Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Crit Heal Bonus and PVP

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
Any thoughts on how this will affect pvp? I see this furthering the gap between schools with a healing ability and those with none (not counting sacrificing minions). Thoughts? Or are we just shoving pvp under the mat farther than it already is?

Is it possible for KI to adjust how spells/bonuses calculate in a pvp setting? I'm thinking there is since they have gear specific to pvp and are able to ban some spells/minions in pvp.

I'd say in pvp it's worth talking about REDUCING the crit bonus to heals in pvp, especially if nothing is going to be done about guardian spirit, which combined with this new crit heal scenario messes up the 'deck' system even more. Here's what I mean by that:

Using guardian spirit increases the number of spells required by your opponent to defeat you while not changing the number of spells you need, especially when trap stacking. You die, all those traps you placed remain, but any debuffs that were on you disappear!! In many cases it's actually in a life player's interest to be defeated!! Now, every time a person heals, they're also increasing the number of spells needed to be defeated, but the mechanics are different. For the person using guardian spirit, the number of reshuffles needed actually drops, while for their opponent the number increases. To make it even worse, if the guardian spirit CRITS (why on earth does this have crit potential or be influenced by things like doom or sanctuary?!?!) the math gets thrown off even more. And to make it even worse (yes that's right more worser worst) when a life player is first, they come back to life with a chance to make a play before their opponent can do anything.

I know guardian spirit has been brought up before, but this increase to critical heals will make guardian spirit even more of a fiasco in pvp.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2013
MrFlin t on Nov 12, 2015 wrote:
Any thoughts on how this will affect pvp? I see this furthering the gap between schools with a healing ability and those with none (not counting sacrificing minions). Thoughts? Or are we just shoving pvp under the mat farther than it already is?

Is it possible for KI to adjust how spells/bonuses calculate in a pvp setting? I'm thinking there is since they have gear specific to pvp and are able to ban some spells/minions in pvp.

I'd say in pvp it's worth talking about REDUCING the crit bonus to heals in pvp, especially if nothing is going to be done about guardian spirit, which combined with this new crit heal scenario messes up the 'deck' system even more. Here's what I mean by that:

Using guardian spirit increases the number of spells required by your opponent to defeat you while not changing the number of spells you need, especially when trap stacking. You die, all those traps you placed remain, but any debuffs that were on you disappear!! In many cases it's actually in a life player's interest to be defeated!! Now, every time a person heals, they're also increasing the number of spells needed to be defeated, but the mechanics are different. For the person using guardian spirit, the number of reshuffles needed actually drops, while for their opponent the number increases. To make it even worse, if the guardian spirit CRITS (why on earth does this have crit potential or be influenced by things like doom or sanctuary?!?!) the math gets thrown off even more. And to make it even worse (yes that's right more worser worst) when a life player is first, they come back to life with a chance to make a play before their opponent can do anything.

I know guardian spirit has been brought up before, but this increase to critical heals will make guardian spirit even more of a fiasco in pvp.
The overall critical and block system will DESTROY PvP if it stays there, not just the heals. We seriously face enough 'variety' in both PvE and PvP, with all the luck based aspects, and even with training pets and the current critical system itself. Having reliable critical isn't bad for PvE, in fact, it makes it much better and more balanced. Being secure from getting landed on or being easily able to land on opponents is much better than this mechanic where criticals and block pop out of nowhere.
Please know that heal critical increases with the devastating decrease in our critical and block stats will not help in any way. Not to forget that solo'ers will suffer so much from it, as most of them rely on either critical or block or both to survive (i.e. healing, attacking before getting defeated, etc.) and the nasty bosses with unusually overpowered spells *cough* Malistaire *cough* who can land on us and wreck us in one turn.
PLEASE, we've seen enough random factors from pet training to the extremely low rate and extreme time consuming of jewel and sometimes gear farming and to compete in the arena.
If that's what is thought to be a fix, I'd rather get stuck with a low chance of getting landed on in PvP than see completely random criticals and blocks.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
???

Every school has access to a heal (some just have better heal spells). Every school will be able to critical their heals with the increased bonus.

Your post sounds like you have an issue with other schools' ability to out heal you, rather than an actual problem with the 10% bonus.

I personally don't believe the approx. 10% bonus will be game breaking in PvP (players were already able to heal to full with Masteries....even without the bonus).

Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
Oran of Urz on Nov 13, 2015 wrote:
???

Every school has access to a heal (some just have better heal spells). Every school will be able to critical their heals with the increased bonus.

Your post sounds like you have an issue with other schools' ability to out heal you, rather than an actual problem with the 10% bonus.

I personally don't believe the approx. 10% bonus will be game breaking in PvP (players were already able to heal to full with Masteries....even without the bonus).
Um yes, like I said, the issue here is increasing the critical heal bonus furthers the gap between schools with great heals and those with awful healing potential. I even pointed out that every school has access to some type of heal.

At exalted pvp, matery amulets are not used very much at all, and below level 50 there should be no criticals in the first place (this is another problem pointed out by Prince of Shadows in another post).

So yes, 10% is a lot, if that's really what the bonus is. On a critical satyr, it' huge. On guardian spirit, it's a fiasco, as I explained in my post.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
MrFlin t on Nov 13, 2015 wrote:
Um yes, like I said, the issue here is increasing the critical heal bonus furthers the gap between schools with great heals and those with awful healing potential. I even pointed out that every school has access to some type of heal.

At exalted pvp, matery amulets are not used very much at all, and below level 50 there should be no criticals in the first place (this is another problem pointed out by Prince of Shadows in another post).

So yes, 10% is a lot, if that's really what the bonus is. On a critical satyr, it' huge. On guardian spirit, it's a fiasco, as I explained in my post.
Criticals happen FAR less often now, so 10% instead of getting critical every time is really nothing.