Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Puppeting Problem Solved?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
I believe I have devised an equation which may be able to stop puppet teams.

I don't make any claims to understanding how programming works, this equation may be entirely useless... but if it helps, I'll be happy...

v= the numerical value of a 2v2 team. Teams are matched up based on their numerical value.

a,b= players 1 and 2. Their numerical values are added together to make v.

Equation--- V= a squared + b squared

(For lack of superscripts, I was forced to type the word "squared")

There you have it. Let's journey into the realm of the hypothetical and say a level 80 and a level 1 decide to do a 2v2. Their numerical value would be as follows: V= 1+6400.

So their numerical value is 6400. Now, let's say our current system would match them up with two level 40s. That would not work using this equation. Two level 40s (v=1600+1600) would only have a numerical value of 3200.

However, using my equation (v=a squared+ b squared) the level 80's puppet team would be matched against another team with similar numerical value, therefore making it a more even match. They then might be matched instead to a team of two level 57s (v=3249+3249), making the match much more fair.

As far as I know, KI might have already found a solution to this problem, or this one doesn't work. Just trying to help. (Hope this works....)

-scarpion18

Survivor
Nov 27, 2010
scarpion18 wrote:

I don't make any claims to understanding how programming works, this equation may be entirely useless... but if it helps, I'll be happy...

v= the numerical value of a 2v2 team. Teams are matched up based on their numerical value.

a,b= players 1 and 2. Their numerical values are added together to make v.

(For lack of superscripts, I was forced to type the word "squared")

There you have it. Let's journey into the realm of the hypothetical and say a level 80 and a level 1 decide to do a 2v2. Their numerical value would be as follows: V= 1+6400.

So their numerical value is 6400. Now, let's say our current system would match them up with two level 40s. That would not work using this equation. Two level 40s (v=1600+1600) would only have a numerical value of 3200.

However, using my equation (v=a squared+ b squared) the level 80's puppet team would be matched against another team with similar numerical value, therefore making it a more even match. They then might be matched instead to a team of two level 57s (v=3249+3249), making the match much more fair.

As far as I know, KI might have already found a solution to this problem, or this one doesn't work. Just trying to help. (Hope this works....)

-scarpion18

Why don't we make it so you can only team up with someone with a level difference of 10/20 levels. :)

My mind isn't technical enough to understand that lol.

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
Don't you see that that is still puppeting? The Archmage is getting easy guys to fight, instead of hard guys. Those lvl 57's wont even have gargantuan or their new spell, so the archmage would be able to own them.

Explorer
Feb 25, 2012
Delver
Aug 13, 2010
rustygooga wrote:
im not understanding anything! what is puppeting?

Puppeting in PvP is when a high level, usually Level 70-80 uses a low level, usually levels 1-10 to go against lower levels. The 1-10 level usually has below 100 rank and they usually use blades for the higher level and other utility spells.

Survivor
Apr 01, 2009
scarpion18 wrote:

-scarpion18

There have been a few formulas suggested ... This one looks similar to one I saw over at central. It all depends on how much you/KI wants to bias the team's level towards the largest level on the team.

The problem with the puppet issue is that it's actually three problems at once - (1) how to determine a teams Level, (2) How to determine a team's ELO rank, (3) How to trade off Level/Rank as you "expand" the pairing search over time, if there's not a current match available.

Item (2) is "gamed" by puppet teams by downranking some of the team members to ultra low ranks, even to ZERO. This makes the team's average rank at private, even though all the members have full commander gear, SPUD pets, and anythin else you can think of.

Item (3) actually weighs rank more heavily over an extended wait time, which aggravates item (2) more.

The definition of a "puppet" team starts with a +/- 20 level between the lowest and highest level team member. Because of item (2), you can actually see 4xL80 teams, all with rank of zero, get a pure Magus (L30-39) 4v4 team.