Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Many don't play PvP cause of its unfairness

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
I state that confidently and bluntly as I've encountered many players in PvP that have stated that they aren't playing PvP anymore cause it simply isn't balanced or fair. Turns out, just like in real life, people don't like to play games that they veiw are unfair, unbalanced, or broken.

Players wonder why it takes an hour or so to get a match, and the reason is cause not enough people are playing PvP to make it go faster, and a reason why they aren't playing is that they don't see it as being balanced or fair.

In actual game play I ask people if they play PvP, most of the time they say no, and if I ask why they quite often respond that they don't like PvP and think it broken and unfair.

I see a lot of people always trying to keep the unfair advantages in the game unfair so they can continue exploiting them, but all that does is make it so the majority of the players won't even play it.

Defender
Feb 11, 2010
105
Tbh there is only one major unfairness and that's who goes first. If this somehow managed to get balanced many of the other issue like dispels and such would get fixed along with it.

I don't really know you but i seem to recall in the back of my head from previous post from you that you mostly do 4vs4 and that is probably the reason why it could take longer to find matchups. 4vs4 is the least played bracket of them all and the vast majority plays 1vs1 and 2vs2. I usually find matches within a minute or so until my rank goes 1200+.

Haven't meet any people that say they don't pvp anymore due to the current state of the game in fact i keep finding new people who gets into pvp and pvp seems to be growing. This might be because I only associate with pvp people but most of us pvp'rs have noticed quite an increase of pvp'rs over at central for the past 3-4 month.

So all in all pvp would be fine and dandy if they just fixed the issue of going first. Personally I would like to see something like the place of the person going first switches every 3 or 5th round or something similar.

I know there is someone complaining about eartquake removing the stun shields aswell and that it may be considered cheap. Mainly a problem for 4vs4 and as i don't play it it doesn't affect me. Also this strategy takes precision and good communication to setup and there are ways to combat even that cheap strategy in 4vs4 if you suspect the opposing team will be using said strategy.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
Dispels and beguile are the major unbalancers in 4v4 play and that is because there is no warning or defense against them when going last but their effects can be largely entirely avoided when going first. The side that goes last is often robbed of all pips and made afraid to play about anything but still plays cause they have no choice but to play. It is totally unfair, but the 4v4 games in which dispels and beguile are not used often are even matches with earthquake only being a minor problem as a lot of players refuse to chain stun even if they could. It is like the players know it isn't fair to chain stun and Wizard101 does nothing to fix the stun shield removing problem that players can exploit.

I only like to play 4v4 cause when it comes down to it, Wizard101 is basically a card game and to me its more fun and challenging to play cards with lots of people rather than few.

Survivor
Aug 07, 2010
20
They ruined pvp with polymorphs. How are you supposed to kill a guy with fifth thousand health and has really powerful spells? It's no longer about strategy, no longer about how you build the deck. Its who has the best polymorph. I think they should ban polymorphs from pvp. Also another problem with pvp is the ranking. A private against a private seems fair but its not. Like a private level sixty against a private level ten. Another problem is taunting. I think they should make it against the rules to taunt a person cause it is often offending. It should be a friendly duel not a stressing and embarrassing war.I think kings isle should change this cause pvp is no longer a fun thing, its unfair and dramatic.

Defender
Feb 11, 2010
105
rossnick wrote:
They ruined pvp with polymorphs. How are you supposed to kill a guy with fifth thousand health and has really powerful spells? It's no longer about strategy, no longer about how you build the deck. Its who has the best polymorph. I think they should ban polymorphs from pvp. Also another problem with pvp is the ranking. A private against a private seems fair but its not. Like a private level sixty against a private level ten. Another problem is taunting. I think they should make it against the rules to taunt a person cause it is often offending. It should be a friendly duel not a stressing and embarrassing war.I think kings isle should change this cause pvp is no longer a fun thing, its unfair and dramatic.

Polymorphs was banned from lower lvl pvp so that problem is fixed and at higher lvl pvp tbh polymorph is a joke. It might work sometimes but most of the time i'm extremly happy when a player uses poly as they lose all equipment boost so frankly in legendary pvp a polymorph is easier to kill.

As for the rainking system is pairs you with the closest possible avalible taking in your lvl and rank. The chance os a private lvl 10 vs a private lvl 60 is close to impossible unless there are no other players signing up. I'm not even sure that it will be a matchup then. What players complain about most here is that if you do lowbie pvp and reaches a higher rank you will sometimes face higher lvl opponents but thats your choice for getting a lower lvl up so much in rank and the other thing is you can manipulate the system a by pairing with a low rank legendary. People just seem to forgot that matchups are determined by lvl and rank.

As for taunting i'm not even sure if you mean the spell or actuall words. If you mean the taunt as in the spell it's just ridecules as it's pretty useless for anything pvp. If you mean words by the opponent taunting you there is the option to turn off pvp chat and if they use inapropiate langue you can just report them.

Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
22
Yes I agree but let me go in some detail about this.

1.)Chain stunners never fixed
2.)The now Legendary Ice with thier SOT (spell over time) and thier big health and critical and 37% shield against all not even my arena gear gets that.
3.)Used to be Storm and Fire had best attacks Storms ofcourse being first but that has now changed due to the fact of Snow Angel.

I do so agree and as pointed out on several post I have ended my SUB on my accounts

Explorer
Dec 23, 2009
87
i know right! it takes sooooooooooooooooooo long to get a match started. and i think the ranking thing is so unfair. every single time i got to a match i always have really low level people on my team. and the other team always ends up with masters, grandmasters, masters of, and legendarys. and at some point i beat them sometimes because i just get lucky. and i think the ranking system absolutely sucks! i work so hard to get my rank up and then when i go to get it up even higher it keeps going down because i keep on losing :( :(. and it is mostly because of judgment. i think that when you lose a ranked match your rank should not go down i think it should stay the same. :( :( :( :( :( :(

blaze life level 51 life

Colin dragonhunter level 42 pyromancer

Explorer
Jan 04, 2011
73
Actually, a lot of people don't PvP because of the lack of rewards...

If you believe PvP equal "everyone can win"... You are just misinformed. In any game with a real competitive PvP system, certain people always dominate. I JUST started this game and trust me, I know less strategy than most of you; yet I was able to exploit the spell interactions and how the game function in the matter of a few matches; this is called PvP instinct.

Learn how to think like a "max/min" player. I borrowed a term from WoW because they are full of hardcore max/min players. I have seen many players going into PvP without direction or goal and then they complain about losing. Why should you win? What is your advantage? How do you plan on pushing that advantage? Is casting your spell turn over turn somehow better than what your opponent can do? Does your opponent not know how to do what you do? Is there something you know that he doesn't? Is there a certain part of the duel where you are at an advantage? If so, how do you PUSH that advantage to a victory. My girlfriend played PvP and she claims that it's not fun... And then I remember just a few days ago she was winning in it and she really liked it. What changed? I then realized it's because she started LOSING. Then I let her watch me for a few Duels and showed her why I do certain things at certain times and then she just said "Wow, I didn't know so much thought went into PvP..."

Exactly. PvP is about vigilance. You got to think one step ahead of your opponent. At low level PvP (cause I made Warlord with my first character at level 16 !?), the key to winning as I found out was... HEALING. I grinded out a PvP amulet and managed to limit my opponent's healing and then I learnt to attack the opponent when their pips are low. Either way, as long as you get off your 3 Pixies at low level and they don't... You 90% of the time will win. It's like a game of chess. A pawn end-game where you learn to push a minor advantage to victory.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
398
Yingu wrote:
Learn how to think like a "max/min" player. I borrowed a term from WoW because they are full of hardcore max/min players. I have seen many players going into PvP without direction or goal and then they complain about losing. Why should you win? What is your advantage? How do you plan on pushing that advantage? Is casting your spell turn over turn somehow better than what your opponent can do? Does your opponent not know how to do what you do? Is there something you know that he doesn't? Is there a certain part of the duel where you are at an advantage? If so, how do you PUSH that advantage to a victory.


Exactly. To "min/max" is to explore every situation and figure out how to combine certain attributes of said situations in the most advantageous way possible, and THAT'S WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO. (Fun fact #74: "min/max" has it's origins in D&D's predecessor, Gauntlet [I think that's it's name]) In this situation, a "min/maxer" (generally not a good thing to be when talking about an entire RPG) is a "brilliant PvPer."

Basically... let's put it like this. Storm's advantage is it's high Damage per Pip, and it's disadvantage is low Accuracy and Health. Use the advantage in such a way as to not have to worry about your disadvantage; in the case of our Diviner friend, press the attack and force them to go on the defensive (thereby negating, in a sense, your low Health). As for the Accuracy, Storm-only Equipment often has considerable Accuracy bonuses (Also, LIGHTNING STRIKE, for some deity's sake).

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
251
RUBY1234554321 wrote:
i know right! it takes sooooooooooooooooooo long to get a match started. and i think the ranking thing is so unfair. every single time i got to a match i always have really low level people on my team. and the other team always ends up with masters, grandmasters, masters of, and legendarys. and at some point i beat them sometimes because i just get lucky. and i think the ranking system absolutely sucks! i work so hard to get my rank up and then when i go to get it up even higher it keeps going down because i keep on losing :( :(. and it is mostly because of judgment. i think that when you lose a ranked match your rank should not go down i think it should stay the same. :( :( :( :( :( :(

blaze life level 51 life

Colin dragonhunter level 42 pyromancer
I disagree, I think it would make pvp unbalanced more. Imagine walking into the arena place and seeing 30 commanders and 15 warlords. I think they should lower the amount of points you win and lose. Like the maximum should be 15 points gained and 15 points lost instead of 22 points lost against someone 10 levels ahead of you.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
306
I feel bad for the many people who don't play b/c of it's unfairness because it's not unfair at all, and to be honest- I am glad all those players don't play, because that would be more people calling names like NOOB ect when they lose- PVP is the hardest thing in the game to me, and if you can't roll with the punches DON'T play- it's not for weak players, it's for skilled players who understand EVERY SINGLE spell in the game.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
49
There are not as many 4v4 matches because:

1) It is dominated by Ice teams. Ice currently is overpowered, with Legendary 58 gear that surpasses current Commander gear. Ice also no longer has a disadvantage in having weak spells because easy access to treasure blades through gardening and additional buffs special to Ice (like the 45% Ice blade amulet) have made Snow Angel one of the strongest attacks in the game. Combine that with a higher propensity to Critical and you can see Snow Angels hitting for 1500/round.

2) Many people left PvP because of chain stunning. This was predominantly happening in 4v4.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2009
19
rossnick wrote:
They ruined pvp with polymorphs. How are you supposed to kill a guy with fifth thousand health and has really powerful spells? It's no longer about strategy, no longer about how you build the deck. Its who has the best polymorph. I think they should ban polymorphs from pvp. Also another problem with pvp is the ranking. A private against a private seems fair but its not. Like a private level sixty against a private level ten. Another problem is taunting. I think they should make it against the rules to taunt a person cause it is often offending. It should be a friendly duel not a stressing and embarrassing war.I think kings isle should change this cause pvp is no longer a fun thing, its unfair and dramatic.


woah woah woah. obviously you are just stung a little. The ONLY polymorph that has five thousand health points is the gobbler transformation, and he has the weakest attack of them all! So, I reccomend you stop being so cramped, and open up and look things up before you post things you have no idea what you are talkling about! And besides, every polymorph (EXCEPT GOBBLER) has a, or multiple, WEAKNESS. So, look before you leap.

Survivor
Nov 01, 2009
1
jakehjk3 wrote:
I feel bad for the many people who don't play b/c of it's unfairness because it's not unfair at all, and to be honest- I am glad all those players don't play, because that would be more people calling names like NOOB ect when they lose- PVP is the hardest thing in the game to me, and if you can't roll with the punches DON'T play- it's not for weak players, it's for skilled players who understand EVERY SINGLE spell in the game.


Who's saying they CAN'T, as you put it, "roll with the punches"?? How is a player "weak" if they object to negative comments????? Hmm? I think it is the other way around: WEAK players use negative and demeaning comments to HIDE behind their WEAKNESSES, and/or feelings of inadequacy. Usually. It's about inappropriate behavior in the first place. If I wanted to spend my time in pvp shouting out things like "NOOB" or "that's stupid" or "Easy win, you suck" or other combatitive or otherwise demeaning comments, I could. But I don't. Because it is irrelevant to the game. It's a game. for fun. Not a place for these negative or at least, dividing, comments. I definitely want to see more control over inappropriate comments in pvp. Would love it :)
And, PVP is POTENTIALLY *VERY* unfair, for all the reasons people have already brought up. You're blind to think otherwise.
If I'm in pvp and ppl start up with the kind of comments I loathe, I am quick to challenge their comments immediately. See you in PVP. :)

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
1087
Definitely and I say Treasure Cards should be banned from PvP, AT LEAST in Ranked.