Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Playing Second, a suggestion to KI

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
When playing second in PVP, you are already in a great disadvantage. I am not saying you cant win it but its a disadvantage. Last night I played on my Life Wiz in a team play 4v4. The other team played first, has their own Life Wiz on the team, which actually acted more like a Death Wiz beguiling me five times and denying my team of the needed heals. Beguile works well for those who goes first, as there is no way the beguiled player can change his/her spell. Unlike going first, a beguiled player can opt to use shield or make a pass.
Here is my suggestion to KI to eliminate disadvantage of going second against beguile and stuns. Beguile/Stun should not take effect on the same round it was used against a player.

Let me illustrate why currently it is wrong:

First player cast beguile, second player is beguiled and used rebirth/attack all and goes against his team.

If its the second player that did beguile on the first player, the first player can just make a pass.

This is what i am suggesting:

First player cast beguile/stun, second player is NOT beguiled/stunned and allows rebirth/attack for the benefits of second players'the team. However on the next round ,the beguile/stun takes effect, second player do nathing. This is the same effect when beguile/stun is used against a first player.

Shielding/attacking is already a problem playing second, at least take out beguile and stun disadavantage. This should take most of the disadvantages playing second.

Survivor
Apr 02, 2009
Yes, I fully agree with you on this. I really think something needs to be done about going second.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2009
i think you should go randomy so its always different or it should be too lines instead of a circle so that you alternate down the lines (teams)

Survivor
Jan 27, 2009
Agreed with random each round. But it should be known, since otherwise it would be more annoying than beneficial if you didn't know who was first until the round started.

Perhaps at the end of each round the pointer could spin a couple times and randomly stop to show the start for the next round. A little bit of time for a lot more fairness in each fight.

Explorer
May 22, 2008
I think it should work like football. At the beginning of the game, there is a coin flip. The team that wins can choose A)possession or B)field position.

You could do this in W101 too. The winner of the coin flip could choose A)go first or second B)some other advantage. If the winner chose A)to go first, then the other team would get B)some other advantage.

Explorer
Jun 11, 2009
I can't believe I've actually blamed this as the reason I've lost a couple times because it's actually true.

Explorer
May 09, 2009
Survivor
Apr 02, 2009
qXiLL wrote:
I can't believe I've actually blamed this as the reason I've lost a couple times because it's actually true.
Yes, I know how you feel. I have lost numerous times because of going second. Going second either means you lost(if your facing someone good) or its just going to make things a lot harder for you. I have won duels going second, but its not the easiest thing to do. And I have an idea to fix this problem. How about this: instead of each player choosing their move at the same time, they play/choose each move separately so that way if someone casts a shield the other player can counter it. Ok, say player A is going first and player B is going second. (ok now we're going to skip to when each player has six pips). So player A is going first and player B is second. Player A casts a storm shield and then player B (right after player A) casts a triton. The triton hits the shield and player B couldnt do anything about it because he was going second. So if we could each choose our moves separately then player B could of used something to break player A's shield. Do you guys get what I'm trying to say? I really appreciate if KI did this(it doesn't have to be my idea; i just want you to do something about it) Thanks

Justin Stormstone,
Grandmaster Diviner

Explorer
May 31, 2008
I don't really like the idea, Beguile is one of my favourite spells and i don't use treasures, I keep 3 in my deck and i am Death by the way.

I think they should make it so it can't be made into a treasure card. Thats the problem. People making treasures for there friends, so there team can then spam it. In the Arena if you go second, Life wizards are afraid to Rebirth or earthquake. But it is a great does-all-the-talking-for-you.

For instance, My 4v4 team was up against a team of 1 myth, 1 fire, 1 life and 1 storm.

Now they kept on bragging about earthquake, Now they had built up blades and i bet in the round the were going to attack together, so what we did, we beguiled the myth, which wiped out all there blades and Shields, Then the next round we attacked.

It can only really be abused by death wizards as it costs 3 pips so only death wizards can spam it single-handedly, But if there is a 4v4 the dynamics change, one round player 1 can cast it, the next player 3, etc.

Defender
May 28, 2009
Beguile is completely worthless if the caster is going second. The only way it will work is if the person it was cast on doesn't notice. But they will only make that mistake once, like EVER. I don't think that stunning is really affected by this suggestion that much at all, because one way or another the stunned player(s) will not be able to cast. I agree that something must be done to balance the playing field as far as turns go. Going second always puts people at a disadvantage. First players can surprise attack, surprise defend, and surprise beguile, earthquake, etc. the second players. I believe that EVERYONE should have the option of being reactive, proactive, or passive depending on what is happening in the game. To do this I suggest that cards be selected in two different sessions. When the triangle spins around it would simply land on the empty space in between the four player circles on either side. That would allow the next team to select their spells and then cast. This approach would allow the first team to have a slight advantage just like any other game but would not specifically put the second team at a major disadvantage. This games combat system is based on a card game. In any real card game the players are not asked to ALL lay down the card they are going to play and then everyone turn their cards over in turn. They are asked to hold their hand and ONLY select a card when it is their turn. They method that I have suggested above will get VERY close to allowing that type of functionality while still not making us wait 30 seconds per person to select a spell.

Explorer
Mar 15, 2009
Swift98 wrote:
I don't really like the idea, Beguile is one of my favourite spells and i don't use treasures, I keep 3 in my deck and i am Death by the way.

I think they should make it so it can't be made into a treasure card. Thats the problem. People making treasures for there friends, so there team can then spam it. In the Arena if you go second, Life wizards are afraid to Rebirth or earthquake. But it is a great does-all-the-talking-for-you.

For instance, My 4v4 team was up against a team of 1 myth, 1 fire, 1 life and 1 storm.

Now they kept on bragging about earthquake, Now they had built up blades and i bet in the round the were going to attack together, so what we did, we beguiled the myth, which wiped out all there blades and Shields, Then the next round we attacked.

It can only really be abused by death wizards as it costs 3 pips so only death wizards can spam it single-handedly, But if there is a 4v4 the dynamics change, one round player 1 can cast it, the next player 3, etc.
yeah cause one time (i am death so it wasn't a spam) i used beguile on a storm because i knew he was gonna use storm lord and i was right, he hit with all the blades but no traps because not set on them. anyways they were stunned and then i crow a fire teammate used dragon and ice and balance yada yada yada giant and nova.