Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Profanity in foreign language

AuthorMessage
Defender
Nov 08, 2009
126
Today I was watching my friend doing a PVP match. Several other wizards came to watch the match also.
They all started to talk a foreign language. I could not understand any of it until i translated some of the words.
One said "I hear all your profanity". This is discouraging me from playing this game, i can see if it was one or two but more like 5 or 6. In the PVP lobby it is the same. Ya tell me to change realms, does not solve this. If they want to play in the US version then they should speak english. Check it out the match was at 10:13 am eastern time, between Michael jadeeyes and andrew raincloud. I was raised speaking Spanish and I do not use it in the game.
I have french and greek friends that talk english. I think this is a problem.

Administrator
Cat Wildbreeze on Mar 8, 2019 wrote:
Today I was watching my friend doing a PVP match. Several other wizards came to watch the match also.
They all started to talk a foreign language. I could not understand any of it until i translated some of the words.
One said "I hear all your profanity". This is discouraging me from playing this game, i can see if it was one or two but more like 5 or 6. In the PVP lobby it is the same. Ya tell me to change realms, does not solve this. If they want to play in the US version then they should speak english. Check it out the match was at 10:13 am eastern time, between Michael jadeeyes and andrew raincloud. I was raised speaking Spanish and I do not use it in the game.
I have french and greek friends that talk english. I think this is a problem.
Profanity is certainly something we frown at, so we encourage all Wizards to please take care when viewing programs and game related content on 3rd party platforms we cannot moderate.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2012
15
Cat Wildbreeze on Mar 8, 2019 wrote:
Today I was watching my friend doing a PVP match. Several other wizards came to watch the match also.
They all started to talk a foreign language. I could not understand any of it until i translated some of the words.
One said "I hear all your profanity". This is discouraging me from playing this game, i can see if it was one or two but more like 5 or 6. In the PVP lobby it is the same. Ya tell me to change realms, does not solve this. If they want to play in the US version then they should speak english. Check it out the match was at 10:13 am eastern time, between Michael jadeeyes and andrew raincloud. I was raised speaking Spanish and I do not use it in the game.
I have french and greek friends that talk english. I think this is a problem.
Click on the players and report them.
There's nothing else you can do.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
95
Sparck on Mar 8, 2019 wrote:
Profanity is certainly something we frown at, so we encourage all Wizards to please take care when viewing programs and game related content on 3rd party platforms we cannot moderate.
The OP here was not on a third party platform or a viewing program. They were logged into Wizard101 and were viewing a match one of their friends was having. Other wizards also came to view the match and started speaking in a language other than english. When the OP used a translator to see what they were saying it turns out they were using profanity. Since this was in game completely with wizards in game using the words then that should mean it can be moderated.

I've seen this quite a bit myself. Open chat here in the U.S. does a semi decent job of making it hard to use english profanity in game. However for people who speak other languages than english on the server it's absurdly easy for them to use profanity in open chat because open chat doesn't recognize it. Many people who play the game don't speak these languages and therefore don't report the people who do this because they don't know that using profanity is what these players are doing.

Spanish is the most common language (although definitely not the only one) I see used other than english. I see people using profanity all the time since it's spelled different than english profanity and therefore easier to work around in open chat so that you can freely curse at other people in pvp.

I would love to see something done about this if possible. Considering there are tons of languages in the world it might be a good idea to have open chat filter major profanity words from the maybe the top 5 to 10 languages spoken world wide. Even if it's only the most commonly used 5 profanity words there would be a significant decline in profanity in other languages being used in pvp if this was to happen.

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
126
To Sebastian12205:
I would report it, but as a non member, on that account, I was not able to. I see no reason why non members do not have this option. But that is the way it is.

To Luvdogs99:
Thank you for explaining this in better detail.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2012
15
Cat Wildbreeze on Mar 20, 2019 wrote:
To Sebastian12205:
I would report it, but as a non member, on that account, I was not able to. I see no reason why non members do not have this option. But that is the way it is.

To Luvdogs99:
Thank you for explaining this in better detail.
I'm very sorry, I did not even know of that. That blows my mind, the fact that non-members can't report.

If I had to think of a reason, it would be to prevent single people making multiple accounts to spam report another person.

If that's the case, all you can do is block them if it bothers you that much. I myself don't what's the big deal about this, as it isn't understood therefore it can't hurt, and promoting this much safety is delaying the inevitable (regarding children) and maybe even giving people a false sense of security, but I'll respect whatever the company wants to do with their game, and whatever you believe.

TL;DR: I don't see the point in it, but if it bothers you, block them.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
95
Sebastian12205 on Mar 22, 2019 wrote:
I'm very sorry, I did not even know of that. That blows my mind, the fact that non-members can't report.

If I had to think of a reason, it would be to prevent single people making multiple accounts to spam report another person.

If that's the case, all you can do is block them if it bothers you that much. I myself don't what's the big deal about this, as it isn't understood therefore it can't hurt, and promoting this much safety is delaying the inevitable (regarding children) and maybe even giving people a false sense of security, but I'll respect whatever the company wants to do with their game, and whatever you believe.

TL;DR: I don't see the point in it, but if it bothers you, block them.
The big deal would be that this is a family friendly game. Just because you use another language does not mean you should be able to say profanity or insult other people in game.

While it may not be understood the second it's typed and sent, as proven by the OP here, all it takes is checking your chat and google translator to see what's being said about you or others in another language. Profanity and insulting other's in pvp is never okay and quite honestly shows a bad attitude that I know many do not want to deal with while juts trying to have fun doing pvp.

As for delaying the inevitable KI has already stated no profanity is part of their rules so all we're really doing here is asking for them to be enforced no matter the language you use in every day life. So no one is promoting a ton of safety just wanting people to follow rules already in place.

People are fully aware that by the time you hit middle school (sometimes even earlier every parent's decision on what kind of language can be used around their child can be different) your kid is going to be hearing all sorts of things you don't want them too. Doesn't mean that should be something a parent has to worry about on what's supposed to be a child friendly game. It's not a false sense of security if rules are actually enforced and people who decide to break the rules and use insults and profanity are muted.

Geographer
Mar 16, 2012
872
Cat Wildbreeze on Mar 8, 2019 wrote:
Today I was watching my friend doing a PVP match. Several other wizards came to watch the match also.
They all started to talk a foreign language. I could not understand any of it until i translated some of the words.
One said "I hear all your profanity". This is discouraging me from playing this game, i can see if it was one or two but more like 5 or 6. In the PVP lobby it is the same. Ya tell me to change realms, does not solve this. If they want to play in the US version then they should speak english. Check it out the match was at 10:13 am eastern time, between Michael jadeeyes and andrew raincloud. I was raised speaking Spanish and I do not use it in the game.
I have french and greek friends that talk english. I think this is a problem.
Unless you speak that language, then what you read is just gibberish; so why should it matter if open chat allows foreign words?
Also, many language translators aren't reliable, I've seen many amusing goofs from using them. If this about protecting children, then menu and text chat is still viable.

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
126
anecorbie on Mar 23, 2019 wrote:
Unless you speak that language, then what you read is just gibberish; so why should it matter if open chat allows foreign words?
Also, many language translators aren't reliable, I've seen many amusing goofs from using them. If this about protecting children, then menu and text chat is still viable.
If KI allowed us to speak gibberish, as you say, then they would allowed us to speak around the filters
and use any profanity we want as long as it is not spelled correctly!

I think it is a matter playing a family friendly game and being comfortable doing so.
Many people are uncomfortable being in a room with people speaking other languages, they do not understand.

It has nothing to do with the language itself. It has to do with the fact that no matter what language you speak, you should follow the rules, No profanity and No insults to others.
I think that Luvdogs99 post is very good on what this is all about.

But that is a good idea you have, any one that uses the USA version of Wizard101 that is not in the USA should
not be allowed OPEN CHAT. KI knows where we are at all times, from our IP.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
2102
Cat Wildbreeze on Mar 25, 2019 wrote:
If KI allowed us to speak gibberish, as you say, then they would allowed us to speak around the filters
and use any profanity we want as long as it is not spelled correctly!

I think it is a matter playing a family friendly game and being comfortable doing so.
Many people are uncomfortable being in a room with people speaking other languages, they do not understand.

It has nothing to do with the language itself. It has to do with the fact that no matter what language you speak, you should follow the rules, No profanity and No insults to others.
I think that Luvdogs99 post is very good on what this is all about.

But that is a good idea you have, any one that uses the USA version of Wizard101 that is not in the USA should
not be allowed OPEN CHAT. KI knows where we are at all times, from our IP.
I was with you until you said 'anyone that uses the USA version of Wizard101 that is not in the USA should not be allowed OPEN CHAT'...are you for real?

I guess I should be banned from open chat because coming from ENGLAND and being ENGLISH might mean I try to speak some foreign bad words...

Seriously though, I agree with the rest - people should not be using profanity in ANY language. It's not appropriate or pleasant. I also think it is ridiculous that crown players or players whose membership has lapsed do not have the report feature. There are many responsible, dedicated players who have put hundreds of dollars into this game who can't report bad language! I fully understand and support the lack of the report feature on F2P but once an account hits an appropriate threshold of investment the report feature should, in my opinion, be there unless removed from mis-use.

I've seen many posts complaining that languages other than English are not supported on W101. This is why those accounts are getting sanctions - it's impossible for KI to monitor every language and they make it clear that English is the only language supported in game. If no-one ever misused the chat features there would be no need for such rules. Those complaining about their language not being supported might understand why it has to be that way if they read your points. Sorry you experienced this and I hope KI reconsider the report feature for all customers.