Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Petition to Devs

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
Hello all,

I am writing this post today to express my beliefs on a particular spell in PvP today. I have played PvP at a few different levels now, 65, 100, and 120, and I want to encourage the devs to take a hard look at one spell in particular because I believe it makes the game really really anti-fun. That spell is Guardian Spirit. Now, I know many people will sit here and say nerf this nerf that, going 2nd means you lose, shadow pips break the game, etc. but I believe the game is in a great place for most schools. Balance has some ridiculous tech to it, Ice's Weaver is nigh impossible to beat from 2nd, but I truly think that Guardian Spirit should be completely overhauled. I don't think it should be removed from the game because as life, you have the healing advantage and the spell makes sense for them, but in an even PvP match, against a life that is going first, you have no chance of winning unless you are storm and crit insane as they do something other than tower shield. What brings me here is a fight I recently had against a life wizard from second; I primarily play an exalted fire and i'm currently at the high 1500 rank. I racked up pips and shields and kept myself alive for many turns before I combo'd ramp, ffa, into a few traps and killed the life. Needless to say, he was revived with full health as he had crit guardian spirit early in the match. I'm sure you all can guess that within the next turn he had crit guardian spirit again, I had killed him again a few turns later, and we start all over again until I ran out of cards. This wizard was 77-5, only having lost to the lucky insane bolts.

Now, this isn't me just complaining that I lost because I lost plenty to other things, but here is one of these situations that makes the game absolutely broken because yes, I could have put in a few reshuffles. Yes, I could have had life dispels (which would hurt me in the long run because pips and he can clear it with a pixie from 2nd), but in the end, he has the ability to do the same thing and infinitely revive himself. There is no way to actually counter-act a life with max critical and who is guardian spamming from 2nd unless you are a death wizard, but even then, you're 2nd so they will always have time to guardian spirit and then sanctuary before you kill. Regardless of this point, that means 6 of the 7 schools auto lose to life wizards that are using this strategy because they have infinite lives. Furthermore, I don't believe that there should be a situation in which 99% of the time, the opposition is fleeing, infinitely passing as they go afk, or losing because they ran out of cards. This is an agonizing part of PvP that does not involve any skill at all.

So, to bring back my point about keeping it in the game, I believe that an overhaul would be much better than outright removing it, that way you preserve the main strategy of the school, they just can't live forever. My suggestion is to alter guardian spirit to allow for it's use only once per game. You can make it work like a dispel in a way, just without the ability to remove the "shield." This way, Life still remains relevant and is still scary/annoying, but it allows the majority of the schools to counter play and win by actually outplaying the life wizard rather than auto-losing because they can't kill from full twice before they get 5 pips.

I hope this actually reaches some of the devs and underlines what i'm sure many players are frustrated with. Thank you for reading :)

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
JakeDG on Aug 22, 2019 wrote:
Hello all,

I am writing this post today to express my beliefs on a particular spell in PvP today. I have played PvP at a few different levels now, 65, 100, and 120, and I want to encourage the devs to take a hard look at one spell in particular because I believe it makes the game really really anti-fun. That spell is Guardian Spirit. Now, I know many people will sit here and say nerf this nerf that, going 2nd means you lose, shadow pips break the game, etc. but I believe the game is in a great place for most schools. Balance has some ridiculous tech to it, Ice's Weaver is nigh impossible to beat from 2nd, but I truly think that Guardian Spirit should be completely overhauled. I don't think it should be removed from the game because as life, you have the healing advantage and the spell makes sense for them, but in an even PvP match, against a life that is going first, you have no chance of winning unless you are storm and crit insane as they do something other than tower shield. What brings me here is a fight I recently had against a life wizard from second; I primarily play an exalted fire and i'm currently at the high 1500 rank. I racked up pips and shields and kept myself alive for many turns before I combo'd ramp, ffa, into a few traps and killed the life. Needless to say, he was revived with full health as he had crit guardian spirit early in the match. I'm sure you all can guess that within the next turn he had crit guardian spirit again, I had killed him again a few turns later, and we start all over again until I ran out of cards. This wizard was 77-5, only having lost to the lucky insane bolts.

Now, this isn't me just complaining that I lost because I lost plenty to other things, but here is one of these situations that makes the game absolutely broken because yes, I could have put in a few reshuffles. Yes, I could have had life dispels (which would hurt me in the long run because pips and he can clear it with a pixie from 2nd), but in the end, he has the ability to do the same thing and infinitely revive himself. There is no way to actually counter-act a life with max critical and who is guardian spamming from 2nd unless you are a death wizard, but even then, you're 2nd so they will always have time to guardian spirit and then sanctuary before you kill. Regardless of this point, that means 6 of the 7 schools auto lose to life wizards that are using this strategy because they have infinite lives. Furthermore, I don't believe that there should be a situation in which 99% of the time, the opposition is fleeing, infinitely passing as they go afk, or losing because they ran out of cards. This is an agonizing part of PvP that does not involve any skill at all.

So, to bring back my point about keeping it in the game, I believe that an overhaul would be much better than outright removing it, that way you preserve the main strategy of the school, they just can't live forever. My suggestion is to alter guardian spirit to allow for it's use only once per game. You can make it work like a dispel in a way, just without the ability to remove the "shield." This way, Life still remains relevant and is still scary/annoying, but it allows the majority of the schools to counter play and win by actually outplaying the life wizard rather than auto-losing because they can't kill from full twice before they get 5 pips.

I hope this actually reaches some of the devs and underlines what i'm sure many players are frustrated with. Thank you for reading :)
You lost to a strategy that has been invented to counter high damage caliber users like fire balance ice and storm. You manage to defeat him the first time and Second but yet he hasn't manage to defeat you in both those scenarios. So in a sense while your out here trying to kill him he is simply relying on a strategy that drains your cards. And because its a Good strategy you want it to be nerf? Because pvp is suppose to be about people just dealing high end mass damage without zero counter play? Your gonna limit guardian to 1 use lets start limiting spells like burning rampage and efreet to 1 use also. Lets also remove the fact that fire is able to easily attain storm damage with damage overtime while keeping 59%+ resistance in max level with 6k hp. Sorry mate but until they equally start nerfing:

Lore Master-Efreet-Ramp-Abominable weaver-Fire damage(base stats)- Ice damage(balefrost)-Insane Bolt- Gaze(bubble) then we can push guardian in the mix because I do also agree guardian needs an overhaul and not even a revive mechanic but an invulnerable ability. Luminous is useless and low damage-We have no reliable source of damage aka bubble control-Absorb are way under tune. Oh and did i even mention fire has spells like fire bettle and magma colossus that gives a -40% tower shield( How did that happen?) Literally KI pushed life towards the PVE roles its only when people started messing around with critical incoming outgoing and Jade gears that release an ongoing trend of max survivability in this *UNBALANCE* meta and it is no where in any shape or form Good at max pvp 125+. You Cut the damage For all schools and have the only school that can surpass 130% damage to be storm plain and simple.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
This entire argument is null and void. My entire point is that you cannot counter play guardian spirit at all if you are not a death from first. You can triage ramp, u can predict efreet and play around it, I had a fire beat me from 2nd because he used elf the turn I used efreet when I thought he would ffa. What you are saying is to take all the spells out of the game, which is a horrible counter argument to the alteration of a spell that has literally 0 counter-play.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
JakeDG on Aug 24, 2019 wrote:
This entire argument is null and void. My entire point is that you cannot counter play guardian spirit at all if you are not a death from first. You can triage ramp, u can predict efreet and play around it, I had a fire beat me from 2nd because he used elf the turn I used efreet when I thought he would ffa. What you are saying is to take all the spells out of the game, which is a horrible counter argument to the alteration of a spell that has literally 0 counter-play.
The same goes for you cannot counter play a shrike efreet or a first turn burning rampage stack up by blades that does more than Catalan and has the ability to by pass shields as a fire. I understand your point with guardian and i already gave my opinion on the spell to limit it too one use. However for 5 years iv'e seen dominate max pvp due to them being easy S tier schools i want to see them hard to play now hence why i propose the huge nerfs on these 3 specific schools. Its time for a change a new opportunity giving to other schools to have easier access to climb ranks. If these said schools were broken u wouldn't have seen more wards for these on any other pets in the game.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2008
angellifeheart on Sep 18, 2019 wrote:
The same goes for you cannot counter play a shrike efreet or a first turn burning rampage stack up by blades that does more than Catalan and has the ability to by pass shields as a fire. I understand your point with guardian and i already gave my opinion on the spell to limit it too one use. However for 5 years iv'e seen dominate max pvp due to them being easy S tier schools i want to see them hard to play now hence why i propose the huge nerfs on these 3 specific schools. Its time for a change a new opportunity giving to other schools to have easier access to climb ranks. If these said schools were broken u wouldn't have seen more wards for these on any other pets in the game.
The last time Ice truly dominated PvP was the First Age and maybe the Second, I have been around a while and I can honestly tell you, Ice is no longer that dominant as I have been PvPing the past month and a half and I have only won 3 matches.

Sure,
  • I don't know how to PvP in these new ages
  • Don't understand how to counter plague spam from second
  • Don't understand why people complain about resist when Pierce is now a thing
  • Ice no longer is the ones dominating resist as that is now Life with Jade armor at 90% of resist and then they just spam shields so now my Shrike, Pierce, Infallible are useless if they have at least 2 shields.

Ice is transitioning into damage because we are no longer the dominant "tanks" due to Life taking that over with Jade gear, pets who spam shields somehow and mass shielding.

I have been in over 100 matches this past month and every time my team is second, we lose. However when we get to go first for the first time in 40+ matches, we end up winning.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
Time Wizard on Oct 6, 2019 wrote:
The last time Ice truly dominated PvP was the First Age and maybe the Second, I have been around a while and I can honestly tell you, Ice is no longer that dominant as I have been PvPing the past month and a half and I have only won 3 matches.

Sure,
  • I don't know how to PvP in these new ages
  • Don't understand how to counter plague spam from second
  • Don't understand why people complain about resist when Pierce is now a thing
  • Ice no longer is the ones dominating resist as that is now Life with Jade armor at 90% of resist and then they just spam shields so now my Shrike, Pierce, Infallible are useless if they have at least 2 shields.

Ice is transitioning into damage because we are no longer the dominant "tanks" due to Life taking that over with Jade gear, pets who spam shields somehow and mass shielding.

I have been in over 100 matches this past month and every time my team is second, we lose. However when we get to go first for the first time in 40+ matches, we end up winning.
Maybe you're missing something, but this thread is about 1v1, not team play.

Survivor
Nov 16, 2008
JewelKI on Oct 7, 2019 wrote:
Maybe you're missing something, but this thread is about 1v1, not team play.
The same problem occurs no matter the amount of people. 1v1 through 4v4 have the same issues with the same cards being used.

Ice is not a high "caliber" of damage type of school. The problem is people complained that Ice had too much resistance or too "tanky". So to combat that, they started removing resist in favor of damage to encourage ice to attack more. With that being done, they had to balance all the other schools so now that resistance is achievable by every one and not just ice.

However, the argument isn't about schools or card(s) - or at least it shouldn't be. It should be about the logistics and game mechanics of the PvP system.

Don't like the damage? Shields exist. If you're 1v1, you should automatically know to pack shields for every school.
Don't like resistance? Infallible + Shrike = 60% to 70% pierce. This is NOT including your school's pierce blade (another 6%), Shrike's pierce blade (another 6%), TC pierce blades (another 6%), AND THEN your gear's pierce (Anywhere from 12%-40%+) Adding all that up, is well over 100% of piercing, meaning resistance is absolutely worth less.

tl;dr Stop blaming the cards and schools and develop a strategy. Ice HAS to trade resistance AND damage for pierce, so if you have Shrike, you just ate through 85% of all Ice's resistance. If you have Shrike AND Infallible (TC), you just ate through their Tower AND left them with ~10% resist. On top of that, if you Infallible, Shrike, then small attack, you just removed shields AND gained ANOTHER +10% pierce (not including your gear pierce.)

Shrike = -50%
TC Infallible= -20%
Shrike Pierce Blade= -10%
School's Pierce Blade = -6%
TC School's Pierce Blade = -6%
GEAR PIERCE = ~6% to -40%+