Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Matching

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 27, 2014
I've been dealing with ridiculous PvP matching for awhile, but today, I finally snapped. I am a level 61 ice wizard, with 1500 PvP ranking. Today I was put into a match with a level 95 ice, with 6000+ health. Does no one see anything wrong with this?

I've discovered that the common thought is that "Well, your warlord, so its fair that I'm 20+ levels above you." Does no one realize that just because I'm warlord, doesn't mean I am invincible?

Obviously, something needs to be done about this. I've seen the whole new "skill based matching" coming out with Part 2, but honestly doubt it will work. Unfortunately, I don't think anything can be done do fix the matching system to the point where it matches you well. So what do I think should be done about this? There needs to be things that are done during the duel that will even things out. Here are a few ideas:

If you are 20+ levels above me, there is absolutely NO reason I should be fighting you from second. Evenly matched PvP duels can be determined by who is going first, so what do you think happens when there is a 20+ level gap between my opponent and I, and my opponent is going first? I personally believe that if you have an opponent that is at least 20+ levels above you, you should always go first.

Another idea is some form of damage buff, such as in quick match tournaments. Something like a constant 10% damage or 10% pierce (that doesn't increase every turn) if your opponent is 20+ levels above you. This would even things up, especially in the situation where your opponent has access to much stronger spells than you.

These are just a few ideas I've come up with, let me know what you think, and let me know if you have any ideas. Something needs to be done about this.

Explorer
Dec 23, 2010
spitefuhl on Apr 6, 2014 wrote:
I've been dealing with ridiculous PvP matching for awhile, but today, I finally snapped. I am a level 61 ice wizard, with 1500 PvP ranking. Today I was put into a match with a level 95 ice, with 6000+ health. Does no one see anything wrong with this?

I've discovered that the common thought is that "Well, your warlord, so its fair that I'm 20+ levels above you." Does no one realize that just because I'm warlord, doesn't mean I am invincible?

Obviously, something needs to be done about this. I've seen the whole new "skill based matching" coming out with Part 2, but honestly doubt it will work. Unfortunately, I don't think anything can be done do fix the matching system to the point where it matches you well. So what do I think should be done about this? There needs to be things that are done during the duel that will even things out. Here are a few ideas:

If you are 20+ levels above me, there is absolutely NO reason I should be fighting you from second. Evenly matched PvP duels can be determined by who is going first, so what do you think happens when there is a 20+ level gap between my opponent and I, and my opponent is going first? I personally believe that if you have an opponent that is at least 20+ levels above you, you should always go first.

Another idea is some form of damage buff, such as in quick match tournaments. Something like a constant 10% damage or 10% pierce (that doesn't increase every turn) if your opponent is 20+ levels above you. This would even things up, especially in the situation where your opponent has access to much stronger spells than you.

These are just a few ideas I've come up with, let me know what you think, and let me know if you have any ideas. Something needs to be done about this.
Going first is a bigger advantage than versing someone who is a lower level. So if you went first all the time, you would most likely win. You can shield whenever you please.

The damage a pierce buff gives you the same stats as a level 95 with a lower ranking than you. Nuh uh.

So, I am also a warlord with a 1500 rating and from time to time I get paired with a grandmaster with high crit. Not fair, but I deal with it. The system is not perfect, but if KI knew a fairer way to pvp wouldn't they implement it? KI is not trying to intentionally mess with you..

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
natshadowbane on Apr 7, 2014 wrote:
Going first is a bigger advantage than versing someone who is a lower level. So if you went first all the time, you would most likely win. You can shield whenever you please.

The damage a pierce buff gives you the same stats as a level 95 with a lower ranking than you. Nuh uh.

So, I am also a warlord with a 1500 rating and from time to time I get paired with a grandmaster with high crit. Not fair, but I deal with it. The system is not perfect, but if KI knew a fairer way to pvp wouldn't they implement it? KI is not trying to intentionally mess with you..
Honestly how hard you think this would be to do.

No matter what, you don't get people 20 levels higher OR lower.

KingsIsle does not want to implement this for whatever reason, so players who are better at the game are punished. I don't understand it.