Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rank Points the Truest Paradox

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 15, 2009
Gamma, Professor, anyone from KI,
You have members that play this game exclusively for the pvp. I have read your arena matching and understand your explanation. We are probably a minority, but given you have players in the hundreds of thousands- it might be a considerable amount. I am not trying to downgrade the pve- for me, it was fun the first time. After maxing levels four times the only aspect that keeps me coming back is the pvp. Its brilliant. The luck of the draw and the thought that must be given into designing the deck makes it an enjoyable experience.

I know there is nothing really that can be done about the aspect that someone will always have the upper advantage of going first. The win from going second is all the better. There is however, something that has been mentioned time and time again. Not only be myself but many others. It’s an element of pvp that takes this finely crafted gaming experience down more than a few notches. Matching may be uneven in some cases I get it. As the rank gets higher apparently that will happen more often than not. I thought there was a level cap, a range that would never break, I was wrong.

To enter the cue as a level 16 and get matched against a level 50+? If there is anyone out that think this won’t happen- it will. In some cases the wait is only seconds. Warlord or not, someone with 860 health against a level 50+ with 1900 going first is the apex of being uneven. I have 4 other wizards that are 65-70 level. It’s refreshing to duel with low level wizards sometimes. I kept a couple in the 5-16 range with sole purpose of what I thought would be an opponent level cap. This is not the case.

I know there have been discussions about this for quite some time. Apparently, it has been decided that its a standard that will not change. OK fine. While unfair, it is possible regardless of how slim, this scenario is to prevail as the underdog.

It’s the point system where the ball in the structure of the pvp element is completely and utterly dropped.

To be specific: pitting a high ranked/ low level wizard against a low ranked (usually private)/ high level wizard is a scenario that is obviously not going to change. I’m sure by now you have seen the comments. A level 16 wizard against a level 50+ wizard is an uphill battle from the start. The same situation with the level 16 going second is uphill with boulders rolling down.

If with a lot of luck, a minor degree of effective strategy the level 16 wizard wins- its rather insulting to get . . . .zero, yes zero points. The game is only looking at the duel as a warlord fighting a private. There is no obvious consideration being awarded to level 16, level 16 spells going against a level 50+,level 50+ spells.

Has this been discussed with between KI staff?

Has it been discussed and found that what I am talking about is acceptable?

Is it too difficult to factor in levels in the point/rank system in the programming?

Can any of the professors please answer this question?

I understand you are probably very busy, but some kind of answer would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

I have searched to see if this has been addressed and couldn’t find anything.

I love the pvp aspect of this game. It has kept me coming back for two years now. All I am asking is if levels (not only rank) will ever be factored into the point system. There comes a point when you have so many tickets and you have every piece of pvp gear and trophy that tickets can buy. The only thing left is rank. To work hard and get easily beat by someone 30+ levels higher and lose a whole rank is tough enough. But when the only thing gained from a win is 0-2 points . . . .edit.
I value what other people have to say. This is an opinion board. It is my highest hope that one of the professors will add some insight to this paradox.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Hmmm, a system like the US college bowl rankings?

KI awards points solely on win or loss.

However, the US college bowl system weighs strength of schedule and score, as well.

It seems taking into account more than just win or loss would be harder to implement. And then there is the critics who have their own version of what should give a higher point system or not. i.e. even if the system was implemented, there would still be unhappy folks (just like in the college bowl system!!)

Not saying it isn't a good idea, but harder to execute.