Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

pvp should never have existed.

AuthorMessage
Hero
Dec 16, 2009
773
Dr Von on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:
Samuel said: why should I have to feel terrible in a family friendly game? why should I have kids acting horribly towards me because I didn't decide to waste my life grinding to warlord as a magus spellcaster?

This is a valid point.Why would a family game not only permit, but encourage, kids to make their peers feel bad about themselves? Encouraging healthy competition is just as easy as encouraging pettiness and terrible attitudes; stop placing PvP'ers on a pedestal, and that's half the problem solved.

I hate crafting and gardening almost as much as I hate PvP, so I use the opportunity to work on my other wizards.

I hate sore losers, but sore winners are ten times worse: they gloat, they bring friends in to taunt from the sidelines, and are just generally unpleasant to be around. And, the higher the wizard's rank, the more massively inflated his (or her) ego is; there is nothing fun about it, and I'd gladly avail myself of that toxic sludge pit if Khrysalis weren't such a soul-sucking piece of work. But I digress.

-von
exalted
magus veteran
That is the thing, PvP does not encourage these behaviors. All PvP does is provide a venue for those who are competitive and seek a challenge. The bad attitudes etc are the results of the players not the system. As or the pedestal, I really don't see it. How are we placed on a pedestal? All that happens when you gain warlord is a badge.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
773
Samuel Wolfe on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:
Molly it is hard to think positive about an aspect of the game that draws out the worst in everyone regardless if they are the winner or the loser. and I honestly think you didn't even bother to read my post at all, you just saw the title and decided to jump in with your rant.

if you haven't read what I wrote, then don't make a comment.

@Dr. Von

I whole heartedly agree with you. If we didn't have it so people who PvP were basically being labeled as the better part of wizard101 I really wouldn't have a problem with that. I am tired of having a bunch of low levels thinking they are the greatest thing since Elvis Pressley because they are a high rank in PvP. it grates on my nerves to the point where I avoid anything and anyone having to do with PvP
Perhaps it draws out the worst in you and other but it draws out the best in me. My best strategies, my most memorable moments, some of my best friends were all made in PvP. Simply because you do not enjoy it does not justify taking that experience away from me and others like me.

Historian
May 15, 2009
673
Eric Stormbringer on May 1, 2014 wrote:
Perhaps it draws out the worst in you and other but it draws out the best in me. My best strategies, my most memorable moments, some of my best friends were all made in PvP. Simply because you do not enjoy it does not justify taking that experience away from me and others like me.
I have to point out that more harm is brought out through PvP than good. you can't tell me you have never run into players who are nasty and rude no matter if they win or lose.

if they win they act very snobbish about it thinking they are the best thing ever and will spit upon you calling you lame.

or if they lose they call you a noob, saying you just got lucky, refusing to own up to the fact it was just not in their favor.

if you can prove to me that there are more good players than bad out there, then maybe i'll would reconsider my stance on this, but until then I am going to remain firmly in favor of having this pit of evil moved as far away from me as possible in place of something better.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
Hi Samuel,

I understand your frustration, and I offer a suggestion:

Make a new wizard to keep yourself amused and occupied for the downtime between content expansions. When that wizard reaches level 10 or so, take him/her to pvp and check out the fun that is low level combat.

I speak from personal experience.

Warmest Regards,

Iridian Shadowweaver

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2929
Since some people seem to have misunderstood my post, allow me to clarify:

Not once did I say that PvP should be removed; some people like it, others don't, and that's fine. I simply questioned why KI permits such poor behaviour.

Although I'm aware that PvP itself is not what turns people into jerks, I also feel that not enough is being done to prevent people from lashing out at each other in ways that are hurtful: "being mean" is not a reportable offense, and people take advantage of that.

I think that, if KI made a few changes, a lot of the problems would disappear. For example, if friends who ported in to watch a duel were automatically "muted" from the minute they entered the arena until the minute they left, that would stop the jeering and taunting that I know goes on in there.

I'm a big girl; I can take whatever lame "insults" people throw my way, but what if the person on the receiving end of those barbs is a 10-year-old kid? What if the person you just called "a sad fat dragon with no friends" is someone with autism, anxiety, or a heart condition?

All I ask is that KI take a more-active role in protecting the people behind the pixels.

-von

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2929
Eric said: As for the pedestal, I really don't see it. How are we placed on a pedestal? All that happens when you gain warlord is a badge.

Yes, we get titles. And elite gear. And PvP-only pets. And easier access to super-rare reagents... the list goes on.

People who don't PvP don't have access to any of these things. And, though I don't play Pirate101, my friends there have said that an in-game character gives a speech on how we're superior to players who don't PvP. Sounds like a PvPedestal to me.

-von
magus veteran

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
773
Samuel Wolfe on May 1, 2014 wrote:
I have to point out that more harm is brought out through PvP than good. you can't tell me you have never run into players who are nasty and rude no matter if they win or lose.

if they win they act very snobbish about it thinking they are the best thing ever and will spit upon you calling you lame.

or if they lose they call you a noob, saying you just got lucky, refusing to own up to the fact it was just not in their favor.

if you can prove to me that there are more good players than bad out there, then maybe i'll would reconsider my stance on this, but until then I am going to remain firmly in favor of having this pit of evil moved as far away from me as possible in place of something better.
I disagree that more harm is being done than good. I have encountered rude players. Luckily I can ignore it or use the handy ignore button if it becomes too bothersome. I can't prove to you that there are more "good" people than "bad" in the arena however I do know there are very many players who are all for sportsmanship and a good time. See: Sportsmanship.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
Dr Von on May 2, 2014 wrote:
Since some people seem to have misunderstood my post, allow me to clarify:

Not once did I say that PvP should be removed; some people like it, others don't, and that's fine. I simply questioned why KI permits such poor behaviour.

Although I'm aware that PvP itself is not what turns people into jerks, I also feel that not enough is being done to prevent people from lashing out at each other in ways that are hurtful: "being mean" is not a reportable offense, and people take advantage of that.

I think that, if KI made a few changes, a lot of the problems would disappear. For example, if friends who ported in to watch a duel were automatically "muted" from the minute they entered the arena until the minute they left, that would stop the jeering and taunting that I know goes on in there.

I'm a big girl; I can take whatever lame "insults" people throw my way, but what if the person on the receiving end of those barbs is a 10-year-old kid? What if the person you just called "a sad fat dragon with no friends" is someone with autism, anxiety, or a heart condition?

All I ask is that KI take a more-active role in protecting the people behind the pixels.

-von
I agree for the most part. A lot of abuse in the PvP arena could be easily solved. Make spectators chat invisible to the combatants. They can talk all they like among themselves, but the duelists never see it. Only allow the duelists to see chat between themself and the other duelists. There really is no reason for outsiders being able to talk to the duelists anyways. Let friends talk trash to opposing friends, let them have their fun bragging about their friends kicking butt or whatever, but since the duelists can't see it it would have no bearing on the bout. It really should be that simple to solve.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
773
Dr Von on May 2, 2014 wrote:
Eric said: As for the pedestal, I really don't see it. How are we placed on a pedestal? All that happens when you gain warlord is a badge.

Yes, we get titles. And elite gear. And PvP-only pets. And easier access to super-rare reagents... the list goes on.

People who don't PvP don't have access to any of these things. And, though I don't play Pirate101, my friends there have said that an in-game character gives a speech on how we're superior to players who don't PvP. Sounds like a PvPedestal to me.

-von
magus veteran
That isn't being put on a pedestal that is being rewarded for doing an activity, similar to the rewards from questing and farming. Pet Derby participants receive many of the same benefits yet I hardly see many claim that they are being put on a pedestal. I do play Pirate 101 and I certainly have not heard a speech that claims superiority from any in game character.

Historian
May 15, 2009
673
Dr Von on May 2, 2014 wrote:
Since some people seem to have misunderstood my post, allow me to clarify:

Not once did I say that PvP should be removed; some people like it, others don't, and that's fine. I simply questioned why KI permits such poor behaviour.

Although I'm aware that PvP itself is not what turns people into jerks, I also feel that not enough is being done to prevent people from lashing out at each other in ways that are hurtful: "being mean" is not a reportable offense, and people take advantage of that.

I think that, if KI made a few changes, a lot of the problems would disappear. For example, if friends who ported in to watch a duel were automatically "muted" from the minute they entered the arena until the minute they left, that would stop the jeering and taunting that I know goes on in there.

I'm a big girl; I can take whatever lame "insults" people throw my way, but what if the person on the receiving end of those barbs is a 10-year-old kid? What if the person you just called "a sad fat dragon with no friends" is someone with autism, anxiety, or a heart condition?

All I ask is that KI take a more-active role in protecting the people behind the pixels.

-von
this is all I am asking for really. honestly I could care less if they leave PvP in the game, but of they could make it better for everyone, not just gameplay wise, but making so kids aren't leaving ont he verge of tears because of the horrendous behavior of some of the players.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
773
Dr Von on May 2, 2014 wrote:
Since some people seem to have misunderstood my post, allow me to clarify:

Not once did I say that PvP should be removed; some people like it, others don't, and that's fine. I simply questioned why KI permits such poor behaviour.

Although I'm aware that PvP itself is not what turns people into jerks, I also feel that not enough is being done to prevent people from lashing out at each other in ways that are hurtful: "being mean" is not a reportable offense, and people take advantage of that.

I think that, if KI made a few changes, a lot of the problems would disappear. For example, if friends who ported in to watch a duel were automatically "muted" from the minute they entered the arena until the minute they left, that would stop the jeering and taunting that I know goes on in there.

I'm a big girl; I can take whatever lame "insults" people throw my way, but what if the person on the receiving end of those barbs is a 10-year-old kid? What if the person you just called "a sad fat dragon with no friends" is someone with autism, anxiety, or a heart condition?

All I ask is that KI take a more-active role in protecting the people behind the pixels.

-von
I agree with this, simple bystander chat filters could greatly improve the arena experience. If bystanders want to chat with their friends then they can easily use private chat. Another option would be to simply add a disable all arena chat option in the menu so those who do want to listen to bystanders can and those who don't do not have to.

Historian
May 15, 2009
673
Eric Stormbringer on May 2, 2014 wrote:
That isn't being put on a pedestal that is being rewarded for doing an activity, similar to the rewards from questing and farming. Pet Derby participants receive many of the same benefits yet I hardly see many claim that they are being put on a pedestal. I do play Pirate 101 and I certainly have not heard a speech that claims superiority from any in game character.
well when was the last time you saw someone going around boasting about being skilled in the pet derby?
it's focus is more on the competitive spirit itself and most of the players who actively participate in PVP I bet very rarely ever set foot in the pet derby.

but I have to disagree with you about PVP because it really does put these players on a kind of pedestal. you may not see it, but anyone who doesn't set foot in PvP as often as you can see how they act and how they are treated and how they benefit from PvP.

i'd try to ask you see PvP from an outsiders point of view.

what would you think if you came into wizard101 and saw a group of "warlords" treating others like dirt because they aren't as highly ranked or don't pvp at all?

how would you feel if, despite them not even knowing you, decide you are worthless because you don't have some silly badge or wasted much of your time in some content that isn't worth jack squat?

you may think that a lot of players are all about sportsmanship and having fun, but I have a lot of experience with PvP, not just in this game, but in many MMOs I have played.

I have a lot of experience on what kind of behavior is brought out by PvP and I have never really been able to enjoy it because so many players got hot under the collar or get a massively inflated ego over something so trivial.

and whether you'd like to believe it or not a good many players have had their experiences in wizard101 ruined because of players like that.

I honestly don't really care what you believe at this point, but you can't tell me what I have and have not seen in the arena. a large majority of it being a bunch of rude nasty players with a terrible attitude regardless of whether they win or lose and often times they have friends who are just as nasty. you have people sitting in the stands booing you and throwing out crude and hateful remarks.

no one should have to deal with behavior like that, especially any kids who play this game. they see others acting that way and what do they do? they emulate that behavior.

cruelty and anger is a nasty chain of events. kids are very impressionable and if they see people treating each other so horribly, then they are going to start behaving the same way. hence why you only ever see older players using PvP a majority of the time. I guarantee it's because most kids up and left after being harassed by some immature player who can't keep his act together over a video game.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
773
Samuel Wolfe on May 3, 2014 wrote:
well when was the last time you saw someone going around boasting about being skilled in the pet derby?
it's focus is more on the competitive spirit itself and most of the players who actively participate in PVP I bet very rarely ever set foot in the pet derby.

but I have to disagree with you about PVP because it really does put these players on a kind of pedestal. you may not see it, but anyone who doesn't set foot in PvP as often as you can see how they act and how they are treated and how they benefit from PvP.

i'd try to ask you see PvP from an outsiders point of view.

what would you think if you came into wizard101 and saw a group of "warlords" treating others like dirt because they aren't as highly ranked or don't pvp at all?

how would you feel if, despite them not even knowing you, decide you are worthless because you don't have some silly badge or wasted much of your time in some content that isn't worth jack squat?

you may think that a lot of players are all about sportsmanship and having fun, but I have a lot of experience with PvP, not just in this game, but in many MMOs I have played.

I have a lot of experience on what kind of behavior is brought out by PvP and I have never really been able to enjoy it because so many players got hot under the collar or get a massively inflated ego over something so trivial.

and whether you'd like to believe it or not a good many players have had their experiences in wizard101 ruined because of players like that.

I honestly don't really care what you believe at this point, but you can't tell me what I have and have not seen in the arena. a large majority of it being a bunch of rude nasty players with a terrible attitude regardless of whether they win or lose and often times they have friends who are just as nasty. you have people sitting in the stands booing you and throwing out crude and hateful remarks.

no one should have to deal with behavior like that, especially any kids who play this game. they see others acting that way and what do they do? they emulate that behavior.

cruelty and anger is a nasty chain of events. kids are very impressionable and if they see people treating each other so horribly, then they are going to start behaving the same way. hence why you only ever see older players using PvP a majority of the time. I guarantee it's because most kids up and left after being harassed by some immature player who can't keep his act together over a video game.
I agree with you here, the abuse and misbehavior of certain players is definitely cause for concern. The solution for that is implementation of controls not a removal of the arena. Don't punish the innocent along with the guilty.

Explorer
Sep 24, 2011
89
If you dont enjoy pvp then dont do it. I myself have actually found myself in a situation much like yours. I hated losing and i just couldnt win. You see, i do two against two and it works out pretty well. Practice makes perfect i guess. You have to play to your strengths. Pvp may sound like a horrible disaster ,but it really just built my mental skills, and strategic thinking. Now that i can concentrate on my opponents weaksnesses i can win. I am no fancy geared low lvl warlord. I am a regular gear decent lvl Warlord. Just keep trying, you'll get there.
Sophia Sparklestone, Pet and Pvp Warlord. Lvl 79

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
Samuel Wolfe on May 3, 2014 wrote:
well when was the last time you saw someone going around boasting about being skilled in the pet derby?
it's focus is more on the competitive spirit itself and most of the players who actively participate in PVP I bet very rarely ever set foot in the pet derby.

but I have to disagree with you about PVP because it really does put these players on a kind of pedestal. you may not see it, but anyone who doesn't set foot in PvP as often as you can see how they act and how they are treated and how they benefit from PvP.

i'd try to ask you see PvP from an outsiders point of view.

what would you think if you came into wizard101 and saw a group of "warlords" treating others like dirt because they aren't as highly ranked or don't pvp at all?

how would you feel if, despite them not even knowing you, decide you are worthless because you don't have some silly badge or wasted much of your time in some content that isn't worth jack squat?

you may think that a lot of players are all about sportsmanship and having fun, but I have a lot of experience with PvP, not just in this game, but in many MMOs I have played.

I have a lot of experience on what kind of behavior is brought out by PvP and I have never really been able to enjoy it because so many players got hot under the collar or get a massively inflated ego over something so trivial.

and whether you'd like to believe it or not a good many players have had their experiences in wizard101 ruined because of players like that.

I honestly don't really care what you believe at this point, but you can't tell me what I have and have not seen in the arena. a large majority of it being a bunch of rude nasty players with a terrible attitude regardless of whether they win or lose and often times they have friends who are just as nasty. you have people sitting in the stands booing you and throwing out crude and hateful remarks.

no one should have to deal with behavior like that, especially any kids who play this game. they see others acting that way and what do they do? they emulate that behavior.

cruelty and anger is a nasty chain of events. kids are very impressionable and if they see people treating each other so horribly, then they are going to start behaving the same way. hence why you only ever see older players using PvP a majority of the time. I guarantee it's because most kids up and left after being harassed by some immature player who can't keep his act together over a video game.
If people are making fun of others because of their low rank then report them or mute them. That's why it's there. PvP should not be taken from the game because some people don't feel the need to use the report or mute button when someone makes fun of them. People will make fun of others about anything in the game. I have countlessly seen people made fun of because their gear is bad or leave people out of a team for their dungeon for the same reason. So, what are we going to do about that? Remove the game altogether? Instead of focusing on this pointless idea of removing pvp (which KI won't do), why don't we focus on removing the people who bring this turmoil to the game? I bet KI would be more than willing to rid the game of immature players.

Historian
May 15, 2009
673
Eric Stormbringer on May 4, 2014 wrote:
I agree with you here, the abuse and misbehavior of certain players is definitely cause for concern. The solution for that is implementation of controls not a removal of the arena. Don't punish the innocent along with the guilty.
unfortunately no one is ever truly innocent in such an environment. even if you aren't responsible for being cruel, the people who don't bicker don't do anything to try and stop it either.

Curses come home to roost as an old saying goes.

I wouldn't be surprised if a parent kicked up this issue with King's Isle.

honestly if things aren't improved then ultimately it will likely be the death of PvP

Historian
May 15, 2009
673
stormninja542 on May 5, 2014 wrote:
If people are making fun of others because of their low rank then report them or mute them. That's why it's there. PvP should not be taken from the game because some people don't feel the need to use the report or mute button when someone makes fun of them. People will make fun of others about anything in the game. I have countlessly seen people made fun of because their gear is bad or leave people out of a team for their dungeon for the same reason. So, what are we going to do about that? Remove the game altogether? Instead of focusing on this pointless idea of removing pvp (which KI won't do), why don't we focus on removing the people who bring this turmoil to the game? I bet KI would be more than willing to rid the game of immature players.
it's easy to say that now, but in the heat of the moment you are not really thinking about that. and many kids do not automatically have "oh I should ignore them" as the first thought in their mind. they get upset or start crying or will turn around and treat others the same way.

you need to figure out what is best for the kids in a situation like this rather than what you want.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
Samuel Wolfe on May 6, 2014 wrote:
it's easy to say that now, but in the heat of the moment you are not really thinking about that. and many kids do not automatically have "oh I should ignore them" as the first thought in their mind. they get upset or start crying or will turn around and treat others the same way.

you need to figure out what is best for the kids in a situation like this rather than what you want.
Ok so YOU want pvp taken away because it brings out the worst in people but yet you tell ME to come up with an idea to find out what's best for controlling those situations. You created this post so I want to here your idea for this other than removing pvp from the game.

Historian
May 15, 2009
673
stormninja542 on May 8, 2014 wrote:
Ok so YOU want pvp taken away because it brings out the worst in people but yet you tell ME to come up with an idea to find out what's best for controlling those situations. You created this post so I want to here your idea for this other than removing pvp from the game.
removing PvP is probably the simplest solution to a problem such as this, though you don't care to listen to me because all you care about is fighting each other to the death in an arena.

and my last sentence "you need to figure out what is best for the kids in a situation like this rather than what you want."

I was speaking in a general sense, not just referring to PvP. This game was created and is well known for it's family friendly gameplay, this means it was designed not just for older people, but for children as well. If such a thing comes into the game that disrupts the family fun, then you start losing players, you have upset parents, crying kids and everything starts going downhill in a hurry.

I can understand King's Isle wanting to bring out a more competitive spirit in the dedicated player group, but when we are left with nothing, but an arena filled with people who are what a few of my friends as "try-hard players" then this game pretty much loses all it's appeal outside of new world content.

-----
(Definition)
Try-Hard: A term used to reference any player who takes a video game with such seriousness that they often cannot take a situation where something deviates from their wants and desires and will get upset and often be vocally rude or nasty towards others. These are also the same people who often get an inflated ego over having "skills" as some call it in a game based on luck and not real strategy. They often like to ridicule others who can't keep up with such a rigid play style, or they will attack and harass those who beat them at their own game and they can't handle a defeat gracefully.

-----
My ideal gaming community would be one with multiple games for people to occupy their time in a world such as wizard101, so they don't feel like they have to torture themselves with PvP in the Arena just to get their money's worth of content to satisfy paying for a month of subscription.

They already took a step in the right direction with housing games such as fire elf tag. It encourages a competitive fun environment that doesn't end with players crying or upset and harassing each other. However this tag game is only a small piece of content and isn't really a stable type of game suitable for keeping someone occupied for weeks or months between content updates. I honestly could not see someone spending hours playing tag in Wizard101, it would grow very stale after a few games.

Personally I probably could sit down and come up with a list of ideas to make the game more fun and longer lasting, but I don't know if you realize it, but people like me have a lot of things to do other than sitting down in a gaming forum all day. I have to do housework and look for stable employment, on top of other things on an ever growing list of things I must do in my life.

If I can get a chance to sit down and write down a few ideas, I'd be more than happy to, but isn't that what King's Isle employees are paid to do? come up with fun ideas?

Explorer
Sep 24, 2011
89
Samuel Wolfe on May 8, 2014 wrote:
removing PvP is probably the simplest solution to a problem such as this, though you don't care to listen to me because all you care about is fighting each other to the death in an arena.

and my last sentence "you need to figure out what is best for the kids in a situation like this rather than what you want."

I was speaking in a general sense, not just referring to PvP. This game was created and is well known for it's family friendly gameplay, this means it was designed not just for older people, but for children as well. If such a thing comes into the game that disrupts the family fun, then you start losing players, you have upset parents, crying kids and everything starts going downhill in a hurry.

I can understand King's Isle wanting to bring out a more competitive spirit in the dedicated player group, but when we are left with nothing, but an arena filled with people who are what a few of my friends as "try-hard players" then this game pretty much loses all it's appeal outside of new world content.

-----
(Definition)
Try-Hard: A term used to reference any player who takes a video game with such seriousness that they often cannot take a situation where something deviates from their wants and desires and will get upset and often be vocally rude or nasty towards others. These are also the same people who often get an inflated ego over having "skills" as some call it in a game based on luck and not real strategy. They often like to ridicule others who can't keep up with such a rigid play style, or they will attack and harass those who beat them at their own game and they can't handle a defeat gracefully.

-----
My ideal gaming community would be one with multiple games for people to occupy their time in a world such as wizard101, so they don't feel like they have to torture themselves with PvP in the Arena just to get their money's worth of content to satisfy paying for a month of subscription.

They already took a step in the right direction with housing games such as fire elf tag. It encourages a competitive fun environment that doesn't end with players crying or upset and harassing each other. However this tag game is only a small piece of content and isn't really a stable type of game suitable for keeping someone occupied for weeks or months between content updates. I honestly could not see someone spending hours playing tag in Wizard101, it would grow very stale after a few games.

Personally I probably could sit down and come up with a list of ideas to make the game more fun and longer lasting, but I don't know if you realize it, but people like me have a lot of things to do other than sitting down in a gaming forum all day. I have to do housework and look for stable employment, on top of other things on an ever growing list of things I must do in my life.

If I can get a chance to sit down and write down a few ideas, I'd be more than happy to, but isn't that what King's Isle employees are paid to do? come up with fun ideas?
There are many opposing opinions here. If you don't like pvp dont do it. If you enjoy it, then do it. Its obvious that many people do enjoy pvp but just think about it. If you just ignore pvp and dont do it because you dont like it, why would they have to remove it? I'm not looking to start a fight but i am just trying to put out there that just because you may not like it then maybe other people do. I honestly am not a big fan of it either but i just dont do it. I quest instead. Before you post something like this think about other peoples interests. Or, new ideas to tell us. The whole thing is simple, don't pvp.

Sophia SparklestoneLvl 92

Historian
May 15, 2009
673
SophiaSparklstone on May 12, 2014 wrote:
There are many opposing opinions here. If you don't like pvp dont do it. If you enjoy it, then do it. Its obvious that many people do enjoy pvp but just think about it. If you just ignore pvp and dont do it because you dont like it, why would they have to remove it? I'm not looking to start a fight but i am just trying to put out there that just because you may not like it then maybe other people do. I honestly am not a big fan of it either but i just dont do it. I quest instead. Before you post something like this think about other peoples interests. Or, new ideas to tell us. The whole thing is simple, don't pvp.

Sophia SparklestoneLvl 92
I assume you really didn't take a look at the other posts I have made on this thread. outside questing ( to which I have already finished khrysalis part 2) there is almost nothing to do save for the Arena, which honestly no one should feel they need to go there to get their money's worth of subscription.

it is like saying "Well you don't 'have' to do it, but it's the only real optional content we offer." that is basically pushing a "you must play it to get your money's worth" type of mindset into a lot of players, even if they dislike it they will force themselves to play os they don't feel like they wasted their own money or the money of a parent, guardian, etc

Defender
Apr 21, 2012
100
stormninja542 on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:
For all those who feel pvp should be removed from the game, stop and actually think about how it would effect others. This silly idea of removing pvp from the game will accomplish what for you? If you think it will make people nicer then that may be true, but only true in the arena. Outside of the arena people rarely gloat or act like sore losers etc. So, if you don't want to be in an environment where people gloat, and there are sore losers and sore winners then don't pvp. Just think if you use this simple solution it won't be selfish like this selfish idea. So, if you are bored after you complete the game then just come up with new ideas for the game. Make it an optional idea where people don't gloat or aren't sore losers. It's ok to feel mad that pvp exists in this game, but if you would stop and take some time to cool down, then you would know how selfish and absolutely pointless this idea is.
Rarely gloat or act like sore losers? That's why all those misconduct reports happen after a match. Must also be the reason I flat out refuse to go into a dungeon with anyone flying a warlord flag. I love being called a noob by someone whom I end up having to heal within 4-6 rounds. While i agree it is silly to try to remove it, almost as silly as trying to "fix" it, you would think the "brain trust" at Kings Isle could differentiate between a bug, a problem, and someone just whining.

Obviously not the case.

Strategy is simple, bottom line, and no i don't mean blade, trap, trap, critical, yay we win. Real strategy is trying to prevent or undo whatever your opponent has done. It means trying to think 4-5 moves ahead of your opponent. It means feeling out what you are facing, and figuring out how to overcome it. This is strategy, and there is more than one type. If your opponent blades, you can shield. If your opponent hits, you can heal. If your opponent shatters your shields, you can knock off their blades.

Gear? Well, takes no great mind to figure out ya gonna have to blow crowns at some point, but again, simple. To critical there is block, to strength there is resist, see the opposing forces theme here? I hope so.

Looking back at things changed gamewide for PVP (beguile, lifebane, dampen magic, simplify/elucidate, etc), and things NOT changed (wild bolt in particular), I honestly am surprised there are as many going into PVP as there are. Currently the non-pvp community far exceeds the pvp community, which is sad really, but a fact of life for, again, obvious reasons.

Jade tanks are not noobs. They are employing a different strategy in which you must use pierce. Critical hitters are not noobs either. They merely employ a different strategy. Balanced gear, again, not noobs, employing a different strategy.

However. I did not come here to talk about strategy.

I sort of stumbled in looking for some reason why the hundred level gear got "toned down" from the 90 level gear I use. A full search page of incessant whining answered my question. Kings Isle did what they usually do, listened to whiners, and i get ripped off.

Nothing new there.

Back to the subject.

Fix PVP? Ya, good luck with that. Can't fix something by breaking it more. Smacking an old television may have worked but i doubt this time honored technique will work here. Undo what should never have been done, address the real issues, and maybe, just maybe, tech support should consider things they get told instead of sending a clean, sanitary reply with all the zest of a EULA statement, and do nothing.

Guess what just ain't gonna happen.

Until then, nope.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
318
Samuel Wolfe on May 8, 2014 wrote:
removing PvP is probably the simplest solution to a problem such as this, though you don't care to listen to me because all you care about is fighting each other to the death in an arena.

and my last sentence "you need to figure out what is best for the kids in a situation like this rather than what you want."

I was speaking in a general sense, not just referring to PvP. This game was created and is well known for it's family friendly gameplay, this means it was designed not just for older people, but for children as well. If such a thing comes into the game that disrupts the family fun, then you start losing players, you have upset parents, crying kids and everything starts going downhill in a hurry.

I can understand King's Isle wanting to bring out a more competitive spirit in the dedicated player group, but when we are left with nothing, but an arena filled with people who are what a few of my friends as "try-hard players" then this game pretty much loses all it's appeal outside of new world content.

-----
(Definition)
Try-Hard: A term used to reference any player who takes a video game with such seriousness that they often cannot take a situation where something deviates from their wants and desires and will get upset and often be vocally rude or nasty towards others. These are also the same people who often get an inflated ego over having "skills" as some call it in a game based on luck and not real strategy. They often like to ridicule others who can't keep up with such a rigid play style, or they will attack and harass those who beat them at their own game and they can't handle a defeat gracefully.

-----
My ideal gaming community would be one with multiple games for people to occupy their time in a world such as wizard101, so they don't feel like they have to torture themselves with PvP in the Arena just to get their money's worth of content to satisfy paying for a month of subscription.

They already took a step in the right direction with housing games such as fire elf tag. It encourages a competitive fun environment that doesn't end with players crying or upset and harassing each other. However this tag game is only a small piece of content and isn't really a stable type of game suitable for keeping someone occupied for weeks or months between content updates. I honestly could not see someone spending hours playing tag in Wizard101, it would grow very stale after a few games.

Personally I probably could sit down and come up with a list of ideas to make the game more fun and longer lasting, but I don't know if you realize it, but people like me have a lot of things to do other than sitting down in a gaming forum all day. I have to do housework and look for stable employment, on top of other things on an ever growing list of things I must do in my life.

If I can get a chance to sit down and write down a few ideas, I'd be more than happy to, but isn't that what King's Isle employees are paid to do? come up with fun ideas?
Well it's funny how you have enough time to continue complaining about pvp but you don't have enough time to come up with new ideas for the game. The thing you refuse to understand is my point. I am simply stating that you or anyone else who does not like pvp because of the state it's in can stay out of the arena, as simple as that. Don't come whining to KI to remove pvp just to satisfy yourself and others who don't enjoy pvp for the same reason. KI created the ignore and report button for a reason and it's yours or anyone else's fault not to use it when necessary. Why should those who enjoy pvp have to suffer because a few pretend the ignore and report button don't exist? Even if pvp was removed it would not put a stop to people being made fun of. Very rarely have I seen anyone made fun of their pvp rank outside of the arena. It is common for me to witness people being made fun of their gear or like I said before, exclude people from their dungeon runs because of their stats. Samuel, YOU are the one refusing to listen to me. I completely understand your point. You want pvp removed because it brings out the worst in everyone and people get made fun of their pvp rank etc. You simply won't listen to ME because I have had to state the same things to you countless times. If fighting to the death in the arena doesn't suit you then don't pvp. Some people enjoy it so accept theirs and my opinion. I agree that removing pvp is the simplest solution to this problem, but is it the right one? I completely disagree that removing pvp is the right decision because people enjoy it and love this game because of it.

Historian
May 15, 2009
673
stormninja542 on May 12, 2014 wrote:
Well it's funny how you have enough time to continue complaining about pvp but you don't have enough time to come up with new ideas for the game. The thing you refuse to understand is my point. I am simply stating that you or anyone else who does not like pvp because of the state it's in can stay out of the arena, as simple as that. Don't come whining to KI to remove pvp just to satisfy yourself and others who don't enjoy pvp for the same reason. KI created the ignore and report button for a reason and it's yours or anyone else's fault not to use it when necessary. Why should those who enjoy pvp have to suffer because a few pretend the ignore and report button don't exist? Even if pvp was removed it would not put a stop to people being made fun of. Very rarely have I seen anyone made fun of their pvp rank outside of the arena. It is common for me to witness people being made fun of their gear or like I said before, exclude people from their dungeon runs because of their stats. Samuel, YOU are the one refusing to listen to me. I completely understand your point. You want pvp removed because it brings out the worst in everyone and people get made fun of their pvp rank etc. You simply won't listen to ME because I have had to state the same things to you countless times. If fighting to the death in the arena doesn't suit you then don't pvp. Some people enjoy it so accept theirs and my opinion. I agree that removing pvp is the simplest solution to this problem, but is it the right one? I completely disagree that removing pvp is the right decision because people enjoy it and love this game because of it.
yes because taking 5-10 minutes out of my morning to post a reply says I can spend hours thinking of a new piece of content for the game./sarcasm

seriously? because I take a few minutes out of my day to post a reply you assume I could sit here for a long time and create a new idea like that? I think you need to stop assuming something about my life which you don't know about.

honestly you sound like a ridiculous broken record. "If you don't like it don't play it blah blah blah..."
I think you willfully ignore everything I have stated in regards to this topic. you say "don't go", but when you finish everything else. what is there left? wandering through areas you've been in countless times before? going inactive and waiting money every month because there is nothing left?

if you can answer me that with a honest to goodness useful and well thought out answer, then maybe this conversation will go somewhere other than in circles

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
953
Sam,

You may not like my reply, but I feel that it's an honest reply.

So, you say your sick or being pitted against a Warlord, etc, but what if I start a new player and bring them up and transfer over my Water works gear. Here I am, a private, with good gear, good pet, and lots and lots of PVP experience. It will be just as you are playing a Warlord, but I am a private. See, the title means nothing, not a thing.
PVP certainly doesn’t bring out the worst in everyone, maybe some, but certainly not everyone. If your not good at PVP, let me ask a few questions.
1. How many practice matches did you do, a hundred plus?
2. What type of gear do you have, is it the best you can get.
3. What type of pet do you have, does it’s talents match your setup?
4. How many PVP manuals have you read?
5. Do you know every spell of every other wizard, do you can how many pips each cost?
6. Do you know exactly what your combos can hit, against what resist, etc?
7. Do you know the Combos and Strategies of the other types of Wizards?
8. Is your Deck setup for the current type of spells that are available, to counter them?
9. How much time have you spent at the LoreMaster, getting the spells you need to be competitive?
10. I can keep going and going, but you can see, what is needed to be competitive is a lot, PVP is not easy.
If you don’t like to be made fun of and if you feel terrible playing the game, this is a personal problem, not a game problem. Sorry, but it’s you that have the issue, it’s not the game. It’s an E10 game rating, but how people act is human nature, and that is not totally controllable by KI. So I see no reason to ask KI to fix a game that has no real problems. Try playing other games, and you will be far more frustrated that doing PVP here in Wizard101. Arrogant players are in every game, and there are plenty in real sports, I can tell you. It’s up to you to deal with this, it’s not up to the game to protect you because you are a fragile person.