Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ode to the devs about "Balancing"

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
There are a few things key notes I've taken down from the round table discussion towards the changes being implemented in fifth age pvp.
First I want to discuss about shadow magic in general and their presence in pvp. Shadow magic by itself are pretty balanced spells, but when it starts to mix with high damage, pierce and critical they pose a problem in the meta. One of the reason for this is the immense boost in damage these spells are giving, pretty much doubles in power than what these spells do than originally intended. Shadow enhance spells should be adjusted to fit out going damage updates.

Shrike needs to be looked at. In pve its a very viable spell that helps with dealing with high end resist bosses of similar schools, but in pvp it poses a real threat. When combined with mass outgoing damage, in a meta where resist is actually balanced, shrike can basically neutralize all resist in 3 round. Pierce should be kept around 30-40% of cap resist which should be 70%, with or without rating. Spells like infallible, and astral spells like extraordinary already gives option to extra pierce and should not be giving more any further.

Shrike in a sense is broken being that's it can only be some what countered by mantle, dispels and beguile,.Its not healthy and should be ban from pvp until some form of rework. Banning shrike from pvp would open windows of opportunities to see which school needs to be re-balanced, the same way you ban guardian for from pvp.

Maycast- cast rates percentage should be given out publicly so that players can know the rates. Am seeing a lot of nerf this and that with may-cast, but players ought to remember the same time or more players take to invest in a triple double max pet or may cast infallible or tower shield can be said the same for shatter and enfeeble. I have already noted in my other post that spells than actually have counters do not require nerfs.

An aegis protected blades or set shield counters shatter and enfeeble, while an open weaver backed up by a fat shield percentage does not have any direct counter, same goes for Efreet free juju

I understand the idea of bringing back the uniqueness of schools, but this also creates a barrier entry in balancing.The reason for saying this is that some schools spells are just plainly better than others. We all enjoy playing on multiple schools per say but there is always gonna be that one school you enjoy playing the most. All school spells should have access to some form of heal, low pip dot, and shield shatter ability. Reflection shield such as spiked shield that reflect 25% of the damage back to the opponent is also necessary in pvp and will help with both players setting up rather than one just going overly offensive or the other overly defensive. This can be limit to 3 use per match.

So apparently the way how I see things atm is that everyone wants their own school to do everything, and i think that speaks for itself, from shying away from school unique role to now being more of a modern well rounded theme. That in itself consolidates to pvp.

So the easiest fix to max pvp would be. Less shadow presence, ban shrike, nerf efreet and weaver utilities, nerf bale frost or give some kind of - resist on ice if they want to have access to damage while increasing the pip cost to 3. Easier said than done. Since I've already retired wiz I wont be around to participate in 5th pvp but i will say this if and remain the 2 dominant tier schools of pvp, then pvp is by no means fixed or balanced whatsoever. I do hope in 3 yrs returning to wiz that I see being the top under dogs of pvp. The reign of must come to an end.