Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ranked level matching

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 18, 2013
193
From reading a lot of posts on the message boards it seem that a lot of people are not happy with the level gap when being pared in ranked PvP.

Just an idea but we could have tiers for ranked PvP like (up to levels 30,60,90) or (up to levels 10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90) so you can only be pared up with other wizards in your tier. It may take longer to find a match but it seems like people care about fairness more than waiting time.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
48
Exactly, except KI has been ignoring threads like this too long. If they would just take our suggestion it would be so much better. As the old business saying goes "The customer is always right."

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
364
Ghost stone on Sep 15, 2013 wrote:
From reading a lot of posts on the message boards it seem that a lot of people are not happy with the level gap when being pared in ranked PvP.

Just an idea but we could have tiers for ranked PvP like (up to levels 30,60,90) or (up to levels 10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90) so you can only be pared up with other wizards in your tier. It may take longer to find a match but it seems like people care about fairness more than waiting time.
The only problem is, you would start running out of people to face. If you have a lot of rank (1100+) you stop fighting many people around your level. They would have to pair you up with people high rank but same level, or lower rank with same level. I just think it becomes easier when you know how to defeat someone to fight people above your level.

Wolf Skullslinger

Explorer
Aug 06, 2008
71
I do a lot of promethean level pvp on my and level 10 pvp on my . I'm warlord on both, and found it works based on your level, your ranking, and flatly the number of people playing pvp at that given time. Let's say your a private at level 50 with the regular starting rating of 500. Assuming there are a lot of people playing, you will play either a lower level (30s-40s) warlord, a higher level (maybe a level 60 private with a very low rating), or someone around your level with around your rating. The idea is to match your level with your playing skill. It also makes pvp harder once you get better at it, as you will be playing higher levels. I've seen Prometheans that are private rank playing 60's that are over 1200 in rank. It basically means the better you are, the higher your ranking is, the better opponents you play. My level 10 ice consequentially plays most level 20's. I don't have a problem with this setup. What gets me is that the person you goes first often has a huge advantage over the other, but that's a different topic.
-Adam Seafist

Defender
Jan 18, 2013
193
Wolf Skullslinger on Sep 17, 2013 wrote:
The only problem is, you would start running out of people to face. If you have a lot of rank (1100+) you stop fighting many people around your level. They would have to pair you up with people high rank but same level, or lower rank with same level. I just think it becomes easier when you know how to defeat someone to fight people above your level.

Wolf Skullslinger
No! Who said that if you are rank 1100+ you need to fight people above your level? And anyway, rank is a very poor indication of how good a player someone is. Anyone can rank up as long as you win more than lose. Rank does not indicate how often you win just how often you play. Win loss ratio is not taken into consideration at all.

The game should pare you up with the closest rank available in your tier. If there is only one other player waiting to be pared in your tier and he is a warlord and you are a private then so be it.

Explorer
Jan 29, 2013
60
Ok so I would rather wait an hour for a fair match than be killed 3 times over by a promethean with hades gear. My storm is a warlord and the best she can do for a single hit is levy, how does that compare to sun serpent or owl or any of the higher spells? And now with the hades gear my gear just doesn't stand a chance against it. I have been killed so many times I have all but quit and my other friends who are also warlords are ready to throw in the towel for the same reason. So I say waiting for a fair match is way better than being unfairly paired.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2915
I would rather wait 3 hours for a match than get killed by a warlord with elite gear and pet.

my level 23 former private fought a level 60 warlord once, and almost every match is against a captain or commander~ if it's a fellow private, they're 10 levels higher. if i didn't know better, i'd think level 23 privates simply don't exist.


Explorer
Aug 06, 2008
71
Ghost stone on Sep 18, 2013 wrote:
No! Who said that if you are rank 1100+ you need to fight people above your level? And anyway, rank is a very poor indication of how good a player someone is. Anyone can rank up as long as you win more than lose. Rank does not indicate how often you win just how often you play. Win loss ratio is not taken into consideration at all.

The game should pare you up with the closest rank available in your tier. If there is only one other player waiting to be pared in your tier and he is a warlord and you are a private then so be it.
Your rank is COMPLETELY dependent on your ratio and has nothing to do with how much you play! You have it completely backwards. I've see warlords with 50 wins and 4 losses, and I've seen privates with 195 wins and 205 loses. Each win gives you rank up, each lose gives you rank down.

Defender
Jan 18, 2013
193
Thunder2Hound on Sep 18, 2013 wrote:
Your rank is COMPLETELY dependent on your ratio and has nothing to do with how much you play! You have it completely backwards. I've see warlords with 50 wins and 4 losses, and I've seen privates with 195 wins and 205 loses. Each win gives you rank up, each lose gives you rank down.
A wizard with 100 wins 0 losses will have the same rank as a wizard with 550 wins 450 losses. Both of these players will have a rank of 2100 even though one of them is clearly a way better player. One player has a win ratio of 100% and the other has a win ratio of 55%. This is not taken into consideration at all because they both are ranked as the same.

Anyone can rank up as high a they want as long as you win more than you lose. But your rank does not necessarily indicate that you are a better player than someone, just that you have played more.

The example you gave above is a bad example because you could also have a warlord of the same rank with 550 wins 504 losses. This is a ratio of close to 50 50, this is just an average player. That is why I said rank is a very poor indication of how good a player someone is.

I might make a separate thread about this

Survivor
Oct 29, 2008
1
I'm lvl 90 with a rating under 400, i get matches with people my lvl and under, but don't have to wait long, i think the current system is good. I love pvp and pvp a lot it's basically all i really do when i play, i have played many matches and also let my kids play on my account they love the game too. I think it's better with quicker matches. :)

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
191
Ghost stone on Sep 15, 2013 wrote:
From reading a lot of posts on the message boards it seem that a lot of people are not happy with the level gap when being pared in ranked PvP.

Just an idea but we could have tiers for ranked PvP like (up to levels 30,60,90) or (up to levels 10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90) so you can only be pared up with other wizards in your tier. It may take longer to find a match but it seems like people care about fairness more than waiting time.
Hey Ghost Stone. Thanks for replying to my topic, Happy you like my idea and yours is a great one too, but for the exceptional fact that, for levels only of 10 in between it would be a hard way to find matches at times, Yes it is a unfair when you as a low level fight a high level, but think of it as a opportunity to learn, there's not just full negatives into it, As for when a private fights a warlord, thats a little different, If the warlord and private are same levels I have no problem, if the warlord is a lower level there isn't much of a problem for the lower rank, but the Warlord will be upset, and when the Warlord is a higher level the lower level is upset, Either way you'll have people who are upset, and the most difficult part is of how PvP can be choosey so to speak, If you look at how many people are currently waiting for a 1v1 match you have to take into account, how many there are and how many levels there are, You enter the arena you'll find low-medium-high levels, thats basically dividing the number by 3 there, and your level system will divide it into 9, There will most likely people at levels 10, 30, 50, 60, 70, and 90, But even there thats a big dividable number, I have a Promethean, He fights level from at least 70, and other 90's by random, but whenever I fight lower levels its cause they are warlords and my is actually under private haha, he's around 431,
As for my that is a different story, my is a warlord at level 76, he fights People from level 50-90, I'm guessing cause he's in between, Sometimes I lose to the 50's sometimes I win against the 90's, I say its about the school and how much crowns your willing to put in. It already takes my a while to find a match as well as my , Not saying your idea is bad, it's a good idea, but it would increase the time to find a match by a ridiculously long time if there's no one your level, and then there's tournaments to include, Imagine trying to find a tourney of 2v2,3v3,4v4 with people just your level? It would be very hard to set up the brackets.

Hope this helped in anyway!