Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Please Revert the Recent PvP Chat Update

AuthorMessage
Squire
May 10, 2013
This update is the most infuriating update we've had for PvP.

I will admit, a lot of the balancing has been great. Efreet is no longer a spell that can deal over 1k at base and give a 90 weakness. Drains are a lot more effective now.

But the worst thing about this update are the changes to the PvP chat system.

I can't talk to anyone in the match.
I can't get any advice in a match.
I can't talk to the audience in a match.

I still do not know why this change even happened.

PvP toxicity is an issue for some people, however, using the Ignore mechanic, any encounter of toxic behavior can be avoided.

Talking to others in a PvP match is one of the most fun experiences, yet I can't do that for some odd reason.

I am still unclear about why this change was necessary.

I would like to hear some other opinions on this topic.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2020
I can't speak for the intent of the update, but I can say a couple things I think about the changes. (This isn't a refutation of the original post.)

The only people you can talk to when on the sigil are your teammates and spectators who are higher than level 15 and are at least a PvP Sergeant. (You can send messages to outsiders, but they can't send messages back to you.) This makes it harder to chat, but in turn makes it harder for people to harass their opponents, as even PvP-heads only have so many warlord alts.

This is, as you mentioned, partially foiled by the fact that you are able to just repeatedly ignore those who attempt to provoke you, but not everyone has the self control to do so, which can lead to unnecessary distress, so while I can't say that this is definitely the best way to combat the problem, it is definitely a way to try to protect those who don't view ignoring as a valid option.

Advice I see being a big issue. A big part of learning how to PvP is being told the best move in order to know how to get the cards you need, in my experience, in certain situations. While I think that the best way to do this is with voice chat, I still think there should be other accessible ways to give advice to people on the sigil.

That being said, the easier it is to communicate to people on the sigil, the easier it is for people to get extra advantages. While I don't think that the advantages are particularly game-breaking (gear peeking is the worst example I can think of off of the top of my head) I think it still needs to be considered in some capacity.

I don't think the update was necessary, but for a game that is advertised mostly as a family-friendly game, I don't necessarily think that the update was completely lacking in perspective.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
I also agree that I would like to talk again to other players in and around the dueling circle- PvP is actually a great way to make friends (surprising, I know, because of how many toxic players there are). I think if we want to do something about avoiding toxicity that's great, but this is a bit overboard.

Maybe KI can figure out a more effective way to deal with reporting and removing toxicity rather than eliminating chat altogether? I think this needs to be brought about a different way, because we really need to still be able to talk and have fun. My biggest issue is that I can't even whisper my friend if they are in a PvP match, and nobody can whisper to me if I'm in the match... Hate that.

Squire
May 10, 2013
Chiraux on Jul 29, 2020 wrote:
I can't speak for the intent of the update, but I can say a couple things I think about the changes. (This isn't a refutation of the original post.)

The only people you can talk to when on the sigil are your teammates and spectators who are higher than level 15 and are at least a PvP Sergeant. (You can send messages to outsiders, but they can't send messages back to you.) This makes it harder to chat, but in turn makes it harder for people to harass their opponents, as even PvP-heads only have so many warlord alts.

This is, as you mentioned, partially foiled by the fact that you are able to just repeatedly ignore those who attempt to provoke you, but not everyone has the self control to do so, which can lead to unnecessary distress, so while I can't say that this is definitely the best way to combat the problem, it is definitely a way to try to protect those who don't view ignoring as a valid option.

Advice I see being a big issue. A big part of learning how to PvP is being told the best move in order to know how to get the cards you need, in my experience, in certain situations. While I think that the best way to do this is with voice chat, I still think there should be other accessible ways to give advice to people on the sigil.

That being said, the easier it is to communicate to people on the sigil, the easier it is for people to get extra advantages. While I don't think that the advantages are particularly game-breaking (gear peeking is the worst example I can think of off of the top of my head) I think it still needs to be considered in some capacity.

I don't think the update was necessary, but for a game that is advertised mostly as a family-friendly game, I don't necessarily think that the update was completely lacking in perspective.
I mean, yes, some people don't have the self control to ignore people who choose to harass them.

However, I don't think preventing duelists from reading spectator chat is a suitable solution.

I think there should just be an option to view spectator chat.

There's an option to not view your opponent's chat in Gameplay Settings, so I think a great solution to the problem is just to create a new setting to turn off Spectator Chat.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2020
PlayHard101 on Jul 30, 2020 wrote:
I mean, yes, some people don't have the self control to ignore people who choose to harass them.

However, I don't think preventing duelists from reading spectator chat is a suitable solution.

There's an option to not view your opponent's chat in Gameplay Settings, so I think a great solution to the problem is just to create a new setting to turn off Spectator Chat.
Sorry for the late response.

I agree with that.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
PlayHard101 on Jul 30, 2020 wrote:

Any news on if this was changed yet? I noticed that I, as a spectator, was able to talk with my friend who was in a PvP match, and they could reply back (none of it was in whisper). However that was practice PvP, so I'm not sure if that's why?

Survivor
Nov 25, 2019
Honestly I agree with this so much, I've met so many people due to matches in Pvp and even other than that when I'm spectating friends, nowadays its just not enjoyable. Theres no ability to have a conversation and all in all the vibe and energy that used to be there in pvp is just gone. This was the worst thing to come out of the update honestly, other than the slaughter of the Daredevil robe (it looks so bad now). Even if I'm fitting both criteria in terms of Rank and Level I still can't talk to friends. I feel like a revert would be best since all in all, if someone is toxic you can just revert. Or maybe automatically close chat bubbles in Pvp between spectators and the players (not between people in a match), so you can choose if you really want to talk to spectators. Honestly at this point anything is better than what we currently have.

Squire
May 10, 2013
Professional Wizhe... on Aug 25, 2020 wrote:
Honestly I agree with this so much, I've met so many people due to matches in Pvp and even other than that when I'm spectating friends, nowadays its just not enjoyable. Theres no ability to have a conversation and all in all the vibe and energy that used to be there in pvp is just gone. This was the worst thing to come out of the update honestly, other than the slaughter of the Daredevil robe (it looks so bad now). Even if I'm fitting both criteria in terms of Rank and Level I still can't talk to friends. I feel like a revert would be best since all in all, if someone is toxic you can just revert. Or maybe automatically close chat bubbles in Pvp between spectators and the players (not between people in a match), so you can choose if you really want to talk to spectators. Honestly at this point anything is better than what we currently have.
It's just really annoying to deal with.
Half of the time I get hit with "Your friend cannot talk right now" and it's honestly a really flawed mechanic.

I think that there are solutions to PvP toxicity that don't involve completely removing chatting altogether.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2019
Its crazy how they did all this but you can still see what spectators say, just that you cant talk to them. Honestly just make an option to turn pvp chat on or off fully that kills chat in the arena as a whole and call it a day. No need for anything else.