Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP Unstabilized

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
In my opinion, I think that, ever since the release of Darkmoor, PvP matches have been unstabilized. What I mean by this, is that matches aren't fair anymore. Now, Shadow pips matter a lot more in PvP. That adds one major luck factor. Also, people can have unblockable (meaning that there's no surefire way of getting 100% block chance compared to the) critical percentages, reaching around 70-75%. Another major luck factor. What I find even worse is that while the meta was already driven heavily towards offense during the Hades era, KI gave us higher critical percentages, lower block percentages, significantly higher armor pierce, and overpowered hammer spells. The meta went from berserk to just utter chaos attacks.

The Darkmoor era has been the first time ever, that I've seen somebody do over 20,000 damage, without trying to stack too heavily. This was done by a Fire wizard who had used 2 different Fire Beetles, Brimstone Revenant, Fuel, Shrike, and some traps from a previous Fire From Above. With only 5 boosts, wizards are able to do 4x the amount of health of most people, and over 5x the health of Storm. I personally think that PvP needs to be rebalanced, as having "perfect stats" is far too easy to get. So, here is what I think should be done to rebalance PvP:

1) Make the Malistaire wands no PvP, nerf the armor pierce given, or simply make other wands like the Lunar Scepter of Anubis have competitive armor pierce (highly recommended). The Malistaire wand denied all use of other wands in an offensive strategy due to its overpowering amount of armor pierce, leading to a chain of low block rating, since every other wand is nearly useless now. I was more than disappointed when I figured out the crowns I spent on Hoard Pack wands meant nothing.

2) Make Shadow Enhanced spells no PvP. Simply put, with the given amounts of armor pierce and critical we have, these spells bring too much of a shift in matches. With the tools we've been given (Shrike, critical bubbles, etc), Shadow Enhanced spells are too strong to be introduced to PvP.

3) Make Khrysalis rings no PvP. All these rings have done is encouraged setting and an unbalanced amount of resist to certain schools in the Arena.

4) Make new Exalted Arena gear. I find it odd how Ice has a 0% chance to critical on a Storm wizard and a Storm wizard has ~35% chance to critical on an Ice wizard with top tier Darkmoor gear. Give Ice the highest block and the lowest critical, keep Balance in the middle, and give Storm the highest critical but lowest block rating. Also, we need more options than just pierce and damage, heal boost and block rating seems to have been forgotten with the more gear we get.

5) Make mastery amulets a better option by giving more block rating and other stats options. Everybody has been using Morganthe amulets because critical has gone far too high, and a critical Shadow Enhanced Spell is far too dangerous.

Do any of you agree with this idea on balancing PvP once again?

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
PvP King on Apr 8, 2015 wrote:
In my opinion, I think that, ever since the release of Darkmoor, PvP matches have been unstabilized. What I mean by this, is that matches aren't fair anymore. Now, Shadow pips matter a lot more in PvP. That adds one major luck factor. Also, people can have unblockable (meaning that there's no surefire way of getting 100% block chance compared to the) critical percentages, reaching around 70-75%. Another major luck factor. What I find even worse is that while the meta was already driven heavily towards offense during the Hades era, KI gave us higher critical percentages, lower block percentages, significantly higher armor pierce, and overpowered hammer spells. The meta went from berserk to just utter chaos attacks.

The Darkmoor era has been the first time ever, that I've seen somebody do over 20,000 damage, without trying to stack too heavily. This was done by a Fire wizard who had used 2 different Fire Beetles, Brimstone Revenant, Fuel, Shrike, and some traps from a previous Fire From Above. With only 5 boosts, wizards are able to do 4x the amount of health of most people, and over 5x the health of Storm. I personally think that PvP needs to be rebalanced, as having "perfect stats" is far too easy to get. So, here is what I think should be done to rebalance PvP:

1) Make the Malistaire wands no PvP, nerf the armor pierce given, or simply make other wands like the Lunar Scepter of Anubis have competitive armor pierce (highly recommended). The Malistaire wand denied all use of other wands in an offensive strategy due to its overpowering amount of armor pierce, leading to a chain of low block rating, since every other wand is nearly useless now. I was more than disappointed when I figured out the crowns I spent on Hoard Pack wands meant nothing.

2) Make Shadow Enhanced spells no PvP. Simply put, with the given amounts of armor pierce and critical we have, these spells bring too much of a shift in matches. With the tools we've been given (Shrike, critical bubbles, etc), Shadow Enhanced spells are too strong to be introduced to PvP.

3) Make Khrysalis rings no PvP. All these rings have done is encouraged setting and an unbalanced amount of resist to certain schools in the Arena.

4) Make new Exalted Arena gear. I find it odd how Ice has a 0% chance to critical on a Storm wizard and a Storm wizard has ~35% chance to critical on an Ice wizard with top tier Darkmoor gear. Give Ice the highest block and the lowest critical, keep Balance in the middle, and give Storm the highest critical but lowest block rating. Also, we need more options than just pierce and damage, heal boost and block rating seems to have been forgotten with the more gear we get.

5) Make mastery amulets a better option by giving more block rating and other stats options. Everybody has been using Morganthe amulets because critical has gone far too high, and a critical Shadow Enhanced Spell is far too dangerous.

You know, I actually agree with you in a way. I would have said it a little differently, but this is the main point. I agree with you on this matter.

Defender
Mar 10, 2014

with all the armor pierce schools like fire and storm are ruleing over the schools that cant hit as hard i think that there should be some deafenceive spells added like a sun spell +15% to shield or a spell that deflects pierce
sorry about my spelling

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Points 1-3: never going to happen-the uproar this would cause preempts any attempts to get this done(similar to the jade gear fiasco)

Point 4- Storm simply cannot survive with a lower block rating. One critical shadow enhanced spell is gg for a storm wizard without any boosts so that's a no to lower storm block rating. I do agree with giving ice higher block rating however. Agree with heal boost and block suggestions.

Point 5- Amen to this. I believe a decent solution would be to give mastery amulets more defensive jewel slots: allowing them to be competitive with the morganthe amulets.

Champion
Jan 25, 2015
I agree maybe they already thought of this and decided to hold off until next update ( my theory )

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
I haven't been on in a long time after handing my account over to my younger brother. From what I have seen coming back is that PvP is now even less strategy based that it was during the Aquila age when I stopped playing. PvP used to have such variety in strategies and play styles that are now obsolete when going against this new metagame strategy of pound your opponent into the ground. Healing is not even a thing players do anymore, your opponent can do damage to you far more efficiently that you can heal it back and this is without buffing. People were already complaining about this when Aquila gear was the meta. But what did KI do with the next update. They made it even worse by giving us even more damage pierce and critical not to mention these new broken spells. We can only hope that KI can finally learn their lesson and listen to their players so that the next update can actually take us a step closer to having a balanced PvP meta game instead of making it even more unbalanced.

The other thing about this new meta game that is not right is how extremely luck based it is. There used to be a time when you could plan your game knowing what your next couple of moves were going to be. Now you have to constantly improvise not knowing who is going to land a critical or not. Everything is just too random, The skill factor of PvP has been greatly depleted now days players jump into the arena and just hope they land more crits than the other guy. Chance is now the biggest determining factor between winning and loosing. Sure there has always been an element of chance in the game but it was never originally anything as extreme as what it is now. Winning used to mean clever deck and training point set ups, choosing your gear accordingly and most importantly playing well. Which is still semi relevant but is completely over shadowed by the fact that you have control over very little. You just need to pray to the luck Gods and hope that everything goes your way.

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
While I'm here let me tell a story of the history of the PvP metagame.
In the beginning at the release of Wizard101 PvP had a variety of relavent strategies and ways to play in order to win. Each school had it's strengths and weaknesses and there were unique play styles and stratgies that could be done with each. Some strategies were better than others but at least everyone of them had a counter. The meta game and it's strategies and schools weren't perfectly balanced but that is always to be expected with a newly released game and can always be tweaked with future updates. However as it turned out the balance and quality of challenging PvP gameplay did not turn out to be an important priority to the KI developers as we have seen in the results of many updates since. Many players including myself look back on these original days of PvP and consider them the hayday of PvP. This was a time when you could go into the arena and not expect to see the same thing over and over again.

So how did we end up with this mess that we have now? And where did all the variety go?
Well the first major unbalancing mistake KI made was the release of Jade gear. The resist that this gear gave was far too over powered to the current meta game to handle and quickly became the only relevant way to play unless you didn't mind loosing. With the release of Jade came the death of many of the original metagame strategies. Tanking was the new way to win. Games became very long and frustrating, it required a lot of patience and planning in order to win. This was the first time that the community of players were united in dislike towards a singularity in the aspects of PvP play. Although this new meta game was not as good as the hayday of PvP it was still much better than the metagame of today as at least skill and planning still played a major part in being victorious.

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
KI eventually acknowledged their PvPers and realised their mistake. They had to find a solution to fix it. Of course they simply could not just remove the Jade gear from the game, people had payed real money in order to get it. So what did they do?

More Power! much more of it.
With the release of Aquila came new gear with much greater damage, much much greater critical and a new stat called pierce which allowed us to cut through the armor of the current metagame. We had moved from the age of Jade to the age of Critical. Although KI had made an honest attempt to restore balance to the PvP metagame they over corrected too much. This new gear completely over power any kind of defences that stood against it including Jade. It's not hard to see the problem here, with Jade being the most defensive gear in the game and still not being able to stand up to this new onslaught, defences quickly became irrelevant. This new gear was now the only way to win. There was no other way to beat it other than adopt the same gear and strategy and hope that you can pound your opponent into the ground before they do it to you. Healing became pointless as your opponent could kill you faster than you can regain health and also the game became incredibly luck based with massive amounts of critical being thrown around with only mediocre block. Going into the arena meant seeing the same thing over and over again without any variety in the competitive metagame. This was also the time that I stopped playing.

Since Aquila Jade players have made a small comeback due to small improvements such as level 100 Jade gear and amulets that now give resist as well that slightly improve the already massive resist. Also although the current metagame is still hyper offensive players have been moving towards slightly mover balanced stats due to "slightly more" balanced gear from Darkmore, making players focus less on all out attack giving Jade players a small opening to come back and shine.

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
So what is the problem with the current metagame and how would I go about fixing it? Firstly KI can't simply ban gear from PvP players have worked hard to get their gear and even payed for some of it.

That aside, before we can answer this we need to know why it is broken and what causes it to be this way. The problem lies in the stats that are available to us through our gear. The first thing is that the amount of critical available to us is completely disproportionate to the block that is available. This causes the game to be heavily reliant on RNG. So the first thing that we need with new gear updates is block and a lot more of it.

The second and final point I would like to make is that the stats on the gear is unbalanced. All of the decent gear is far too offensive while the other decent gear (Jade) is far too defensive. I feel like the limits of offenses and defences have been breached and should not be exceeded any further. What I mean by this is that if a Jade player is capable of getting 85% resist then stop releasing new gear that would make it possible to get more. The same goes with offensive stats. Of course the limits will be different depending on which school you are playing but any new gear should not allow these stats to go higher than they already are. If it is necessary to release level 110 Jade gear then give all of it's stats a slight increase except of resist so that these extreme resistance limits cannot be made possible to be higher.

If KI wants to keep bringing us more powerful gear with each up date then bring us gear that is both decent in offence and defence. Something not quite as offensively powerful as the current Darkmore and Aquila gear and not quite as defensivly powerful as Jade but much more powerful overall because it is good at both. But most importantly it will be balanced. Then maybe we will have a chance at a balanced metagame again.

Sorry for taking up so much of the thread.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Eric Stormbringer on Apr 9, 2015 wrote:
Points 1-3: never going to happen-the uproar this would cause preempts any attempts to get this done(similar to the jade gear fiasco)

Point 4- Storm simply cannot survive with a lower block rating. One critical shadow enhanced spell is gg for a storm wizard without any boosts so that's a no to lower storm block rating. I do agree with giving ice higher block rating however. Agree with heal boost and block suggestions.

Point 5- Amen to this. I believe a decent solution would be to give mastery amulets more defensive jewel slots: allowing them to be competitive with the morganthe amulets.
Sadly, I agree that points 1-3 won't happen either, no matter how much of a benefit they actually are to PvP.

About point 4, I didn't mean make block rating lower for Storm wizards. It would be nicer to simply reduce the critical ratings given by some wands and increase block rating more, such as for Ice, 50 critical and 160 block wouldn't be too bad, but I think every school should get less critical percentages than Storm wand-wise, while getting an increase in block rating.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Ghoststone posted a pretty succinct summary. The beginning of the end of old school PvP came with Jade Gear and to a lesser extent ice's fire+storm resist. Instead of owning up to the mistake and nerfing the gear; every update since then has been an attempt to alleviate the mess created with that gear set.)from reshuffle to the secind age to pierce to shadow magic). The most balanced meta's in the game existed in pre-Celestia and Avalon(before jade and excluding ice's storm/fire immunity). I hope we can have metas that balanced again.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Some folks really adapt well to change, and some take longer to adjust.

Instead of nerfing everything, why not simply have multiple pvp categories that lets you pvp under different conditions and options:

PVP Matches with just the basic gear and spells that first came out with pvp.

PVP Matches with all the bells and whistles for the hardcore players able and capable to put on their big wizard pants and bring it!

PVP Matches with scaling gear, spells, and pets, so you decide what is or isn't allowed.

PVP Candyland for players only able to handle the most mild of PVP matches and requirements

PVP UBER - only for the serious uber hard core players. This means anything goes, so you have access to the best gear, pets, and spell; and you're not afraid to use what works to win!

Other PVP Fantasy Match Set up

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Ghoststone posted a pretty succinct summary. The beginning of the end of old school PvP came with Jade Gear and to a lesser extent ice's fire+storm resist. Instead of owning up to the mistake and nerfing the gear; every update since then has been an attempt to alleviate the mess created with that gear set.)from reshuffle to the secind age to pierce to shadow magic). The most balanced meta's in the game existed in pre-Celestia and Avalon(before jade and excluding ice's storm/fire immunity). I hope we can have metas that balanced again.
What I'm afraid of is that I don't think we can actually have a balanced meta like those days anymore. Until "normal" gear gives as much resist (or a massive health difference) as Jade gear (obviously with incredible amounts of armor pierce and damage), the meta will always be a complete split between "offense is too high" or "turtles are too hard." I also think that Shadow Enhanced Spells will always remain to be overpowered until a greater form of pip is created and the efficiency of these spells go away, but if that isn't the case, then our hardcore offense meta will remain a hardcore offense forever.

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
PvP King on Apr 9, 2015 wrote:
What I'm afraid of is that I don't think we can actually have a balanced meta like those days anymore. Until "normal" gear gives as much resist (or a massive health difference) as Jade gear (obviously with incredible amounts of armor pierce and damage), the meta will always be a complete split between "offense is too high" or "turtles are too hard." I also think that Shadow Enhanced Spells will always remain to be overpowered until a greater form of pip is created and the efficiency of these spells go away, but if that isn't the case, then our hardcore offense meta will remain a hardcore offense forever.
Maybe we won't get a balanced metagame like that straight away, but if KI works with it's players with each update then we will be constantly moving in a direction of improvement. For a start I feel like just having greater health and healing boost will get us heading in the right direction. And of course much greater block. KI is currently testing sockets in test realm right now. My suggestion to them would be to increase the amount of health, block and heal boost in/out given by their respected gems compared to other gems stats. This way we will be making a start in heading towards a balanced PvP.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Ghost stone on Apr 11, 2015 wrote:
Maybe we won't get a balanced metagame like that straight away, but if KI works with it's players with each update then we will be constantly moving in a direction of improvement. For a start I feel like just having greater health and healing boost will get us heading in the right direction. And of course much greater block. KI is currently testing sockets in test realm right now. My suggestion to them would be to increase the amount of health, block and heal boost in/out given by their respected gems compared to other gems stats. This way we will be making a start in heading towards a balanced PvP.
The current problem with this is once again that jade gear exists. To achieve a balanced meta they need to adopt a multifaceted approach:

-Increase block across the board: This was something I addressed back here in 2011:Critical/Block and the lvl cap.

-Limit jade gears resist/block/health stats: Jade gears resist/block should be capped at it's current lvl and begin to receive other non-defensive benefits as the lvl cap rises: Such benefits include power pip chance or item cards(2 rebirths instead of 1). This will allow a gradual fade away for jades effectiveness as the level cap rises.

-Increase heal boost while simultaneously creating a mechanic that allows critical heals to be blocked: This seems counterproductive but it makes sense. As critical continually rises schools with natural and reliable critical heals(balance and life) pull ahead significantly since a critical heal on it's own is already 100% heal boost. As heal boost increases we need a mechanic to limit critical heals so that the playing field begins to lvl off in terms of heal potential.

-Give schools the tools they are missing not OP spells: This is a hugely important point-When a school is struggling or simply stuck in neutral the solution is not to give them a massively overpowered spell as this only temporarily addresses the problems while creating whole new ones. The solution is to give them well balanced tools that they are missing that would compliment their playstyle without creating a huge meta shuffle.

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
Eric Stormbringer on Apr 12, 2015 wrote:
The current problem with this is once again that jade gear exists. To achieve a balanced meta they need to adopt a multifaceted approach:

-Increase block across the board: This was something I addressed back here in 2011:Critical/Block and the lvl cap.

-Limit jade gears resist/block/health stats: Jade gears resist/block should be capped at it's current lvl and begin to receive other non-defensive benefits as the lvl cap rises: Such benefits include power pip chance or item cards(2 rebirths instead of 1). This will allow a gradual fade away for jades effectiveness as the level cap rises.

-Increase heal boost while simultaneously creating a mechanic that allows critical heals to be blocked: This seems counterproductive but it makes sense. As critical continually rises schools with natural and reliable critical heals(balance and life) pull ahead significantly since a critical heal on it's own is already 100% heal boost. As heal boost increases we need a mechanic to limit critical heals so that the playing field begins to lvl off in terms of heal potential.

-Give schools the tools they are missing not OP spells: This is a hugely important point-When a school is struggling or simply stuck in neutral the solution is not to give them a massively overpowered spell as this only temporarily addresses the problems while creating whole new ones. The solution is to give them well balanced tools that they are missing that would compliment their playstyle without creating a huge meta shuffle.
What you said about limiting future Jade gear is exactly what I was trying to say. But you said it much better.

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
Fred Frost on Apr 8, 2015 wrote:
with all the armor pierce schools like fire and storm are ruleing over the schools that cant hit as hard i think that there should be some deafenceive spells added like a sun spell +15% to shield or a spell that deflects pierce
sorry about my spelling
I agree "be better" was spear shield "enchanced spear shield" spear shield was a tower shield type

"voting list" every name who vote who want resist armor pierce "who vote it" should get the spell

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
doesn't matter because of resist unless vs overprower armor pierce and ice not only school would have high resist and storm same high resist as ice and storm was a tank wizard?

ice have more resist to others school not just storm/fire and I am "ICE" able get immunity for others school not just fire/storm!

use jade gear able get: immunity myth or immunity life or immunity death also immunity balance "have balance resist pet" go for balance

Survivor
Nov 26, 2010

I absolutely agree with everything you say. In fact, I wish they would remove the new shadow enhanced spells from PVP. These new spells are ridiculously strong. They have made my opponents very predictable and boring, its usually shrike or infall and then start spamming the new shadow enhanced spells. And I agree they should nerf the pierce (especially for storm).

Edward DragonFlame lvl 100

Explorer
Oct 23, 2011

I agree at 100%. The new spells are too strong and should be removed of PvP. Those OP spells totally changed the exalted PvP.