what I stated, it may need to be changed to be more fair, but it is not broke.

Joe,

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Darthjt,

It's not that I dont' see your points, I do. But to say something is broke, you need to have it functional in a certain way first.

Example 1, I have designed a car that goes 200 mph but has not reverse gear.
It cannot back up at all, but it is not broke, it was designed that way.

Example 2, I have a car that goes 100 mph forward and 20 mph backwards.
I put it in reverse gear, and it does nove, that is considered broken.
It was design to go backwards, and it does not, see my point.

You cannot say that PvP is broke, because it does not meet the specifications that you want. It was designed this way by KI and it works the way they disigned it, like it or not.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, and some have really opened my eyes to things that I did not understand. In this case, I stand my what I stated, it may need to be changed to be more fair, but it is not broke.

Joe,

Actually, the matching system before the point system change was no where nearly as bad as it is now...

Let me put this another way, so maybe, some of you will understand it...

Now, if you are a mid-level Warlord, and you faced maybe 2 matches out of 10 against a low level Legend, that would not be all that bad...

However, to go into PvP, during peak time hours, and be faced with Legend, after legend, after legend, when before, you mostly faced people as close to your rank and your level as possible... Yes, the que times were a lot longer before, but then again, you got more, fair matchups...

Now, some believe, that if you wait for anything over 2 minutes, you will get a mismatch. Now, if this was true, then again, it would not be so bad... Yes, much harder to get matches, because you are restarting your que all the time, but you could at least find fair matches...

However, the matchups can happen even after only a minute in que... Now, I never once complained about the wait in PvP, yet, for some reason, taking the wait away was more important that fair matchups...

So, how can you say, was not or is not broken?

Also, one other think I would like to address... I don't have so much of a problem with all Minions, yes, I do think there should be an options tab for match settings, however, what I do have a huge problem with is Talos.... This minion is not any different than Polymorphs were. They are overpowered to lower levels and should be level restricted....

These are the main things, right now, that need to be fixed...

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Darthjt,

I just got one question for you, what times do you consider peak times?

On the broken or not broken, it's all from what people expect from the game.
I have seldom run into a low level when battling, but then I have very limited times when I can pvp. I would like to pvp a lot more, but that isn't going to happen this summer.
So, I can understand someone that battles a lot, understanding this better than me. Still, people wanted faster matches, and KI changed the code to get faster matches. The code was written a certain way, and meets the requirements it was written for. You can't call that broke, becuse it's not broke, it works the way it was designed.
Now, if you want to say that the way it was designed is not the way it should be, ok, I can agree.

Joe,

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Darthjt,

I just got one question for you, what times do you consider peak times?

On the broken or not broken, it's all from what people expect from the game.
I have seldom run into a low level when battling, but then I have very limited times when I can pvp. I would like to pvp a lot more, but that isn't going to happen this summer.
So, I can understand someone that battles a lot, understanding this better than me. Still, people wanted faster matches, and KI changed the code to get faster matches. The code was written a certain way, and meets the requirements it was written for. You can't call that broke, becuse it's not broke, it works the way it was designed.
Now, if you want to say that the way it was designed is not the way it should be, ok, I can agree.

Joe,

To me, peak hours are from 7pm est to around 11pm est, that would mean, that from 4pm pacific to 8pm pacific, is usually the busiest PVP times... What does that have to do with anything?

Now, the way the match ups were before, that was the original design... Yes, it took longer to find matchups, but it was looking for specifics in a specific way and slowly ranging outward...

Now, I know some people complained about how long it takes to get matches, but nowhere near how many complaints there are now about mismatched matches... So, from being one way to another, from a point of view, it was fixed, now it is broken... Pending on your point of view...