Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Should there be a penalty for fleeing or AFKing in a match?

Yes
61% [8]
No
38% [5]

Ranked Match Flee Penalty

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
Hey there, I'm Mike. Those of you may know me as Michael Firehammer from DuelCircle.

Recently I've been thinking about the pros and cons of the 5 minute penalty timer that a player receives when they flee a ranked match.

I can see both sides to the argument. In games such as League of Legends, if you dodge a match you may receive a penalty for 5 minutes for your first "flee". If you were to dodge a match again after your first penalty within a short period of time, you will be given a 10 minute penalty. At times, it can end up lasting 20 minutes or longer.

Also in League of Legends, you may receive a similar penalty for simply going AFK in a match. In a 1v1, going AFK may not matter but in a team setting such as a 2v2, it can negatively impact your teammates performance and rank.

Currently, if you go AFK in combat you'll just keep passing. If there was some sort of penalty for going AFK in competitive, whether it happens for your next match or you receive a loss after a certain number of minutes, maybe that could be a solution to those extremely long "passing wars" or something?

The other side of the argument is how Hearthstone doesn't penalize you at all for surrendering during a match, you'll just be able to join your next match immediately. This could also be a solution for matches that someone knows they'll inevitably lose and simply wants to save time by fleeing.

I wanna hear your thoughts though, how do you feel about the current 5 minute flee penalty?

DuelCircle Media Lead Organizer! Check us out here for all things PvP! (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Michael Firehammer on May 30, 2019 wrote:
Hey there, I'm Mike. Those of you may know me as Michael Firehammer from DuelCircle.

Recently I've been thinking about the pros and cons of the 5 minute penalty timer that a player receives when they flee a ranked match.

I can see both sides to the argument. In games such as League of Legends, if you dodge a match you may receive a penalty for 5 minutes for your first "flee". If you were to dodge a match again after your first penalty within a short period of time, you will be given a 10 minute penalty. At times, it can end up lasting 20 minutes or longer.

Also in League of Legends, you may receive a similar penalty for simply going AFK in a match. In a 1v1, going AFK may not matter but in a team setting such as a 2v2, it can negatively impact your teammates performance and rank.

Currently, if you go AFK in combat you'll just keep passing. If there was some sort of penalty for going AFK in competitive, whether it happens for your next match or you receive a loss after a certain number of minutes, maybe that could be a solution to those extremely long "passing wars" or something?

The other side of the argument is how Hearthstone doesn't penalize you at all for surrendering during a match, you'll just be able to join your next match immediately. This could also be a solution for matches that someone knows they'll inevitably lose and simply wants to save time by fleeing.

I wanna hear your thoughts though, how do you feel about the current 5 minute flee penalty?
Does this penalty do enough to stop the actions it was designed for? Was it implemented to stop boosters looking to match with themselves?
I like the idea of a stacked penalty as you described in League of Legends.

Continual passing ought to penalized IF it could be proved that the player is actually AFK and not just passing to gather pips.
Perhaps a pop-up could ask "Do you want to stay in the match?" If the player is there, they can answer "Yes" but if the player is AFK and doesn't answer, then they can be ejected.
If you do flee in the current context of Ranked PVP, aren't you sacrificing the "compensation" of Arena Tickets that the loser gets?
A true surrender button could be added as in: "I want to surrender", with no penalties of loss of Tickets.
Considering how some matches can go for hours, maybe a surrender option is in order.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
anecorbie on May 30, 2019 wrote:
Does this penalty do enough to stop the actions it was designed for? Was it implemented to stop boosters looking to match with themselves?

Continual passing ought to penalized IF it could be proved that the player is actually AFK and not just passing to gather pips.
Perhaps a pop-up could ask "Do you want to stay in the match?" If the player is there, they can answer "Yes" but if the player is AFK and doesn't answer, then they can be ejected.
If you do flee in the current context of Ranked PVP, aren't you sacrificing the "compensation" of Arena Tickets that the loser gets?
A true surrender button could be added as in: "I want to surrender", with no penalties of loss of Tickets.
Considering how some matches can go for hours, maybe a surrender option is in order.
I'm in a lot of agreement with you here. Having some type of penalty to stop boosting is definitely needed and I think the 5 minute penalty does help prevent that somewhat, though like most things it isn't a perfect way to stop the problem. Having it increase each time you outright flee at the very beginning of the match would help make the penalty more effective in stopping boosting.

I also agree with your thoughts on AFK. Sometimes people don't care if they win or lose after awhile or simply draw bad hands. Rng in this game with your deck can just really stink sometimes. A pop up asking if you want to rejoin the battle happens in pve so why not pvp too?

If however this happens in a tournament setting I think that if they go afk they should not be getting a ranking in it at all. The late night tournaments often don't have all 16 slots filled and therefore people who literally just sit and do nothing can get high amounts of tickets and waste the time of people who actually want play. If you go afk in a tournament then when you are ejected from the match you should be from the tournament as well.

I also really like the idea of a surrender button. Making it available first turn would defeat the purpose, but if you maybe had the button show up as an option say 5 rounds in then it would be really nice to have. Some people don't want to play a match they know they'll lose and thanks to strategies like guardian spam and immunity setting matches can also take hours. A surrender button doesn't penalize people who have zero chance of winning due to OP strategies with very few counters.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Michael Firehammer on May 30, 2019 wrote:

The 5 minute penalty is fair. However the passing rounds doesn't mean the person is afk its called the waiting game and in chess their isn't a time penalty just a turn penalty where as the person who passes surfers unless ur up against a jade xD which in my opinion becomes frustrating and down right boredom.

In league the penalty does increase per dodge matches as i have experiences and your also place under the priorty que ban watch list. It becomes more annoying the higher the ranks game you play and each day your giving 1 free dodge que.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
anecorbie on May 30, 2019 wrote:

A surrender option will always have a penalty tied to it because your forfeiting the purpose of actually defeating your opponents. In league of legends losing matches or even surrendering(which is considered a loss) puts a hefty loss on lp which is what u get for ranking.