Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mantle TC | A Controversial Card

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 09, 2018
Everyone has fizzled a mantle before. It can be in PvE or PvP, but since this is the PvP subforum, may as well talk about PvP here.

Now, let me first say that my stance on this topic is that I don't think black mantle TC should be allowed in PvP. I know this is a take some of you may not like, but there's reasons why it shouldn't exist in a competitive landscape.

First of all - yes it's a bit less than reliable, but using it drastically changes the way someone plays. It's a way to buy yourself a round by flipping a coin to see if someone will fizzle or power - and usually, with how this game works, you fizzle.

For 0 pips this is very unhealthy for the game. Fizzling a mantle is a very common cause of a loss, because it'll disrupt a combo, keep a shield from going through, basically lose you a turn. And any school can do this. An added 55% chance to fizzle, 60% with EOBs, will effectively take an impending loss and turn it into a win if used correctly. They're inconsistent, true, but it's a big issue, and the best course of action [in my opinion at least] is to make them no PvP due to them being effectively an unblockable stun half of the time. I've had people stun me into a double mantle to make me lose three turns and lose the game as a result even after I get three turns ahead of them offensively.

Defender
Jun 14, 2017
JewelKI on Jun 26, 2020 wrote:
Everyone has fizzled a mantle before. It can be in PvE or PvP, but since this is the PvP subforum, may as well talk about PvP here.

Now, let me first say that my stance on this topic is that I don't think black mantle TC should be allowed in PvP. I know this is a take some of you may not like, but there's reasons why it shouldn't exist in a competitive landscape.

First of all - yes it's a bit less than reliable, but using it drastically changes the way someone plays. It's a way to buy yourself a round by flipping a coin to see if someone will fizzle or power - and usually, with how this game works, you fizzle.

For 0 pips this is very unhealthy for the game. Fizzling a mantle is a very common cause of a loss, because it'll disrupt a combo, keep a shield from going through, basically lose you a turn. And any school can do this. An added 55% chance to fizzle, 60% with EOBs, will effectively take an impending loss and turn it into a win if used correctly. They're inconsistent, true, but it's a big issue, and the best course of action [in my opinion at least] is to make them no PvP due to them being effectively an unblockable stun half of the time. I've had people stun me into a double mantle to make me lose three turns and lose the game as a result even after I get three turns ahead of them offensively.
I agree Mantles should be No rank pvp it just so random.

Samantha Max Be Family Friendly to everyone

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018

Agreed despite being used frequently, mantles should be removed from pvp. That includes all spell with mantle utility in its kit until some form of rework is applied. I have seen many times where games that should of ended fairly in defeat gets shut down by mantle with a comeback play. If it remains in the game then it should be determine by how much health you have.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
As I have discussed in my megathread, cards like these, i.e mantle, smokescreen, and weakness should be limited to 3 usage per team per match, thus, reducing its spam usage and making it much more strategic.

Beguile should be looked at as well. Possibly limiting it to 1 usage per team per match.

Most importantly, PLEASE change it so all teams in a tournament have their team names changed to ''???'' rather than ''Lydia Ice Captain'', (or the other generic team names) so no one can identity who is facing who and setting is no longer an issue. It's that simple. This should have been in this update.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
eSnowFrost on Jul 4, 2020 wrote:
As I have discussed in my megathread, cards like these, i.e mantle, smokescreen, and weakness should be limited to 3 usage per team per match, thus, reducing its spam usage and making it much more strategic.

Beguile should be looked at as well. Possibly limiting it to 1 usage per team per match.

Most importantly, PLEASE change it so all teams in a tournament have their team names changed to ''???'' rather than ''Lydia Ice Captain'', (or the other generic team names) so no one can identity who is facing who and setting is no longer an issue. It's that simple. This should have been in this update.
After careful analysis the same should be applied to shrike. Also mantle stuns beguile and dispels are the only thing that counters shrike atm. I get tired of seeing when a match is going good and both players playing well. Yet first to shrike either loses or wins depending on the reaction of the other player Which in most cases ends up not knowing exactly what to do. Hence why i always called it the shrike to win spell. Turns reg pvp into broken quick match pvp.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2019
Mantle Tc is pretty much just a coppout, I agree that it shouldnt be in the game.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011

I never use mantles, except for the occasional Loremaster. I can't be bothered to take up space in my deck with them.

I don't mind them being used on me; I either work around it, power through it, or I get more pips.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Liam Swiftwalker on Aug 26, 2020 wrote:
I never use mantles, except for the occasional Loremaster. I can't be bothered to take up space in my deck with them.

I don't mind them being used on me; I either work around it, power through it, or I get more pips.
I think its a suitable counter to shrike to enable full back lash if needed, a lot of people dislike it but dont realize like weakness- mantle is technically a stat reduction spell.