Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Please make shadow pip spells more balanced in pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
Shadow pip spells are very unfair in PvP. They are 5 pip spells that can do up to 2500 to 3000 damage in one hit without any blades or traps. It is very unfair when a person goes first and gets a shadow pip and then they do 3000 damage to start the match. I really think these shadow pip spells should be 8 to 10 pips or do less damage or be no PvP. I do think that shadow shrike is completely fair but not the darkmoor spells and the mirage spells. It would definetely bring a lot more players back in if they fixed these spells because it would attract more paying players to the arena once again. PvP was fine without these shadow spells so why do we need them when they just make the game more unfair?

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
AngelBlade69 on Jan 5, 2019 wrote:
Shadow pip spells are very unfair in PvP. They are 5 pip spells that can do up to 2500 to 3000 damage in one hit without any blades or traps. It is very unfair when a person goes first and gets a shadow pip and then they do 3000 damage to start the match. I really think these shadow pip spells should be 8 to 10 pips or do less damage or be no PvP. I do think that shadow shrike is completely fair but not the darkmoor spells and the mirage spells. It would definetely bring a lot more players back in if they fixed these spells because it would attract more paying players to the arena once again. PvP was fine without these shadow spells so why do we need them when they just make the game more unfair?
I agree shadow spells are very unfair for pvp due to the fact that getting a shadow pip is all down to pure luck. I would hope though that they never are made to have 8-10 pips. While a lot of pvp fixes are made to be pvp only something like that would more than likely be a general change that would then affect pve as well. Considering how much shadow hits are used to quickly take down bosses most players myself included would be very angry that we had to wait so many turns to use a spell that will kill a simple boss in one hit.

Taking them out of pvp altogether is an idea that could be worked with though. Spells have been banned before, no reason these couldn't be too though I honestly doubt it will ever happen no matter how much people complain.

Shrike is not always fair in current pvp conditions due to again your chances of actually getting a shadow pip and a lack of way for people who aren't either ice or life guardian spammers to be able to get enough resist to really counter it. But until jade gear is either fixed or banned from pvp it remains as the only way to defeat such people and there are a lot of warlords out there that win because of that gear. So I would hope shrike is left alone at least for now so that the possibility of defeating people who use those strategies still exists.

But I gotta say if jade gear ever gets taken care of you can't just ask for the shadow hits to be gone but leave shrike alone. Without major resist even without a shadow hit shrike can guarantee a win for the more powerful schools like storm and fire. If you want shadow hits gone expect all shadow spells except wand hits to be removed from pvp.

Or do what several have suggested and just make having no shadow be an option you can pick when signing up for a ranked pvp match and tourney. That way everyone is happy. Shadow stays for those who want to risk it and the rest of us can have a match not completely determined by luck (there is still critical so still some luck).

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Equip some hematite pip jewels and you will change your tune.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2019
ChicoValerian on Jan 11, 2019 wrote:
Equip some hematite pip jewels and you will change your tune.
Hematite pip jewels do not affect shadow enhance spells because they are boosted by school damage that shadow damage. Shadow enhance spells are not unfair they are pretty balanced, what makes them unfair are two factors.1. Gears in itself boost these spells, for example, a Fire From Above(FFA) does 1100-1300 damage flat. So if let's say that person has 0% damage boost and you have a tower shield -50% that said a person will only do half of the original damage, but for someone who has 140% damage boost with 37% pierce lol that's when it becomes problematic. I suggest you start learning how to utilize your side deck and practice practice practice that's how you become better at it.
And if you are still struggling set shields and ward pet will help a ton believe me. The 2nd factor is and will always be the First turn advantage hence why some people struggle from second especially as stated above the person can get a shadow pip for a wide-open hit on the first time but again its a game of luck and chance even though pip chance is only 6%.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Jack Shadowflame: Hematite jewels increase your chances to receive a shadow pip, they do not increase the damage of anything, I can get my shadow pip chance to about +15% with the gear I have, and believe me the shadow pips do come more often, contrary to what people are saying. I am going to run a test to get some reliable data.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2019
ChicoValerian on Jan 13, 2019 wrote:
Jack Shadowflame: Hematite jewels increase your chances to receive a shadow pip, they do not increase the damage of anything, I can get my shadow pip chance to about +15% with the gear I have, and believe me the shadow pips do come more often, contrary to what people are saying. I am going to run a test to get some reliable data.
Oh, I see I must have had them mixed up with the square jewels my apologies. That's also a good strategy but I believe the point been made here is to reduced shadow pip frequency because of damage potential through max spells.