Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Link spamming is tough to overcome

AuthorMessage
Squire
Apr 11, 2010
I've read different fire strategies where one would use their main deck for "control" while leaving all of their attacks in their sideboard. But I've never actually fought someone with that play style before until recently.

Now my main deck, as it is now is designed so I wouldn't have to rely so heavily on a sideboard. Everything has been evened out so well that I can almost when I need to, jump from one direction to the other with my set up. And it allows me to capitalize, more or less, on opponent mistakes. I've gone through a 35 minute match against a fire who did her best to make use of the life amulet and treasure blades, but she couldn't heal herself, nor quadra blade me for a win. My weakness plus wyrms bite plague spared me 500 points to my KO. I managed to use her own sanctuary bubble against her and healed myself back to control the last 12 minutes to steal the victory, while going second.

But it is the small spells, and the spamming of small spells, that can truly break some players down, yes?

So I fought this sideboard (basically treasure) striker, who solidified his main deck for control of the field. Max fire bubble, max minions and link. It is an interesting and bold play style that works best only as a fire because of one spell. Link.

Link will not only eat my shields but completely erase all of my infections. It constantly adds little heals to my opponent and keeps my health slowly draining. Coupling that with a fire minion, I find myself with no real options except spamming frogs or calling out Talos. Both of which cost too much in pips to really keep up.

I wonder, what's the best way around that without also being a sideboard striker?

I carry a decent amount of bubbles. But I was playing against a tourney player for sure. That was a tourney style. It seems so strange. But because of link, it's one that works so well for fire.

What spells do you think, aside from link, are the small spells, for your own element that shouldn't be overlooked?

Historian
May 01, 2010
For lower ranks, fire elf is deadly (just for fun I decided to see what spamming fire elves would do, practice, didnt want to do real damage on a cheap strategy...if you could call it that). Anyway, my first oppoment was an ice, private like me, and he was so obsessed with healing his wounds, trying to shield, he seemed to have forgotten all about me.

The only problems I faced, was pips, fizzles, and limited amount of elves. I used side board elves because the match lasted way longer than 7 turns.

So my suggestion is try molding your deck into a semi-turtle (yes I am making up terms now), having bountiful heals, fire dispels, and just trying to outlast your opponent, because once those links stop rolling out.... they are basically wide open.

Survivor
Jan 01, 2010
I find that there are multiple spells over looked for death and ice players. Death spells like ghoul, if spammed correctly, can deal a high amount of damage, and heal you. They also blast right through absorbs of the ice and life wizards. Using poison with that makes it a deadly combination.

For ice, shield, shield shield. That makes it near impossible to take you out. But also if you use something like snow serphant or ice beetle, it can make a strong offense. But what i really find useful as a level 64, is using my frostbite. I can get 2 or 3 frostbites off in a row and they can take someone from full health to half or lower in the 5 turns they go off.

Wolf Swiftblade Level 64 Veteran Ice & Katie Darkblade level 18 Veteran Death

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
CorbinW wrote:
What spells do you think, aside from link, are the small spells, for your own element that shouldn't be overlooked?
Lightning Bats. I've easily hit over a thousand damage with them, and that's minus Critical. Deadly in the arena.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Oh, and Power Link enchanted with Colossal is absolutely deadly :) I keep my deck full of Power Link, Fuel, Link, and Heckhound. I can hold 14 Power Link , Link, and Heckhound in my deck. No shields can withstand the constant barrage of high damage/low pip DoTs I can hit, over and over and over, especially with 97% power pip chance and 111% accuracy 8)

As far as I know, Triage is the only way to defeat such a strategy, and then only if the Life wizard carries the maximum number of them.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb/Scarlet Ravensong, Transcended Pyromancer

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
It's always nice to have people actually read the entirety of a post and respond to it appropriately, lol.

Thanks for responses, I do hope my efforts to bring thought into the PvP forum and not complaints is paying off and actually getting people thinking about some things.

Less complaints and more thinking!

Survivor
Jan 09, 2010
Poison Poison Poison
Ha spam the poison especially if you gargantuan it
Then I hit with a Wraith or Frankie when the time is right
I have taken a level 70 Ice out with this method many times
Just let them sit back and breath the poison ion deep lol

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
duncan216 wrote:
Poison Poison Poison
Ha spam the poison especially if you gargantuan it
Then I hit with a Wraith or Frankie when the time is right
I have taken a level 70 Ice out with this method many times
Just let them sit back and breath the poison ion deep lol

Oh man, the updates have really allowed death to turn poison into a devastating hit like frostbite spamming haha.

A death with infallible and two blades hit me with poison... 409 points of damage per round!! Yeah... good times :/